Courses near San Jose

JasonPetermann

Going to spend a few days in San Jose and would love some recommendations of public courses to play near by.  Ready. GO!

TITLEIST TSR 2 w/PX Evenflow Riptide

Titleist TSR2 16.5 w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR2 21w/Tensei Blue

Titleist TSR1 5h, 6h 7h w/Kuro Kage Black

Titleist 24 T-100 7-AW, Recoil 95

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Scotty Phantom X5, Scotty Squareback

Titleist ProV1, Callaway Chrome Tour

Vessel Player IV Pro

Coyote Creek south of town has two courses, both Nicklaus designs. 

Cinnabar Hills has 27 holes. Some quirky holes, but solid golf.

San Juan Oaks is 45 min south in Hollister - a fun Fred Couples design.

If you have the time and money,  Pasatiempo is an hour away in Santa Cruz ... a top rated Alastair MacKenzie design.

Baylands in Palo Alto is a fun, links-like design.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

If you have the time and money,  Pasatiempo is an hour away in Santa Cruz ... a top rated Alastair MacKenzie design.

Thanks! Any advice on what to expect weather wise in mid November?

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Vessel Player IV Pro

3 minutes ago, goaliedad30 said:

Mornings will be cool, in the high 40s. Should be high 60s/low 70s during the day. There is a chance of rain then, but you never know on that front.

Thanks!

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Vessel Player IV Pro

5 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

This is about the end all be all of the list. 

A few extra things: at Coyote the Valley course was redesigned by Nicklaus but existed previously as a basic public layout. It still feels that way on some holes but the green complexes are very much Nicklaus. The Tournament course is a ground-up Nicklaus design and the better of the two. Both typically in great shape.

Eagle Ridge in Gilroy used to be worth playing, not as good as San Juan Oaks but 30 minutes closer to San Jose.

Shameless plug for Callippe Preserve, (my home course) very good, very fun. Hardest finishing 3 holes I know. If you can hit the traffic right to get up there, do it. (same for Wente Vineyards but I prefer Callippe)

Skip Shoreline. Some people rave about it but I've never liked it. Too 'meh' for what they charge to play there.

Sunnyvale gets a lot of heat for being too small, too short, too boring, etc. On the whole I'd agree with that, but if you are desperate for a round and want to play a well-maintained course (knowing you'll be hitting a lot of irons off tees) I do have a fondness for the place. Also if you catch it during a not busy time you're gonna get around in under 3:30. 

If you're up for a bit of a drive you're on the doorstep of Pasatiempo, Harding Park, Bayonet/Black Horse, etc. 

Let me know if you have anything else you wanna know. I don't know how restaurants are working because of Covid but if you've never eaten at an Old Spaghetti Factory, do so, and if you do play Callippe, the Nations Hamburgers in Fremont is regional burger joint chain worth checking out. 

Thanks all! Another question: is it difficult to get morning tee times there right now?  

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Vessel Player IV Pro

54 minutes ago, JasonPetermann said:

Thanks all! Another question: is it difficult to get morning tee times there right now?  

Morning tee times are hard to get in the bay area right now although you may luck out and get on as a single somewhere. When my wife and I stayed at Spanish Bay recently someone that I know in the pro shop told me that Spanish Bay is busier now then pre-COVID and it was really busy from what I could see from my balcony overlooking the 1st fairway.

Depending on when you'll be in the area in November,  Pasatiempo has some morning tee times.

https://pasatiempo-golf-club.play.teeitup.golf/

1 hour ago, JasonPetermann said:

Plan ahead for sure - tee times in the morning have been really hard to get.  As a local SJ golfer all the advice here is pretty spot on - for me Pasatiempo is pretty special as I'm a big Alister MacKenzie fan and the course never disappoints.

Tons of help everyone. Thanks so much! 

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Vessel Player IV Pro

45-1 HR south of San Jose and you get to the Monterey area...Bayonet Blackhorse, Pacific Grove, Poppy Hills, Spanish Bay, Spyglass. If you play Coyote Creek go for the Tournament Course. The Valley Course is meh. Stay away from Eagle Ridge in Gilroy. Prices at Baylands can fluctuate based on demand. I wouldn't pay more than $70 for prime time to walk the course there, but that's just me. If I play there it's usually twilight and I'll walk for $30-$35, but I've recently seen it double in price due to demand.

• Like 1

Another question: As I am looking at the courses, many of them say I am not guaranteed a cart. I can order a bag to use for this trip and carry (I REALLY don't want to, as I hope to play 36 holes some days - walking with a cart, yes. But I am not used to carrying).

Maybe this was a bigger problem early on.

How big of a problem REALLY is it to get a cart right now? 

You all have been very helpful. 

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Vessel Player IV Pro

2 hours ago, JasonPetermann said:

Another question: As I am looking at the courses, many of them say I am not guaranteed a cart. I can order a bag to use for this trip and carry (I REALLY don't want to, as I hope to play 36 holes some days - walking with a cart, yes. But I am not used to carrying).

Carts are kind of first come first serve. So if you get an early tee time, you shouldn’t have a problem. Eagle Ridge (my home course) is undergoing major bunker renovations right now. So some temp greens and closed holes. And the 115 degree temps last month took it’s toll on the fairways. When I checked last week San Juan Oaks (my old home course) is closed Monday and Tuesday. But that might change. As far as weather, I would bring clothes for every occasion. Cooler weather is the norm for November, shorts weather in not that unusual in the Bay Area.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 6:39 PM, tad950 said:

Carts are kind of first come first serve. So if you get an early tee time, you shouldn’t have a problem. Eagle Ridge (my home course) is undergoing major bunker renovations right now. So some temp greens and closed holes. And the 115 degree temps last month took it’s toll on the fairways. When I checked last week San Juan Oaks (my old home course) is closed Monday and Tuesday. But that might change. As far as weather, I would bring clothes for every occasion. Cooler weather is the norm for November, shorts weather in not that unusual in the Bay Area.

tad950, after the bunker renovations will Eagle Ridge be in good shape? I used to like playing there but then it seemed to go down hill and I haven't played the course in several years.

On 10/9/2020 at 3:29 PM, JasonPetermann said:

I haven't had any trouble getting a cart, many courses say its not guaranteed since its one cart per person, so theyre sometimes stretched pretty thin. I usually check in about 30 minutes early to make sure theres a cart available or start waiting for the next one to be returned.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:20 PM, aloha b. said:

tad950, after the bunker renovations will Eagle Ridge be in good shape? I used to like playing there but then it seemed to go down hill and I haven't played the course in several years.

Hard to say. Like I said, some burned out and bare spots in the fairways, which haven’t been addressed for quite a while. The greens are in good shape. Rolled once a week. 

Surprised Baylands hasn't made the list for anyone here. Unless I missed it. Baylands in Palo Alto is about 30 minute North of SJ but worth it and they've had plenty of carts. If you miss out and don't get an electric cart, you can get a rental push cart. The course is EASY to walk and a lot of fun since the remodel. Maybe I'm biased as it is my home course. It can be tough to get a morning tee-time though. Plan ahead.

If you're stuck in SJ/South Bay then everything everyone said above is accurate. One thing to note with Coyote Creek Valley - it is a fun and good track, but mostly walkers on this course. If you choose to ride, then play Coyote Creek Tournament. 

Edited by Gnucastle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gnucastle said:

Surprised Baylands hasn't made the list for anyone here. Unless I missed it. Baylands in Palo Alto is about 30 minute North of SJ but worth it and they've had plenty of carts. If you miss out and don't get an electric cart, you can get a rental push cart. The course is EASY to walk and a lot of fun since the remodel. Maybe I'm biased as it is my home course. It can be tough to get a morning tee-time though. Plan ahead.

If you're stuck in SJ/South Bay then everything everyone said above is accurate. One thing to note with Coyote Creek Valley - it is a fun and good track, but mostly walkers on this course. If you choose to ride, then play Coyote Creek Tournament. 

Second post got Baylands mentioned, although not as highly endorsed as maybe deserved. Having played there both pre and post remodel I have to say it's one of the biggest turnarounds ever for a course. (And the Corica went and did the same thing)

Curious, anyone play Poppy Ridge? How is it? Is it worth considering?

Titleist SM9 - 54, 60

Vessel Player IV Pro

7 minutes ago, JasonPetermann said:

Curious, anyone play Poppy Ridge? How is it? Is it worth considering?

I have played Poppy Ridge several times and enjoyed it a great deal, very nice setup.  On the Santa Cruz Monterey side there other possibly lower priced courses besides Pasatiempo and the others mentioned above:

De Laveaga

Seascape

Pajaro Valley

Spring Hills

Laguna Seca

Old Del Monte

Pacific Grove

Monterey Pines

Poppy Hills

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 10:23 PM, James the Hogan Fan said:

This is about the end all be all of the list. 

A few extra things: at Coyote the Valley course was redesigned by Nicklaus but existed previously as a basic public layout. It still feels that way on some holes but the green complexes are very much Nicklaus. The Tournament course is a ground-up Nicklaus design and the better of the two. Both typically in great shape.

Eagle Ridge in Gilroy used to be worth playing, not as good as San Juan Oaks but 30 minutes closer to San Jose.

Shameless plug for Callippe Preserve, (my home course) very good, very fun. Hardest finishing 3 holes I know. If you can hit the traffic right to get up there, do it. (same for Wente Vineyards but I prefer Callippe)

Skip Shoreline. Some people rave about it but I've never liked it. Too 'meh' for what they charge to play there.

Sunnyvale gets a lot of heat for being too small, too short, too boring, etc. On the whole I'd agree with that, but if you are desperate for a round and want to play a well-maintained course (knowing you'll be hitting a lot of irons off tees) I do have a fondness for the place. Also if you catch it during a not busy time you're gonna get around in under 3:30. 

If you're up for a bit of a drive you're on the doorstep of Pasatiempo, Harding Park, Bayonet/Black Horse, etc. 

Let me know if you have anything else you wanna know. I don't know how restaurants are working because of Covid but if you've never eaten at an Old Spaghetti Factory, do so, and if you do play Callippe, the Nations Hamburgers in Fremont is regional burger joint chain worth checking out. 

Please please do not waste your time at spaghetti factory, no offense to the poster...San Jose food tastes are well....

On 11/3/2020 at 4:32 PM, toddmanley said:

Old Spagetti Factory is the Italian food equivalent of the old El Torrito Mexican chain - neither are great. If you wanted a solid Italian recommendation I would have sent you to Palermo. 

I mean slam the Spaghetti Factory if you wish, but it is cheap, it is tasty, it is in an interesting building in a lively part of town, and I have never eaten there with anyone and had them not like it. 

What would I know though, I thought El Torritos was ok too.

Edited by James the Hogan Fan
  • Like 3

On 11/7/2020 at 9:50 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

I mean slam the Spaghetti Factory if you wish, but it is cheap, it is tasty, it is in an interesting building in a lo

lively part of town, and I have never eaten there with anyone and had them not like it. 

What would I know though, I thought El Torritos was ok too.

It's normal for everyone to have different tastes when it comes to restaurants and there's nothing wrong with that. Just like golf courses as an example,  I like Spanish Bay and many people don't which is fine as we all have different opinions which is good.

When it comes to restaurants and food, my wife and I enjoy fine dining and have been to several 3 star Michelin restaurants where the food is incredible but I also like  fast food restaurants including Jack in the Box tacos.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 6:10 PM, aloha b. said:

It's normal for everyone to have different tastes when it comes to restaurants and there's nothing wrong with that. Just like golf courses as an example,  I like Spanish Bay and many people don't which is fine as we all have different opinions which is good.

When it comes to restaurants and food, my wife and I enjoy fine dining and have been to several 3 star Michelin restaurants where the food is incredible but I also like  fast food restaurants including Jack in the Box tacos.

Agree, but saying next you come to city X, make sure you check out the jack in the box...is a bit different.

Edited by Georgewang