PING G710's, who's playing them?

Tiptx1122

On 10/26/2020 at 4:20 PM, Chewbach said:

I received my custom set back in late March.  4i-U, Alta CB Red stiff, Arccos Smart Grips. 

I am a huge fan. I’ve logged about 25 rounds. Distance and forgiveness are fantastic. Finish is holding up really well. 

My next purchase will be wedges - probably a 54 and 58 as the G710 U-wedge comes in  at 49. I’m very interested in the Glide 3.0, but am concerned about custom build delays. 

G400 or G410 wedges match up well with G700/710.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Everything like forgiveness, easy to hit, awesome looking, distance very long is there. I'm just trying to adjust to the feel, sound and offset as these fly very high and I'm just not sure how these will look a year from now.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

Back home and have played them more now.  These are a big change from last year at this time.  Mizuno MP5 were in the bag.  I’m still adapting.  I have:

grown to appreciate the feel with a good strike. A lively sweet feel at the other end of the ping spectrum than my ie1 which had a nothing here feel on a good strike.

not experienced the fliers I see others report with sgi things. 

found I can work the ball and flight it pretty well.  

Dropped my handicap

come to an understanding with the arccos grips but they will probably be gone soon.  Like the arccos information and stuff but not the grips.  Best thing for me in a way was reviewing my round to edit the few errors.  

all in all There are so many positives with these for me.  Wish I had done it sooner.

what will they look like in a year, probably a lot like my glide stealth which is about a year old.  I like the look.   

• Like 3

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

8 hours ago, HOPSECUTIONERx said:

I think I may be the only person on here that hated these but I oicked up a set early this year played them for probably 10 rounds and I just HATED the feel so much that I couldnt get over it.  Now I'm playing Mizuno 919 hot metal pros and couldnt be happier.

I think the feel is something PING improved on but not by any strong measures as the feel and sound are just ok for me. I was expecting more as I don't hate them I could never hate PING as they have gave me many years of pleasure by helping me become a better golfer. Wish I was good enough to play the Blueprints as those are close to be perfect for the much better golfer out there.

Glad you like the 919 HMP as why didn't you go for the 921's instead.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

• 2 weeks later...

I got my set a week ago.  It took nearly two months!  The kicker is that they weren't customized in any way.  At least I have them now.

I love the looks, great high launch, and solid distance.  However, I've noticed that I tend to slice these occasionally, which I didn't have an issue before with my former M2 6, 7 and 8 irons.  I don't understand it.  I must be doing something different with these to cause the slice - I hope I figure it out soon cause I can't have an 8 iron slice.  That's so frustrating.

I never sliced them but I seemed like with the 4 and 5 iron I couldn't draw the ball always had a bad fade. I like less offset as the distance was solid/long too and very high launch which hitting knock downs was hard to pull off. Nice club if you want a good looking if the offset doesn't bother you, forgiving distance iron as the sound was ok and feel was just ok too. 

Got about 15 rounds in with these and I really like them.  Easy to hit with distance that one would expect from this type of iron.  The feel isn't great, but not the worst I've hit either.  I think the black really helps slim down the look.  The offset is tolerable for me.  Normally I play a slight draw and these are the same flight for me.  No issues with hooks or fades/slices.  

That being said I do have a set of P770s coming in to try over winter.  Just because...

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I received the G710's a couple of weeks ago.  I now have about 7 rounds under my belt.  As much as I wanted to like these, they just aren't working for me.  I think I figured out why, and it's mostly in my head probably.

My course has struggled with their irrigation system and many of the fairways are quite thin.  My ball can be in the middle of the fairway, but sometimes I'm hitting off sandy dirt with a few blades of grass on top.  I'm struggling to hit these consistently.  I think I found the reason.  With my old, maybe 15 year old big bertha irons that I just pulled out of the garage with cobwebs and all, I'm hitting them more reliably.  Why?  Not sure exactly but when I address the ball, I just feel more confident.  They are bulky and resemble sort of a shovel. 

In contrast, the G710's are beautiful looking irons.  The black color makes the club look thinner when addressing the ball, which for me, probably works against my confidence.  I almost feel like I have to hit these with more finesse - like clipping the ball just right when on those sandy/dirt lies.  With my big bertha irons (and the Mavrix Max was the same when I tested it on my course), I just hit with more authority not really trying to be delicate.  This approach seems to work better on my course or I end up hitting too many shots fat which get caught in the sand.  

The other thing that I don't like about the G710's is that they feel so long (or wide I guess).  Again, the black color I think makes the club seem thinner, but the width is still there.  Logically, that should help as I have more room to strike the ball but I think it's working against me.  

Additionally, the feel/sound of these clubs is not great as many have mentioned before.  I never thought that would make a big impact in my selection, but it really has.  When I hit a ball flush, it just doesn't feel as solid as I'd like.

Last night I pulled my G710s out of my bag, put my big bertha irons back in, and listed the G710's on eBay.  It's almost heart breaking to do as I waited over two months for them and invested a lot of cash in them.  At any rate, once they sell, I'm going to give the G410's a try.  I think their slightly smaller sized head will help instill more confidence and control on my shots, at least that's what I'm hoping.   

Edited by theorangeman

Talk about heart breaking I know how you feel. I have always been a PING fan and I wanted this set to be my retirement set but things just didn't work out for me either. Easy to launch oh yea with that much offset they should be. Too much offset for me. Feel was just ok I never hit the G700 as everyone keeps saying how much nicer the feel and sound is with these over the G700. Glad I passed on the G700.

I guess what really caught my eye was the looks and all the talk about being the most forgiving PING to date. I did hit a few amazing shots but my consistency with my alignment was not there and they just didn't have the turf interaction I was looking for. Nice clubs for many I'm sure.  I just like less offset and not the bulky look. I hope more people can find the positive out of these irons than negative as I will miss them but glad to have moved on to something else that fits my game much better.  

Anyone playing the 710s in an X stiff shaft? I’ve been playing the i210s last two seasons and haven’t been able to play as much as prior due to kiddos and Covid life now. But with that being said, I have been accustomed to the kbs tour 130x shafts being my go to until I picked up a set of 710s with the X95 regular shafts and just absolutely loving the clubs. Obviously my flight trajectory is a bit higher but I’m really convinced on switching over to the 710s and replacing the shafts with my normal heavier shafts. I am just a bit worried with the 710s being more of a game improvement iron i would run into some issues. So, i say all that to see if anyone is running some heavy x flex shafts in these and what there experience has been thus far. 

On 10/9/2020 at 9:47 PM, Fairway14 said:

Ping should produce the G700/710 in  3, 2, and 1 iron lofts. This is better than the Ping Crossover.

The four iron is 20 degrees of loft, which would have been 2 iron back in the day. Hogan’s 1 iron was 17 degrees. A 1 iron G700 would be 12 degrees? 

8 hours ago, ZeeDunny said:

Anyone playing the 710s in an X stiff shaft? I’ve been playing the i210s last two seasons and haven’t been able to play as much as prior due to kiddos and Covid life now. But with that being said, I have been accustomed to the kbs tour 130x shafts being my go to until I picked up a set of 710s with the X95 regular shafts and just absolutely loving the clubs. Obviously my flight trajectory is a bit higher but I’m really convinced on switching over to the 710s and replacing the shafts with my normal heavier shafts. I am just a bit worried with the 710s being more of a game improvement iron i would run into some issues. So, i say all that to see if anyone is running some heavy x flex shafts in these and what there experience has been thus far. 

If the 710 set you have was assembled by Ping the heads will be too light for shafts heavier than 95 grams (X95 shaft weight).

If 95 gram shafts are too light for you I suggest selling your set or trading it in to a Ping retailer for a new set with shafts you do want. For assembling

your new set Ping will select heavier heads and, or, use heavier weight screws so that the finished set is well balanced.

No matter which shafts you choose the hollow head-shallow face height 700/710 model head is designed for high trajectory shots producing extra long distance, so don't expect to be able to strike lower ball flight shots the way you could with a set of i210.

• Like 1

Quick wonder.  I had always thought the lighter the shaft the heavier the head.   That to put a head from a graphite shafted iron on to a steel shaft you would end up with a high swing weight   

I have dynamic gold 105 r shafts in mine and I think the flight very similar to my old ie1 with dg gold s300.    So if loving the x95 but want a bit low or flight try the dg105.

and last I don’t think of the g710 as a shallow faced iron.   

Edited by 2Down
Grammer

Eye2   3-SW

9 minutes ago, 2Down said:

Quick wonder.  I had always thought the lighter the shaft the heavier the head.   That to put a head from a graphite shafted iron on to a steel shaft you would end up with a high swing weight   

I have dynamic gold 105 r shafts in mine and I think the flight very similar to my old ie1 with dg gold s300.    So if loving the x95 but want a bit low or flight try the dg105.

and last I don’t think of the g710 as a shallow faced iron.   

For the club to be well balanced its length, head weight, grip weight, and shaft weight are all a factor. In the old days Ping used to hold head inventory by weight and select the lighter heads when assembling sets with  long/lighter (graphite)shafts, heavier heads for shorter shafts.

Regarding the G700/710, its elongated heel-to-toe length makes for a relatively shallow face height (and high trajectory shots), compared to the more boxy shape of the G400/410, i200/210

We will differ on the face being shallow.   

here is a good starting point for shaft changes. 

Eye2   3-SW

1 hour ago, Fairway14 said:

If the 710 set you have was assembled by Ping the heads will be too light for shafts heavier than 95 grams (X95 shaft weight).

If 95 gram shafts are too light for you I suggest selling your set or trading it in to a Ping retailer for a new set with shafts you do want. For assembling

your new set Ping will select heavier heads and, or, use heavier weight screws so that the finished set is well balanced.

No matter which shafts you choose the hollow head-shallow face height 700/710 model head is designed for high trajectory shots producing extra long distance, so don't expect to be able to strike lower ball flight shots the way you could with a set of i210.

Makes sense. What’s crazy is I have a very high swing speed but the ability to slow it down and play these 710s is a effortlessly easy. The only “feel” difference is the overall weight of what is in my hand and mind Vs my i210s suited with the Kbs 130x. I appreciate the feedback and may possibly look into doing just as you say which is picking up another set with something a bit more familiar to my normal gamers. I’m just still kinda shocked how easy it was to aim and shoot with the 710s haha. As mentioned playing only once a month has hurt my game a bit but I’ve even contemplated just continuing on with the x95s and riding it out until I see a major flaw somewhere. All my woods woods are Tensei Pro White TX models and wedges are s400s soo it’s kinda mind boggling being so confident with the 710s and knowing they are paired with x95 regs 🤷🏽‍♂️

3 minutes ago, ZeeDunny said:

. As mentioned playing only once a month has hurt my game a bit but I’ve even contemplated just continuing on with the x95s and riding it out until I see a major flaw somewhere. All my woods woods are Tensei Pro White TX models and wedges are s400s soo it’s kinda mind boggling being so confident with the 710s and knowing they are paired with x95 regs 🤷🏽‍♂️

Regular flex shafts  have a way of naturally improving one's golf swing.

The negative of too stiff a shaft is that players come to realize the only way they can produce accurate shots with decent trajectory is by going 100% hard at the ball, and this may cause problems. Conversely, when a good player is given a relatively soft shaft he soon understands the only way he can produce good shots with it is by making smooth tempo, good rhythm swings, and this is very helpful to consistent good shot making.

1 minute ago, Fairway14 said:

The negative of too stiff a shaft is that players come to realize the only way they can produce accurate shots with decent trajectory is by going 100% hard at the ball, and this may cause problems. Conversely, when a good player is given a relatively soft shaft he soon understands the only way he can produce good shots with it is by making smooth tempo, good rhythm swings, and this is very helpful to consistent good shot making.

I don’t think you could have said it any better! I do appreciate your time and the knowledge. I think my questions are answered and I will continue on the winter months with the 710s until I’m able to get back to playing a bit. My next fitting should be quite interesting 😂

Has anyone tried mixing the G710 with the G410 irons? I have G700 irons and the sole of the shorter irons is a turn off, but the long irons are just fine. I am playing 5-7 iron on the G700, and 8-aw with the Cobra F9. I like the sole of the Cobra irons better. The G700 5-7 irons are hard to beat by anyone. They play well, and the Cobra F9 8-aw irons are very accurate. I have never been as pleased as this combo, but really want to try the G710 and G425 combo. It is a shame that people traded their G710 irons away and could have kept them if they had tried the G410 irons 8-aw. I plan on seeing my pro next year to consider ordering this combo. I am also considering I210 for the pw and aw.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

On 11/21/2020 at 9:22 AM, Fairway14 said:

This is pure gospel.  A++

I play S and even X in my drivers, play R in my irons (UST F3).  The smoother the tempo with this shaft the better the result.  I can pop shoelaces ripping my driver and that thing is not going left.  Have to smooth the irons.  Less is more.  Also surprised to see some questioning the feel of the 710.  Absolute butter here.  

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered mine on September 29, along with a Glide 3.0 Eye-2 grind. Got the wedge in early December. I heard from my club fitter last week that the G710s were in production last week and should be shipped this week. If this happens, it will be 3.5 months for me.

Apparently, Ping had a problem getting G710 PW heads. 

• Thanks 1

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

I’ve had my set for a couple of months now and yesterday I finally decided to get the old Adam’s hybrid out of the bag and ordered a four iron from ping to match my set.  

I’ve waited patiently for two days now.  Hope it comes soon, I’m not sure how much longer I can wait.  

• Haha 1

Eye2   3-SW