Bandon - Trip Report October 2020

Lefty_89

Day Three (continued)

Bandon Trails (PM): The wife met up with me at Trails End for lunch and I wouldn't shut up about how much I loved Sheep. I ordered the chicken adobo bowl (probably my favorite meal of the trip) for lunch and my wife had the sliders (equally as good). The couple that played Sheep with me in the morning (it happened to be the guy's birthday) was able to grab the same tee time as me, 2pm, for the afternoon round at Trails. It was the "last guaranteed to finish" spot of the day and we went off as a twosome, which I loved. The starter, like all of them, gave us a quick overview of the course and spots to take good pictures. Since we were the last ones, he said we could take as much time as we'd like and to really enjoy the round. I was looking forward to Trails the most behind Sheep and it exceeded the hype. A 5-iron off the tee on 1 followed up by a PW to about 10 feet and, correct again, missed the putt to settle for a tap in par. I was really happy to have played Sheep in the morning and then Trails in the afternoon. The contrast in styles and courses was incredible; I felt like someone picked me up from the coast and took me several states away into a forest. It truly didn't feel like both courses were in the same time zone, much less the same property. The sun came out but the wind held back. I loved seeing deer and other wildlife casually strolling through the forest. My wife found one in a greenside bunker that loved to have its picture taken; it actually stopped eating grass to lift it's head and watch our putts - pretty cool. You feel at peace with yourself and could careless about your scoring when you're playing Trails, in my opinion. I was just thankful to live in the moment and enjoy a round walking with my wife and another couple that was just as excited to be at Bandon as we were. The highlight of the round was my playing partner hitting a great looking shot on the par three 5th, then us walking up to the green to see his ball sitting an inch from the hole. Nearly his first hole in one on his birthday - incredible. I put myself in some trouble off the tee a couple of times and wound up shooting an 83. Trails is an absolute masterpiece.

DSCN0862.JPG.a3c6be287882967b024ad3651c3fcc71.JPG

DSCN0972.JPG.ef36fbdb3317d1fcf4e71b05758308fc.JPG

DSCN0923.JPG.61d75776092d8622b336bcabf9558d34.JPG

DSCN0896.JPG.9ba293c606a2fec9aac794877fb6e532.JPG

DSCN0919.JPG.c436c84c3b60fd52d6babf3368b48699.JPG

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, spud3 said:

Excellent trip report!  Glad it was all you were hoping for!

Can't remember if it was you or someone else, but the wife and I stopped at Maysara Winery on the drive down and grabbed two bottles of wine for the room. What a great suggestion that turned out to be!

1 minute ago, toddnt said:

Cant wait to see if SR can knock BT off the throne as my fav... Nice Stuff, those energy balls have my attention, were they in every pro shop?

Sheep just barely edged out Trails for me with Bandon close behind them - can't go wrong with any of the courses!

As for the energy balls, they're $5 for a sleeve of 4 and available at almost every turn stand on property. Delicious!

Great write-up and really glad you had such a terrific experience there.  I can't wait to go back and play Sheep Ranch for the first time, it looks incredible.  Like you said, the peace/serenity you feel at Trails is like few other places.  Bandon somehow exceeds the hype.

You are definitely an inspiration to those of us with non-golfing spouses!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

Great write-up and really glad you had such a terrific experience there.  I can't wait to go back and play Sheep Ranch for the first time, it looks incredible.  Like you said, the peace/serenity you feel at Trails is like few other places.  Bandon somehow exceeds the hype.

Haha appreciate the kind words! I was talking to another guy in the shuttle and he said he had played Trails in the morning but wasn't gung-ho about it; I wanted to rip off my mask and yell "are you crazy?!" because Trails is so serene and awesome. Loved playing it right before dark also.

My wife actually really enjoyed her trip and it sounds like she'd be more than happy to go again sometime in the future! I am already trying to figure out when I can realistically get back there...maybe I'll give Solstice a shot 😉

14 minutes ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

And the value, especially compared to Pebble!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, beckjg135 said:

Awesome write up!!, Im T-minus 25 days till i touchdown in Portland for a solo trip.....appreciate all the tips for first timers (as it will be a first time for me as well)

Don't hesitate to shoot me a message with anything I can help out with! Trust me when I say I'm really excited for you and it'll be the trip of a lifetime. Enjoy it!!

It’ll be interesting to see how the Sheep Ranch rankings hold up over time. I’ve seen lots of people lately putting it their top spot at the resort. My course rankings went:

1. Bandon Dunes

2. Trails

3. Pacific

4. Sheep Ranch

5. Old Mac

Don’t get me wrong, I loved SR, and think it’s the best walk in golf; the views are out of this world. But from a golf course standpoint, there was something left to be desired. I guess that’s why the resort is so popular. Everyone’s rankings are completely different, but there is never a wrong ranking. Glad to hear you had a great trip!

• Like 2

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

4 minutes ago, 10&8 said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the Sheep Ranch rankings hold up over time. I’ve seen lots of people lately putting it their top spot at the resort. My course rankings went:

1. Bandon Dunes

2. Trails

3. Pacific

4. Sheep Ranch

5. Old Mac

Don’t get me wrong, I loved SR, and think it’s the best walk in golf; the views are out of this world. But from a golf course standpoint, there was something left to be desired. I guess that’s why the resort is so popular. Everyone’s rankings are completely different, but there is never a wrong ranking. Glad to hear you had a great trip!

Honestly the more I think back and even looking at pictures, I feel the "top-tier" is Sheep, Trails, and Bandon then a step down is Pacific and Old Mac. Again, just my opinion, but those three for me are just above the two others. I could make a strong case as to why Bandon is my favorite course and then argue why Trails is, too. Maybe if I was playing better on Pac it would be higher up my list, who knows. Just out of pure replay value though, if someone called me today and said if I could get two rounds in...I'd have a tough time deciding between Sheep, Trails, and Bandon.

The only way to know for certain is to get back as soon as I can for more rounds!

Edited by Lefty_89

6 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Honestly the more I think back and even looking at pictures, I feel the "top-tier" is Sheep, Trails, and Bandon then a step down is Pacific and Old Mac. Again, just my opinion, but those three for me are just above the two others. I could make a strong case as to why Bandon is my favorite course and then argue why Trails is, too. Maybe if I was playing better on Pac it would be higher up my list, who knows. Just out of pure replay value though, if someone called me today and said if I could get two rounds in...I'd have a tough time deciding between Sheep, Trails, and Bandon.

The only way to know for certain is to get back as soon as I can for more rounds!

I hear you there! My first trip was around Thanksgiving last year and did my second trip over Labor Day. And I should also note that my rankings were completely different after trip #1. Although I still had Bandon in the top spot with Pacific a close second.  I just love everything about Bandon Dunes. It’s challenging but fair. After playing Trails again, I fell in love with the serenity and calmness of the property, it’s hard to put into words. And the funniest part is I actually shot my best round of the trip this year at Pacific (74 in a 20-25 mph wind), but it still moves down in my ranking!

• Like 1

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

44 minutes ago, 10&8 said:

I hear you there! My first trip was around Thanksgiving last year and did my second trip over Labor Day. And I should also note that my rankings were completely different after trip #1. Although I still had Bandon in the top spot with Pacific a close second.  I just love everything about Bandon Dunes. It’s challenging but fair. After playing Trails again, I fell in love with the serenity and calmness of the property, it’s hard to put into words. And the funniest part is I actually shot my best round of the trip this year at Pacific (74 in a 20-25 mph wind), but it still moves down in my ranking!

The beauty of Bandon - course rankings changing after each trip!

It's really tough for me to put Pac and Old Mac at the bottom of the list because I'd still pick them over any other courses I've played previously. My ball flight is high and I didn't practice knock down shots much before leaving (even though I knew I should have) so the winds at Pac ate me alive. I also couldn't putt to save my life so Old Mac and the massive greens tore me up! I really feel like I could have broken par if I made a few more putts at Sheep and cracked 80 if I ended up in better spots off the tee at Trails. Coulda, woulda, shoulda. 

It's also funny to realize that my worst rounds came in the afternoons, aside from Bandon the first day. So much for being in "good shape" 😂

Solid round at Pacific though for you - I'm jealous!

Edited by Lefty_89

"The beauty of Bandon - course rankings changing after each trip!"

Yep! My rankings have shifted many times.  Perhaps not outright rankings, but they definitely move up and down the scale.  Unfortunately, OM, has never moved off the distant bottom as much as I try to figure it out!

• Like 1

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

27 minutes ago, buzlin said:

"The beauty of Bandon - course rankings changing after each trip!"

Yep! My rankings have shifted many times.  Perhaps not outright rankings, but they definitely move up and down the scale.  Unfortunately, OM, has never moved off the distant bottom as much as I try to figure it out!

After a couple of times using putter from 25 yards off the front of the green then the ball rolling clear off the back, OM landed respectably in the #5 spot 😂

But like the reverse saying goes, don't hate the game...hate the player!

Edited by Lefty_89
  • Like 1

Lefty - great trip report! Looks like a great time.  

Curious on your wife's perspective and how that dynamic was.  I am heading there with my wife in January and she's not a golfer so just planning on walking along when possible.  Of course, January will be quite different weather wise.  Interested in if your wife felt comfortable walking with the various groups, if the groups you got paired with didn't mind her being there, etc.  I think my wife is a little nervous to be walking along with a random group, although I have assured her it is normal there.  Considering it's January I am only playing once a day (BT, BD, SR) but am secretly hoping it will be just her and I on Trails (what an awesome walk!).  

• Like 1

Just now, graveydellic said:

Lefty - great trip report! Looks like a great time.  

Curious on your wife's perspective and how that dynamic was.  I am heading there with my wife in January and she's not a golfer so just planning on walking along when possible.  Of course, January will be quite different weather wise.  Interested in if your wife felt comfortable walking with the various groups, if the groups you got paired with didn't mind her being there, etc.  I think my wife is a little nervous to be walking along with a random group, although I have assured her it is normal there.  Considering it's January I am only playing once a day (BT, BD, SR) but am secretly hoping it will be just her and I on Trails (what an awesome walk!).  

Happy for your upcoming trip and would be more than glad to help out!

My wife is definitely more extroverted than me, however she was at first worried too about going along and walking with strangers. I'd be lying if I said she didn't enjoy each round that she walked with me. Everyone that I ran into at Bandon, regardless if they were in my golf pairing or not, was just there to golf and take in the experience. I was paired up with two different husband/wife couples (wife non-golfers) during my trip and the wives of those guys were having a blast. I know the weather will be cooler in January, but my wife was raving about the massage center; a nice break from the golf action. I'd tell your wife that just being out there along the coast, surrounded by other folks that are just there to have fun, take pictures, and live in the moment, she will thoroughly enjoy herself! The guys in my group loved my wife being there too - she's been around me long enough to know when to not talk/move/etc. so she never "got in the way". Everyone at Bandon made her feel like she was golfing also and never out of place. Just the special environment and atmosphere Bandon creates.

You should ask Reservations to book you for the last round of the day on Trails; like you mentioned, that walk through the forest with your better half...nothing quite like it! You'll have flexibility going in January and especially as a single. Certainly worth looking in to!

Great write up!!  It brought back a lot of the recent memories I had last month at Bandon.  So glad you had some really nice weather.  Start planning your next trip.  It never gets old.  I've been fortunate enough to gone to Bandon 5 times.  My rankings seem to change every time that I go.  Bottomline, 5 great courses, plus the Preserve.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport