2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Why Hogan never revealed his "true" secret. The reason might surprise you.

This post is for all of you Hogan fans that think Hogan did revealed "all" his secrets in Life magazine.

I totally understand your point and your disagreement with my view that he actually did not. Hence why I said "true" secret not secret. Because Hogan's secret or should I say "secrets" works in layers. How so you might ask? Meaning that from the swing mechanic point of view, "ALL" he told us he did and was his "secret" is absolutely true. Hence in all of my posts I never once said he lied, ever! But he just chose to omit the part where all his mechanical aspects derived from which in my humble opinion is the "true" secret. 

We can do all the things he said he does in his swing and still wouldn't even come close to the consistency or aesthetics he has. Ever wonder why that is? And please don't say because most golfers aren't born with talent. Look at the PGA and LPGA which are packed with the most gifted talents in the world. I can bet you everything I own that they themselves or their coaches one way or another was influenced directly or indirectly by Hogan's teaching. Most would aspire to become as "consistent" as he was.

Now ask yourself this, how come we've never and I mean "NEVER" seen even one individual with the true Hogan "aesthetics" in his/her swing. And you can bring me any swing footage or image of any golfers from any era you choose and you won't find a single one of them that even comes close to his swing dna. And no, not because Hogan is Hogan and nobody can swing like anybody else argument please. I mean from a mechanical stand point. None! Not Venturi, not Knudson, not Trevino, not Duffner and not even Tiger 2007 which people like to say comes closest.

Now why did he chose to take it to his grave. And rightly so I might add.

Because if this "mechanic" was revealed and became common knowledge Hogan knew golf would loose all it's mystique. Admit it, if the golf swing wasn't this so damn hard we would learn it and then forget about it. It's the level of difficulty and mystique that makes golf what it is. Hogan knew that and chose to keep it that way. Not because he was selfish but because he was "SELFLESS". 

P.S.

And I heard from somewhere that after his famous Life magazine article was published, Golf Digest wanted to do a follow up article in which Hogan would finally revealed his "real secret". But he demanded a six-figure price and the magazine declined.

- I do not know if this is fact or fiction and anybody that could confirm or deny this with evidence would be much appreciated.

- And in my humble opinion before Alzheimer got the best of him Hogan must've sigh in relief that the magazine declined.

So yeah, I still firmly believe the real secret of our dear Mr. Ben Hogan is still out there somewhere in the ether. 

Edited by SwagGolf6112
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, SwagGolf6112 said:

This post is for all of you Hogan fans that think Hogan did revealed "all" his secrets in Life magazine.

I totally understand your point and your disagreement with my view that he actually did not. Hence why I said "true" secret not secret. Because Hogan's secret or should I say "secrets" works in layers. How so you might ask? Meaning that from the swing mechanic point of view, "ALL" he told us he did and was his "secret" is absolutely true. Hence in all of my posts I never once said he lied, ever! But he just chose to omit the part where all his mechanical aspects derived from which in my humble opinion is the "true" secret. 

We can do all the things he said he does in his swing and still wouldn't even come close to the consistency or aesthetics he has. Ever wonder why that is? And please don't say because most golfers aren't born with talent. Look at the PGA and LPGA which are packed with the most gifted talents in the world. I can bet you everything I own that they themselves or their coaches one way or another was influenced directly or indirectly by Hogan's teaching. Most would aspire to become as "consistent" as he was.

Now ask yourself this, how come we've never and I mean "NEVER" seen even one individual with the true Hogan "aesthetics" in his/her swing. And you can bring me any swing footage or image of any golfers from any era you choose and you won't find a single one of them that even comes close to his swing dna. And no, not because Hogan is Hogan and nobody can swing like anybody else argument please. I mean from a mechanical stand point. None! Not Venturi, not Knudson, not Trevino, not Duffner and not even Tiger 2007 which people like to say comes closest.

Now why did he chose to take it to his grave. And rightly so I might add.

Because if this "mechanic" was revealed and became common knowledge Hogan knew golf would loose all it's mystique. Admit it, if the golf swing wasn't this so damn hard we would learn it and then forget about it. It's the level of difficulty and mystique that makes golf what it is. Hogan knew that and chose to keep it that way. Not because he was selfish but because he was "SELFLESS". 

I came to the same conclusion earlier this week.  Playing the Kazoo was fun in first grade, but afterwards, when no mystery was involved, it went away.

• Haha 2

I agree there hasn’t been anyone matching his aesthetic. From early Hogan to successful Hogan the motion changes from using up the levers in the right side early and everything folding shortly after impact like a Patrick Reed to the distinctive Hogan follow through where the “finish swivel” is high and late up the plane. That is the heart of the Hogan swing in my opinion and the people that say it’s after the ball it doesn’t matter don’t get it, you cannot have that follow through without the pre impact attributes that allow it. 

Some of what Gary Player has said he was told explains some of it (the body releasing is the only way to be consistent) and then there is the talk of firing the right knee which saves the upper right side til later. He is the opposite of the languid hands dropping shaft flattening transition because he was low at the top. There is no drop and then sudden sling of the shaft around the body. He went fast and hard from the top which is the best way of holding off club face closure and keeping the heel leading the toe, no sudden jolt of the shaft from over acceleration. Trevino similar in saying you need great legs. Hitting a fifth ball. Feeling like you just place the club on the ball then sling it to the target. 

So yeah, I agree, that aesthetic is rare. There are some players that have elements of it. Tommy Fleetwood. Morikawa has a bit. Niemann. Sergio. 

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, powerfade66 said:

I agree there hasn’t been anyone matching his aesthetic. From early Hogan to successful Hogan the motion changes from using up the levers in the right side early and everything folding shortly after impact like a Patrick Reed to the distinctive Hogan follow through where the “finish swivel” is high and late up the plane. That is the heart of the Hogan swing in my opinion and the people that say it’s after the ball it doesn’t matter don’t get it, you cannot have that follow through without the pre impact attributes that allow it. 

Some of what Gary Player has said he was told explains some of it (the body releasing is the only way to be consistent) and then there is the talk of firing the right knee which saves the upper right side til later. He is the opposite of the languid hands dropping shaft flattening transition because he was low at the top. There is no drop and then sudden sling of the shaft around the body. He went fast and hard from the top which is the best way of holding off club face closure and keeping the heel leading the toe, no sudden jolt of the shaft from over acceleration. Trevino similar in saying you need great legs. Hitting a fifth ball. Feeling like you just place the club on the ball then sling it to the target. 

So yeah, I agree, that aesthetic is rare. There are some players that have elements of it. Tommy Fleetwood. Morikawa has a bit. Niemann. Sergio. 

Couldn't agree more sir! Cheers!

On 10/10/2020 at 11:13 AM, snick59 said:

His book was really about how not to  hit a hook and hit a draw, funny thing was he played a fade. 

The only funny thing here is you snick. Now I know why you keep defending MSE. Either you're the man himself or just someone who knows absolutely nothing about the golf swing especially Hogan's. Which by the way is the same thing LOL

• Haha 1

I am not sure I agree with you assertion that we have never seen another golfer with Hogan's "aesthetics" in their golfswing.  Have you ever looked at Slicefixer's 9 to 3 drill on youtube?  It features Matt Jones who was taught by Geoff Jones (Slicefixer).  The video shows Matt's swing against Hogan's, one would be hard pressed to see differences. Geoff believed Hogan had the best swing ever and developed his teaching philosophy based on Hogan's swing, but he has always maintained that he never wanted his students to look exactly like Hogan, he just wants them to utilize the same principles in Hogan's swing.  With Matt it just turned out, that their swings were extraordinarily similar.  Matt's professional golfing career was just starting to blossom when he was killed in a car accident and we never were able to really see what his true capability could become.

I cannot say what Hogan's secret was, or if he even had one.  He truly had a phenomenal golfswing and the commitment and intelligence to go along with.  I would also argue, that today's best golfers don't aspire to swing like Hogan, they are taught to master their own swings and reach for success based on their own native capabilities.  Looking for Hogan's secret might be a fascinating endeavor, but unless a new golfer is taught by someone like Slicefixer or the handful of other instructors that focus on Hogan's fundamentals, you won't see many aspiring professionals that are trying to find or replicate Hogan's secret.

Just an opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, stevehj said:

I am not sure I agree with you assertion that we have never seen another golfer with Hogan's "aesthetics" in their golfswing.  Have you ever looked at Slicefixer's 9 to 3 drill on youtube?  It features Matt Jones who was taught by Geoff Jones (Slicefixer).  The video shows Matt's swing against Hogan's, one would be hard pressed to see differences. Geoff believed Hogan had the best swing ever and developed his teaching philosophy based on Hogan's swing, but he has always maintained that he never wanted his students to look exactly like Hogan, he just wants them to utilize the same principles in Hogan's swing.  With Matt it just turned out, that their swings were extraordinarily similar.  Matt's professional golfing career was just starting to blossom when he was killed in a car accident and we never were able to really see what his true capability could become.

I cannot say what Hogan's secret was, or if he even had one.  He truly had a phenomenal golfswing and the commitment and intelligence to go along with.  I would also argue, that today's best golfers don't aspire to swing like Hogan, they are taught to master their own swings and reach for success based on their own native capabilities.  Looking for Hogan's secret might be a fascinating endeavor, but unless a new golfer is taught by someone like Slicefixer or the handful of other instructors that focus on Hogan's fundamentals, you won't see many aspiring professionals that are trying to find or replicate Hogan's secret.

Just an opinion.

OMG yes, that I totally forgot about Slicefixer and Spider's swing(wasn't his name Matt Loving?). Agreed. Most definitely Hogan DNA. No argument there. Nothing but respect to those great guys. Cheers sir!

Edited by SwagGolf6112
  • Like 2

Knudson was pretty close

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

5 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

Knudson was pretty close

Agree sir. They part ways after P8.

1079259354_gkswing.png.24e13f8d70d0bb854899285dcdb19484.png

Green line = Shoulders and arms structure after P8

Hogan's club = Blue line with arrow showing the direction the butt end of club still in line with his core. His unique swing DNA.

Knudson's club = Red line with arrow showing the direction the butt end of club pointing towards the target line as per any text book professional swing. A great classic swing. No doubt.

• Like 1

Very wide past the ball, which is why he loved Trevino

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/11/2020 at 10:37 PM, SwagGolf6112 said:

OMG yes, that I totally forgot about Slicefixer and Spider's swing(wasn't his name Matt Loving?). Agreed. Most definitely Hogan DNA. No argument there. Nothing but respect to those great guys. Cheers sir!

Yes, it was Matt Loving.  I was fortunate to see him hit balls in person twice, and it was very impressive.  Geoff told me he could get ball speeds into the low 180's back in '08, and he was about 5'11", 170 lbs.  He was a pretty darn good player, winning the Texas State Open in 2007, with an opening round of 62.  Pretty cool to have your name on the same trophy as Trevino, Crenshaw, Jackie Burke jr., and several other PGA tour pros.  He played in a couple of PGA tour events, made one cut.

• Like 3

On 10/22/2020 at 3:29 AM, virtuoso said:

I think it's possible that Hogan himself wasn't aware of his own real secret....or at least couldn't articulate it in a digestible way.

Yes and is why it’s frustrating when people come along and say he just learned to aim left and hit fades doing the opposite of what he did before. It is the complexity in his swing which is what makes it appear so simple. He chiseled away at it through thousands of hours of experimentation and would have made modifications here and there. Which is backed up by the various concepts he shared with friends. His swing has attributes that very few other great swings of the past have. And regardless of the aesthetics those that saw him play have been unanimous in saying he was the greatest ball striker they had ever seen. 

I think Hogan was sincere in the 1955 Life magazine article about his pronation secret, and it was the last piece he needed to take his game to the next level.  However, I read that in the 70's or early 80's he claimed to have another secret that would have pros "regularly shooting in the 50's."  He allegedly asked Golf Digest for $100k to reveal it, and they declined.

One of the huge problems when discussing Hogan's swing, is defining which era?  His swing had about 5 different eras and he does thing significantly differently in each era if you dig into the details.  But this can be very difficult to sort out due to lack of footage, especially around the mid '40's to '49 pre-accident.

Early swing (30's to around '40-42) 

Power golf swing (mid-late '40's pre-secret)

Post secret/pre-accident ('48-'49)

Post accident through early '60's

Old man swing ('70's Coleman footage hitting into the ocean)

Maybe throw in the mid/late 60's SWWoG and Darracott footage as a separate phase, although IMO, it's still a good representation of what he did in the early 50's.

I had lunch about 15 years ago with a guy that shag caddied for Hogan a couple of dozen times in the late '70s at Shady Oaks.  Said Hogan was still hitting balls about every other day.  He even brought some of his own, never before published photo's of Hogan from back then that he took himself.  Said Hogan's predominant ballflight was a slight draw at the time, but he could move it either way on command.  This guy was quite secretive himself, as he was a major brand regional club rep, and it wasn't for the Hogan company, so he didn't want people to know about this association he had with Hogan.  I got the opportunity because one of my best friends was this rep's neighbor growing up, and we by chance were playing in consecutive groups in the same scramble outing a couple of weeks prior, where we got introduced by our mutual friend.

• Like 3

Hogan probably had lot of secrets. The weak grip and cupped left wrist addressed his tendency to duck hook. He was already a world class player before that change. 

One of his downswing secret I believe he told John Schlee who was one of his disciples. I use this swing thought and it does a bunch of good things. It shallows the club, tucks the right elbow, drop the hands and maintains lag. It’s like 4 or 5 swing-thoughts in one. Schlee calls it The World Class Move. It sounds complicated but it can be condensed down to the last paragraph below.

Schlee was an odd duck, but Hogan took a liking to him non-the-less. He said that the ultimate physical secret Hogan gave to him was what he refer to as The World Class Move: "On the downswing, your right elbow and right hand drop down onto a narrower tighter power plane. The sole objective is to allow you to bring to maximum level the loading of your right hand, right wrist, right arm and right shoulder as deep into the swing as possible. It requires relaxed supple wrists and a light grip pressure. As you reach the top, start the left knee and hip level left, you allow what feels like a reverse loop with your hands. This move is magnified by a pulling back and down with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. The hands and arms then come straight down and the right elbow dives onto the front of the right hip with the right palm facing the sky, putting you on your power plane. Hogan called this laying off the club."

"Hogan asked me to make a back turn, then hold it at the top. From behind, he put his hand on the club and pulled it straight down behind my back about six inches."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, dap said:

Hogan probably had lot of secrets. The weak grip and cupped left wrist addressed his tendency to duck hook. He was already a world class player before that change. 

One of his downswing secret I believe he told John Schlee who was one of his disciples. I use this swing thought and it does a bunch of good things. It shallows the club, tucks the right elbow, drop the hands and maintains lag. It’s like 4 or 5 swing-thoughts in one. Schlee calls it The World Class Move. It sounds complicated but it can be condensed down to the last paragraph below.

Schlee was an odd duck, but Hogan took a liking to him non-the-less. He said that the ultimate physical secret Hogan gave to him was what he refer to as The World Class Move: "On the downswing, your right elbow and right hand drop down onto a narrower tighter power plane. The sole objective is to allow you to bring to maximum level the loading of your right hand, right wrist, right arm and right shoulder as deep into the swing as possible. It requires relaxed supple wrists and a light grip pressure. As you reach the top, start the left knee and hip level left, you allow what feels like a reverse loop with your hands. This move is magnified by a pulling back and down with the thumb and index finger of the right hand. The hands and arms then come straight down and the right elbow dives onto the front of the right hip with the right palm facing the sky, putting you on your power plane. Hogan called this laying off the club."

"Hogan asked me to make a back turn, then hold it at the top. From behind, he put his hand on the club and pulled it straight down behind my back about six inches."

Maximum Golf is a good read. Schlee also comes up in the Bertrand and Cortson books. Though more about the bowed left wrist.

The power plane thought is similar to what Greg Lavern said Moe told him - feel the knuckles of left hand go down and behind you from the top.

I don’t think you get Hogan til you get through it as late and as fully with the right side. But which this aids in. After the accident he said he couldn’t move into his left leg as much. 

57 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

This info sounds dubious to me. There's no way Hogan played with a light grip pressure - he said as much on more than one occasion. 

Yes and taking it back as low as he did there wasn’t a need for looping it under. He was already there. If anything he came over his backswing plane slightly, especially with irons. I agree that he maxed out the bend in the right wrist though. At his tempo there was no time for it to plane shift much anyway. Maybe that was just a feel to him - the clubhead loaded in behind the right wrist and forearm. He just didn’t need to move much to get it there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, powerfade66 said:

Yes and taking it back as low as he did there wasn’t a need for looping it under. He was already there. If anything he came over his backswing plane slightly, especially with irons. I agree that he maxed out the bend in the right wrist though. At his tempo there was no time for it to plane shift much anyway. Maybe that was just a feel to him - the clubhead loaded in behind the right wrist and forearm. He just didn’t need to move much to get it there. 

Yes, that's true. He was OTT from the inside. 

• 4 months later...
21 minutes ago, David C said:

Mac O’Grady more or less transitions from p4 to p5 then releases from P5 to p7.5 like Hogan. He has less weight shift and so his pivot is cleaner looking. But also less dynamic looking. Then they depart majorly in looks because of some arguably minor differences in dynamics (in terms of work) Mac doesn’t do in the release interval. Hogan and Mac both loop the hands over in transition, like Schlee’s world class move. Then they both pivot as fast as possible. However Hogan slings the energy into the clubhead more and I mean sling, around that right elbow,

motivated by pivot and arm throw, but he doesn’t let it ever release past right arm straight, whereas Mac does. Hogan is containing it with a hammer thrower attitude so his arms look like they are pulling out of his shoulder sockets whilst he maintains left armpit pressure; he has minor left wrist extension which appearance is amplified by ulnar deviation. 

Mac also slams that door shut in the upper left arm p7-p8 but he recocks it at 7.5. Hogan however does not let it release at p7.5 in any conventional sense. He in fact recocks it later at p9 but this is miles over his head, vertically. And possibly because the club has no other place to go. Mac recocks at p7.5 meaning his p9 is sooner. Both have the body in charge and probably eliminate left, however Hogan has more dynamism. He loads that club deep then slings it out and guides it with upper arm connection and pivot train in guiding it. It’s a deliberate loss of control. Mac tries to apply right arm structure throughout and has a less ‘free’ look as a result. I think he has the essence of Hogan’s release for all practical purposes.

In my opinion. 

Very well said. Closest I’ve seen to the images I have of both. Perfect rebuttal for the many that still think Hogan had little weight shift. Mac is a bit more Snead. Doesn’t have the sweepy right shoulder. 499EB919-67A8-4B69-9A61-58FE01D77976.png.b828060987b4fbd2257fce76be31b16f.png471C87F0-4F86-4DE1-8C52-32438F928166.png.3d6875726dca9ec5aa5ef9c1e581bd5f.png

Edited by powerfade66

Very interesting summary by DavidC.  Glad you captured it before he edited it all out.  Mac did go through a phase in the early/mid 2000's where he had a huge amount of lateral move toward the target in transition, in addition to his already very centered pivot, and then dumped the clubhead into the ground, getting really steep AoA.  He was hitting a fair bit of fairway flyers as a result.  Unfortunately, that's the Mac I got when I went to a MORAD school in '06.  Seems he's gotten back closer to where he was in the late 80's in recent years.  His best swing ever was what he originally developed in the 80's, and like most mad scientists, kept experimenting, and ran off the rails for a while, IMO.  His dynamics weren't as good starting with the extremely early wrist set at P2, unlike Hogan's caddy drag and late loading.  The early braking in the follow through and re-c0ck always had a bit of contrived or manufactured look to it, which didn't appeal to me either in comparison to Hogan.  Hogan always seemed to me like he was trying to feel like the clubhead was accelerating well past impact.  This intent should also help stabilize the clubface.  I believe he described this in either one of his books or in magazine articles.  I theorize that this may have had something to do with his unique impact sound, that so few players have.

• Like 2

I love that sequence those pics come from. I note the Ballard ‘half a left arm’ as well, it looks very soft at address. I think there are a lot of little quirks in his motion that aren’t totally necessary or repeatable for people not built like him. I don’t think you need the ‘half a left arm’ to achieve connection, which is more important. Some of these idiosyncrasies can be hurtful if you don’t match it up eg weak grip matched with lack of club rotation = fore right. Weight and body mass shift without a ‘automatic’ release trigger = inconsistent low point. I don’t think you need them to get the essence of his action.

Instead of a more centered pivot, like Mac, I call it a shift of everything to the right whilst trying to maintain the angle of the right leg at address (p75 5 Lessons?); he then moves everything target-wards, to the maximum, whilst loading the right elbow, and then rotating to the maximum. Then it’s just turn turn turn, right side unfurls to the max, left side pulls to to max, connection to the max, right arm fires (although it’s like a slap not a punch) core spins. His end of backswing he can’t get any further left so it probably felt like a spin to him. His 1948 swing he is over his left foot in a flash. Very rotational. Very fast. His ghost writer wrote something like ‘better to do things to the maximum rather than a little bit of give differently each different swing’.

In boxing it’s like he’s hitting a right hook, then turning it into a right cross in the followthrough.

Yes I edited it out and had a fat finger problem and then couldn’t be bothered to go back and rewrite it this evening lol. Glad he got it. I was fuming.

I agree about manufactured. I infer that Mac O’Grady wants to nail down the geometry for each station/section/position. Hence there is a structure to each section and therefore the swing as a whole. Certainly his ‘white shorts’ fuzzy cam corder swing has more of a flow to it than his more recent stuff. He’s also older I guess. My action looks ‘tighter’ since the last 20 years haha.  Each section has a function. Whereas with Hogan I think he simply wanted to set the clubhead free, loaded with energy, and it went where the energy took it. He just triggered it consistently. Obviously no video camera no golfing machine book etc and learned by imitation and instinct.