Is your grip the same throughout your bag?

Do you use the same grip for your driver all the way through your bag?  When I’m having a hard time missing right I will strengthen my driver grip a little.  Lately I’ve also been experimenting with gripping my wedges a little weaker on full shots (I had been struggling with pulling them a little).  

I’m currently a 6.2 and have a tendency to over tinker...do any of you guys make any grip adjustments or try to have more consistency by using the same grip.  Those that do change their grip, what is your handicap.  FWIW I’m not talking about changing your grip for a specific shot, but just as a stock shot.  I definitely strengthen my grip when I’m trying to hit a draw but that’s not what I’m talking about...

• Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some bad reading comprehension in this thread

You are not the problem. I assure you. 

Short term almost anything is ok as a band aid to get you to the club house.   Long term you’re asking for trouble doing this.  Everyone has a section of the bag where they compensate perfec

Not for me, no. My driver and 3i-GW are all the same because I had them regripped at the same time. But my 55 and 60 degree, and my 2-iron are different grips - the stock grips that came with them when I bought them. 

I usually only re-grip my clubs every 2-3 years. Probably because I don't have a very strong grip. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges (60, 55, 50)

This is a funny thread. Read people, READ! 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

7 hours ago, jomatty said:

Do you use the same grip for your driver all the way through your bag?  When I’m having a hard time missing right I will strengthen my driver grip a little.  Lately I’ve also been experimenting with gripping my wedges a little weaker on full shots (I had been struggling with pulling them a little).  

I’m currently a 6.2 and have a tendency to over tinker...do any of you guys make any grip adjustments or try to have more consistency by using the same grip.  Those that do change their grip, what is your handicap.  FWIW I’m not talking about changing your grip for a specific shot, but just as a stock shot.  I definitely strengthen my grip when I’m trying to hit a draw but that’s not what I’m talking about...

The last 2-3 weeks I'm doing the same as you with my driver by strengthening the grip position on my left hand & making sure my right hand is nice and loose on the grip, it's helped me significantly, if I'm driving the ball well I'm breaking 80 consistently. Irons & wedges back to normal or a bit weaker grip position & pressure, too.

For those who read changing grips vs grip position, I went from a std to oversized Tour Velvet Align grip which also helped me with hand position & grip pressure and lower scores were the result.

Trust this helps.

David

Edited by ZipinZ

Ping G400 Driver - Tensei Pro Orange 60 or Tour Ad Di6 Stiff
Ping G400 14.5* 3 Wood - Tour Ad Di8-S
Ping G410 4/22* HYB -Tensei Pro Orange 80S Hybrid
Ping G410 3/19* HYB -Tour AD Di-85S Hybrid
Titleist 718 AP2 5-9i - Steelfiber i95S
Titleist SM6 Steelfiber i110S - 46-50-56-60
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Laguna
Ping DLX Cart Bag -  V1 Sport Push Cart
Garmin Approach G80

7 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Short term almost anything is ok as a band aid to get you to the club house.

Long term you’re asking for trouble doing this.  Everyone has a section of the bag where they compensate perfectly for their faults, while other sections it’s horrible.  

The better idea is to find the root problem for why.....improve it and the clubs you’re ok with will get even better.

This was what I suspected.  Thanks for the reply.  

Slightly stronger right hand in my woods and weaker in my wedges.

i use medium grips, but I have read smaller can help promote left and larger right, so might actually go with a +4 grip in my woods and oversize in wedges.

answering both interpretations of the OP... haha

No. A little weaker on the pitches and "finesse" wedges while all of the power shots are gripped the same. 

• Like 1

JBeam Bullet 10*                      Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD               Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD                     Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 5-PW                  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60   MCI MMT-125TX 

Bettinardi DASS MiNOVAi Tour Prototype 

For driver, fairway woods, and hybrids I tend to have a stronger grip in both hands because my miss tends to be a strong fade. For most of my irons and wedges I use a more neutral grip unless I'm trying to hit a specific shot. 

It really comes down to fuller and faster swings leave the face more open for me vs controlled and smooth swings don't.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic GBB 10.5*
Mizuno ST190 3 Wood

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3 Iron
Titleist TS2 23* (4 Hybrid)
Titleist T100S 5-GW 
Callaway Mack Daddy 54*

Callaway Mack Daddy 58*
TaylorMade Spider Tour
Snell MTB-X

I guess I will be the outlier and say that my driver and 3 wood is very weak.  Wedges are stronger and get stronger with touchier, short distance shots.  I open the face a bunch though and play a little hook spin on the green.  

Maybe naturally the club seems to move a little more out into my fingers with short pitches and chips.  Not choked back in my hand but necessarily gripped a little tighter, more solidly, with full swing shots.

If we are talking the physical grip itself, all of mine are GP MCC Align. If we are talking about HOW we grip the club then sometimes I am more conscious of how I am gripping it than at other times. Depending on what my shot shape is on any given day while playing (I have no range warm-up before rounds) I can go stronger or weaker depending on what I need to correct based on what I am seeing.

Grip for me stays pretty constant. As I go down the line towards my shorter irons, my grips get gradually fatter towards midsize just to quite my hands more. Other than that, I usually keep to the same for all of my shots. 

TaylorMade RBZ Tour 9* Motore 60 S/ SLDR Preferred 430 10* 661 Stiff Flex
TaylorMade SLDR 17* Motore 77 Tour Spec X

TaylorMade SLDR 20* Motore 8.3 Tour Spec X

Bridgestone J15 Mb 4-PW Recoil 110 F4

Bridgestone J40 52/58 

Cleveland Hunington Beach #11 Raw
Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Miss Lippy's car is green...

I don't change the strength of my grip from club to club, however I use a ten finger baseball grip with my driver/woods (which have Jumbomax ultralite xs grips on them) and a standard overlap grip on my irons (which have midsize grips). I know it's crazy.

Edited by Arthur_Vandelay