Do C Taper 130X Have Tip Bending Issues

bschett

I was recently fit into C-Taper 130X and have been reading a lot about tip bending issues with those shafts. Some of the comments have said that specifically the 130X has not been an issue. Hoping to get some input from people who have been using the 130s. 

Also, I only have access to driving ranges with mats during the fall and winter and use them weekly. 

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by bschett

Mizuno ST190 Driver Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X
Taylormade M4 3W Tensei Blue CK 75 X
Titleist 818 H1 Tensei White 90HY X
4 - PW Mizuno JPX 900 Forged KBS Tour 130X
50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

Yes, have that issue with my C-Taper 130Xs. Spoke with a couple of shops about it and they said that it's an issue across almost all KBS shafts. Heard that KBS does replace them for you if you go through the right channels. Never tried it myself but I'm planning on finding a new shaft that works for me and move over because I really don't want to be dealing with the replacement issue.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Koala2426 said:

I had them and the tips bent especially if you hit off mats. I have heard the new px ls is similar in feel and play to the ctaper. I’m hoping to get my hands on the px ls to test for myself. 

What new PX shaft is that? 

Edited by bschett

50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

Not the same but I had three sets of 125 and the tips all bent. 
I don’t hit off mats too often with a bunch of range time and rounds on medium to hard grasses did a number on the tips. 
There’s nothing like the feel of a ctaper but...

I switched to Modus 125 and I’m quite happy with them. More importantly, no tips have bent in the 2 years I’ve had them. 

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

On 10/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, Koala2426 said:

I had them and the tips bent especially if you hit off mats. I have heard the new px ls is similar in feel and play to the ctaper. I’m hoping to get my hands on the px ls to test for myself. 

I had a set of C-Taper "S" and hit them off mats, and never had tip issues.  Designer Kim Braly founded KBS, originally designed PX before PX was acquisition by TT.  He also created C-taper which IS similar to PX.

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

On 10/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, mcounci2 said:

They'll bend, especially when hit off mats

On 10/10/2020 at 9:46 PM, KhooBot said:

Yes, have that issue with my C-Taper 130Xs. Spoke with a couple of shops about it and they said that it's an issue across almost all KBS shafts. Heard that KBS does replace them for you if you go through the right channels. Never tried it myself but I'm planning on finding a new shaft that works for me and move over because I really don't want to be dealing with the replacement issue.

6 hours ago, Coheed said:

Not the same but I had three sets of 125 and the tips all bent. 
I don’t hit off mats too often with a bunch of range time and rounds on medium to hard grasses did a number on the tips. 
There’s nothing like the feel of a ctaper but...

I switched to Modus 125 and I’m quite happy with them. More importantly, no tips have bent in the 2 years I’ve had them. 

i recently snapped the head off of my newest club (was brand new when purchased). c-taper 130x. really like these shafts but wondering if i should check the rest of my set for damage.

besides pulling the heads, is there any way to determine if the tips have bent?

thanks!

Edited by hoselpalooza
remove duplicate comment

25 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

i recently snapped the head off of my newest club (was brand new when purchased). c-taper 130x. really like these shafts but wondering if i should check the rest of my set for damage.

besides pulling the heads, is there any way to determine if the tips have bent?

thanks!

I guess it depends on how badly they are bent. 
The best way to see if the rest of the set are bent would be to pull the shafts. 

• Like 1

Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

For any of you that switched to a different shaft, what did you find that was most similar? 

Thanks 

50.08 F Vokey SM7 
54.10 S Vokey SM7

58.10 S Vokey SM7

Spider X 35"

interesting, I am on my third set and almost 10 years of C Taper X, as far as I am aware I have not had any bend tips.

I practice off mats all the time. 

Interesting, shame it is not easy to tell. I was prob going back to blades next year and was just going to go C Taper as normal but maybe not after reading this. 

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

1 hour ago, scott_Donald said:

interesting, I am on my third set and almost 10 years of C Taper X, as far as I am aware I have not had any bend tips.

Interesting, shame it is not easy to tell. I was prob going back to blades next year and was just going to go C Taper as normal but maybe not after reading this. 

I also think the type of swinger plays a big role. 
I’m digger and play on medium to firm conditions. 
If you’re a sweeper or play on soft conditions; you might be safe. 

Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

2 hours ago, scott_Donald said:

i plan to pull my heads for unrelated reasons anyway, so when i do i'll remember to keep an eye out for bent tips. 

that being said, i really like the way my c-tapers feel and perform. i have them on a primary and back-up set. sure, i'll try other shafts because why not, but so far they've been solid and i have no complaints. 

9 hours ago, Coheed said:

I also think the type of swinger plays a big role. 
I’m digger and play on medium to firm conditions. 
If you’re a sweeper or play on soft conditions; you might be safe. 

I am Scottish links and Texas soft conditions(some say they are hard but they are not) I have had a couple years of being stupid steep(bad swings been high on face) so been progressing out of that, interesting to see if they are bent or not but I am not pulling them.

8 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

i plan to pull my heads for unrelated reasons anyway, so when i do i'll remember to keep an eye out for bent tips. 

that being said, i really like the way my c-tapers feel and perform. i have them on a primary and back-up set. sure, i'll try other shafts because why not, but so far they've been solid and i have no complaints. 

interesting to see your results, I would love to see KBS's opinion on this.

My back up set is my Scratch irons which I got when C Taper just released, I played them for 5 years in Scotland. 

Me too so used to them now, I do love the s400 in my 55 and 60 though. I hate normal Project X but apart from that I can only remember C Taper feel. 

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Long Time C-Taper user here.  I was originally a denier. My original set was a set of C-Taper Prototypes, finish looked more brushed than the flat finish on the newer C-Taper shafts. I played that set for 5 years, never had a single tip bend issue.  I moved into X7's, didn't really like them, went back to X100's as I had success with them in the past.

Last winter working with my coach he puts me back in C-Tapers. I hit them great. But between 2 set's I've bent every shat just about once, and I've gone through 3 8 iron shafts.

I will say, KBS was great to work with in terms of getting replacement shafts at no cost, but it's a huge pain to have to tear apart your gamers during competition season to fix a shaft.

I'll be testing the PX LS over the winter, simply because I'm sick of bending tips.  

• Thanks 1

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX
Nike Vapor Fly 3HL Matrix 8M2
Titleist 910HD Fuji HB 90/Nike VFP 3 Fuji P95X
T-MB 4 C-Taper 130X

T-MB 5 PX LS 7.0
6-PW Cobra King Forged CB PX LS 7.0
Vokey TVD 52/58 KBS Tour 130X
PM Grind 64 KBS Tour 130X
Studio Design 1.5 Circle T/Arm Lock Double Wide

2 hours ago, swgolf12 said:

Long Time C-Taper user here.  I was originally a denier. My original set was a set of C-Taper Prototypes, finish looked more brushed than the flat finish on the newer C-Taper shafts. I played that set for 5 years, never had a single tip bend issue.  I moved into X7's, didn't really like them, went back to X100's as I had success with them in the past.

Last winter working with my coach he puts me back in C-Tapers. I hit them great. But between 2 set's I've bent every shat just about once, and I've gone through 3 8 iron shafts.

I will say, KBS was great to work with in terms of getting replacement shafts at no cost, but it's a huge pain to have to tear apart your gamers during competition season to fix a shaft.

I'll be testing the PX LS over the winter, simply because I'm sick of bending tips.  

these comments are really timely, thank you. just about to do a full re-grip on two sets. so glad i know to at least check to see if the tips are bent first. it would suck so much to find this out only after installing brand new grips on a couple dozen clubs! 😅

I’ve been playing C Taper X since their release and it seems like I’ve been lucky. I’ve been through three sets of them with no tip issues. I play in medium/soft conditions and my miss is steep. Typically hit off of grass ranges, and not a ton off of mats. So that may have something to do with it. 

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 6x

300 Mini 13.5* / Ventus Black 10x

TSi3 19* / Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100•s 4-9 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 46, 50 / Dynamic Gold X7

SM8 54, 58 / Dynamic Gold TI X100

Champion’s Choice / MC X-Firm
620 / MC X-Firm

On 10/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, swgolf12 said:

how did you see they were bent?

Edited by scott_Donald
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

Took a pic this ago of my clubs - was trying to see if any were bent, also have them in 2 of my Artisan wedges and my 2 iron.

Do these look normal?

IMG_4307.jpg

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I’ve heard this about almost all KBS shafts, and that is why I didn’t entertain hitting them when I was being fit for clubs even though the

C-Taper 130x was #1 on the Mizuno shaft optimizer.

I do have one question in regards to the bending issue...... since the KBS Tour V are not as old as some of the other KBS staples, did KBS reinforced the tip on those models to combat bending? 

I have not seen the Tour V mentioned along with the other KBS shaft  tip bending issues, makes me wonder if they did something to combat the tip bending problem, or am I wrong, and the Tour V have tip bending issues too?  I ask, because the 120’s  are in the weight range I like 🤞 

West Texas turf had bent mine 

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/13/2020 at 6:54 AM, scott_Donald said:

I am Scottish links and Texas soft conditions(some say they are hard but they are not) I have had a couple years of being stupid steep(bad swings been high on face) so been progressing out of that, interesting to see if they are bent or not but I am not pulling them.

interesting to see your results, I would love to see KBS's opinion on this.

My back up set is my Scratch irons which I got when C Taper just released, I played them for 5 years in Scotland. 

Me too so used to them now, I do love the s400 in my 55 and 60 though. I hate normal Project X but apart from that I can only remember C Taper feel. 

had someone test the c-tapers on one of my sets and the shaft tips were not bent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hoselpalooza said:

had someone test the c-tapers on one of my sets and the shaft tips were not bent.

I had three pulled yesterday - 2 iron, 46* and 50*, never thought to look. Looking at them, they seem fine.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

this is good to see! i still have another set that needs to be tested and i'm hopeful that they, too, are not bent at the tips. i love the feel of these shafts and i've been fitted into them so i'm crossing my fingers i got a couple of good batches. if not, it seems KBS have been doing right by their customers so at least there's that.🤞

• Like 1

I think some diggers that hit off mats or that have a more forward shaft kick angle may have issues, where sweepers don’t . 

I’ve been hesitant about getting them, but every time I go on a shaft optimizer, or a fitting, the first recommendation is C-Taper 130X followed by $-Taper........., good thing I’m not much of a digger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

13 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I think some diggers that hit off mats or that have a more forward shaft kick angle may have issues, where sweepers don’t . 

I’ve been hesitant about getting them, but every time I go on a shaft optimizer, or a fitting, the first recommendation is C-Taper 130X followed by $-Taper........., good thing I’m not much of a digger ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

might as well give them a try? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

perhaps you could find a 6i identical to your set on the 'bay and throw a c-taper on it? see how it feels without having to re-shaft all of your clubs? 

When I came back to golf from an 8 year hiatus due to injury a few years ago I didn’t like them, but I wasn’t quite there yet. I hit a C-Taper 130X a couple of days ago, and loved it. I was just at the PGASS to pick up a club I had re-shafted, and decided to hit in bay when someone asked if they could help me. After having the optimizer spit out C-Taper 130x $-taper, DGX100’s,  KBS Tour 130 X, then PX 6.5’s I figured I’d give the C-Taper a go! 

I loved it. I thought my launch was a bit higher than what I see in X100’s, and my spin was low’ish for a 7 iron at 6,050 rpm average. but after coming to my senses, i realize my spin was a bit low due to hitting their beat Precept range balls and the 7 iron Mizuno MMC was the exact loft of my previous 6 iron Mizuno MP-67. If I compare loft to loft, and factor in a premium ball. I think the C-Tapers spin numbers would elevated a bit, which is something I would like to see. 

I am looking to do a professional fitting  in December, and I am now very interested in the C-Taper. 👍

• Like 1