Kirkland Wedge Review - Yes, the real ones!

johnnied

On 10/9/2020 at 7:43 PM, johnnied said:

The 60deg has a bounce of 8 deg, is a D4, and seems to have a higher toe than the others.The high tow is good for when you open up the clubface to "loft" it up. Well, this is where the grind becomes a problem. With the "D" grind on the 60deg, opening up the clubface caused the hozel area and back center of the sole to dig. You could see the mat stroke lines at the back of the sole.  What should happen is that the center of the sole should be the highest bounce, but because the sole is so deep when you open the clubface the back of the sole and hozel area catches, which closes the clubface, and shots went left.

I believe this is what bounce is really there for... to help square the face.  We grind it to allow for keeping the face open.  This isn't a design flaw.  It simply means that to play open faced shots, the trailing edge needs a grind.  

Thanks for the review!  I was curious about these..

Edited by bogeypro
Correction
  • Like 1

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I def like the look of the squashed toe, not a fan of the big bulbous end on a lot of wedges. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

On 10/9/2020 at 5:43 PM, johnnied said:
PIcked up a set of the new Kirkland wedges at Costco (San Diego Morena) today. $159.99 Came as a set of three; a 52-10, a 56-10 and a 60-8. All lies are 64deg. The 52 is D3, the 56 and 60 is a D4. I went and hit a bucket off of mats, but more on that in a second.

The wedges are a tour chrome finish with a basic plain back with the words Kirkland Signature. The toe has the degrees and bounce inscribed. The face is crossmilled and looks like the Vokey SM5's  The bounce pattern is similar to a Vokey "D" grind, and is the same on all wedges. The words "Carbon Steel" are etched into the back of the hozel. The shaft is a stepped pattern in steel. Don't know whose. The grip is a black composition grip similar to a tour velvet with the words Kirkland Signature on it.

Overall the presentation is nice and professional looking. No razzle dazzle.

I hit the 52deg first. Swing weight is D3, and it felt fine. I hit it about 105 yds, or about 10 yds shorter than my 50deg, which is expected. Hits and results were repeatable. One thing I found was that the shaft seemed lighter and a little softer than my Vokeys and if I tried to swing hard the head couldn't catch up fast enough and it felt like a hockey shot. But just slowing down a little produced the 105 yds over and over again. I could feel the clubhead on the entire swing, which I like.  The wedges are tour chrome, and I'm used to black finish so looking down was different, but got used to it after a few shots. Lining the grooves up to the target line was easy.

Now the 56deg. Swing weight is D4, and felt fine. I hit it aout 95 yds or about 5 yds shorter than my 54 Vokey (bent to 55). Same thing happened when trying to hit it hard, the shaft tip wouldn't catch up, so timing was a little bit of an issue. Clubhead feel and lining up were good.

The 60deg has a bounce of 8 deg, is a D4, and seems to have a higher toe than the others.The high tow is good for when you open up the clubface to "loft" it up. Well, this is where the grind becomes a problem. With the "D" grind on the 60deg, opening up the clubface caused the hozel area and back center of the sole to dig. You could see the mat stroke lines at the back of the sole.  What should happen is that the center of the sole should be the highest bounce, but because the sole is so deep when you open the clubface the back of the sole and hozel area catches, which closes the clubface, and shots went left.

My first thought was to take it into the garage and change the grind to more of a "M" grind. This would remove metal from the back of the sole and some from the hozel area. But before I do I thought I'd experiment some more. So I hit some in-between shots and chips.

Chips and pitches were good and predictable. I could control the distance OK. Spin was excellent. Pitching 20-30 yds with the 60deg was the easiest of the three wedges.

I would have no hesitation putting these in my bag, but would need a few mods first. 1. I'd grind down the 60deg so I could open up the face without digging. 2. Adjust the lies to 62deg (2 deg flat)  and 3, change the grips to Lamkin cords. The last two are personal fitting issues that have nothing to do with the clubs.

So do I keep them or do I take them back?  It was $159 for 3 wedges, great deal. My Vokeys are $184 each. I think I'll do some grinding and tweeking and see if I can dial these in. And, at $159 I might just see if I can beat my buddy at the helicopter game.
Johnnie

Try flattening the club 2* and leave the loft at 60* before adding loft and grinding. You should see the bounce show more in the center. I would try that before grinding the heel area. But I just realized that I might be too late in responding as I was not on the site when you were posting.

• Like 2

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

I too managed to get a hold of a box and finally got a chance to give them a good test.  My initial take is what I believed they would be... a great value for a starting golfer who wants off-the-shelf decent quality, nice look clubs at a lower price point.  However, I think most semi-seasoned golfers who know their clubs will recognize quickly that the spec will be crap shoot for them, and those players may only be interested only if they feel these clubs come close enough to their spec, and/or they are very curious like me.

Unlike the KS-1 putter, which I personally think was a slam dunk and a very usable putter for all spectrums, especially with the weight kit employed, the wedges aren't as much plug & play for so many reasons, but for the sake of not over-debating things, let's just put aside that no one is getting fit for these clubs.  Accept that they are fun clubs that are mainly intended for a beginner or off-the-shelf buyer who never intends on a fitting and just wants clubs.  Bounce, lie, loft, shaft are all fixed, down-the-middle offerings in an attempt to satisfy the cross section of buyers.

For myself, whom I regard as an intermediate player (play about 6 times a year and get in tons of range sessions), I can make a lot of different grinds work, but I recognize what works best for me.  The 60* wedge was definitely not my favorite, and I attribute this mostly to how particular I am about my 60* wedge spec, which changes depending on conditions.  On the other hand, I found the 56* perfect for my play as an all around full/partial shot wedge, with the right grind for my strike.  I use my 52* on full swings exclusively, and that's where the wedge flex wasn't my friend (I use a stiff shaft in my 52*), but I found no problems creating repeatable strikes and carry, just not the distance I'm used to, some of which is because of the steep grind and higher bounce than I'm used to.  

The clubs themselves look respectable, with some attention to detail on milling that you don't get from comparably priced clubs, and not as obvious branding as Kirkland felt compelled on the KS-1.  The leading edge is a razor with no relief, which is going to be more challenging on soft conditions.  Grips are a standard Lamkin Crossline labeled as Kirkland brand, as are the True Temper made for Kirkland shafts.  I thought they played very well and had the feel of any other good cast club, but they don't compare to premium forged heads, and will feel different to those used to that pedigree.

Costco's ridiculously generous return policy provides the equivalent of a free test session, so I think it's worth anyone's time to check out a set if they're remotely interested, unless you are simply too far out of spec to play these.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SGVDoug said:

I too managed to get a hold of a box and finally got a chance to give them a good test.  My initial take is what I believed they would be... a great value for a starting golfer who wants off-the-shelf decent quality, nice look clubs at a lower price point.  However, I think most semi-seasoned golfers who know their clubs will recognize quickly that the spec will be crap shoot for them, and those players may only be interested only if they feel these clubs come close enough to their spec, and/or they are very curious like me.

Unlike the KS-1 putter, which I personally think was a slam dunk and a very usable putter for all spectrums, especially with the weight kit employed, the wedges aren't as much plug & play for so many reasons, but for the sake of not over-debating things, let's just put aside that no one is getting fit for these clubs.  Accept that they are fun clubs that are mainly intended for a beginner or off-the-shelf buyer who never intends on a fitting and just wants clubs.  Bounce, lie, loft, shaft are all fixed, down-the-middle offerings in an attempt to satisfy the cross section of buyers.

For myself, whom I regard as an intermediate player (play about 6 times a year and get in tons of range sessions), I can make a lot of different grinds work, but I recognize what works best for me.  The 60* wedge was definitely not my favorite, and I attribute this mostly to how particular I am about my 60* wedge spec, which changes depending on conditions.  On the other hand, I found the 56* perfect for my play as an all around full/partial shot wedge, with the right grind for my strike.  I use my 52* on full swings exclusively, and that's where the wedge flex wasn't my friend (I use a stiff shaft in my 52*), but I found no problems creating repeatable strikes and carry, just not the distance I'm used to, some of which is because of the steep grind and higher bounce than I'm used to.  

The clubs themselves look respectable, with some attention to detail on milling that you don't get from comparably priced clubs, and not as obvious branding as Kirkland felt compelled on the KS-1.  The leading edge is a razor with no relief, which is going to be more challenging on soft conditions.  Grips are a standard Lamkin Crossline labeled as Kirkland brand, as are the True Temper made for Kirkland shafts.  I thought they played very well and had the feel of any other good cast club, but they don't compare to premium forged heads, and will feel different to those used to that pedigree.

Costco's ridiculously generous return policy provides the equivalent of a free test session, so I think it's worth anyone's time to check out a set if they're remotely interested, unless you are simply too far out of spec to play these.  

Cliff notes to this would be, “decent”. Pretty thorough synopsis, my friend. 

10 hours ago, SGVDoug said:

For myself, whom I regard as an intermediate player (play about 6 times a year and get in tons of range sessions), I can make a lot of different grinds work. 

I will take your review with a grain of salt when you say you play 6 times a year and then go on to say you can make a lot of different grinds work. 

For your last comment about returns, sounds like you are one of the many that should have your Costco membership pulled.

As far as the wedges, they are a great value, and can’t comment too much on them with only 1 round in with the set. 52 was money for me 90yds out on only 2 shots landing within 5’ both shots, with the 56 out of 1 bunker landing it 2ft from the pin. 60deg haven’t touched yet. They defiantly feel a lot lighter than my ping 2.0 glides. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

9 out of 10 by RS...

I guess he doesn't know that "the spec will be crap shoot", or that "they would be a great fit for a beginner to average golfer with a driver swing speed under 95"

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 11/3/2020 at 12:35 AM, SGVDoug said:

Bro, I played 6 times last week...lol

• Haha 1

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

How is a wedge that can be bought in Costco in "Tour and Pre-Release"?

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

• 3 months later...

Bought a set of the Kirkland Wedges a few months ago. Have chipped in the house, seemed to feel good in the hands and was able to develop some spin to check the balls even with the indoor plastic balls.

Went to a simulator with a GCQuad a few weeks ago and hit the 56* in the following wedges:

• Kirkland
  • Cleveland RTX-4
  • Titleist Vokey SM-7
  • Ping Glide (not sure if 2.0)

I hit the wedges all roughly the same distance (~105yds). I did notice quite a bit of difference in spin:

Kirkland: 9,200

Vokey SM-7: 9,500

RTX-4: 10,000

Glide: 10,500

It could be that the difference in spin could be related to the age of the clubs and how worn the groves were. I was expecting the Vokey & Cleveland to be much closer. I was shocked to see me generating the most spin from the Ping Glide.

However, for the cost, the Kirkland Wedges present tremendous value and I would recommend them to most golfers.

Additionally, buying a new set of Kirkland Wedges every season is a lot easier on the wallet than replacing 3 wedges every year from one of brands mentioned above. At $169 shipped ($159 in store), this is the cost of a single wedge from the others. If the option is a new set of Kirkland wedges every season vs replacing the other wedges every 3 years... I wonder if the Kirkland would provide a performance advantage in that regard.

Lastly, I am a little disappointed in the lofts offered. I get that 52/56/60 was traditionally the lofts for wedges when a PW was 48*, but I find a huge gap between my 45* PW (135yds) and a 52* wedge (115yds). I would love to see Kirkland offer a 50/54/58 degree set. I get that to make the big-box store price, they can't sell fitted wedges, but having a 2nd offering that accommodates the "jacked" lofts of more recent iron sets would be nice.

Edited by SoCalRyan

Also picked up a set of these wedges. Not bad for beginners and those golfers who really don't care about bounce, lie, loft particulars. I agree with SGVDoug and johnnied about 60 and 52 degree clubs. I'm a 12 HCP and not a big fan of the 60 on open faced shots and have to slow /smooth out my swing to get the 52 head to catch up on full shots. I thinking I would like to put stiffer shafts in and play with the grind when I get a chance. I play MD5's right now so these will probably go in my loaner bag for my guest who may want to golf with me. Either ways, great price for three playable wedges.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:35 AM, SGVDoug said:

On 11/7/2020 at 2:33 AM, Benzo said:

Bro, I played 6 times last week...lol

My point exactly! How can you be an intermediate player with 6 rounds a year?  Sorry, but I've seen a lot of Tiger Woods swings at the range that turn into a S**t show on the course.  Like the guy who hits tons of home runs during batting practice but strikes out 150 times a year.

On 2/19/2021 at 4:08 PM, SoCalRyan said:

Bought a set of the Kirkland Wedges a few months ago. Have chipped in the house, seemed to feel good in the hands and was able to develop some spin to check the balls even with the indoor plastic balls.

Went to a simulator with a GCQuad a few weeks ago and hit the 56* in the following wedges:

• Kirkland
  • Cleveland RTX-4
  • Titleist Vokey SM-7
  • Ping Glide (not sure if 2.0)

I hit the wedges all roughly the same distance (~105yds). I did notice quite a bit of difference in spin:

Kirkland: 9,200

Vokey SM-7: 9,500

RTX-4: 10,000

Glide: 10,500

It could be that the difference in spin could be related to the age of the clubs and how worn the groves were. I was expecting the Vokey & Cleveland to be much closer. I was shocked to see me generating the most spin from the Ping Glide.

However, for the cost, the Kirkland Wedges present tremendous value and I would recommend them to most golfers.

Additionally, buying a new set of Kirkland Wedges every season is a lot easier on the wallet than replacing 3 wedges every year from one of brands mentioned above. At $169 shipped ($159 in store), this is the cost of a single wedge from the others. If the option is a new set of Kirkland wedges every season vs replacing the other wedges every 3 years... I wonder if the Kirkland would provide a performance advantage in that regard.

Lastly, I am a little disappointed in the lofts offered. I get that 52/56/60 was traditionally the lofts for wedges when a PW was 48*, but I find a huge gap between my 45* PW (135yds) and a 52* wedge (115yds). I would love to see Kirkland offer a 50/54/58 degree set. I get that to make the big-box store price, they can't sell fitted wedges, but having a 2nd offering that accommodates the "jacked" lofts of more recent iron sets would be nice.

These are WAY underrated. They are really good. But I would probably rather see them in 50, 54, 58. Or something nonstandard 50, 55, 60. The gap between modern loft PW and 52 makes an AW needed most likely. That’s not a problem with the 52, but more the 43-44 degree PWs. 

3 hours ago, winegr said:

These are WAY underrated. They are really good. But I would probably rather see them in 50, 54, 58. Or something nonstandard 50, 55, 60. The gap between modern loft PW and 52 makes an AW needed most likely. That’s not a problem with the 52, but more the 43-44 degree PWs. 

I’d bet the more standard setup is appealing to casual golfers... people generically think of sand wedges as 56 and lob wedges as 60.

I think people would be better off with a 50, 54, 58 setup but that seems more likely to confuse the average consumer.

im curious to see if any of the causal guys at my club are playing them this year... plenty available at my Local branch.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

5 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

I’d bet the more standard setup is appealing to casual golfers... people generically think of sand wedges as 56 and lob wedges as 60.

I think people would be better off with a 50, 54, 58 setup but that seems more likely to confuse the average consumer.

im curious to see if any of the causal guys at my club are playing them this year... plenty available at my Local branch.

I hit more memorably good shots in a handful of rounds playing these than recent years with my Clevelands and Callaways. They set up very well to my eye and spin well. Precise, but easy to hit. I’m sure my playing partners roll their eyes a bit.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winegr said:

I hit more memorably good shots in a handful of rounds playing these than recent years with my Clevelands and Callaways. They set up very well to my eye and spin well. Precise, but easy to hit. I’m sure my playing partners roll their eyes a bit.   

Eh, I’d roll my eyes at the gold plated expensive clubs more than a set of kirklands... at least they will have fresh grooves!

glad they are working for you... I went sub70 as I wanted specific shafts, needed 2 wedges, wanted them longer and had a specific setup in mind... ideally, I’ll play enough golf this season to need new ones next year.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

One of my playing partners (with Kirkland wedges) hit one stiff today and stated..."love these wedges."  He's a good player with an excellent short game.  Gotta love Costco for great products that fly in the face of the "name brands."  

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 4 months later...

I tried my friend's Kirkland 60 today with various shots around the green to various sand shots.   The Kirkland 60 lob wedge is one of the best wedges I've ever played.  I was hitting all kinds of shots any which way I wanted them under various different lies.  As someone who has played various wedges from the Cleveland 588, 900, most TM wedges, various Callys from JAWs to the PM grinds, most Vokeys, and various Ping Glides.  I'm a wedge ho of the highest order.  I loved the Kirkland 60 wedge so much I bought one from Ebay on the spot with my cellphone.  😂 

I used to have a + index not long ago and can still break par when the putter cooperates.  I was shocked at how good the Kirkland wedge was.    The feel is fantastic and every bit as good as forged Glides to Vokeys. 

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 18 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter