CJ Cup @ Shadow Creek

Where

Shadow Creek/MGM Resort

72/7560 yds

Built in 1989 at a cost of $60 million

Flyover (it's in the middle of the desert, but has been totally fabricated to be a tree-lined course)

Flyover II

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2020/10/13/shadow-creek-secret-golfing-wonderland-the-cj-cup.html

Five things to know: Shadow Creek

Who

78 players w/no cut

Top 5 from the OWGR will play; 38 of the top 50, including Xander & Brooks; Rose/Spieth/Fowler/Poulter/Fleetwood are in on a sponsor's exemption

DJ's the favorite, followed by Rory and Rahm; bit of value for Sergio & Lowry down there in the 45ish range; Wolf sitting at 20/1; Hatton coming off a win

also includes 18 yo Joo-Hyung Kim

field

odds

Why don't you roll the dice and ask for referrals anyway? - AdviserVoice  AdviserVoice

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where Shadow Creek/MGM Resort 72/7560 yds Built in 1989 at a cost of $60 million Flyover (it's in the middle of the desert, but has been totally fabricated to be a tree-lined cours

As a Brit, I think I speak for many of us when I say, you guys can keep him. Complete tool. Easy to be charming when you shoot 65 but his behaviour and demeanour when it’s not going his way is appalli

Here, here!  Don't condone it but I get it.  Always a fave.

Posted Images

• Like 2

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

Great to see this course as a tour location. I think it will feature very well and be an interesting watch. 

Edited by QuigleyDU
  • Like 2

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Sigh. I was hoping to get on Shadow Creek for my birthday in two weeks (going back to my old home for a week) ... but it's closed for a private event that day. 😞 

Titleist TS2 8.5°

Titleist TS2 15°, 18°

Titleist TS2H 21°

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW

Vokey SM8 54°, 60°

Scotty Cameron Custom Phantom X8

America’s 5th best public course? Ahead of Pinehurst #2, Bandon Dunes, and Bethpage Black according to Golf Digest. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/americas-100-greatest-public-courses-ranking?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=golfdigest

Edited by Holy Moses

Ping G30 LS Tec 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G400 Crossover 19* (Tensei CK Pro Blue 80S)
Ping i20 3-UW (PXi 6.0, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

9 hours ago, tiderider said:

strength of field is an impressive 670 ... not bad for a vegas event ... 

Short field (78 players) that only includes many of the top players from various tours. Same as the ZOZO next week. Strength of field this week will drop some w/o DJ playing and JT Poston as his replacement.

https://www.pgatour.com/inside-the-field/2020/10/09/how-they-qualified-field-the-cj-cup-at-shadow-creek.html

Edited by grm24

Looking forward to it. Since the US Open, the past few weeks have been kind of ho hum but good to see more big names bag in this week and next.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

https://www.pgatour.com/tour-insider/2020/10/13/shadow-creek-secret-golfing-wonderland-the-cj-cup.html

In the early days, the course was completely exclusive, tee times beyond rare. Not needing or wanting publicity, Shadow Creek is said to have turned down a spread in Sports Illustrated.

Things have opened up a little since 2000, when the property was acquired by MGM. You can play there at charity events like Tiger Woods’ annual Tiger Jam, if you are so inclined. But it still remains pretty exclusive on weekends. Stay at an MGM property and you can try to play during the week. It will cost you around $600, but you’ll feel every bit like celebrity.

Your ride to the course? A limo. Want champagne and caviar mid round? It’s available. Want a hotdog or hamburger instead? Sure. Every part of the experience is as extravagant as you want it to be. Want your food cut into small pieces and bagged up? Not an issue.

Michael Jordan occasionally plays Shadow Creek, as have Wayne Gretzky, Derek Jeter, Clint Eastwood, Matt Damon, Sylvester Stallone and George Clooney. No. 43 George W. Bush used to keep a fishing rod in a locker and would chuck a line in some of the waterways.

“The first time I played it, I met Elizabeth Taylor on the 17th tee,” Tiger Woods told Steve DiMeglio of Golfweek before his match with Mickelson in 2018. “And that kind of stuck out because, well, you don’t meet people like that when you are a kid.”

Hoffman caddied during his college years at UNLV for $15 an hour. It was the 1990s, and Wynn was adamant that tipping wasn’t allowed at Shadow Creek. There were stiff penalties for those who broke the rule and accepted a gratuity, Hoffman says. And his face still lights up as he recalls looping for players marking their golf balls “with chips in colors I’d never seen before.”

Fazio reckons maybe a quarter of what you hear about Shadow Creek’s money games is true, but Hoffman guesses six-figure sums hung in the balance when he worked there.

“Guys are gambling for $10,000 a hole,” he says, “and back in the day you weren’t allowed to take tips, so you’re reading putts for $10,000 and here I don't have two nickels to rub together. That’s a lot of pressure.” Still, he tried to keep it light as a caddie.

“I’d say things like, ‘Are you going to pull this one like you did the last one? Because my read will be different,’” Hoffman says. “And they always seemed to like that sort of stuff. It was a fun place to work while in college to make a couple extra bucks and buy a few dinners.”

Edited by tiderider
  • Like 2

Still looking forward to this event. 

2 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

Is this on TV? Golf channel has shown yesterday’s hit and forced giggle twice now today. 

Lol yeah there wasn't much chemistry to speak of. I've watched a couple of these things and they're always a bit awkward imo. The pros spend their entire lives from age 8 on their games and don't develop very charismatic personalities. Some are cooler than others though. Rickie was bland and seemed shy which was surprising to me since he seems to have more flair than most golfers.

not sure it's an 'achievement' to build that course ... a blank check was written ... nothing extraordinary was done ... some really expensive things were done ... that said, it's still neat to have a course like that in the middle of a desert area ... not looking to offend anyone that has lived in a more harsh desert environment ... 

hatton cracks me up ... he's got a perfect balance of temper and humor ... 

51 minutes ago, tiderider said:

not sure it's an 'achievement' to build that course ... a blank check was written ... nothing extraordinary was done ... some really expensive things were done ... that said, it's still neat to have a course like that in the middle of a desert area ... not looking to offend anyone that has lived in a more harsh desert environment ... 

hatton cracks me up ... he's got a perfect balance of temper and humor ... 

He is an interesting guy. His thoughtful charm and affability in interviews couldn’t be further from the image he portrays on the course. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

He is an interesting guy. His thoughtful charm and affability in interviews couldn’t be further from the image he portrays on the course. 

As a Brit, I think I speak for many of us when I say, you guys can keep him. Complete tool. Easy to be charming when you shoot 65 but his behaviour and demeanour when it’s not going his way is appalling.

• Like 3

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

4 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

As a Brit, I think I speak for many of us when I say, you guys can keep him. Complete tool. Easy to be charming when you shoot 65 but his behaviour and demeanour when it’s not going his way is appalling.

He seems to have calmed down some.  Maybe winning is taking care of some of the attitude on the course.  As a guy who watches a LOT of ET tournaments, I've seen this guy lose it on the course on TV.  A bad shot wasn't just a bad shot.  It was a personal affront to everything in his mind that should have happened.  It wasn't a good look.  When he tossed that wood out of the bunker after duffing a shot he probably shouldn't have taken, I thought, "Figures.  Here it comes..."  But that was it.  So that is actually improvement over what he's done in the past.  Weird.

Edited by tbowles411
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
2 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

He seems to have calmed down some.  Maybe winning is taking care of some of the attitude on the course.  As a guy who watches a LOT of ET tournaments, I've seen this guy lose it on the course on TV.  A bad shot wasn't just a bad shot.  It was a personal affront to everything in his mind that should have happened.  It wasn't a good look.  When he tossed that wood out of the bunker after duffing a shot he probably shouldn't have taken, I thought, "Figures.  Here it comes..."  But that was it.  So that is actually improvement over what he's done in the past.  Weird.

I struggle to get past his behaviour at the Scottish Open last year when we walked round with him and JT. That was the event that he tomahawked an iron on one fairway, thankfully there were no fans adjacent to where the club landed. His petulant behaviour was on display from the 2nd or 3rd hole. His language was appalling with kids around and the self entitlement spewed out of him. Was neither here nor there on him before then. After that, I am out.

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

28 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

I struggle to get past his behaviour at the Scottish Open last year when we walked round with him and JT. That was the event that he tomahawked an iron on one fairway, thankfully there were no fans adjacent to where the club landed. His petulant behaviour was on display from the 2nd or 3rd hole. His language was appalling with kids around and the self entitlement spewed out of him. Was neither here nor there on him before then. After that, I am out.

Here, here!  Don't condone it but I get it.  Always a fave.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

W/S Cortex 10.5*
W/S C300 15*
W/S C300 20*/23*
WS FG Tour 5-P
W/S PMP 52/56/60
TM Patina Juno

2 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

You mean like the time the world #1 threw his driver into the gallery in Australia?

18 hours ago, Golf10 said:

What's it run nowadays to play SC?

Always thought it was a monumental achievement for Fazio.

If you stay at MGM, SC runs about 500, but they limo you to the course, take care of you bag etc.  Closed Fri-Sun except for special guests, which I suspect means "big players".

2 hours ago, farmer said:

If you stay at MGM, SC runs about 500, but they limo you to the course, take care of you bag etc.  Closed Fri-Sun except for special guests, which I suspect means "big players".

Good info, thanks.  Surprised it's closed weekends.  Do they have members at SC?

11 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

I don't want him. Send him to Spain with Jon Rahm.  They can try to out do each other.  

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, gvogel said:

What the heck is Xander up to?  He is tearing the place apart.

He is going NBA jam on this [email protected]$cH.