11 minutes ago, TaylorMade Golf said:

Friend of my cousin's brother knows a guy at his local club who says he overheard the pro and the rep talking...

You know Mitch Cumstein too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon Z 745 (4-pw) KBS tour-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Studio Design no. 2
Pro V1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want pics give this post a like.  

It would be awesome if going forwards the original forum on a club release was limited to discussion of testing results and specs of the club ordered by members, and a second forum was created for peo

Given that the average WRXer swings at 135mph with a 1.52 smash factor I would say their swings generate more heat than any carbon jet is capable of making. With that said Taylormade probably had to d

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I bet it's going to be a rough driver for those of us who prefer a bit more forward CoG...

I dunno. The Cobra rad moved weight both forward and backward to create a low spin high stability head. This could be similar.. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 7X

3 wood: Titleist Tsi3 16.5 Haz RDX black 70 X flex

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

2 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I dunno. The Cobra rad moved weight both forward and backward to create a low spin high stability head. This could be similar.. 

That is kind of contradictory though, because in moving weight forward and backward, you effectively just end up in the middle. That is to say, you can't have both benefits at the same time, because one always negates the other. The only way you "have your cake and eat it too" is to go extremely low vertically to reduce spin and back on the z-axis to add stability. Moving weight forward to reduce spin (lowering MOI) will always reduce stability, and vice versa.

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 18.5* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

10 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

That is kind of contradictory though, because in moving weight forward and backward, you effectively just end up in the middle. That is to say, you can't have both benefits at the same time, because one always negates the other. The only way you "have your cake and eat it too" is to go extremely low vertically to reduce spin and back on the z-axis to add stability. Moving weight forward to reduce spin (lowering MOI) will always reduce stability, and vice versa.

Yeah I don’t know. I am far from a designer. Maybe it’s more a  mass placement deal rather than a weight distribution deal.. I am not smart enough to know these answers. Haha

16 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Yeah I don’t know. I am far from a designer. Maybe it’s more a  mass placement deal rather than a weight distribution deal.. I am not smart enough to know these answers. Haha

Hah! No worries, I am far from a designer too, but what I do know is that all of this weight movement simply contributes to where the single point that is the head's center of gravity ends up. X-axis (heel/toe), Y-axis (up/down), and Z-axis (front/back). The X-axis relative to the center of the face will determine draw/fade bias via horizontal gear effects, the Y-axis relative to the center will govern backspin via vertical gear effects, and the Z-axis will determine how strong those effects are, which we interpret as stability. The classic SLDR was low spin due to due being forward CG (low stability) and lower CG. It also had a draw bias which was why so much noise was made about moving weight toe side as much as possible to counteract it. People hit bombs, but misses were severely punished as the low stability route to getting low spin is just that, unstable (strong gear effects on miss hits). Since then we have been slowly making our way towards the opposite end of the spectrum with high MOI/stability while trying to maintain low spin. Since we aren't getting the low spin from the exaggerated gear effects of a lower MOI driver like the SLDR, we're trying to get it from lower CG placement, which is inherently much more difficult to manufacture given what we have all collectively decided a driver head needs to look like aesthetically, and that is a shape that is hard to move weight low and back within. Hence carbon fiber, aluminum, lighter weight titanium, and whatever else won't explode under stress that can save weight to be concentrated down and back.    

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS
Taylormade SIM Max 18.5* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX

7 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Hah! No worries, I am far from a designer too, but what I do know is that all of this weight movement simply contributes to where the single point that is the head's center of gravity ends up. X-axis (heel/toe), Y-axis (up/down), and Z-axis (front/back). The X-axis relative to the center of the face will determine draw/fade bias via horizontal gear effects, the Y-axis relative to the center will govern backspin via vertical gear effects, and the Z-axis will determine how strong those effects are, which we interpret as stability. The classic SLDR was low spin due to due being forward CG (low stability) and lower CG. It also had a draw bias which was why so much noise was made about moving weight toe side as much as possible to counteract it. People hit bombs, but misses were severely punished as the low stability route to getting low spin is just that, unstable (strong gear effects on miss hits). Since then we have been slowly making our way towards the opposite end of the spectrum with high MOI/stability while trying to maintain low spin. Since we aren't getting the low spin from the exaggerated gear effects of a lower MOI driver like the SLDR, we're trying to get it from lower CG placement, which is inherently much more difficult to manufacture given what we have all collectively decided a driver head needs to look like aesthetically, and that is a shape that is hard to move weight low and back within. Hence carbon fiber, aluminum, lighter weight titanium, and whatever else won't explode under stress that can save weight to be concentrated down and back.    

All makes sense..

• Like 1

Loved the SIM. Had golf ADD this year and moved too much equipment, including several SIM drivers. I’ve never had so many 300+ yard drives in my life, however a couple high “strong fade” days pushed me to look at other options. I’m back in my 2016 M2 but very excited to take the new SIM drivers for a spin. I’m confident one will end up in my bag this year and hopefully stick around!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, COmedic said:

Loved the SIM. Had golf ADD this year and moved too much equipment, including several SIM drivers. I’ve never had so many 300+ yard drives in my life, however a couple high “strong fade” days pushed me to look at other options. I’m back in my 2016 M2 but very excited to take the new SIM drivers for a spin. I’m confident one will end up in my bag this year and hopefully stick around!

That is interesting and makes sense since on paper, the SIM is basically a lower CG, shallower faced, fade biased 2016 M2 with Twist Face, probably why it's so popular. Pretty middle of the road in terms of stability though, and the M2 is actually slightly draw biased which fits the right miss concerns. 

....And there you go folks..... "Forged Aluminum"

• Haha 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6 -- PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 5 - PW -- PX IO/LS 6.5 ....PENDING!
TAYLORMADE P7TW - 4 - PW -- Black Modus3 LE 115 X
TAYLORMADE MG2 52/9, Black Modus3 LE 115 X; Hi-Toe 56/10, DG TI s400; MG2 60/8, DG TI s400 ONYX 
VOKEY
SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, Black Modus3 LE 115 X; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

1 hour ago, BirdieBob said:

....And there you go folks..... "Forged Aluminum"

Seems to make a ton of sense. Forged aluminum lightweight and strong, without the costs associated with titanium (both material and manufacturing process). If you're going full carbon sole, you likely need something you can machine to exact tolerances.

TaylorMade M5 8.0, Tensei Pro White 60 S, 45"
TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue 70 X, 42.5"
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 3-4, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade P7TW 5-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft stepped)
TaylorMade MG2 52, Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade tour proto milled Juno, KBS CT Tour, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5
jll62's WITB

2 minutes ago, GarretG said:

Right on the money 💰 

Ive actually had a bit of a change of thought on that. What i have determined is a shallow face will be more consistent spin wise from bottom to top of face. A deep face will certainly provide low spin if struck high below the cg line, but will also be really spinny low in the face. What the SIM does is provide really good numbers off top and bottom, which is why i really like it.

1 minute ago, Red4282 said:

Ive actually had a bit of a change of thought on that. What i have determined is a shallow face will be more consistent spin wise from bottom to top of face. A deep face will certainly provide low spin if struck high below the cg line, but will also be really spinny low in the face. What the SIM does is provide really good numbers off top and bottom, which is why i really like it.

Will be interesting to hear how the new aluminum forging possibly increases stability on misses..

1 hour ago, GarretG said:

Will be interesting to hear how the new aluminum forging possibly increases stability on misses..

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

Haha, i dont mind the use of forged aluminum, but i doubt you will see any benefits from it, but to stamp it on there seems a bit... meh

At best, the forged aluminum will add some (small) degree of perimeter weighting for stability. 

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 70S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 23° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 80 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft X

12 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

At best, the forged aluminum will add some (small) degree of perimeter weighting for stability. 

It may allow movement of a gram or two back, but that aluminum piece is already on the perimeter, but again, it has stamping like its some big deal.. aluminum has been used for years. And the forged vs cast vs milled.. are we seeing any tangible differences here?

1 minute ago, Red4282 said:

It may allow movement of a gram or two back, but that aluminum piece is already on the perimeter, but again, it has stamping like its some big deal.. aluminum has been used for years. And the forged vs cast vs milled.. are we seeing any tangible differences here?

My point was I agree with you; the aluminum will weigh more than just carbon pieces coming to a seam enhancing any perimeter weighting benefit. The fact that the metal is stamped can be considered “marketing” however knowing TM, it serves a purpose.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed 9° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 70S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 23° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 80 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey RSX Milled V-Line Fang 

Callaway Chrome Soft X

Guessing the aluminum is a key lightweight part of the chassis to which the carbon plates are attached. The pitch being each part of the head is made of optimal materials to provide stability and durability etc. 

M1 8.5 Diamana D+ 70 X
M2 Tour Kuro Kage 70 X
Rescue 11 18 RIP 105 X
P790 4 X100 SS
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow

All this posting is killing me.  I’m torn between the SIM & SIM 2.  Currently gaming a SIM Max but just wanted to try something a bit more fade biased.  Soo nervous that they knocked the fade bias out of the new SIM 2. Ugh need to get some reviews out here 

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

4 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Exactly. Shallower faces will not only always be more consistent, but will bring the crown down lower, which lowers CG, and contribute to less mass up front just by virtue of being smaller, which helps move CG back. If the face is deeper on the SIM2 then I will easily be sticking with my regular SIM. 

4 hours ago, GarretG said:

3 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I think it is the opposite actually, aluminum replacing what would have otherwise been titanium to save weight. If you look at the structure necessary to support the rear weight on the SIM, it is a bit chunky and likely does not need to be made out of titanium to serve its purpose. Making an insert that replaces the back portion of the driver made from a lighter material likely allows them to make the weight itself heavier, and forged aluminum appears to be stronger than regular cast aluminum without any weight difference. 

32 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

All this posting is killing me.  I’m torn between the SIM & SIM 2.  Currently gaming a SIM Max but just wanted to try something a bit more fade biased.  Soo nervous that they knocked the fade bias out of the new SIM 2. Ugh need to get some reviews out here 

I highly recommend trying what many here have; modifying the standard SIM by dropping the weight of the front track weight (I dropped mine from 10g to 4g) and increasing the rear weight (I increased mine from 12g to 21g). This will match or exceed the forgiveness of the SIM Max while retaining (and actually slightly increasing) the fade bias of the SIM standard. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TaylorMade Golf said:

14 more sleeps...

Then we can start the "What's TaylorMade got new for 2022?" thread 🤪

Why? C'mon...it's "17 more yards" and "Loft up" 😜 ... isn't this the peanut butter sandwich at TM now?

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing