Stumbled upon this: ”the holy grail”

I tried to search the forum but couldn’t find anything about this. This is a really good description about the feel to get the shaft to pitch into the correct P6 position to facilitate a good path into the ball, calls it the holy grail of golf 😃 Really liked his way of explaining this despite the low production value. Has anyone else seen his channel? A bit like Monte in his early days...

Overhand golf at youtube

• Like 3
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I took lessons from Mike Austin who's swing formula is almost a complete 180 from what's being taught today. He would be ridiculed off the forum in no time for not conforming to the "echo chamber". 

I'm with @NHO, above. If you like the video and it helps you, that's all that matters. If Butch Harmon did this video, everyone would have their PayPal accounts send him $10 for the tip.   P

The thought/feel of swinging to a point further behind the ball is something that Jake Hutt has posted multiple times as well.    

Posted Images

This also contains some more elaboration on the subject. Tried this today and the notion of focusing on something else than the golf ball to hit with the shaft had me hitting something I’ve been chasing for 20 years, a proper push draw with compression http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uEkLLhM_t4

Thoughts? This worked better for me than the no turn cast video from Monte but maybe I just didn’t understand that one... 🤪

Instruction like this makes absolutely no sense to me. I just can’t wrap my head around imagining hitting a ball at around waist level with some spot on the shaft. 

I’m guessing it’s similar the Malaska/Jenkins thing where they set a tee behind the trail foot along the hand path and try to feel the butt of the club pass over it on the backswing and downswing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RobertBaron said:

Instruction like this makes absolutely no sense to me. I just can’t wrap my head around imagining hitting a ball at around waist level with some spot on the shaft. 

I’m guessing it’s similar the Malaska/Jenkins thing where they set a tee behind the trail foot along the hand path and try to feel the butt of the club pass over it on the backswing and downswing. 

I ageee, it’s snake oil.   Unprofessional presentation with a PayPal account to boot.   I hate to be “that guy”, but I have to question the OP’s investment in this as well. 🤷‍♂️

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

2 hours ago, stryper said:

I ageee, it’s snake oil.   Unprofessional presentation with a PayPal account to boot.   I hate to be “that guy”, but I have to question the OP’s investment in this as well. 🤷‍♂️

🙂 hehe haven’t contributed anything to him, just thought it was a pretty good explanation. But I seem to be in a minority here 🙃

• Like 1
4 hours ago, oikos1 said:

Well good lord yes this is the holy grail of golf!  So glad I was blessed to find it on this fourth day October, 2020.  I can only hope the rest of the golfing world discovers it soon.

Haha I have slept on it now and maybe you guys are right, just thought it was a good visual to have for the shaft pitch coming down, but I agree that calling it the holy grail is a bit... much 😅

16 hours ago, even_steven said:

I tried to search the forum but couldn’t find anything about this. This is a really good description about the feel to get the shaft to pitch into the correct P6 position to facilitate a good path into the ball, calls it the holy grail of golf 😃 Really liked his way of explaining this despite the low production value. Has anyone else seen his channel? A bit like Monte in his early days...

Overhand golf at youtube

No, Monte actually went out and spent part of his life observing tour players and seeking self-understanding and figuring out things. 

This guy is just basically copying other people's stuff, and seems to be a very poor imitation of early Monte videos.  I don't get any sense he could really engage with folks that really understand the golf swing in any meaningful conversation BUT I'm not going to watch any more of his videos to find out, lol.  If that is the holy grail, it was discovered a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away (oops, wrong movie).

Really nothing original or revealing at all in there, however, like anything else, if watching this sparks something for you then go with it and hope it helps you improve!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Zitlow said:

I took lessons from Mike Austin who's swing formula is almost a complete 180 from what's being taught today. He would be ridiculed off the forum in no time for not conforming to the "echo chamber". 

Really? Most of us with any sense know the swing is full of intangibles and that the proof is in the pudding. If you’re hitting 13/14 greens, I’m listening 

current swing coached by wrxers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

Just a different explanation of the same drill Pete Cowan uses with his students.  You can often see Rory working on a similar move.  

• Like 1
Taylormade SIM 10.5* w/ Graphite Design VR-5 (X)
Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Ping Tour 80 (X)
Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Tour Proto 85 (X)
Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • 1 month later...
On 10/5/2020 at 8:53 AM, Zitlow said:

Exactly, I have come to learn everyone on GolfWRX is a know-it-all and everyone here some how knows the proper mechanics for EVERYONE on the forum, whether they have seen that persons swing or not. I respect the opinion of certified instructors here and that is about it. you have too many people thinking they are golfs holy grail on these forums and I'd be really curious to see some official handicaps of those that often talk down on instructors.

I remember specifically Monte had a video with Be Better Golf on this same subject, he has Brendon trying to release super early, but combined that with the pivot and he was hitting them flush. From what I remember, Monte was having him think he was activating the downswing by swinging his arms as fast as possible, but in reality, it all synced up.

Edited by Circaflex
  • Like 2

I am a #PING fanboy

20 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Found this video in which the AMG seems to be making the same move.

Then I asked myself, which one communicates a usable idea better, the video posted by the OP or the AMG video?

I vote for the low production value guy who gives an concrete image you can use.

I totally agree with you, I love AMG videos but I often have a hard time understanding what they are trying to convey, most likely because their skill is well above mine and it just doesn't click.

Edited by Circaflex
  • Like 1

I am a #PING fanboy

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting concept.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The Jake Hutt video is gold for handle draggers.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3 & 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                          Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-7                           MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA Tourney Blade 8-P            MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 33/350gr. 1.5 Beach Prototype (A010656)

• 3 weeks later...

OP, 

You don't need to cave on your opinion because others make fun of the video you posted.  Like you, I stumbled upon that video months back and something about his tip clicked for me.  I noticed a difference in my ballstriking after watching this video.  Unpolished as the video is, his "message" resonated with me.  If it helps just one person, it was worth it.

Thanks for sharing it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm with @NHO, above. If you like the video and it helps you, that's all that matters. If Butch Harmon did this video, everyone would have their PayPal accounts send him $10 for the tip.

People learn from different types of explanations and visuals. I have watched plenty of videos that I thought were great and others have thought were terrible. I've also watched things from very well known instructors that I couldn't understand. I think one of the things most teachers would agree with is that the list of top teachers is a joke. There are a lot of great teachers that aren't well known commercially. There are also teachers that are widely known, who many playing pros think are a joke. Mike Bender was a mini tour player that nobody knew and he was teaching at a little course in Iowa when I met him. Now, he's known as one of the top teachers. You know who he learned from, another unknown teacher in Iowa! 🙂  I'm sure he has improved as a teacher over time, but at one point, he was an unknown guy standing on a lesson tee...... I only mention these to reiterate that you shouldn't feel bad if other disagree with you 🙂 

I also see absolutely nothing wrong with the guy allowing others to send him a tip. He's utilized his resources (time, camera, mic, knowledge, understanding, editing, internet, computer, etc.) to provide what he feels is helpful information that others could benefit from, so I don't have anything against him accepting tips. As with everything in the world today, someone has to say something negative. 

Here's to improving any way you get results!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The hand position when the shaft is hitting the trail ball on the plane board looks very similar to the RSS method posiiton which I started working on this fall with success. It is another 'mental' idea to avoid to much focus on the ball on the tee. When you swing a hammer are you keeping your eye on the top of the nail? You line hammer on nail, mark the spot with your brain where your hand needs to end up and swing. He is just trying to find another spot his brain can que on with out it being the ball on the tee. At least that is my view after watching the video. Everybody is different. It this thought que helps a high handicapper/hacker hit the ball better with more consistency, they get the tip for free!

Ping G400 Max 10.5°, Ping Alta CB R flex or Ping Distanza SR flex, std length
Ping G400 3W & 5W, 14.5° & 17.5°, Ping Alta CB, R flex std length

Cleveland Launcher HB 3 hybrid, 19°, Miyasaki C Kua, R flex, std length(currently in time out)
Cleveland Launcher HB 4 iron, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland CBX2, 54°/12 bounce, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel, R flex, std length

Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"