2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Sun Mountain 2021 bag line up

2bGood

11 hours ago, mtp said:

Thanks for the update. Hope the round was a good one for you today. 

Actually,  it was the single worst round that I had this year.   But it was more enjoyable since I wasn't lugging my old bag around.   I know the 3.5ls isn't the lightest but it was a relief.   And with the dual straps I like the balance and comfort.   

Wanted to post an update since I've been able to get a few rounds with the 2021 3.5LS over the last week.  

The weight and balance distribution has been great whether I'm using a single or double strap.  And I haven't noticed any soreness from the straps as they do a good job distributing the weight both over and across the shoulders.   The padding is thinner compared to other bags that Iooked at but it hasn't been an immediate concern.   But will be curious to see if it further compreses over time.

I'm still adjusting from a 14 way to the 4 way top.  I have mid sized grips and carry 12 clubs so 3 in each compartment.   Removing clubs is never an issue but I often notice the friction near the bottom 1/3 of the bag when putting them in.  It's not really unexpected given the design just something that I need to adjust to. 

And any concerns that I had regarding the legs are mostly gone at this point.  I haven't had an issue with the apparel pocket interfering with operation.  The legs extend and contract effortlessly with no binding issues.  I think my one minor concern will be the long term durability of the cables and deployment mechanism. 

• Thanks 2

I replaced an old Ogio with a 2021 Sun Mountain 2.5+.  Good bag, carries easy and light.  2021 adds a small pocket above the ball pocket and deletes the Velcro for a glove, I don’t wear a glove so it’s not a problem.   I was able to look at the 2020 and 2021 next to each other at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I made the decision based on the extra pocket.  I played with 12 clubs midsize grips and oversized putter grip.  No tangle I was concerned with.  FYI the dividers are full length and the middle also has a divider.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tsquare90 said:

I replaced an old Ogio with a 2021 Sun Mountain 2.5+.  Good bag, carries easy and light.  2021 adds a small pocket above the ball pocket and deletes the Velcro for a glove, I don’t wear a glove so it’s not a problem.   I was able to look at the 2020 and 2021 next to each other at Dicks Sporting Goods.  I made the decision based on the extra pocket.  I played with 12 clubs midsize grips and oversized putter grip.  No tangle I was concerned with.  FYI the dividers are full length and the middle also has a divider.

Can you post some pics, no stores carry Sun Mtn near me anymore

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

10 hours ago, Jsk0307 said:

Wanted to post an update since I've been able to get a few rounds with the 2021 3.5LS over the last week.  

The weight and balance distribution has been great whether I'm using a single or double strap.  And I haven't noticed any soreness from the straps as they do a good job distributing the weight both over and across the shoulders.   The padding is thinner compared to other bags that Iooked at but it hasn't been an immediate concern.   But will be curious to see if it further compreses over time.

I'm still adjusting from a 14 way to the 4 way top.  I have mid sized grips and carry 12 clubs so 3 in each compartment.   Removing clubs is never an issue but I often notice the friction near the bottom 1/3 of the bag when putting them in.  It's not really unexpected given the design just something that I need to adjust to. 

And any concerns that I had regarding the legs are mostly gone at this point.  I haven't had an issue with the apparel pocket interfering with operation.  The legs extend and contract effortlessly with no binding issues.  I think my one minor concern will be the long term durability of the cables and deployment mechanism. 

Thanks for the update!

2 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Re catalog:  Thanks for update. Some nice new bags except first item in Men’s category.  Boom Bag.  Built in speakers. God forbid. 

Hahaha, Boom Bag; agreed.  

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

19 minutes ago, Jc0 said:

For those who have the +2.5 where to you put your range finder? I usually keep mine in the top pocket but the one on the new +2.5 seemed to small. I also have bigger hands which meant my hand was scraping on the zipper when I reached in.

I have the 2019 2.5+ (best version imo), when I did have a rangefinder I kept it in the felt-lined valuables pocket (without a case).  I'd just leave that pocket unzipped and reach in-and-out, no problems.  I use a small gps now, a lot easier than dealing with a laser and fits my needs just fine.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

37 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

I have the 2019 2.5+ (best version imo), when I did have a rangefinder I kept it in the felt-lined valuables pocket (without a case).  I'd just leave that pocket unzipped and reach in-and-out, no problems.  I use a small gps now, a lot easier than dealing with a laser and fits my needs just fine.

That is what I mean by top pocket. They reduced the size dramatically compared to the 2019 version. I was able to compare both in store.

1 minute ago, Jc0 said:

That is what I mean by top pocket. They reduced the size dramatically compared to the 2019 version. I was able to compare both in store.

That stinks for the laser.  Maybe clip a clamshell case to the towel loop then?

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 11/13/2020 at 2:53 PM, brew4eagle said:

Found a good deaI on a 2021 3.5LS, pulled the trigger.  Will post thoughts when arrives.

What color?

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

2 hours ago, goheels11 said:

What color?

I went all black.  Was torn between that and the black/light blue.  Just wasn't sure if the 'ocean blue' was a Carolina blue or not since there aren't any locally to look at.  Also didn't like the colorways with the valuables pocket that contrasts so much.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Does anyone know what stand bags have the ability to incorporate the zero-g hip belt as an accessory beyond the zero g bag? Walking 36 with it sounds like it would save my traps. 

My almost 10 year old 3.5 bag has the center pocket tearing off at the bottom. Guess it’s time.... It’s a shame, looks great otherwise. 

Surprised the new 3.5s don’t come with the ez strap system. 

My black "no logo" 3.5 showed up to and as I suspected, it arrived with logos. We'll see how they go about making this right. I don't suppose it makes much economic sense to ship bags back and forth.

In the meantime I've been looking at the bag and so far so good. The two minor things I did notice were that there is no leg locking system for when you put it on a cart or pack it for travel. All my other stand bags have had some way to prevent the legs from popping out.

The other thing I noticed was there is no sleeve for the umbrella. Just the strap at the top that can be cinched down and then the little loop at the bottom for the tip of the umbrella. 

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

My black "no logo" 3.5 showed up to and as I suspected, it arrived with logos. We'll see how they go about making this right. I don't suppose it makes much economic sense to ship bags back and forth.

In the meantime I've been looking at the bag and so far so good. The two minor things I did notice were that there is no leg locking system for when you put it on a cart or pack it for travel. All my other stand bags have had some way to prevent the legs from popping out.

The other thing I noticed was there is no sleeve for the umbrella. Just the strap at the top that can be cinched down and then the little loop at the bottom for the tip of the umbrella. 

Those 2 minor things are standard for Sun Mtn the last several years.  I never used the leg lock when I had a Sun Mtn, as one time I had the legs locked and set the bag down to use the stand and of course the bag went tumbling, d'oh.  Can you post some pics of the 3.5?  Mine arrives tmrw.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Those 2 minor things are standard for Sun Mtn the last several years.  I never used the leg lock when I had a Sun Mtn, as one time I had the legs locked and set the bag down to use the stand and of course the bag went tumbling, d'oh.  Can you post some pics of the 3.5?  Mine arrives tmrw.

it's been nearly 8-10 years since I had an SM bag so it's new to me! Wouldn't have swayed me from getting. I'll get some pics up shortly

Received the 2021 3.5LS today.  Here's some thoughts, mostly vs. my 2020 Hoofer Lite...

1. It weighed in at 4 lbs, 2 oz with the rainhood.  Feels just slightly lighter than my Hoofer Lite, which weighs in at exactly 5 lbs.  14 oz difference is 1 iron's worth of weight, so noticeable but not a big deal.

2. Clubs are WAY easier to get in and out vs. the Hoofer LIte.  Even when vertical the Hoofer Lite is a little tricky.  Clubs go in and out of the 3.5LS with no resistance at all.

3. Straps are very comfortable, and the X-Strap balances just as well as the Hoofer Lite, both are very good in this regard.  The straps are different, hard to say which I like better.  The Hoofer Lite straps seem a bit 'abrasive', but they definitely look better.

4. Pockets- both bags have good pocket layouts.  I think I prefer the PING with the exception of the water bottle pocket.  The PING is limited in size and is hard to get in and out, I've always liked the simplicity of the Sun Mtn water bottle holder.  I do like the PING pocket and key clip inside of the apparel pocket, and I have no need for the 2 side pouches/sleeves on the Sun Mtn, but those that use a rangefinder may really like those pouches for ease of use.

5. Material- Sun Mtn uses a nylon while PING uses polyester.  I've always preferred nylon as it doesn't snag/fray as easy and can be wiped down easily; also it's lighter.  Really comes down to personal preference.

6. Overall- I think the PING looks a lot better and has a cart strap pass through.  Overall very similar though.  If the PING had a similar ease of club retrieval/replacement, I'd stick with the PING for sure.  Will be a hard choice...

Screenshot_20201117-173343_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-173328_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-173403_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-232659_Gallery.jpg

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

5 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Received the 2020 3.5LS today.  Here's some thoughts, mostly vs. my 2020 Hoofer Lite...

1. It weighed in at 4 lbs, 2 oz with the rainhood.  Feels just slightly lighter than my Hoofer Lite, which weighs in at exactly 5 lbs.  14 oz difference is 1 iron's worth of weight, so noticeable but not a big deal.

2. Clubs are WAY easier to get in and out vs. the Hoofer LIte.  Even when vertical the Hoofer Lite is a little tricky.  Clubs go in and out of the 3.5LS with no resistance at all.

3. Straps are very comfortable, and the X-Strap balances just as well as the Hoofer Lite, both are very good in this regard.  The straps are different, hard to say which I like better.  The Hoofer Lite straps seem a bit 'abrasive', but they definitely look better.

4. Pockets- both bags have good pocket layouts.  I think I prefer the PING with the exception of the water bottle pocket.  The PING is limited in size and is hard to get in and out, I've always liked the simplicity of the Sun Mtn water bottle holder.  I do like the PING pocket and key clip inside of the apparel pocket, and I have no need for the 2 side pouches/sleeves on the Sun Mtn, but those that use a rangefinder may really like those pouches for ease of use.

5. Material- Sun Mtn uses a nylon while PING uses polyester.  I've always preferred nylon as it doesn't snag/fray as easy and can be wiped down easily; also it's lighter.  Really comes down to personal preference.

6. Overall- I think the PING looks a lot better and has a cart strap pass through.  Overall very similar though.  If the PING had a similar ease of club retrieval/replacement, I'd stick with the PING for sure.  Will be a hard choice...

Screenshot_20201117-173343_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-173328_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-173403_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201116-232659_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts and the comparison to the Ping. Now I don’t know what to do. I’m still using a TaylorMade Flextech Lite that does a lot of things well. Big downsides to that bag are no full length divider in the middle row and the legs don’t fully retract all the time. I was going to order a 2021 3.5 but maybe I’ll wait to see what Ping’s 2021 bags look like. Thanks again. 

7 hours ago, mtp said:

Thanks for your thoughts and the comparison to the Ping. Now I don’t know what to do. I’m still using a TaylorMade Flextech Lite that does a lot of things well. Big downsides to that bag are no full length divider in the middle row and the legs don’t fully retract all the time. I was going to order a 2021 3.5 but maybe I’ll wait to see what Ping’s 2021 bags look like. Thanks again. 

Pretty solid bet that PING will just do a couple new colors for 2021 since 2020 was a new design for the Hoofer and Lite.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Great review, @brew4eagle - thanks! But now I have no idea what to do. I carry my bag and am deciding between Hoofer, Hoofer lite, and now this 3.5. I've never liked the look of Sun Mountain bags, but the all black looks great. Plus I carry sand, so those elastic side pockets could make life easier. If you carry I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts there.

Regarding Ping, one of their customer service people told me it'll be the same bags in new colors, but who knows.

1 hour ago, CB90 said:

Great review, @brew4eagle - thanks! But now I have no idea what to do. I carry my bag and am deciding between Hoofer, Hoofer lite, and now this 3.5. I've never liked the look of Sun Mountain bags, but the all black looks great. Plus I carry sand, so those elastic side pockets could make life easier. If you carry I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts there.

Regarding Ping, one of their customer service people told me it'll be the same bags in new colors, but who knows.

If you carry most of the time, I'd probably go with the 3.5 so you don't have to worry about managing the tangle with the Hoofer, plus the elastic side pouch is probably perfect for the sand you said you carry.  If I decide to go with the PING, my 3.5 would be available, PM me if you'd be interested in it.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST