1 hour ago, Sef said:

Speed injection is not special either. Look at the recent TXG comparison with TSi3, all 4 drivers had similar ball speed. The little sticker even says some clubs do not require foam, meaning they are at or below max ct from the beginning, which goes directly against TM marketing.

What exactly do you mean it goes against their marketing?? The speed injection is all about getting tighter  tolerences near ct limits, not gain ball speed...titleist is apparently ct testing their heads too and making sure they are near limits as well. Not sure what they do with the lower ct heads,  or the ones above ct- scrap them? With taylormade, they can err on the high side and have a process to bring it down. At least thats my understanding for it. For these new heads, i would like to hear why they went away from it, maybe a new manufacturing process that eliminates the varying tolerances.

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want pics give this post a like.  

It would be awesome if going forwards the original forum on a club release was limited to discussion of testing results and specs of the club ordered by members, and a second forum was created for peo

Given that the average WRXer swings at 135mph with a 1.52 smash factor I would say their swings generate more heat than any carbon jet is capable of making. With that said Taylormade probably had to d

Posted Images

5 hours ago, geesecougar2 said:

Not asking for something too deep, just deeper than SIM. Something like the earlier M series.....anyway thanks for the info!

I’ll try to snap some pics next time and get more info.  I’m sure there will be 3 models like the current SIM line with a draw model that will have a deeper face.  

Edited by TheMoneyShot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Red4282 said:

What exactly do you mean it goes against their marketing?? The speed injection is all about getting tighter  tolerences near ct limits, not gain ball speed...titleist is apparently ct testing their heads too and making sure they are near limits as well. Not sure what they do with the lower ct heads,  or the ones above ct- scrap them? With taylormade, they can err on the high side and have a process to bring it down. At least thats my understanding for it. For these new heads, i would like to hear why they went away from it, maybe a new manufacturing process that eliminates the varying tolerances.

Just moving from 2 ports on the face to 1 injection port off of the face (in the toe area). Not going away from speed injection, just a refinement (and an improvement visually IMO).

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100
Cleveland Zipcore 50Mid & 54Mid

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

8 hours ago, Red4282 said:

That is my understanding of it too. It was really just a fancy way to tighten manufacturing tolerance and maybe even "save" what may have been non-conforming heads that would otherwise be scrapped. It doesn't surprise that they are "refining" it though to take up less discretionary weight given that the bracket inside the head plus the resin it held was likely a bit of forward weight they might otherwise want back. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

I mean their marketing states all heads are made above the CT limit and then injected with foam to bring the club back to the limit, but the sticker says not all clubs require speed injection meaning they were not above the limit to begin with which contradicts the marketing.

SiM is an awesome driver, but we’ve all seen enough reviews to know it’s no faster than anything else.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

1 hour ago, JMO TO said:

Just moving from 2 ports on the face to 1 injection port off of the face (in the toe area). Not going away from speed injection, just a refinement (and an improvement visually IMO).

I like this, I always hated seeing the ports in the face. Mental thing.

• Like 1

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

This is exactly correct. The idea behind speed injection was to narrow the distribution curve so that more of the drivers TaylorMade manufactured would be near CT limits. The benefit to consumers was consistency and knowing they weren't going to be buying a "slow" head.

Your understanding of the process is also correct. TM targeted making the heads just a little above the limit, tested each head, and then injected a varying amount resin to bring each back down below the limit. Some needed more resin, some needed less, and some didn't need any at all.

Speed injection has been around for two generations of drivers now, so it's probably time for a new process to replace it. I'm very interested to hear what this might be because producing heads near CT limits has become table stakes, in my opinion.

• Like 4

TaylorMade SIM2 8.0, Tensei 1K White 60TX, 45"
TaylorMade SIM2 Rocket 3, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"
TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI, C-Taper Lite 115 X

TaylorMade P790 (2019) 3, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 4, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC 5-7, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7TW 8-PW, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade MG raw 52, raw Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade tour proto milled Juno, KBS CT Tour, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

10 minutes ago, Sef said:

I mean their marketing states all heads are made above the CT limit and then injected with foam to bring the club back to the limit, but the sticker says not all clubs require speed injection meaning they were not above the limit to begin with which contradicts the marketing.

SiM is an awesome driver, but we’ve all seen enough reviews to know it’s no faster than anything else.

You're getting hung up on the word "all". The marketing with M5 talked about the process, but did TaylorMade really claim that ALL heads were manufactured above the limit? 

Everything that is manufactured has tolerances. Their target is to make the heads above the limit and bringing them back below by injecting resin, but there will obviously be a small percentage of heads produced that fall just under the limit. As long as those heads test the same as the heads that needed resin, there is no issue at all.

As I stated above, the goal wasn't to put resin in every head. The goal was to narrow the distribution curve so that far more drivers on store shelves would be very close to the CT limit. For most of the heads, that required resin. For some, it didn't.

Edited by jll62
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade SIM2 8.0, Tensei 1K White 60TX, 45"
TaylorMade SIM2 Rocket 3, HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.5 70g, 42.5"
TaylorMade Tour Preferred UDI, C-Taper Lite 115 X

TaylorMade P790 (2019) 3, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 4, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC 5-7, DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7TW 8-PW, DG X100 (SSx2)
TaylorMade MG raw 52, raw Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade tour proto milled Juno, KBS CT Tour, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

7 minutes ago, jll62 said:

You're getting hung up on the word "all". The marketing with M5 talked about the process, but did TaylorMade really claim that ALL heads were manufactured above the limit? 

Everything that is manufactured has tolerances. Their target is to make the heads above the limit and bringing them back below by injecting resin, but there will obviously be a small percentage of heads produced that fall just under the limit. As long as those heads test the same as the heads that needed resin, there is no issue at all.

As I stated above, the goal wasn't to put resin in every head. The goal was to narrow the distribution curve so that far more drivers on store shelves would be very close to the CT limit. For most of the heads, that required resin. For some, it didn't.

I get tolerances, but if you don’t mean all don’t say “every head” in your marketing. And yes they said every head. Also, the SiM is great but the M5 was slow.

• Like 1

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

8 hours ago, Trav1989 said:

I just hope they have some new technology in it, I will probably buy it anyway but just to maybe justify it to the lady lol

I'm right there with you. Unfortunately with COR(or CT, whatever it is now) being maxed out there is no 'new technology'. Because of this, and me wanting all there new clubs, I wish there was an amateur vs pro segment of clubs. I'd be super interested in what major OEM's would come up with.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - Tour AD-DI 6x

Titleist TS3 16.5 -Tour AD-TP 7x

3- Taylormade P790 - Tour AD-DI 105x

4- Taylormade P770 - True Temper Monaco X

5-9 - Mizuno Yoro MP4 - True Temper Monaco X

46, 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM7 Raw - True Temper Monaco X and S

Taylormade MySpider Flow Neck/Odyssey Tri-Hot #3

TP5x

14 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

One thing ho’s on this site will like is the customized color option on the SIM2 driver.  TM taking a page from Callys book. 

Well that’s interesting. 

TaylorMade MYSIM2 Red 9.0 @ 9.75 Fujikura Ventus Red 60x untipped

PONDERING: TaylorMade SIM2 MINI 300

Mizuno ST-Z 15.0 @ 13.5 HZRDUS RDX Black 70 6.5
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 18 UST Recoil ES 95 F5x
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120x 1 Flat

Mizuno T20 55/9 Nippon Modus Pro 125x

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58 ATV

Rife Phenom.Z 34”
Mizuno K1 Lo 2021 Blue/Red

I just hope they offer a sub 460 model again. 

Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #7

All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
Titleist Pro-V1 High #s
12 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Me too but I don’t think that is going to happen I unfortunately.

Me either 😭 I just like a deep face, shorter front to back driver. It feels easier for me to square up. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #7

All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
Titleist Pro-V1 High #s

I’ll be honest-I’ll look at the SIM2, I am excited to see all the new offerings, but I’m not anticipating an upgrade. Drivers are so good the last couple years.

I have the SIM Max and my only critique is the deeper face.
So I picked up the SIM and plan on removing the sliding weight then increase the rear weight and add hotmelt. 
My thinking is I could have a shallow faced SIM Max kinda head in standard SIM head. 

I think at this point with drivers it’s all about tiny refinements.

With Taylormade offering custom paint options, I see it as another way for them to move more drivers in a time where performance increases are very small.

The ball is more effective in chasing consistency and the distance gains than the driver and honestly, my Ping G20 with the Tour B XS is as long as my SIM max.

Rox

2021 in the Bag!

Tsi2 9°/Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 6.0<br  />Tsi2 15°/Diamana Blue 75X<br />Epic Flash 21°Diana a Ahina  82X<br/>Srixon ZX5 4-6 irons/$-Taper 125<br/>ZX-7 7-PW/$-Taper 125<br/>51° Cobra King Tour MiM Gap Wedge/AMT Wedge Black>SM8 54°
D Grind /KBS Tour S and 60°RTX-4 Black bent time 59°/KBS Tour S<br />Taylormade Spyder S Blue<br />Bridgestone R-XS
Sun Moutain C130/CicGear Rovic cart with Alpharde E-Wheels V24-PW Bridgestone J15CBs /Tour Elevate VSS X

On 11/6/2020 at 11:01 PM, Sef said:

Speed injection is not special either. Look at the recent TXG comparison with TSi3, all 4 drivers had similar ball speed. The little sticker even says some clubs do not require foam, meaning they are at or below max ct from the beginning, which goes directly against TM marketing.

I agree its not special, its just unique tech when needed. Love it or hate it, those little red and blue screws I the face sold some drivers...cause no one else had them. 

The ports are one of my most appealing aesthetic things on the SIM. Each to his own. 

please make flatter options in the fw and hybrids @taylormade

WITB

SIM 9.0 Diamana TB Stiff or PXG Proto X+

XR Pro 18 Speeder stiff

PXG 22 Hybrid Evenflow 80G CB Stiff

Ping I210 or 2020 P770 

Glide 2.0 

Scotty 5.5M with custom welded neck

Pro V1X with Alignment aid

Way too many golf bags, but K1-LO walking and Ping Tour Stand riding

Custom color option is a welcomed surprise.  I am a little thrown off by the lack of weight adjustability.  I really enjoy looking at the WITB pictures for the TM guys to see what their weight set-up looks like in their drivers.  Looking forward to putting 2.0 through the paces in the spring. 

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Futura Phantom
Pro V1

Just now, getair23 said:

Custom color option is a welcomed surprise.  I am a little thrown off by the lack of weight adjustability.  I really enjoy looking at the WITB pictures for the TM guys to see what their weight set-up looks like in their drivers.  Looking forward to putting 2.0 through the paces in the spring. 

Yeah, I feel this driver is a step back in the tech department with the lack of adjustability.  I’m looking forward to hearing the marketing plan for this new club. 

4 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Yeah, I feel this driver is a step back in the tech department with the lack of adjustability.  I’m looking forward to hearing the marketing plan for this new club. 

From a manufacturing standpoint TM will have significant savings with this design.  

Marketing strategy might be: TM 2021 the year of lead tape!  "Lead Tapeier"

Titleist TSi3 9.25*  HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5tx 
Titleist TSi3 5W 18* Tensei AV Raw White- x
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* 54* 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
SC Futura Phantom
Pro V1