PING G710's, who's playing them?

Tiptx1122

I now have close to a dozen rounds and they still look good, some scratches but it's all normal wear. The black seems to be holding up very well. I'm always cleaning my clubs after any round as I was a little concerned about the wear, nothing to complain about here. Now I'm coming off the 1st edition of TM P790's which I thought was a great club with a nice feel to them. I had distance problems with some of my 8 thru PW, not as consistent in yardage at times. Oh well. Now I have the G710's custom fitted 4-PW with i80 Aerotech Steel Fiber shafts which I think this is a great iron shaft as this isn't my 1st set of SF shafts. I'm used to them. 

Forgiveness is what you will be impressed with,  if you can't hit these maybe you should take up a different sport as PING is definitely a leader when it comes to forgiveness. So easy to hit just make sure you are aligned properly as they are straight but word of caution, they are long and fly very high so in windy conditions they might not be for you. It took my about 3-4 round to feel comfortable with the black look at address but you get comfortable pretty quick as it frames the ball nicely. This is my 1st black set of irons so it may take longer for others to like the look.

The feel is not what I would boast about as it's not harsh or anything bad but coming from forged is a bigger adjustment than getting used to the looks. Not nearly as soft but it has a sound that lets you know if you hit the sweet spot or not.  PING has always had a feeling all to its own which was much better than many other non forged clubs out there. That is an area you will have to decide on if you make the switch so make sure you demo them. The more I play my G710's the more I love them as I don't go thru any honeymoon phases as I can mis-hit any club out there and I can hit those pure shots too and with my G710's it's easy to realized just what these clubs are designed to do once you play them. Thats' to be the most forgiving, Longest PING in the line up and they do hold the greens well as that was very impressive and a big plus for sure.

I'm a very happy person with my G710's as the only real negative thing I seem to hear from people is that many out there are still waiting for there orders to be shipped as that is truly disappointing as I got mine quicker than I thought as believe me I was pretty impatient as after I sold my P790's I didn't have a back up set, ordered 7/3 got them 8/11.  I'm sure PING is not the only company that has shipping delays as it is frustrating for sure. Lucky me the wait was worth it

Hope everyone who is playing G710's are getting the enjoyment that they have gave me. 

• Thanks 2

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Had my first round with mine today and I really liked them.  As you stated the feel and sound aren't the best but they are very forgiving irons.  Distances seemed right about what I would have expected from an iron like this.  Looking forward to some fall golf this year, hoping to get these dialed in.

I have had mine since March and really like them. I am coming from G400s but wanted a bit more distance and I am getting about a club more. The black has held up great but I  use iron covers and have on all my irons. I don't care about sound or feel as long as the ball goes high and straight and these check both boxes.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

Two rounds in now.

still some learning to do but so far I will say I’m happy as heck.  No fliers as I had heard. Held greens very well and I was on a southern course with Bermuda everywhere (usually in the mid atlantic but visiting folks down in ga).   Had I putted better I would have been at or under par one day, three over as it was on a course that ate my lunch in the past.   

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I do use iron covers as that is something I have done for many years with all my other sets as I believe you take care of them they take care of you Lol! I also clean my irons after every shot as I'm cleaning the groves as I'm sure many people do as that keeps them looking good. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

15 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Hope everyone who is playing G710's are getting the enjoyment that they have gave me. 

Tip,

Here's a thread that started in March and is still going. I asked for comments on 

G400/410 and G700/710 irons, and the WRX crew delivered solid insights.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

11 minutes ago, judgemartin said:

Ordered a set of G 710's on August 2, 2020 and am still waiting.

Ouch. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

PING is WAY backed up on orders.  COVID smacked them around on these something awful.  Also, they didn't anticipate the demand of these, which is boggling, because they went through the same thing with the G700s.

All that said, my son stole my G410s and my G710's arrived to the store in July but the fitter refused to build them because they were scratched up in shipping.  So we sent them back and they just showed up again this week.  Having hit these, these are very solid, long and forgiving.  I wanted forgiving because I'm not practicing nearly as much and wanted to simply have fun and not stress about being more precise.

• Like 3

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

20 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

PING is WAY backed up on orders.  COVID smacked them around on these something awful.  Also, they didn't anticipate the demand of these, which is boggling, because they went through the same thing with the G700s.

All that said, my son stole my G410s and my G710's arrived to the store in July but the fitter refused to build them because they were scratched up in shipping.  So we sent them back and they just showed up again this week.  Having hit these, these are very solid, long and forgiving.  I wanted forgiving because I'm not practicing nearly as much and wanted to simply have fun and not stress about being more precise.

Easy

That was my solution......I want easy 

ff4ed5c26572300fc64f189b2b92a54c.jpg

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

10 hours ago, RodrigoNicely said:

I have the 4 iron I use as driving iron. Really enjoy it super easy to hit and can flight low and high

Ping should produce the G700/710 in  3, 2, and 1 iron lofts. This is better than the Ping Crossover.

• Like 4

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I went through an irons/wedges fitting in September and went with G710s (7-UW) and a 56* Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind, all with Recoil F3 shafts. I didn't like the Titleist T300 or T400s at all (I've played Titleist DCIs back in the day and currently play AP1s). Interestingly (to me anyway), I did not hit the Cobra t-Rails very well but the Cobra Forged TEC came in a close second to the G710s. 

Like several others have mentioned, this game is hard enough and I'm looking for clubs which make it easier, so I really appreciate the comments from those of you currently using the G710. Initially, I wasn't sure that I would like the black heads either, but the look grew on my during the fitting and subsequent testing of the club. 

After reading some of the delivery nightmares in this thread, I spoke to my club fitter yesterday who reported not hearing anything from Ping which would alter his 6-8 week estimate. Living in NE, however, even if the clubs are delivered early, there will not be much time left in the season, LOL.

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

2 hours ago, platgof said:

So how long was your wait??

No wait, they were on the rack in the Golf Outlet in Destin Fl. I went in to look around saw them, just what I wanted regular flex, graphite shafts, 5 thru SW. Made the deal and was on my way. Wait time about 12 minutes for checkout,lol.

Edited by Davidv

For me they had 6-pw in stock, I had to wait 5 weeks for the 5 iron and u wedge. It was worth the wait I am playing as good as I was 30 years ago with these irons.

• Like 2

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

I have the G700 and they are something else. The sound is off, but the performance is other worldly. I can even hit the 5 iron which is very unusual. I took the 5 iron out three years ago, and it is back with these. I'm working on the sound issue and see what happens. These make golf fun again.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks as thats a big delay but if they were custom ordered there are some major delays with some shaft manufactures. PING is the only one with some big delays as it's like that when ordering other things as well like furniture, appliances as it's horrible. Don't blame PING as this COVID-19 has to be part of the blame if not most of it.

There is another topic on just PING delay as I hope to hear some positive reviews once you do receive them as I know many people will give a bad review based on the customer service and the delay time which has nothing to do with how they perform.

I've listed a few Pro's about my G710's as I do have some Con's too. One is these have a very high trajectory which I'm not used to. These are also distance irons so there is a gap in distance between my PW and my Vokey SM8 50*. The feel is either a hate or it's ok. I came from forged and it's something I miss. The other thing is how will these look after a season or 2, are they going to look beat up with the black worn off as I do use iron covers and clean the after every round so who knows yet. 

I received my custom set back in late March.  4i-U, Alta CB Red stiff, Arccos Smart Grips. 

I am a huge fan. I’ve logged about 25 rounds. Distance and forgiveness are fantastic. Finish is holding up really well. 

My next purchase will be wedges - probably a 54 and 58 as the G710 U-wedge comes in  at 49. I’m very interested in the Glide 3.0, but am concerned about custom build delays.