What's your most challenging iron gap and how do you breach it?

pktaske

Off Ebay, I recently got a combo set of  Apex 19 (5-8) and Apex 19 Pro (8-A). I was wondering why the guy had two 8 irons and after a single round I found out. That extra 8 iron really fills in that gap nicely. Now I get that great Pro feel with the short irons with the added forgiveness of the standard Apex.

Does anyone else have to use a 'gap' club to fill in any sequence between their 3 and PW? Choke up on a lower lofted iron? Modified swing speed?

Edited by pktaske

• pktaske changed the title to What's your most challenging iron gap and how do you breach it?

My challenge has always been between 90 and 105 yards. Never figured it out much.  was a swing fault , with wedges. Until this year. I compensated with using a 1/2 8 or 9 iron. Never was a club fault . But wonder what the specs were for each 8 iron?

Edited by NoTalentLefty
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I kind of have a large gap between my 7i and 8i, but it doesn't usually come into play all that often to cause me trouble. I have a bigger gap than I'd like between my 50* and my PW, which forces me to make questionable decisions at times lol. I don't do great on hitting 'soft' iron shots, so the gapping can create issues. If I have a 135-140yd shot, I tend to want to step on a 50* rather than take a smooth, easy PW shot. It doesn't work as much as I'd like it to, so one would think I would learn 🤣

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

23 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

My challenge has always been between 90 and 105 yards. Never figured it out much.  was a swing fault , with wedges. Until this year. I compensated with using a 1/2 8 or 9 iron. Never was a club fault .

Uhhh... sounds familiar! I went to three wedges a couple of seasons back. Picked up the MD3 48* to split difference between old 46 + 50. Good point: it simplified my 7:30/9/10:30 wedge matrix, and my planning and practice. Bad point: I have a gap between 98 and ~120.

Here's the fix: Variously I grip down on the 9i, or play the 48* back a half-inch to deloft it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

I'm considering going back to four wedges: 46-50-54-58... I'm more of a mechanic than a touch player on wedges, and the 6* gaps between 9i, 48* and 54* leave me too many 15-foot putts.

To stay at 14 clubs, I would omit either the 4i or the 4H depending upon the course I was playing that day. 

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

That 75-100 yard shot I have nothing for and really best way to breach it is never hit into that situation if possible. Then again easier said than done at times. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I'll hit a 46-47o Pw about 135 while only hitting a 56o Sw about 105 so for me, it's imperative to have a 50-52o Gw which will go about 120. 

On the top end, I'm hitting my 25o 5i about 190-195 carry and my 21o 7w about 220 carry, so I'll stick a 21-22o iron or hybrid in there depending on what shots I think I need. Iron is preferable off the tee, hybrid off the deck. 

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

10 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

But wonder what the specs were for each 8 iron?

Apex Pro 9:   41 degrees

Apex Pro: 8:  37 degrees

Apex 8:   34.5 degrees

Apex 7:    30.5 degrees

Staying on the themes of some of the other posts, I find myself grabbing my gap wedge, which I strike well, for shots 10 to 15 yards beyond its normal swing yardage. It simply imparts confidence.

Edited by pktaske

I guess I have two:

Gap wedge = 110 Pw = 130. Bent my gap 2* strong. Still a bit of a gap but a little better

I also have 20 yards between 4 iron and Hibred. Typically not a big issue as at that distance I am not super dialled in anyway.

• Like 1

This season I went driving iron at *18 to help on those accuracy tee shots, and then a 22* hybrid for the long approaches.  That leaves my next club a 5i T100 at 27*.  That leaves me a big gap at a tough yardage, bc hybrid is probably ~220 and 5 iron is ~195.  Those ~210yd par 3s are no fun.  

Fix?  Probably bending the 5 iron a couple degrees strong or getting a 100s, just haven’t gone to the trouble.  Not fully sold on the reverse driving iron / hybrid setup, but that iron is so valuable on certain holes.   Need to figure it out this offseason.  

100-110 yards is no man's land for me. Stock PW is 120 yards and a stock GW is 95 yards. If I really step on the GW I can squeeze it out to 100 yards but the probability of hitting a pull goes up substantially. I've gotten better at hitting a 3/4 110 yard shot with the PW but it's more likely to go 115 then 110. Just an awkward yardage for me.

Also have a large gap between Pw and 9 iron (140) but for whatever reason I have a much easier time hitting a hard PW for a little more or a soft 9 to get closer to 130. I should probably get the lofts adjusted as the J15 DPF's are fairly strong but It's more fun shopping for a new set of irons.

Edited by naj959

On 10/7/2020 at 9:08 AM, thaar said:

I have a bigger gap than I'd like between my 50* and my PW, which forces me to make questionable decisions at times lol. I don't do great on hitting 'soft' iron shots, so the gapping can create issues. If I have a 135-140yd shot, I tend to want to step on a 50* rather than take a smooth, easy PW shot. It doesn't work as much as I'd like it to, so one would think I would learn 🤣

This seems to be a common issue for all of us, at least in the groups i play with..  Say i have the 105-110 shot,  I can soft a 50 which usually leads to a bit of a pull shot for me or stand on 54. Questionable every time, works half the time 🤣 you think I would spend some time perfecting that soft 50 shot but for some reason i tend to go with the " Are you silly, I'm still gonna send it"  full shot...

PW to Gap is a problem sometimes for me as well, 130-135.  If I step on the 50 degree it spins a ton and if i'm not swinging well I sometimes take too much off the pw or pull it.  I think the problem is my gap has a s300 in it and my pw has a kbs130.  I'm planning on swapping the shaft out for the same that is in my irons and hoping that lowers the spin and gives me a few more yards.  

The other major gaps I have are 4 wood (265) to 2 iron (245) to 4 iron (220) but that isn't that big of a deal to me.  I'd like to have a hybrid that goes a little higher (than 2 iron) and I can hit accurately (especially from light rough) but haven't found one. 

Edited by B_of_H

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

PW (45*)130yards and GW (50*) 110yards was the issue. 

My fix was have the latest set built with same length PW and GW and magic. GW is now 115-120, SW (55*) is 95-100.  I feel much better with this set up and system. Either taking some off or hitting a full shot. 

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

Ditching the 3 iron, jacking the 4i a bit and carrying 4 wedges has been the equipment revelation of the decade for me. Two basic swings with each wedge (3/4 and full) has me feelin’ pretty confident with most yardages between 75 and 130; I feel like my wedge game is now a strength.

Kicking myself that I didn’t try it sooner.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 deg  / Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 3 wood (15 deg) / Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Blue 7x

PING G425 Hybrid 19.5 deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 8s (tipped 1/2)

Mizuno JPX 900 Tours 4-PW / KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff

Titleist SM5 50,54,60 / KBS 610 Stiff

Taylor Made Spider X Chalk  

IG: @martinmejia14 

My gap used to be 112-125. I was pw at 46 then 54. Always had to play pw from 115 in some sort of abbreviated swing. Pw carry is 135.

I did a gap test and found that 5i, 4i, 3i all carried within 20 yards of each other. I dropped the 3i, bent the 5i 1 strong, and found a 4i at 22*. That allowed me to add a 50* wedge. 

Now my gap is at 212-220. But i can manage that yardage a ton better than pw from 115-120. My wedge play immediately improved.

The only large yardage gap in the wedge-iron range I have is between my strong lofted 5 iron and my 2 iron.  The 5 is a 205-210 club.  The 2 is a 225-235 club.  It's really hard to take more than about 5 yards off a 2 iron, because the slower swing just lets it fly lower, land shallower and bounce almost as long.  Gaps from 5 to U wedge are about 15 yards.  I'd rather it be 12, but that would require carrying more clubs.  Then U-S-L wedges are probably 18 yards apart, but partial 75-80-85-90-95% swings are no problem for me.  My "odd" partial wedge distance is probably 55-65 yards.  I probably hit my L wedge long most of the time at that distance.  I think it's where I start to transition from a chipping wedge to a legitimate partial swing wedge. I'm comfortable hitting the L wedge nearly always.

Edited by LCP

On 10/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, MattM97 said:

That 75-100 yard shot I have nothing for and really best way to breach it is never hit into that situation if possible. Then again easier said than done at times. 

I feel this pain. Find myself inside that gap way too often and am not smart enough to stay out of it, 64 degree wedge seems unavoidable. Pray for me.

• Like 1

I'm really poor with the wedges especially 50 yards in. My course has small, elevated and hard greens and I'm throwing shots away so I'm going to get a 68 degree wedge - should be good for about 70 yards max. For other gaps I have tried a shorter swing but keep on getting the distance wrong, over the green sometimes or short.  I am trying to make some swing changes to be able to hit a fade by opening my open stance and swinging maybe just a little easier.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

For me, it was 3 thru 6 iron. Problem wasn't contact, it was distance gapping despite them being 4 degrees apart. They were just too close. So I bought a 4 and 5 iron that were a bit bigger than my blades, adjusted the lofts, and now it's perfect. Also allows me to carry 4 wedges now.

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

5 hours ago, chipa said:

I'm really poor with the wedges especially 50 yards in. My course has small, elevated and hard greens and I'm throwing shots away so I'm going to get a 68 degree wedge - should be good for about 70 yards max. For other gaps I have tried a shorter swing but keep on getting the distance wrong, over the green sometimes or short.  I am trying to make some swing changes to be able to hit a fade by opening my open stance and swinging maybe just a little easier.

Buying the wedge is a really bad idea.

Put some time in on the range or find a local par 3 course. I'm fortunate enough to have one which is full of 50-80 yard par 3's. Perfect for practicing these shots. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

6 hours ago, Adamjoyce15 said:

I feel this pain. Find myself inside that gap way too often and am not smart enough to stay out of it, 64 degree wedge seems unavoidable. Pray for me.

Full swing 64 degree wedge as an approach shot? 

Unless you are hitting it over trees from the next fairway this not sensible golf. 

Edited by bombs

I hate anything between my driver and 4 iron, so essentially any shot beyond 210m. About time I went and got fitted for that section of the bag. 

For now I should consider laying up on par 5's but I don't wear panties so.. 

2 hours ago, bombs said:

Buying the wedge is a really bad idea.

Put some time in on the range or find a local par 3 course. I'm fortunate enough to have one which is full of 50-80 yard par 3's. Perfect for practicing these shots. 

Unfortunately that's not an option. I only have one course where I live and can play only once a month plus I have no where else I can hit balls. I have been playing for many years and have never been able to master the wedges because I think is due to poor lower back flexibility due to surgery. Everything else is ok and if I can find a solution for the lob shots and wedge approaches I feel I can get down to a single digit h.c. so I think it's worth a try.

Besides, people pay hundreds of dollars for all types of technology to hit their drivers, irons etc straight or hit better putts because of swing flaws so I think $10 for a cheap lob wedge that I can buy once a year for my own personal flaw is a worthy investment.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.