Jump to content

Irons that go far but don't have a ton of offset?


Recommended Posts

Give JR a call at arias golf. I will be doing a review on these shortly.. I have been gaming a set for a year now  and just ordered another set for my condo.  Mine beat out my ping blueprints and my Srixon 945s. 
 

They look better at address and are honestly super forgiving. 
 

I detest the look of offset and these, well they have none.  I know offset to some golfers, makes them look more forgiving. These are however the easiest irons to hit I think I have ever tried. 

C28AE7E7-C0B3-49F5-ABE3-36E3BE8F879C.jpeg

0959AE0D-B6C3-4A9B-8680-00533E8821DF.jpeg

  • Like 2

Taylormade m6 8.0  t1100 85 6.5
Taylormade m5 15   T1100 95 6.5
Pxg gen 2 x 3 iron 
Miura MC 501 raw 4-w Nippon spb x
Miura 51 55 59 wedges s400 
Slighter custom Tacoma

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HM pro. It’s exactly what you are describing offset is not much different than the tour

Srixie z545 or 565 too much offset? They hott with great turf interaction

Taylormade P790

Posted Images

I know offset is subjective but I find anything over 3 mm as too much, which is what my 4 iron has now.

 

Regarding distance, I don't know if it's the new ball, new swing, new shafts (Apollo 105 tipped SX had X100's)  or my new irons (Acer XV Tour) which are a couple of degrees stronger than my last set but my 9 iron is going 155, which before at best was 145 10 years ago.

 

Also, I'm sure my Apollo 105 gram shafts have something to do with it as they certainly kick more than the X100's but honestly I like it and they feel really good, and cheap too. It probably doesn't help my hook though.

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 400yards+ said:

Give JR a call at arias golf. I will be doing a review on these shortly.. I have been gaming a set for a year now  and just ordered another set for my condo.  Mine beat out my ping blueprints and my Srixon 945s. 
 

They look better at address and are honestly super forgiving. 
 

I detest the look of offset and these, well they have none.  I know offset to some golfers, makes them look more forgiving. These are however the easiest irons to hit I think I have ever tried. 

C28AE7E7-C0B3-49F5-ABE3-36E3BE8F879C.jpeg

0959AE0D-B6C3-4A9B-8680-00533E8821DF.jpeg

What club is that?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ReidThompson said:

What club is that?

The arias golf d23.

Taylormade m6 8.0  t1100 85 6.5
Taylormade m5 15   T1100 95 6.5
Pxg gen 2 x 3 iron 
Miura MC 501 raw 4-w Nippon spb x
Miura 51 55 59 wedges s400 
Slighter custom Tacoma

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 12:44 PM, ScottF said:

I’m not adverse to offset but my Titleist T300s don’t have much offset. This is looking down on the 5 iron.

 

 

308012FA-8EBB-4903-BFA5-233CC525BDFB.jpeg

I see a good amount of offset there, though it's trying hard to hide/blend it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, brew4eagle said:

I see a good amount of offset there, though it's trying hard to hide/blend it

 

Some irons have the offset gradually increasing from the hosel and these look better to me than ones that have abrupt offset, like Hogans or Mizunos(at least it used to be that way.) I don't mind a little offset but no more than 3mm.

  • Like 1

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 1:41 AM, 400yards+ said:

Give JR a call at arias golf. I will be doing a review on these shortly.. I have been gaming a set for a year now  and just ordered another set for my condo.  Mine beat out my ping blueprints and my Srixon 945s. 
 

They look better at address and are honestly super forgiving. 
 

I detest the look of offset and these, well they have none.  I know offset to some golfers, makes them look more forgiving. These are however the easiest irons to hit I think I have ever tried. 

C28AE7E7-C0B3-49F5-ABE3-36E3BE8F879C.jpeg

0959AE0D-B6C3-4A9B-8680-00533E8821DF.jpeg

You did'nt say what they are.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malc said:

You did'nt say what they are.

That’s the five iron pictured. 
 

Here is what they look like in the bag. 

F39D4E78-CD39-43A6-A53A-D063812A50DC.jpeg

  • Like 1

Taylormade m6 8.0  t1100 85 6.5
Taylormade m5 15   T1100 95 6.5
Pxg gen 2 x 3 iron 
Miura MC 501 raw 4-w Nippon spb x
Miura 51 55 59 wedges s400 
Slighter custom Tacoma

Link to post
Share on other sites

the new wishon eq1  single length are 2mm thru the bag

  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 rogue 130 70x

udi 2 iron 130x
4-gw Wishon eq1-nx single length
Sim ti 3 & 5 woods ram 7 wood x
Cleveland cbx2 wedges x100
Japanese stripe spider
Taylormade tp5x

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ReidThompson said:

Had them for a few months!  Good but not great for me. 

 

Just curious what didn't you like?  I'm looking at the TS-1s or just going back to traditional blades with with the Wishon 575s..

  • Like 1

PING G30 10.5* Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60
PING G30 3W TFC-189F
Adams Idea A12 17* 2Hybrid Phenom 100g

Taylormade RocketBladez Tour 3-PW Elevate Tour

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58*
PING Vault Bergen

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, achappy said:

 

Just curious what didn't you like?  I'm looking at the TS-1s or just going back to traditional blades with with the Wishon 575s..

TS1 are def not blades.  They are hollow body and fun to hit.  I just had the wrong shaft in them.  And reshafting isnt an easy process cost wise.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, achappy said:

 

Just curious what didn't you like?  I'm looking at the TS-1s or just going back to traditional blades with with the Wishon 575s..

Not that you said they were, just different irons for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, ReidThompson said:

This group is the absolute best and alerted me to an awesome driver fit.  

 

Question : Any hot irons that don't have a ton of offset?  I have 919 Hot Metal and would love them if they didn't have any offset.  Like the jump, hate the lefts.  Thanks!!!  Have always been a Mizuno lifer, but open to options. 

 

Reid 

 

Just curious, isn't offset more about adding height to shots rather than right vs. left?

 

I don't reallt understand it but something about center of gravity position relative to the ball.

 

Totally realize it's a huge visual preference thing as well!

  • Like 1

[size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace][b][u][i]2019 WITB[/i][/u][/b]

D: TM 2016 M2 10.5' Diamana DF-50 S
3W: TM 2016 M2 15' AD-DI 6s
3i: Ping G5 stock
4i-G: Miura PP-9003 KBS Tour 90
56/60: Miura Bullet Grind / K Grind
Putt: Yamada Emperor II or Vintage Ping Anser[/font][/size]

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BabyFades said:

 

Just curious, isn't offset more about adding height to shots rather than right vs. left?

 

I don't reallt understand it but something about center of gravity position relative to the ball.

 

Totally realize it's a huge visual preference thing as well!

It may be.  But if it keeps going left it'll be one less thing in my head....

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, BabyFades said:

 

Just curious, isn't offset more about adding height to shots rather than right vs. left?

 

I don't reallt understand it but something about center of gravity position relative to the ball.

 

Totally realize it's a huge visual preference thing as well!

 

I don't see how that is possible. From a physics standpoint when the face of the club meets the ball the position of the shaft - whether forward or backward in relation to the ball - would only cause and rotational force around the center of gravity of the combined ball and club mass. I understand that the most important feature to create spin is to have the center of mass as low as possible in the club head.

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, chipa said:

 

I don't see how that is possible. From a physics standpoint when the face of the club meets the ball the position of the shaft - whether forward or backward in relation to the ball - would only cause and rotational force around the center of gravity of the combined ball and club mass. I understand that the most important feature to create spin is to have the center of mass as low as possible in the club head.

Iirc, Mr. Wishon was the first I read to indicate offset adds height to shots more than causing hooks.  Possibly the club head mass further away from shaft axis causes more shaft tip flexibility? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

Iirc, Mr. Wishon was the first I read to indicate offset adds height to shots more than causing hooks.  Possibly the club head mass further away from shaft axis causes more shaft tip flexibility? 

 

I'd like to see the physics explanation if possible. As far as adding height to shots I understand the factors are increasing face angle or imparting spin. The shaft leading the face would actually reduce the loft of the club for irons for a descending strike. The shaft flexing right before impact could impart spin as it rotates up in relation to the ball. I understand spin is also a consequence of the differential angle between the face and the linear direction(normal to the swing path arc) of the clubface at any point.

Edited by chipa

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chipa said:

 

I'd like to see the physics explanation if possible. As far as adding height to shots I understand the factors are increasing face angle or imparting spin. The shaft leading the face would actually reduce the loft of the club for irons for a descending strike. The shaft flexing right before impact could impart spin as it rotates up in relation to the ball. I understand spin is also a consequence of the differential angle between the face and the linear direction(normal to the swing path arc) of the clubface at any point.

Center of gravity further back increases loft

Callaway Mavrik 10.5*

Callaway Mavrik 4/7 woods

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-GW

Mizuno S20 54/58* wedges

Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ripken08 said:

Center of gravity further back increases loft

 

I said the center of gravity further back in the clubhead + ball mass would cause spin - because it would cause a rotation around that combined c.o.g. I don't see how the shaft connection will change the clubhead + ball impact dynamic on the plane that would cause spin.

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...