Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/23/2021 at 2:07 AM, Cactus Jack said:

 

I haven't played the stock Ventus, but I do have a Velocore version. In my opinion the Blue and Ventus feel very similar. Honestly, in a blind test, it would be hard to tell them apart. Personally, I love the Blue. The shaft provides an incredible load sensation followed by a lively kick into the ball. It doesn't feel tip whippy, but it does provide a lot of action, primarily through the mid section. 

I’m gamling the SIM2 with RDX blue 6.5. SS110. 
Haven’t tried the Velocore so can’t comment on the comparison but 100% agree with this assessment of the rdx blue

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want pics give this post a like.  

It would be awesome if going forwards the original forum on a club release was limited to discussion of testing results and specs of the club ordered by members, and a second forum was created for peo

Given that the average WRXer swings at 135mph with a 1.52 smash factor I would say their swings generate more heat than any carbon jet is capable of making. With that said Taylormade probably had to d

Posted Images

On 4/23/2021 at 4:07 PM, phizzy30 said:

Good question.  I would guess they do.  According to TM the SIM 2 with their stock shaft offerings comes out to D5 but that's at 45.75 inches I believe. 

Yes they adjust the head weight. I ordered mine at 44.5" and they put a heavier weight in the head. (the small weight on the bottom of the club)

  • Like 1

Epic Max LS Tensei 1K 60TX
Titleist TSi2 15* Tensei AVW 75X

Titleist TSi2 18* Tensei PW 80TX

MP-20 HMB 3-PW Elevate Tour
JAWS MD5 50*, 54*, 58*
LAB Directed Force 2.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, alwaysmooth said:

 

Nasty!!! Looks so clean in this color scheme. Making me wish I ordered a custom one as well lol.

Thanks!

TM SIM2 Max 9* dialed to 9.75*, Smoke Black 60g 6.0/RDX Blue 60g 6.0, (Cally Epic Speed 9* dialed to +1D, PX Smoke Black 60 6.0 backup), Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Callaway Apex/Pro Combo TT Elevate Tour S, 4i and 5i TT Elevate 105S, Titleist 50.08F Titleist 54.10, Titleist 58.08, Callaway Double Wide Stroke Lab 35", driver SS 99-104mph

Link to post
Share on other sites

Lovin' the SIM2 Max/RDX Blue combo so far.  Played my first 18 with it Sunday and it just wants to go straight. I can fade it easier than draw but that's always been the case for me.  I appear to be finding the middle of the club face MUCH more frequently than with OG SIM Max, but this is probably the shaft vs. head.  More consistent than Epic Speed but haven't tried the RDX Blue in Epic.  I can try the Smoke Yellow in both (and Mavrik) to test contact and dispersion but I don't have the RDX with a Cally adapter.  Actually was playing Smoke Black in Epic instead of Smoke Yellow with better results, pre SIM2, but had ordered the SIM2 with RDX Blue before making the switch.  It'd be interesting to see how RDX Black performs with SIM2 but can't imagine it better than the Blue (although I am renting the Ventus Black and others to try in SIM2).  I didn't think my 'measly' 99-104 SS could handle the Ventus Black but I was able to demo it with the Epic on the range a couple weeks back and hit it surprisingly well, although I think I could notice I wasn't able to load it as efficiently as the Smoke Black.  Smoke Black in Epic Speed works really well for me when I'm swinging well.

TM SIM2 Max 9* dialed to 9.75*, Smoke Black 60g 6.0/RDX Blue 60g 6.0, (Cally Epic Speed 9* dialed to +1D, PX Smoke Black 60 6.0 backup), Titleist TSi2 4w RDX Black, Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid 19* 70S, Callaway Apex/Pro Combo TT Elevate Tour S, 4i and 5i TT Elevate 105S, Titleist 50.08F Titleist 54.10, Titleist 58.08, Callaway Double Wide Stroke Lab 35", driver SS 99-104mph

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Freddie said:

Lovin' the SIM2 Max/RDX Blue combo so far.  Played my first 18 with it Sunday and it just wants to go straight. I can fade it easier than draw but that's always been the case for me.  I appear to be finding the middle of the club face MUCH more frequently than with OG SIM Max, but this is probably the shaft vs. head.  More consistent than Epic Speed but haven't tried the RDX Blue in Epic.  I can try the Smoke Yellow in both (and Mavrik) to test contact and dispersion but I don't have the RDX with a Cally adapter.  Actually was playing Smoke Black in Epic instead of Smoke Yellow with better results, pre SIM2, but had ordered the SIM2 with RDX Blue before making the switch.  It'd be interesting to see how RDX Black performs with SIM2 but can't imagine it better than the Blue (although I am renting the Ventus Black and others to try in SIM2).  I didn't think my 'measly' 99-104 SS could handle the Ventus Black but I was able to demo it with the Epic on the range a couple weeks back and hit it surprisingly well, although I think I could notice I wasn't able to load it as efficiently as the Smoke Black.  Smoke Black in Epic Speed works really well for me when I'm swinging well.

Also loving the RDX Blue in my Sim2.  Playing a 70gram 6.5 with MCC+4 Midsize grips(anything I can do to fight a snap hook!). It's a great feeling shaft for sure and the sound and feel of the clubhead is amazing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Freddie said:

Lovin' the SIM2 Max/RDX Blue combo so far.  Played my first 18 with it Sunday and it just wants to go straight. I can fade it easier than draw but that's always been the case for me.  I appear to be finding the middle of the club face MUCH more frequently than with OG SIM Max, but this is probably the shaft vs. head.  More consistent than Epic Speed but haven't tried the RDX Blue in Epic.  I can try the Smoke Yellow in both (and Mavrik) to test contact and dispersion but I don't have the RDX with a Cally adapter.  Actually was playing Smoke Black in Epic instead of Smoke Yellow with better results, pre SIM2, but had ordered the SIM2 with RDX Blue before making the switch.  It'd be interesting to see how RDX Black performs with SIM2 but can't imagine it better than the Blue (although I am renting the Ventus Black and others to try in SIM2).  I didn't think my 'measly' 99-104 SS could handle the Ventus Black but I was able to demo it with the Epic on the range a couple weeks back and hit it surprisingly well, although I think I could notice I wasn't able to load it as efficiently as the Smoke Black.  Smoke Black in Epic Speed works really well for me when I'm swinging well.

 

Below is my take on the RDX Blue vs Black. Also, I have an Epic Speed LS with a Smoke Yellow shaft. I'm still testing, but one thing I noticed immediately was the Epic was much heavier than my SIM. I'll weigh the heads soon and do a full review. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2021 at 6:00 PM, copegolfer said:

Went to local PGASS today and was able to buy the last midsize Z grip they had. So I’ll have it ready when my driver comes in. I was blown away by the lack of grip availability! 
CP

lol funny i play same grip.   Good luck 

  • Like 1

TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400 Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball TM TP5

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, malfunkshun said:

When ordering online on the TM site there is a section for 'loft sleeve adjustment'.

If I plan on playing a 9 head at 8.25 and I select -0.75, does that just mean they will line up the shaft graphics/grip logo on that setting or does it mean anything else?

Thanks

Where are you seeing that? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, malfunkshun said:

When ordering online on the TM site there is a section for 'loft sleeve adjustment'.

If I plan on playing a 9 head at 8.25 and I select -0.75, does that just mean they will line up the shaft graphics/grip logo on that setting or does it mean anything else?

Thanks

Yes... I did that for mine. 10.5 set at lower, graphics are all lined up.

 

Driver- Taylormade SIM 2 *10.5 set at 8.5*, Ventus Black 6X

Fairway wood- Taylormade SIM 19* set at 17*, Tour AD IZ 7S

Driving Iron- Taylormade P790 UDI 18*, Tour AD DI 95X

Irons- Ping Iblade 4-6, Blueprint 7-PW, KBS C Taper 130X

Wedges- Taylormade Milled Grind 2 black 50*, 55*, High Toe Raw 60*, Nippon Modus 115 Wedge Black

Putter- Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4, Ping PLD Anser 2 matte raw or Spider Tour Red

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 7:04 AM, gioguy21 said:

gonna sound crazy -- went for 3w testing yesterday and ended up going with last years SiM Ti rocket 3w. I really wanted to leave with the SiM2 Ti; just couldn't justify the price difference when looking at them head to head. 

i think the previous gen SiM actually felt a bit better to me too.


i still have the OG Sim Ti rocket 3w in the bag from last year. Think it’s the best 3w I’ve played in a long time. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very interesting Head to Head over on TXG's channel!!

 

Spoiler

Surprised that the SIM2 Max came out slightly lower spin than the SIM2!

 

Is it that this year the heads are simply identical apart from slight draw bias to the Max

 

Also interesting to see again that the lofts are at 10.5...there seems to be a tour trend towards 10.5 heads too....wonder why??

 

  • Like 2

Ping G410 LST 9' Tour 65 Stiff
Callaway Epic Flash SZ #3 HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
Taylormade P790 #3 C-Taper 120 Stiff
Taylormade P770 4-5 C-Taper 120 Stiff
Taylormade P750 6-PW C-Taper 120 Stiff
Nike Engage 52' Square
Nike Engage 56' Square
Nike Engage 58' Dual Sole
Nike Engage 60' Toe Sweep
Taylormade Spider X Copper
Ping Anser Nickel
Ping DLX Cart / 4 Series White Tour Carry Bag

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nickosbad said:

Very interesting Head to Head over on TXG's channel!!

 

  Reveal hidden contents

Surprised that the SIM2 Max came out slightly lower spin than the SIM2!

 

Is it that this year the heads are simply identical apart from slight draw bias to the Max

 

Also interesting to see again that the lofts are at 10.5...there seems to be a tour trend towards 10.5 heads too....wonder why??

 

Yea it was, I really like Driver Bracket on that channel they put out good stuff. both did well but the results were a bit surprising to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not seen this being talked about as yet, but as a loyal TM 'non-staffer' I'm noticing something I've not seen before at it relates to the pros...

 

Very few of the top guys (other than Rors) have tried and stuck with the SIM2 Drivers, most have gone back to the original SIM. Once again, can't recall a TM driver in the past 10 years that seemingly has not got the love of previous releases from the professional ranks.

 

All indications are is it's not resonating with their top staffers, etc. Most reviews seem to put it as a 'slightly' better performing club than the first SIM, but certainly the best of the best players out there aren't buying in...

 

Wonder if TM is pushing the panic button and wished they would have decided to hold off on SIM2 until 2022 which was rumoured per challenges posed by the pandemic.

 

Thoughts?? 

Taylormade SIM2 460 Driver 9.0D / 7.0D (Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6S) 
Taylormade SIM2 3 Fairway 15.0D / 15.0D (Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 7S) 
Taylormade SIM2 3 Hybrid 19.5D / 19.0D (Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8S)
Taylormade P790 2019 Irons (KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S) (4-PW)
Taylormade Milled Grind My Hi-Toe Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115 W) (50D STD 9.0/54D STD 10.0/58D ATV 12.0)
Golf Pride CP2 Pro Jumbo Grips (All Metals / Irons)
Taylormade MySpider Tour X Black Putter* / Spider Tour X Chalk Putter* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - SuperStroke Traxion Pistol GT Tour Grip
Taylormade My TP Soto* / TP Soto Patina Putter* (Custom / KBS CT Tour) - Golf Pride TM Pistol / TM Ghost Tour Grip
Taylormade Supreme Cart Bag (Black / Grey) Taylormade TP5X Golf Ball
Clicgear 4.0 Push Cart / SkyCaddie SX500 GPS / Bushnell ProXE Laser Rangefinder 
(*Interchangeable to adhere to 14 club rule)
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, tarrantian said:

Not seen this being talked about as yet, but as a loyal TM 'non-staffer' I'm noticing something I've not seen before at it relates to the pros...

 

Very few of the top guys (other than Rors) have tried and stuck with the SIM2 Drivers, most have gone back to the original SIM. Once again, can't recall a TM driver in the past 10 years that seemingly has not got the love of previous releases from the professional ranks.

 

All indications are is it's not resonating with their top staffers, etc. Most reviews seem to put it as a 'slightly' better performing club than the first SIM, but certainly the best of the best players out there aren't buying in...

 

Wonder if TM is pushing the panic button and wished they would have decided to hold off on SIM2 until 2022 which was rumoured per challenges posed by the pandemic.

 

Thoughts?? 


I think it is a combination of several things, and a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Releasing a really good product like the OG SIM is like a band releasing a killer album; in the moment it is great but the expectations are then higher for your next effort with more scrutiny. Deviate too much from what made the original so successful and you risk alienating people, but release something too similar/iterative and it won't make enough of a splash. The SIM2 by all accounts is very iterative and addressed what were really only minor issues in the OG SIM line, namely MOI/stability. That doesn't exactly mesh with the image of all this visible tech with the additional carbon fiber, forged aluminum back, and streamlined Speed Injection though, so you're "marketing story" feels a little scattered. 

If we look at the TS3 to TSi3 however we see a similar "evolution" but with more success on the surface. The TS3 and the OG SIM are actually very similar in that they are massively low CG, low spinning heads with big distance but a bit unstable for some. Both of their follow ups addressed the stability by moving CG further back while keeping it down, but the TSi3 also went back to a much more beloved traditional pear shape AND improved the sound and feel in most people's eyes while adding a better weight adjustment system. All much more objective steps forward I think. The SIM2 however kept basically the same shape, didn't change much in terms of sound/feel, and actually reduced the adjustability. This feels much less like an objective step forward and more of an iterative sidestep IMO. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, tarrantian said:

Not seen this being talked about as yet, but as a loyal TM 'non-staffer' I'm noticing something I've not seen before at it relates to the pros...

 

Very few of the top guys (other than Rors) have tried and stuck with the SIM2 Drivers, most have gone back to the original SIM. Once again, can't recall a TM driver in the past 10 years that seemingly has not got the love of previous releases from the professional ranks.

 

All indications are is it's not resonating with their top staffers, etc. Most reviews seem to put it as a 'slightly' better performing club than the first SIM, but certainly the best of the best players out there aren't buying in...

 

Wonder if TM is pushing the panic button and wished they would have decided to hold off on SIM2 until 2022 which was rumoured per challenges posed by the pandemic.

 

Thoughts?? 

Wow, you truly are a TM fanboy from looking at your bag.  All good bro.  I've been a faithful follower of theirs for their drivers, fairway metals and hybrids for decades.  I've noticed as well as you have that a lot of the staffers have switched back to the OG SIM.  I have to admit that it's that good.  Makes me seriously think about switching back to mine but I'm getting such good results with my SIM 2 on the course that mine SIM is sitting in the bedroom slowly collecting dust............

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Valtiel said:


I think it is a combination of several things, and a bit of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. Releasing a really good product like the OG SIM is like a band releasing a killer album; in the moment it is great but the expectations are then higher for your next effort with more scrutiny. Deviate too much from what made the original so successful and you risk alienating people, but release something too similar/iterative and it won't make enough of a splash. The SIM2 by all accounts is very iterative and addressed what were really only minor issues in the OG SIM line, namely MOI/stability. That doesn't exactly mesh with the image of all this visible tech with the additional carbon fiber, forged aluminum back, and streamlined Speed Injection though, so you're "marketing story" feels a little scattered. 

If we look at the TS3 to TSi3 however we see a similar "evolution" but with more success on the surface. The TS3 and the OG SIM are actually very similar in that they are massively low CG, low spinning heads with big distance but a bit unstable for some. Both of their follow ups addressed the stability by moving CG further back while keeping it down, but the TSi3 also went back to a much more beloved traditional pear shape AND improved the sound and feel in most people's eyes while adding a better weight adjustment system. All much more objective steps forward I think. The SIM2 however kept basically the same shape, didn't change much in terms of sound/feel, and actually reduced the adjustability. This feels much less like an objective step forward and more of an iterative sidestep IMO. 

Agree.  The OG SIM for me can get a bit wild at times but when my swing is on, it flat out performs.  My SIM 2 is more forgiving though on mis hits which is probably why it's still my gamer atm.  I like that the SIM is a bit fade biased for me and that I can still turn it over.  Launch is just a tad to high for my liking but the spin difference is marginal.  The OG SIM has a cult following for sure and will be considered a classic in due time like the FT-9TA was.  When you have last year's Masters winner and this year's PGA winner still gaming the SIM, it says a lot. 

  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

Agree.  The OG SIM for me can get a bit wild at times but when my swing is on, it flat out performs.  My SIM 2 is more forgiving though on mis hits which is probably why it's still my gamer atm.  I like that the SIM is a bit fade biased for me and that I can still turn it over.  Launch is just a tad to high for my liking but the spin difference is marginal.  The OG SIM has a cult following for sure and will be considered a classic in due time like the FT-9TA was.  When you have last year's Masters winner and this year's PGA winner still gaming the SIM, it says a lot. 


Yup agreed, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the pros had their OG SIM's tweaked to get the best of both worlds. IMO all the OG SIM needed was a little less weight forward and they could easily drop the front weight and increase the backweight, or trade it for some hotmelt on the tour van and address any of the stability concerns. Someone in the know on here even said that pros were doing this, I think it was J13. This would make the SIM2 a bit redundant for them, especially for prominent faders of the ball like DJ and Morikawa. 

I'm actually working on a double SIM setup since the the 10.5 turned down with a heavier weight and hotmelt in the back is such an automatic anti-left driver that I wanted to build something I could also turn over more easily. I'll be trading 6g from the front weight for hotmelt in the rear again with a longer shaft and a more square face to hopefully get that big draw bombs while the inherent fade bias of the head will keep the toe strikes from knuckling too much. I actually have a brand new SIM2 in the box that I got as a warranty replacement (awesome of TM to do that) that I may just sell, especially if the dual setup works like I hope it will. 

  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Valtiel said:


Yup agreed, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the pros had their OG SIM's tweaked to get the best of both worlds. IMO all the OG SIM needed was a little less weight forward and they could easily drop the front weight and increase the backweight, or trade it for some hotmelt on the tour van and address any of the stability concerns. Someone in the know on here even said that pros were doing this, I think it was J13. This would make the SIM2 a bit redundant for them, especially for prominent faders of the ball like DJ and Morikawa. 

I'm actually working on a double SIM setup since the the 10.5 turned down with a heavier weight and hotmelt in the back is such an automatic anti-left driver that I wanted to build something I could also turn over more easily. I'll be trading 6g from the front weight for hotmelt in the rear again with a longer shaft and a more square face to hopefully get that big draw bombs while the inherent fade bias of the head will keep the toe strikes from knuckling too much. I actually have a brand new SIM2 in the box that I got as a warranty replacement (awesome of TM to do that) that I may just sell, especially if the dual setup works like I hope it will. 

I've decided to keep my OG SIM as my back up.  I cracked the face on my SIM MAX last year and went driver less for about 2 weeks.  Had to borrow my cousin's SIM for awhile which isn't even close to my specs.  Dark times.  Just by looking at your setup it seems as though you have some serious ss.  I bet you've cracked a few faces in your day.  I suggest keeping your SIM 2 as your back up or at least see if your proposed OG SIM set up works out well and if it does, just sell your SIM 2 and get another OG SIM head as your back up.  Either way it's a win win situation.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I've decided to keep my OG SIM as my back up.  I cracked the face on my SIM MAX last year and went driver less for about 2 weeks.  Had to borrow my cousin's SIM for a which isn't even close to my specs.  Dark times.  Just by looking at your setup it seems as though you have some serious ss.  I bet you've cracked a few faces in your day.  I suggest keeping your SIM 2 as your back up or at least see if your proposed OG SIM set up works out well and if it does, just sell your SIM 2 and get another OG SIM head as your back up.  Either way it's a win win situation.   


Hah, dark times indeed. I am not nearly as fast as some on here, I am a 115mph average kind of guy with enough in the tank to get to 120+, but I trade some speed for stability. I have always had pretty solid launch conditions though so I get a lot out of my speed and my driver heads are always heavy, normally around 3w headweight. My 10.5 fade SIM at 44.5" weighs 347g total whereas the stock SIM2 out of the box weighs 321g. I can get well over 120mph with a club like that but the ball will just go absolutely everywhere. My draw SIM is 45.5" and I will be tweaking the headweight to bridge the gap between heavy headed control and light headed scramble driver bombs. If this setup works well then the SIM2 definitely hits the BST. If it doesn't then I will continue tweaking it and may considering trying the SIM2, but I just that as soon as I take the plastic off and hit a ball that i'll get less for it. 

It has actually been a long while since I blew up a head (exploded the crown off an R11 in 2011-ish). I just don't play nearly as much these days, so i'm just hitting fewer balls. I also never hit hard range balls with my woods when I can avoid it, and the range I was frequenting from 2016-2019 had a mix of generic range balls and random premium refurbs, so I always saved those to hit with the woods. That probably helped a bit. 😅

  • Like 1

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Valtiel said:


Hah, dark times indeed. I am not nearly as fast as some on here, I am a 115mph average kind of guy with enough in the tank to get to 120+, but I trade some speed for stability. I have always had pretty solid launch conditions though so I get a lot out of my speed and my driver heads are always heavy, normally around 3w headweight. My 10.5 fade SIM at 44.5" weighs 347g total whereas the stock SIM2 out of the box weighs 321g. I can get well over 120mph with a club like that but the ball will just go absolutely everywhere. My draw SIM is 45.5" and I will be tweaking the headweight to bridge the gap between heavy headed control and light headed scramble driver bombs. If this setup works well then the SIM2 definitely hits the BST. If it doesn't then I will continue tweaking it and may considering trying the SIM2, but I just that as soon as I take the plastic off and hit a ball that i'll get less for it. 

It has actually been a long while since I blew up a head (exploded the crown off an R11 in 2011-ish). I just don't play nearly as much these days, so i'm just hitting fewer balls. I also never hit hard range balls with my woods when I can avoid it, and the range I was frequenting from 2016-2019 had a mix of generic range balls and random premium refurbs, so I always saved those to hit with the woods. That probably helped a bit. 😅

Oh man, I also demolished the face on my old tour issue R11 dot head and that was toe side.  That one happened while I was at the range fine tuning my driver swing eons ago.  Lesson learned.  Never hit 15 balls in a row with driver with range balls that are as hard as rocks.  MY SIM MAX exploding was a total freak accident when I hit it off the 18th tee at one of the local munis and it felt really weird coming off the face and made a very strange sound at impact.  I get you about driver being too light to the point where the chances of spraying it increase exponentially.  I'm the same way.  Used to play my drivers at D3.  I then found out by adding more hot melt to the head and getting it up to 200 grams with a typical 70 gram range shaft puts me at D5 is what I should've gone with all along.  Better late then never, right?  Ever since then my dispersion has tightened up quite a bit.  I will still hit the occasional quacker, but am finding myself less often OB and more towards the tree line at worst on my bad drives. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Tensei 1k 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2021 3M Open - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #5
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #6
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #7
      2021 3M Open - Tuesday #8
       
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #3
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #4
      2021 3M Open - Wednesday #5
       
       
       
      TaylorMade MG3 wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Mizuno 225 2 iron - 2021 3M Open
      TaylorMade Mini Driver - 2021 3M Open
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 3M Open
      New Odyssey putter cover - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi wedges - 2021 3M Open
      Rypstick training aid - 2021 3M Open
      Bettinardi putters and covers - 2021 3M Open
      Kuch putting right armlock - 2021 3M Open
       
       
       
       
       
       
      • 13 replies
    • 2021 TPC Colorado Champ. @ Heron Lakes WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #1
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #2
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #3
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #4
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #5
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #6
      2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes - Tuesday #7
       
      Titleist T200 2& 3 irons - 2021 TPC Colorado Championship @ Heron Lakes
       

       

       
      • 16 replies
    • 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here.
       
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #1
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #2
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #3
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #4
      2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic - Monday #5
       
      Cameron putters - 2021 Rocket Mortgage Classic
       

       
       
       
       
      • 15 replies
    • 2021 Travelers Championship - Discussion & Links
      2021 Titleist T100 irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist T100S irons (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      2021 Titleist U 505 (in hand photos) - Travelers Championship
      Mitsubishi Tensei K series (red, white & blue US Open) shaft - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      Rickie Fowler's custom Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Travelers Championship
       
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #1
      2021 Travelers Championship - Tuesday #2
       
      • 20 replies
    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 4 replies

×
×
  • Create New...