DG 'Spinner' vs. DG S400 shafts

rwhitlock

You should get fit and find the shaft that works best for you. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Hzrdus RDX Blue 70g 6.0 

2H: Callaway Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff 

3H: Sub70 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped XStiff 

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid (Backup 54*,60*: Ping S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: Putter: TAII #2  

Ball: Snell MTB-X

Tracked by Arccos

A little history: This appears to be "phase 3" of Spinner Wedge shafts.

During the early 2000s, a company called Royal Precision developed the Project X and Rifle shafts. The Rifle family had a Rifle Spinner wedge shaft. When RP went out of business, RP shaft engineer Kim Braly went to FST and started the KBS line of golf shafts.

True Temper bought the RP patents, and soon developed the DG Spinner Wedge flex shaft. The GolfWorks components catalog first carried it in 2011, up through 2017. Here is the traditional DG Spinner info:

image.png.42f6da3523f258a92dbc38d7ba090a65.png

DG Spinner featured a Wedge flex at 124 grams for PW and GW, and a Wedge+ flex at 131 grams for SW and LW.

These DG Spinners were available as component shafts and also as upcharge shafts for many club manufacturers. This jointed shaft had an unusual feel, some liked it while others didn't.

-----------------------------------------

Note: The Cleveland wedge TRAction (Tour Reflex Action) shaft had a similar flex dynamic to the above DG Spinner, but without the kinked joint. TRAction shafts were stock in several cycles of CG wedges, including the CG14 circa 2009.

------------------------------------------

This latest spinner appears to be the Dynamic Golf Spinner WEDGE Tour Issue. According to TT site, this latest DG Spinner weighs slightly less and has a livelier tip than the DG S400. Also, this latest Spinner version does not appear to have the mid-shaft joint section.

Details: https://www.truetemper.com/products/dynamic-gold-spinner/

Hint: Get fitted. Make sure you get a shaft that you like, and works for you.

Edited by ChipNRun
Grammar fix.
  • Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

32 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

During the early 2000s, a company called Royal Precision developed the Project X and Rifle shafts. The Rifle family had a Rifle Spinner wedge shaft. When RP went out of business, RP shaft engineer Kim Braly went to FST and started the KBS line of golf shafts.

True Temper bought the RP patents, and soon developed the DG Spinner Wedge flex shaft. The GolfWorks components catalog first carried it in 2011, up through 2017. Here is the traditional DG Spinner info:

DG Spinner featured a Wedge flex at 124 grams for PW and GW, and a Wedge+ flex at 131 grams for SW and LW.

These DG Spinners were available as component shafts and also as upcharge shafts for many club manufacturers. This jointed shaft had an unusual feel, some liked it while others didn't.

Note: The Cleveland wedge TRAction (Tour Reflex Action) shaft had a similar flex dynamic to the above DG Spinner, but without the kinked joint. TRAction shafts were stock in several cycles of CG wedges, including the CG14 circa 2009.

This latest spinner appears to be the Dynamic Golf Spinner WEDGE Tour Issue. According to TT site, this latest DG Spinner weighs slightly less and has a livelier tip than the DG S400. Also, this latest Spinner version does not appear to have the mid-shaft joint section.

The new spinner shaft is akin to taking a 8 iron and cutting it to wedge length. This creates a softer over profile and increased feel and spin. 

I was one of the few that loved the og spinner. The new spinner shafts are good and they work. I do find them on full swing to come up a touch short distance wise. 

otherwise it is a great shaft.

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

16 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

The new spinner shaft is akin to taking a 8 iron and cutting it to wedge length. This creates a softer over profile and increased feel and spin. 

I was one of the few that loved the og spinner. The new spinner shafts are good and they work. I do find them on full swing to come up a touch short distance wise. 

@QuigleyDU,

Thanks much for the clarification. Couldn't find out details on the new one. 👍

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

3 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

@QuigleyDU,

Thanks much for the clarification. Couldn't find out details on the new one. 👍

No problem. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

16 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Spot on analysis of the new Spinner and this is why for the past 15 years I've used 8-iron S400's until I recently went to graphite. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade JDM SLDR TP 430 10*           MCA Diamana X17 60X

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 15*                           MCA Diamana X17 70X

Bridgestone J33 AirMuscle 19*                 Velyx Rome Wildeye 988X
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                  MCA MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101  7-P                                   MCA MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  52, 57, 60                MCA MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 1.5 34/350 Beached Prototype (A010656)

19 hours ago, rwhitlock said:

I have been playing the RTX4 wedges which have the DG S400 stock shafts.  I'm looking at picking up the newer Zipcore 46 and 50* wedges.  Those have a DG Spinner shaft.   My question is:  what is (are) the differences in those shafts?

Thanks,

Rod

If you're referring to the DG Tour Issue Spinner shaft, it was made to replicate and replace the soft-stepped DG Tour Issue 8i shaft that many tour players put in wedges.  They want the same weight as their irons only more tip action which 8i has.  The problem may be it's noticeably lighter at 128gram compared to DG 132 or 130g Tour Issue 8i shaft.  

• Titleist TS2, 9.5 Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2, 4wd Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White AM
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW MMT 125
  • SM6 F-52/8 MMT 125
  • SM6 M-58/8 MMT 125
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

So essentially, almost the same as s200 shafts that used to be stock shaft in most wedges.  except this has a fancy name, lol.  

• Like 1

F9 9° | Atmos TS Black 6x
Mavrik SZ 15° | Atmos TS Blue 7s
818H2 19° | Atmos TS Blue 8s

718 T-MB 4i | AMT White s300
718 AP2 5 - GW | DG120 s300 ssx2
X Forged 54.14, 58.10 | KBS Tour 125 8i
Toulon Las Vegas | TP Mills Custom Trad II

I current game the RTX4 in S400 also.  I have a set of Zipcore wedges arriving on Friday with the "spinner" shaft.  Hoping the Zipcores have a similar feel, if not the same as the RTX4.  

Based on the quality information above, I'm sure I'll see/feel a difference, but hopefully for the better!  I'll let you know how they compare for me at the range.  Worst case scenario is I re-shaft the Zipcores with my RTX4 shafts.

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60X | SIM 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | SIM 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | ZX7 - shafts TBD | Zipcore 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

Took out the Zipcores with the stock DG Spinner shafts to the range the other day.  I also brought out my RTX4 wedges (DG TI S400).  Both sets are the same loft and grinds, so no real difference in the heads, other than the zipcore technology.  

Did not see much difference in distance or flight.  But the feel of the DG Spinners were not for me.  Mostly, the fact it was noticeably lighter and just didn't "feel" right.  I was able to hit all my shots with the RTX4, but zipcores were very inconsistent for me.  

I think the weight really played mind games with my shots.  Also, didn't like the lighter feel on pitches and chips.  Gonna re-shaft then with DG TI S400 and compare them again.

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60X | SIM 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | SIM 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | ZX7 - shafts TBD | Zipcore 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

I now have several rounds with my new Zipcores (46* and 50*).  I really like them.  They feel smooth and solid, with good compression on the ball.  When I try to jump on one and my sequencing gets off, the feel is poor.  So, for *me* I'm keeping them in my bag 🙂 and making controlled swings to keep consistency.

• 8 months later...

Older thread, but I just got a set of zipcores recently and 100% I didn't like the spinner in PW and GW, so I swapped them for x1 SS, but I'm on the fence about swapping them in SW/LW.

Ideally, I want max spin around the greens (using the tiger ball for that reason), but I'm having issues with the spinners feeling vague and launching too high.

I was thinking of switching to S400, but I've never used one. I've only ever used $ taper 130 in SW/LW, and s200 in LW. Both of which I've had good results with, but it feels like I'm missing something with both options. Should I go for the s4's? 

Edited by rt_charger

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, pgoi said:

has anyone tried tipping the Dynamic gold spinner shaft 1/2" maybe?

Then you get close to a #9 instead of a #8, so just use the #9 then since it has more weight NET cut, and due to shaft walls is stiffer.

I can see thats there is some confusion about what a "spinner" shaft is, and we can only judge it as a spinner if its STRONGER and deliver LESS dynamic loft than what we play in irons.

A DG S300 player who uses X100 #8 for wedge, has "spinner wedge" shafts.
A DG X100 player who uses X100 #8 for wedge, DONT....

Keep that in mind when you judge this, ONLY if its stiffer and deliver less dynamic loft than your iron shafts, it will deliver MORE spin in wedge, but if its softer than your irons, launch goes up, but spin goes DOWN.

So, they might have launched a X100 #8 as "spinner", but the X100 iron player will get more spin by using a std DGX 100 #9, and even more if he "Tiger step" a #9 iron shaft, (tip trim it 3/8-4/8) to get close to the PW shaft TT dont offer anymore)

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:56 PM, QuigleyDU said:

Yeah the original spinners were an acquired taste and people seemed to love them or hate them with little in between.  I fell into the latter category.  However the newer iteration described here sounds like it might be designed to bridge that gap.

• Like 1

TEE EXS 220 10.5*

TEE EXS 220 15*
TEE EXS Pro 19*/22*
W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
W/S PMP RAW 52/56/60
White Hot OG 7

On 10/6/2020 at 10:24 AM, ChipNRun said:

Seems to be a soft stepped s200 shaft.first step 1/2 inch further from hozel than normal

Fancy label too

1 hour ago, Thayneil said:

Seems to be a soft stepped s200 shaft.first step 1/2 inch further from hozel than normal

Fancy label too

Nope its a X100 #8 iron shaft.
DG X100 = 130 grams / 37 = 3.51 grams per inch
Using the #8 is SS1, so we loose half the weight of 1 inch (3.51 / 2)  = 1.75 grams
130 minus 1.75 = 128.25 or 128 grams
Tip section should be 6.5" long (standard X100 #8)

2 hours ago, pgoi said:

thanks for the insightful info howard

now im just full on confused

i play s300 shaft

i use the rtx full face and getting higher launch lower spin with wedge

switch to my S400, i get lower launch higher spin

if i read correctly, if the dg spinner is x100 i should be getting lower launch higher spin correct?

For short YES....

Spin progression stops and goes the other way at some point. Trackman say its at a spin loft of 45 (Dynamic loft + AOA), but it seems to be a tad higher, but that means when we are up at the GW above 50 loft, launch still goes higher, but spin goes down.

What the spinner shafts actually does is reducing dynamic loft, and by that "spin loft", and back against where spin is at peak, but that also means launch goes down.

"The book" say that wedge shafts is so short, they cant bend much anyway, but thats not really true, and may players experience more differences to launch and spin in wedges depending on shaft than they do when they try different iron shafts, and the short game is the most important, so find the shaft that works the best for you, dont just play "what ever" because so many say it does not matter, because it does.

Start by weight, then feel, then judge ball flight and stopping power.

ive been advocating "the #8 iron spinner trick" since i became a member of this forum about 11 years ago, and this link is to one of the largest tread about that subject, so take a peak in a read to get a better understanding.

Edited by Howard_Jones

18 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

Nope its a X100 #8 iron shaft.
DG X100 = 130 grams / 37 = 3.51 grams per inch
Using the #8 is SS1, so we loose half the weight of 1 inch (3.51 / 2)  = 1.75 grams
130 minus 1.75 = 128.25 or 128 grams
Tip section should be 6.5" long (standard X100 #8)

The one i saw had s200.on the label! 

When i compared step pattern definetly.one shaft softer

Was in cleveland zip core  full face 58

51 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

The one i saw had s200.on the label! 

When i compared step pattern definetly.one shaft softer

Was in cleveland zip core  full face 58

Are you talking screen code on the butt?
What TIP length?

If this is a S200 #8 iron shaft, its NOT going to deliver more spin, simply forget it.

@Adam C, AKA the mobile club maker is about to make a new video with a "side by side" test using DG S400 #9 vs DG X100 #8, and he did some testing yesterday, but its up to him to tell about the preliminary findings, but its all inspired of what ive been writhing about here on WRX for 12 years now, and the numbers he posted in a PM to me will blow your mind, the difference is HUGE.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Howard_Jones said:

What TIP length?

If this is a S200 #8 iron shaft, its NOT going to deliver more spin, simply forget it.

@Adam C, AKA the mobile club maker is about to make a new video with a "side by side" test using DG S400 #9 vs DG X100 #8, and he did some testing yesterday, but its up to him to tell about the preliminary findings, but its all inspired of what ive been writhing about here on WRX for 12 years now, and the numbers he posted in a PM to me will blow your mind, the difference is HUGE.

The label on the shaft clearly said s200 spinner.

Was at local golf store.i did comparr the tip.to the dynamic gold shafts in other wedges and it was 1/2 longer tip

14 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

The label on the shaft clearly said s200 spinner.

Was at local golf store.i did comparr the tip.to the dynamic gold shafts in other wedges and it was 1/2 longer tip

OK i believe you, but it WANT deliver more spin than a S200 #9, the typical "Wedge flex"....

Spin has a curve vs spin loft, and when it turns, spin goes down.
For IRONS we can "soft step" to gain launch and spin.
For Wedges its opposite, we have to "hard step" (go stronger) to gain spin.

I have no clue about what TT is thinking when they label that shaft as a "spinner", but i noticed that they are now selling Project X #2 iron shafts as if they was designed as a descending weight shaft, so i cant help thinking that they have a inventory dusting they try to push out the door this way.

10 minutes ago, pgoi said:

So why does manufacturer still uses s200 and label it as wedge flex?

Is it to gain better feel by sacrificing a lil bit of spin?

NO, Dynamic Gold S flex has a profile that works really good for a majority of players for wedge, and "Wedge flex" is the #9 iron shaft, and could be both S200. S300 or S400 depending on OEM and what wedge that was used for.

About 10 years ago, you could but a Titleist Vokey, and if it was a GW, it was S200, and if it was a SW, it was S300, and if it was the LW, it was S400, all of them with the label "Wedge flex".

Today there is a trend among amateur players against LIGHTER shafts than the original Dynamic Gold, and thats why the Dynamic Gold line up is expanded to 120 and 105 grams, plus a wedge option of 115 grams so they better match the players irons than the OG Dynamic Gold as wedge often does.

DG is simply a very good profile for Wedge, and the most winning iron and wedge shaft in the history of Golf, but Dynamic has been made since 1942 and is also the shaft with the longest lifespan in production no matter factory, simply because it works good for so many players.

Edited by Howard_Jones
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 1:05 AM, Howard_Jones said:

What TIP length?