Well, alrighty then Jumbomax...

Hack Daddy

Thanks guys. Well, yeah, it’s trial and error for everyone, as grip preferences are very personal. 
I‘m curious about the more square and bigger JMX butt end, as I feel this could be exactly what I need, but don’t want more than Jumbo size down in my fingers. 

Thanks for pointing me towards the Ultralites, I’ll try these in a Small. 

• Like 1

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

Going to JumboMax Ultralite large on all my grips turned into an expensive exercise here. Nobody near me stocks them So I had to order them and then pay someone else to install them. Next problem was that my Ping Hoofer 14 couldn’t handle them so I had to buy a new bag (Sun Mountain 4.5 LS 14 club).

Played one round and I faded every single driver and had my best driving round in a long time. Interestingly it didn’t seem to have any effect on my overdraw that I’ve been battling in my irons even though it helped driver. It felt great pitching and chipping with these grips, it really prevents getting too handsy. I could have saved a lot of money by just regripping my driver and wedges!

• Like 1

I'll be jumping on board in a month or so. Been trialling different shafts in my irons and think im set for the year now but have always liked oversized grips. going to jump in the ultralites in small for my irons. I would like something a tiny bit smaller for my woods to help me turn them over but the weight different between the small and extra small is quite significant. I was hoping to find something a tiny bit smaller but similar weight. Otherwise i'll just put the smalls in across the board.

Also tempted by a medium grip in my lob wedge which i only use for partial shots but not sure yet...

1 hour ago, Hertsjoatmon said:

I'll be jumping on board in a month or so. Been trialling different shafts in my irons and think im set for the year now but have always liked oversized grips. going to jump in the ultralites in small for my irons. I would like something a tiny bit smaller for my woods to help me turn them over but the weight different between the small and extra small is quite significant. I was hoping to find something a tiny bit smaller but similar weight. Otherwise i'll just put the smalls in across the board.

Also tempted by a medium grip in my lob wedge which i only use for partial shots but not sure yet...

I don’t think the 6 gram weight difference feels “significant”

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

15 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

What size do you guys recommend? I’m wearing ML glove size (Footjoy) and currently use Tour Velvet Midsize Plus4 but would like to go a little bigger than that, obviously. 

if you want to go just a little bigger I would try the XS.  I usually play mcc +4 midsize and felt the XS was perfectly sized to what I wanted. I got mine for 5.99 plus they had a 30% off sale.  I like the mcc+4 jumbo too but I couldn't say no to the jumbomax price.  

It only hurts once, except golf it hurts a lifetime

To me the difference in weight doesn't make much difference.  I use the Tour small.  I got used to it pretty quickly.  I didn't modify any of my clubs.  That is what I would actually suggest for a new user of them.  I wouldn't get caught up in adding a ton of weight to the head to make up for the weight of the grip.  Your body will respond quickly.  A couple range sessions will do it.  Now whenever I hold a standard size gripped club, it feels very funny.

On a secondary note, what walking bags are good for these grips?  How many dividers are optimal in people's experience?  I have a Hoofer 14 and the club tangle is really something and gets to be irksome very rapidly.  There was club tangle with TV+4 as well, but not as bad.  It is just a shortcoming of that particular bag.  I like to walk in spring and fall.

5 hours ago, games said:

Does the design of the Ultralite and Tour allow use of tape to build up the lower hand on these?  Or, do you have to buy the STR8 Tech version to get the lower hand buildup?

Not much taper really for the lower hand, unless you choke right down. Less on the Ultralites than the Tours.

Whatever works.

I’m thinking of the tour series medium, but my concern is the 100+ gram weight. I currently have Pure Jumbos and they’re 80~ grams, so the increase will change the SW pretty considerably. My other option is the ultralight with some extra weight added to the butt end. Has anyone gone through this process and can share some insight? Thanks! 

2 hours ago, jadedennill said:

I’m thinking of the tour series medium, but my concern is the 100+ gram weight. I currently have Pure Jumbos and they’re 80~ grams, so the increase will change the SW pretty considerably. My other option is the ultralight with some extra weight added to the butt end. Has anyone gone through this process and can share some insight? Thanks! 

I went from Pure Jumbo to Jumbomax XL and did not have a problem with the weight difference. In fact it probably feels better.  Love the Jumbomax grip.  All the extra weight is in the hands and that felt better.

I am testing UltraLites from S to XL at the moment. Been blowing them onto and off of different clubs: Wedge, 5i, 2i, 3w, Driver.

shafts are KBS Tour 120s, Aldiss Tour Green 70x, Diamana S+ SE 70s.

When I used only one layer of masking tape beneath the grip, the grip would twist during strokes, especially on my 3w (Aldila tour green). 
so I added some layers and am now using 3 layers of masking tape and 1 layer of duck tape. It gets better but I can still twist the grips by hand (forcefully). So how do you build up beneath the grip so it fits snug.

2nd question: How do you grip the club? I tried both - gripping it in the palm and gripping it in the fingers (the „conventional way“). Palm (grip from life line at the wrist to first segment of index finger) definitely works best for me and with this grip the XL size seems to work best even though I‘m using Ladies L gloves :D.

6 hours ago, capking said:

Looked like Bryson switched back to the non ultralights. They looked all black this weekend, unless my eyes deceived me or they have an all black ultralight now.

He was definitely still using the Ultralights, saw them several times on his follow through.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag