Power Golf

I read somewhere he wrote the book before he discovered the secret.  It was printed and sold soon after he figured it out.  The fundamentals in the book are a bit different than 5 Lessons but it does give a lot more insight on how he played the game, hit shots, equipment and strategy.  Whereas 5 Lessons was strictly about his swing philosophy at the end of his career and all that he had learned to that point.  

in neither book did he discuss the secret. That was the Life Magazine article.

fhe biggest difference between the two is that his concept of swing plane seems to be much flatter on the backswing in his later years.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I approach it from the view that he had a lot of secrets and told different things to different people. I mean more in terms of Power Golf being not a book that he wrote before getting very very good. He started winning regularly in the the early 40’s. This is 1948. Modern Fundamentals is after the accident. This is when he played his best golf. 

• Like 1

Power Golf has a copyright date of 1948 but it was edited, typeset, lithographed and published in 1947. The book hit the store shelves in time for the 1947 Christmas selling season. It is pretty typical for the copyright date to be later than the actual release of the book. Publishing was also much different then due to differences in technology. Books took a much longer time to prepare and produce than today. 

The pics of Hogan’s swing in Power Golf were taken from vids shot at Augusta in the spring of 1947, a few months BEFORE he found “the secret”. The secret came to him after he returned home from the 1947 PGA Championship having been eliminated in the first round of match play. He had won that tournament in 1946, his first major win. 

Shortly after he discovered the secret, he said he battle tested it at George May’s World Championship of Golf in Chicagoland. It held up and he won that event!

Edited by moehogan
  • Like 2

People who are super fixated on Hogan's "secret" will always have this twisted view that pre-secret Hogan's swing was somehow "flawed" or rubbish. That is not the case at all sirs. Even before the secret Hogan already had one of the best swing mechanic in the game. And very unique I might add, in a good way.

If you notice from Power Golf to 5 Lessons, to the untrained eyes his swing wasn't that much different. Compared to Tiger and his constant swing change that was apparent in all variations of his swing. Hogan swing pretty much looked the same, with the same majestic rhythm and tempo.

Why is that?

Because the chink in his armor wasn't his set-up, backswing or transition. It was the impact dynamic that lets him down whenever his timing was off.

That's where the secret came into play....

- With it, his game was complete.

- With it came freedom to explore the course with his shot shaping imagination.

- He can hit whatever shot he can imagine with disregard to "swing mechanics". Like an artist who never once gives any attention on how they hold or stroke the brush but needs only to see their vision manifest right before their eyes on the canvas through sheer will.

- Hence his words, to "imagine his way around the course".

How the hell could he do that with no fear of hitting an errand shot?

Because the secret gave him automatic default impact dynamic regardless of his "feel" for the shot shape.

And yes, neither Power Golf or 5 Lesson or Life did Hogan revealed his "true" secret.

Edited by SwagGolf6112

18 minutes ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

People who are super fixated on Hogan's "secret" will always have this twisted view that pre-secret Hogan's swing was somehow "flawed" or rubbish. That is not the case at all sirs. Even before the secret Hogan already had one of the best swing mechanic in the game. And very unique I might add, in a good way.

If you notice from Power Golf to 5 Lessons, to the untrained eyes his swing wasn't that much different. Compared to Tiger and his constant swing change that was apparent in all variations of his swing. Hogan swing pretty much looked the same, with the same majestic rhythm and tempo.

Why is that?

Because the chink in his armor wasn't his set-up, backswing or transition. It was the impact dynamic that lets him down whenever his timing was off.

That's where the secret came into play....

- With it, his game was complete.

- With it came freedom to explore the course with his shot shaping imagination.

- He can hit whatever shot he can imagine with disregard to "swing mechanics". Like an artist who never once gives any attention on how they hold or stroke the brush but needs only to see their vision manifest right before their eyes on the canvas through sheer will.

- Hence his words, to "imagine his way around the course".

How the hell could he do that with no fear of hitting an errand shot?

Because the secret gave him automatic default impact dynamic regardless of his "feel" for the shot shape.

And yes, neither Power Golf or 5 Lesson or Life did Hogan revealed his "true" secret.

I agree with everything you say till the last sentence.  Why was the Life article not his true secret?  How would you know?  I’m saying it was because Hogan said it was. Hogan was famous for being brutally honest. 

• Like 1

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hogan had basically 3 swings while he played on tour. 
1. His early long loose strong gripped swing that made John Daly look compact. He struggled to stay on tour with this swing. 
2. His post WW2 swing, which was very good, and once he applied the secret to it it was his best swing. I believe he won numerous tournaments and one major before the secret.  After the secret he was the best player in the world. 
3. Post accident. This is the swing most people think of, very efficient, but not as dynamic and long as before the accident because of physical compensation.   It made him very accurate but he didn’t bomb it real long like he did before the accident, at least most of the time.  

• Like 1

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

26 minutes ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Here's my answer to your question

So for many years, in many books, articles, websites, discussions etc etc. Hogan had a secret that people were trying to figure out.   Hogan himself claimed he revealed his secret. Now all on your own you have decided that Hogan has multiple secrets.  Did you know Hogan personally?  Do you have some insights or you just talking out of your arse?   

you are making stuff up and putting words in Hogan’s mouth, which don’t resemble the actual words Hogan used, at least that I have seen. Please site your sources and tell us what you know, or are trying to be one of multitudes of bs’rs on the internet that are trying to paint themselves as some sort of expert?   The sentence right here is the biggest bunch of flowery fluff I have ever read. “ Like an artist who never once gives any attention on how they hold or stroke the brush but needs only to see their vision manifest right before their eyes on the canvas through sheer will. “.  

i mean what the hell does this even mean?  Do you work for a marketing agency?  Because there isn’t one substantiated fact in your entire line of poetry. 

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

3 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

So for many years, in many books, articles, websites, discussions etc etc. Hogan had a secret that people were trying to figure out.   Hogan himself claimed he revealed his secret. Now all on your own you have decided that Hogan has multiple secrets.  Did you know Hogan personally?  Do you have some insights or you just talking out of your arse?   

you are making stuff up and putting words in Hogan’s mouth, which don’t resemble the actual words Hogan used, at least that I have seen. Please site your sources and tell us what you know, or are trying to be one of multitudes of bs’rs on the internet that are trying to paint themselves as some sort of expert?   The sentence right here is the biggest bunch of flowery fluff I have ever read. “ Like an artist who never once gives any attention on how they hold or stroke the brush but needs only to see their vision manifest right before their eyes on the canvas through sheer will. “.  

i mean what the hell does this even mean?  Do you work for a marketing agency?  Because there isn’t one substantiated fact in your entire line of poetry. 

Wow, did not expect this level of hostility from you sir, of all people. Even with our disagreement regarding his secret I thought I've always been courteous with you and the opposite was true. Guess that isn't the case anymore.

So here goes nothing...

1. "Do you have some insights or you just talking out of your arse?"

It's just my speculation that he did not reveal all. No need to be rude.

2. "you are making stuff up and putting words in Hogan’s mouth"

It's just my speculation as to how and why that is. Never once did I say Hogan said any of those things. 

3. "or are trying to be one of multitudes of bs’rs on the internet that are trying to paint themselves as some sort of expert?"

am I trying to sell any product here? I even told everyone I do no know Hogan's secret. I just think there's more to it. And again sir, so rude on your part.

4. "The sentence right here is the biggest bunch of flowery fluff I have ever read. “ Like an artist who never once gives any attention on how they hold or stroke the brush but needs only to see their vision manifest right before their eyes on the canvas through sheer will. “.  

I respect your opinion. And yes it is somehow very flowery cause I really am passionate about Hogan and all that encompasses him.

5. "i mean what the hell does this even mean?  Do you work for a marketing agency?  Because there isn’t one substantiated fact in your entire line of poetry. "

It means that Hogan's secret enables him to stop thinking about the swing mechanic. Hope this clears things up

If in anyway shape or form I've offended you, I'm sorry. Not my intention at all. I truly hope we can still have a civil argument regarding this topic. 

Edited by SwagGolf6112
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Wow, did not expect this level of hostility from you sir, of all people. Even with our disagreement regarding his secret I thought I've always been courteous with you and the opposite was true. Guess that isn't the case anymore.

So here goes nothing...

1. "Do you have some insights or you just talking out of your arse?"

Yes.  Read the Life Magazine article. 

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

29 minutes ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

Sorry sir. I accidentally hit send before could finish my response. 

Look, maybe I seem rude, but it was obvious you were speculating, and if you said that up front, then fine I got no issue with that. I think it’s great you have a passion for Hogan, I went through that phase as well, I have read almost everything that has been published that I could find that he said. 

The problem with Hogan is that many people over the years have tried to profit off his secret by writing books, doing YouTube stuff and they really aren’t doing what Hogan did.  It’s really just plagiarism and the Hogan estate has sued some of them. There is a long list of people from Ledbetter to average hacks on the internet who have done this, and frankly I purchased some of their merchandise back in the day.  It did nothing but confuse the issue.  

good luck on your quest. I have a pdf of the article if you can’t find it. PM me I can email it. 

• Like 2

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Look, maybe I seem rude, but it was obvious you were speculating, and if you said that up front, then fine I got no issue with that. I think it’s great you have a passion for Hogan, I went through that phase as well, I have read almost everything that has been published that I could find that he said. 

The problem with Hogan is that many people over the years have tried to profit off his secret by writing books, doing YouTube stuff and they really aren’t doing what Hogan did.  It’s really just plagiarism and the Hogan estate has sued some of them. There is a long list of people from Ledbetter to average hacks on the internet who have done this, and frankly I purchased some of their merchandise back in the day.  It did nothing but confuse the issue.  

good luck on your quest. I have a pdf of the article if you can’t find it. PM me I can email it. 

I feel you sir. It was my mistake to not say upfront that and my wording might have seem "too high and mighty looking down from an ivory tower". I don't blame you or anyone for feeling that way. So on that front I totally get it. So me and you are cool sir.

And couldn't agree more with your statement 

"The problem with Hogan is that many people over the years have tried to profit off his secret by writing books, doing YouTube stuff and they really aren’t doing what Hogan did.  It’s really just plagiarism and the Hogan estate has sued some of them. There is a long list of people from Ledbetter to average hacks on the internet who have done this, and frankly I purchased some of their merchandise back in the day.  It did nothing but confuse the issue. "

In my attempt to do the opposite of that, I might've gone about it the wrong way. And for that I will re-think my strategy in expressing my thoughts and opinions regarding this matter. 

With that being said... I still am a firm believer that Hogan did left out the most important aspect that governs all the things he revealed to us. Which I suspect is a certain biomechanical "apparatus" in preventing the dreaded hook in his case. But I also suspect that this in itself could also cured many of the ailments of the golf swing for weekend golfers as well....

As to what that "thing" is, I will wake up every morning. Go to bed every night. In my waking and dreaming hours try to figure out what that "thing" that Mr.Hogan didn't tell us is. My humble opinion which could be a pipe dream. But hey, what's life without hopes, dreams and action to make that dream come true right. Cheers sir! 

Edited by SwagGolf6112
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

I feel you sir. It was my mistake to not say upfront that and my wording might have seem "too high and mighty looking down from an ivory tower". I don't blame you or anyone for feeling that way. So on that front I totally get it. So me and you are cool sir.

And couldn't agree more with your statement 

"The problem with Hogan is that many people over the years have tried to profit off his secret by writing books, doing YouTube stuff and they really aren’t doing what Hogan did.  It’s really just plagiarism and the Hogan estate has sued some of them. There is a long list of people from Ledbetter to average hacks on the internet who have done this, and frankly I purchased some of their merchandise back in the day.  It did nothing but confuse the issue. "

In my attempt to do the opposite of that, I might've gone about it the wrong way. And for that I will re-think my strategy in expressing my thoughts and opinions regarding this matter. 

With that being said... I still am a firm believer that Hogan did left out the most important aspect that governs all the things he revealed to us. Which I suspect is a certain biomechanical "apparatus" in preventing the dreaded hook in his case. But I also suspect that this in itself could also cured many of the ailments of the golf swing for weekend golfers as well....

As to what that "thing" is, I will wake up every morning. Go to bed every night. In my waking and dreaming hours try to figure out what that "thing" that Mr.Hogan didn't tell us is. My humble opinion which could be a pipe dream. But hey, what's life without hopes, dreams and action to make that dream come true right. Cheers sir! 

Hogan had a very dynamic, long loose swing when he was young, hit it very long for a small man.  Rory would be a good comparison except he was self taught and had to figure it out on his own mostly.  He didn’t get the instruction Rory had as a youth, so it took him a while to become a great player. 

being that he was a hard worker and a good athlete Hogan’s issue was not hitting the ball solid, speed or basic swing dynamics, it was controlling the clubface.  The entire secret for Hogan was learning to hit a controlled fade, that flew straight and fell to the right on the way down. He said the harder he swung the better he hit it.  Of course Hogan could work it both ways. 

if your problem isn’t what Hogan’s problem was, then the secret won’t work fir you.  He stated the secret would be a disaster for the average player.  

if you want to know how to hit it like Hogan work on the fundamentals he had in his swing.  There were some great threads here about 10 years ago.  Search for the user Slicefixer.  

The actual secret was a move that stopped the low duck hook, keeping the face square to the swing arch, even with Hogan’s famous 3 right hands. 

• Like 2

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly