2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Looking at my Short game.....I knew it and did nothing about it, till now

Exactice808

Hey Gang,  So I had a revelation, that I wanted to share, Its a different topic but I thought still relevant to this subforum.

Yesterday I played a notoriously tough course for me personally. This place is lined with trees everywhere and an absolutely tight course.  Its not a long course by all means, but again very narrow and lots of trees. 

Since COVID and having Kids, the Range has been non existent.  My game deteriorated quite a bit to be expected.   I followed the COVID trend and got a Personal Launch Monitor (ES14 used on the bay for $340).  half for the fun of it, and second I told myself I need to keep swinging.

Fast forward now about  1.5 months and yesterdays round.  I have basically a whole NEW bag of clubs,  Newer Driver, 6-PW new irons,  New LW & SW and I changed my Scotty Newport, to a Mallet Odyssey Oworks.  Pretty big changes.

Yesterday was somewhat of a revelation to specificficity, but a seemingly important point commonly discussed here on GolfWRX. SHORT GAME

I shot an 84, with 2 penalties. 31 putts and 4 GIR regulation.

I list all the above data for specified validations.  

1) Tightness of course, I ALWAYS get into trouble so 2 penalties are common for this course (but honestly I spray a bit off the tee, so I get into trouble)

2) 31 putts, I average about 32 putts per round,  This stat did not change (but the next stat would oddly affect it)

3) 4 GIR,  VERY low. meaning I was missing greens a lot.  (I was not hitting irons bad,  just in jail off the tee requiring a lot of punch outs, or just missing greens.

The important stat I think is missing is the up and down rate. or more importantly the SHORT GAME.

OK What am trying to say,

Well since I obtained the Launch Monitor, I hardly hit anything over an 8iron but I actually find myself spending about 1 hour hitting chip shots (LW, SW & AW).  To be 100% honest,  when I go to the range, out of 100 balls I probably hit 20 to the 50y marker.  There is NO short game practice area at any of the ranges I go to, and most of the courses dont have short game practice areas.

I TRULY and honestly know I neglect the short game and to the extreme.

Years ago, before I had kids I would sneak on the the 18th green when the club house closed and carry a shag bag of old gamers and beat balls till the sun went completely down. The MOST short game work I did years ago.  Back then I was a single (7hdcp) (now I say I am about a 12-14)

These last 4 weeks of just chipping about an hour a day has been HUGE,  both in confidence but also understanding about the affects of all of my short game clubs.  (LW, SW, AW)

I bought the ES14 because I wanted spin, and LA as well as ball speed and carry distance

I can say I am pretty mechanical in swing.  NOT the clock method per se,  but after beating balls for a month..... I have really really come around.

3-9 swing with my wedges are a HUGE asset and confidence booster now,  but also the corresponding swing data that I have gotten and then apply on the course.

OK direct point

With Launch monitors (personal LMs) Becoming affordable, the price of clubs going through the roof and COVID 19. I AM sure many of us are neglecting our short game more than we realize.  I had a HORRIBLE GIR stat yesterday,  I didnt play bad, but with the actual practice and the collection of data, I go to the course armed with a lot of confidence to play shots 100y and in.   I can struggle off the tee or struggle with my iron's yet, get me to 100y and in,  and I feel SUPER confident on how to play the corresponding shot,  get up and down and still save my score.  Thats exactly what happened yesterday.   

Outside of lessons, and beating balls at the range,  Getting a Personal Launch monitor with launch angle, and spin specifically for your short game I think would be a potentially HUGE asset for high to mid cappers trying to lower their scores and develop a strong back up tool when your game goes of the rails.  I cant say much about low cappers as they have the talent already to manage their games.  But being a single at one point of my life then leaving that world made me realize, the difference was getting up and down around the green and making putts, not really hitting monster drives or having the sharpest irons....  I will miss, but having the confidence to make up for those miss I think was better than beating balls at the range to fix the miss.

SHORT GAME SHORT GAME SHORT GAME.  Launch monitors with extra data are becoming affordable take advantage.

IM done with my soap box (So you can move on if I type too much LOL.    But If I may share data as well to emphasize how mentally and on the course the LM has play a pivotal part of my game.

Edited by Exactice808
  • Thanks 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Shot data, that I go to the course mentally armed with.

So I was never good at the clock method, I just cant find 11 oclock or 6 oclock.... I have no talent for it.

What I did do is,  3-9 swing,  meaning take the head back to parrel to the ground and forward.  take the shot.

60* LW. Ball square in stance, I grip down all the way to the metal shaft (end of grip) - This provides about 30mph ball speeds, with about 3300rpms of spin with a carry distance of 19y, normal trajectory (sorry I forgot what the Launch angle is). I replicate this shot over and over and over.  On the course this gives me about 20y of total distance, 19y carry and then the 3ft of roll out to the pin for 20y total straight forward flat green.

60* LW, ball back in stance (inside rear foot) same grip,  this provides about 33mph balls speed with 4400rpms of spin,  carry of 20y, lower launch angle (Sorry again forgot),  (a little more distance, but more spin), This gives me the least amount of roll out, checks up pretty well. so a solid 20-21y of total distance.  Great for specific carry distances (short side shot)

60* LW, Ball forward of stance (equal to front foot), same grip, this provide 27mph of ball speed with 2500rpms of spin, carry is 15y, higher launch angle. (this provides more roll out since less spin, but a total of about 18y, less overall distance.  The anticipated roll is for those up hill greens or a shot that I want a longer roll out.

The above is an example,  of the variation of spin and launch angle based on position of the ball,  The ball more back has a slightly higher smash factor and provides more spin due to the steepness of AOA.   Ball more forward of stance has less ball speed/reduced smash factor, less spin due to AOA (and of course less speed).   This variation and knowing and understanding this, Allows me to Attack a pin and a specific pin location with MORE confidence as I understand EXACTLY what the ball is doing.

I take all the above info and and change the grip THATS IT.  meaning. the above again is all the way down to the base of the grip from a normal full grip.

Next I take the same LW, grab the middle of the grip.  This is my 30y distances.  But the ball positions vary the Launch angle and spin. (More forward, less speed, less spin, more roll out.  More back, more speed, and more spin)

Next is the the full grip (same 3-9 swing)  this provides 40y distances.

With the above, I now have 20-40y covered with varying trajectories and spin.  THIS IS HUGE to know exactly how the ball flights, spin and knowing the carry distances.  Especially those short sided chips to pin locations that might either be straight forward or difficult.

I did the EXACT same thing with the SW and the AW.

SW-grip to the metal, - 30y

SW-grip to middle - 40y

SW-full grip - 50y

AW-grip to metal -40y

AW-grip to middle - 50y

AW-full grip - 60y

Again ball position dictates now how much Launch I need and how much spin.

I now have LW-AW, with launch and spin LOCKED in completely.  If I am close enough to pace the distance (20 paces is 20y for me) or far enough back to use my laser.  I have these distance down solid.  Its amazing, the mental confidence to surely know how the ball reacts or what type of shot to apply.

This was completely verified yesterday, as I shot or walked of distances, and played a specific pin, I made a lot of up and downs/recoveries. Or the Putts much closer than I have ever, to scramble better.

31 putts still sucked but that was me, YET I know though they were a lot closer than normal and it was due to the REAL practice I put in and the Launch monitor work I put in.

HUGE tool I highly suggest it along with lessons.   But again the prices have become worth it.  a NEW driver for $499 or a Launch monitor at $499 that you can use at ANYTIME........ 

Edited by Exactice808
  • Thanks 2

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• Exactice808 changed the title to Looking at my Short game.....I knew it and did nothing about it, till now
  • 2 weeks later...

Take a look at the TXG live short game lesson video with Gareth Raflewski.  It's long but worth it.  He uses a launch monitor with Matt to go over lots of different shots, and shows how to affect spin and trajectory.  His tip on dialing in 3 yardages with each wedge (club parallel, lead arm parallel, full swing) really simplifies things.  I've watched it a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmprwrkN81k&list=FLWPFxQ9x1Ctr3so64ab-8OA&index=9

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

So an 84 with 2 penalties and 4 GIRs, and 31 putts.

How long were the 1st putts? 

Yes short game is important.  But a number of teachers use it because a)it's a quick way to lower a score and thus "validate" themselves as an instructor.  But going from 84 to 82 is one thing.  Going from 84 to 74 is quite another.  And while you hear "drive for show, putt for dough", that's because the guys at the top end of a tournament are all driving and hitting it well, it's the putting that separates a guy that particular week. 

To wit, when is the last time you took a penalty on the green?  If you went OB with those penalties in reality they cost you 4 shots(penalty and the re-hit).  And 4 GIR....there is a ton of improvement possible there.  Are you firing at flags?  Can you fade/draw the ball into the flag from aiming at the middle of the green?

How good is the data you have kept?  Could you get one of the guys' Strokes Gained spreadsheets and input some numbers? 

Having said that, one of the drills I like to do at the short game area is to put a bunch of little 3 ball "stations" in kind of an S pattern from the deep end to about 10 yards short of the green.  We have 3 flags on our green, so you can adjust accordingly.  I use 3 balls at each spot because I use my 52*, 56* and 60*, hitting one ball from each spot with each club.  I do all the 52s, then go back with the 56, etc. Shoot at a different flag so there is a different shot each time.  I keep a running tally.  10 points if I sink it, 5 points for within 3 feet, 3 points for 10 feet, 1 for on the green, and -1 for missing the green.  If you can, use a shag bag of the golf balls you play that may be a bit rough(ie you wouldn't play a round with them but good for practice).  Range balls aren't good to use for short game practice.   Keep an idea of what you score to see if you improve.

I'll then bring the balls up just in front and take the PW-7i and hit a ball to each flag from 3 different spots.  For this one and the prior one adjust your ranges to fit your level.  But try to give yourself an incentive.

You also want to practice out of tough lies.  I don't keep track of scores on those obviously because it's less controllable, but getting comfortable from that is important as well.

Another important thing is know when to take your medicine.  Can you try to get close without leaving yourself in a bad spot?  OR should you get on the green, give an outside chance of par, but no worse than bogey?  Do you use the same club on all chips?  Lots of layers here.

• Like 1