2021 Callaway Apex MB, X Forged CB, X Forged UT irons (in-hand pics)

The average golfer has a review of the UT up, he plays the original xforged UT currently. 

Tsr2 Tensei 1k black 65g

tsr2 16.5 tensei av raw white 75g

tsi2 20 degree, tensei av raw white 90g

T200 utility build 4 iron, av raw white 100g

t100 5-50 px lz

sm9 56.12/60.08

odyssey Toulon Le Mans 
Pro V1

The X Forged Cavity back is a clunky patchwork look that wants to borrow from the TM P7MC which is a beautiful club. 

Now if they work better, okay but they better be superior although the offset looks to be too much more Game improvement like. Disappointing to me. 

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  STEALTH Plus 9.0 driver w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S. 3wd TM SIM (set @ 15.5*) with Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 7S. 5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made) (set @17.5*). HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2"., SIM-2 Max #3* with Ventus HB Velocore 8-S,  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9S,  Irons TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P770 5-8i, TM P7MC 9i & PW all w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TaylorMade Hi Toe 2 54/10 bent to 53/9* w/Project X 6.0, LW- TM Hi-Toe 60/10 Modified-grind bent to 58/7* w/SteelFiber i110- S, Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternates in the 5wd, Hybrids depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Oh what have we here?

20201017_153123.jpg.0e596e09d38ac07823b048ad76192bb9.jpg

Compared to my Apex MB. Not a ridiculous amount of offset? 

20201017_154246.jpg.137de79d7b396f8d37870ed548133f3b.jpg

20201017_154251.jpg.6758fd90773e95432bab6b9b390076bb.jpg

In terms of comparing the two. The XFCB is roughly 400 less rpm overall spin (Apex MB around 6200 and XFCB around 5800). Both launching at 18 degrees, both peaking at about 120 feet. Both descending around 50 degrees. Both had very similar ball speed. XFCB was about 5 yards longer in carry. Wasn't an extended test as I just stopped randomly at the shop hoping to see them. Will try to schedule a time to get more in depth.

Both clubs were +.5" and 2 degrees upright. My Apex MB had $ taper 130X and the XFCB had some sort of Elevate X Stiff shaft. Felt light. I have a feeling if I were using similar shafts, the XFCB would have felt a bit softer in the hands.

Honestly, it looks even better in person and I'm one that really liked the pics. The toe looks more squared off which is something I like. The Apex MB feels softer. But, that's not saying the XFCB feels bad in any way. It reminds me of the Apex Pro Dot. 

And I don't have a spoiler, I accidentally added it below and don't know how to get rid of it, lol.

Spoiler

Edited by radiman
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9* w/Diamana GT 60TX tipped 1"
(Probably) Taylormade Stealth2 Plus 15* w/Diamana GT 70X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/MCA Tensei Black 85TX
Ping i230 4-P w/DG120 X100
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

7 minutes ago, CallawayLefty said:

So are demos in carts yet?  Really wanting to go hit them. 

I was able to find one to try all the way up in Fargo, ND.

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Are these the same headshape as the previous x forged? 

Ping G430 LST 10.5 w/ Diamana Tensei AV Raw Blue 65 TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15 w/ Aldila Rogue White 130 msi 80 S

Hybrid - still searching

Irons - Srixon Zx7 MKII 4-PW w/ KBS $ Taper S

Callaway Jaws Raw 50.S,56.S, 60.Z 

Tour Issue Odyssey #7 w/ ProX insert 

Vessel Player III Navy Bag

I hit them today.  To me they are very similar to the old x forged in shape and feel.  I hit them on a mat which always sucks so really can’t say one way or another whether I liked them.  Definitely not blown away by any means.  Although I would guess grass would significantly improve things. 

• Like 1

Got to hit a few tonight. They didnt have shafts yet so i hit it with a DG Pro. I actually thought it felt pretty good. The offset isn’t as bad as the pics look either.

Callaway Rougue ST LS Triple Diamond Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Cobra Forged Tec One 21 4U

New Level 902 PD 5-A Project X Catalyst 6.5 SS2
New Level SPN Milled 52 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 57 DG GRIND
SC Phantom X 5.5 custom

Playing around with some options on the pre-order page and noticed that essentially every shaft in their catalog is available at no upcharge.

Must. Resist. Urge. Worst time to order new clubs is the week that my course closed for the season. Why do I keep finding myself so close to placing the order?

• Haha 1

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

10 minutes ago, radiman said:

Playing around with some options on the pre-order page and noticed that essentially every shaft in their catalog is available at no upcharge.

Must. Resist. Urge. Worst time to order new clubs is the week that my course closed for the season. Why do I keep finding myself so close to placing the order?

I just ordered a 6i X-Forged CB with DG TI x100 (no up-charge!) and want to compare with x-forged 18, Apex Pro Dot, double dot, and Taylormade P7MC of same shaft. I would pass it based on the looks alone but want to give it a chance to see if the performance is good. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, golfer55082 said:

I just ordered a 6i X-Forged CB with DG TI x100 (no up-charge!) and want to compare with x-forged 18, Apex Pro Dot, double dot, and Taylormade P7MC of same shaft. I would pass it based on the looks alone but want to give it a chance to see if the performance is good. 

Really interested to hear your thoughts once you get a chance to try it!

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I think project x ls is a no charge option too. Very interesting...

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST 9 💎💎💎 Ventus Black TR 6X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X

Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 2 Iron Ventus Black 10TX 

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex TCB 5-AW TI X100 :titelist-small: T100 4 Iron TI X100
Wedges: :vokey-small: 54.12 X100 and 60.08 Modus 125 Wedge 

Putter: Lajosi DD201 

:titelist-small: Pro V1

Wait, so MMT 105 tx is a no upcharge? That's my shaft and it's +$65 per club most other places. I could totally have a backup set of of blades....

TSR3 9* Hzrdus Blue 60 TX

TSR3 15* Ventus Blue TR 7x
Apex UW *21 Ventus Black 9x
PING G430 22* hybrid Tour 85x
PING i230 5-GW KBS Tour x

Glide 4.0 56, 60
Bettinardi BB 46

• Thanks 2

pending:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2 PLUS DRIVER, 9*, Ventus TR Black/Blue/Red Velocore 6X

pending:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2 PLUS FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS#3 FW 14.25*, Kaili White 70TX;  #5 FW 18*, Kaili White 80TX;  #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X Irons, Black Label Elite;   18* Accra '22 TZFive, 95HY M5 // 22*, Accra '22 TZFive, 105DI M5

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X (two duplicate sets)

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe TeI3 Custom Antique Copper

STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I picked these up at Golf Galaxy yesterday. The 4-9 look great but something with the PW seems off to me. It’s with the offset or transition in the hozel. Not terrible but just not quite right. Another issue I had is with the Project X IO. The shaft itself looks really cool but I noticed on several clubs I could the white X starting to show when I put the club down. I would look down the back and the shaft didn’t appear to be properly aligned. I guess it’s not an issue with the shaft but the build quality. 

On 10/13/2020 at 3:24 PM, cmatthews77 said:

Good looking clubs.  I have to repeat that I'm disappointed (AGAIN) that Callaway has chosen to release the Apex MB with the X Forged CB apart from the rest of their Apex line which limits combo opportunities.

If I were in the market for irons and preferred Callaway I'd have to wait until the remaining pieces of their lineup will come out to test.

As a massive MB fan I completely agree.  It makes absolutely no sense to release an Apex line update opposing the main line of irons.  I’d love to hear their rationale behind this...if any.  

On 10/26/2020 at 11:17 PM, halfsumo said:

Wait, so MMT 105 tx is a no upcharge? That's my shaft and it's +$65 per club most other places. I could totally have a backup set of of blades....

I had the same thought and I emailed Callaway to verify that they are using legit MMT shafts and not a made-for version and got a mixed answer.  One told me to call customer service, and then they said “more information is coming”.  So before making your order I’d verify this first.  I tried...

Edited by rodge

I’m really curious about these.  Currently bagging the apex pro double dots.  Anyone hit the double dots that can compare?  TIA!

Callaway  Rogue st 💎💎💎 9* RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Callaway   Rogue St LS 15*  Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 70 tipped 1”

Titleist   Tsi2 19* Hybrid   Hzrdus Smoke Black 90 6.0

Honma   Tr21X 4i   Vizard ib-wf 100x

Honma   Tr20P 5i, Tr20v 6-P  DG 120 Tour Issue s400

Cleveland  Zipcore   48* bent to 49*  DG 120 Tour Issue s400

Cleveland  Zipcore   56 custom grind, 60 Full Face  Modus 125 Wedge 

Toulon San Diego  KBS Matte Black, Superstroke GT pistol 2.0  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

• 2 weeks later...

Hit these tonight.  I was actually shocked.  I mean, the blades have the best feel of any thing I've ever hit.  And

I own 15 sets of blades.  They're definitely more like Mizuno soft then Titleist.  Just very dense feeling with a deep

thud.  I had my sets of Vega VM 02, Miura 1007 y grinds, MP 14's and the Callaway felt better in every way.  I've never been 

a Callaway guy.  I don't like the logo.  I wish they'd just have a "C" or something.  Not really a good reason to avoid a brand.

Having said that, I'm actually going to order a set of these

tomorrow.  Maybe the best feeling irons i've ever hit and I'm not one who says things like

that very often either.

Edited by isaacbm
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, isaacbm said:

Hit these tonight.  I was actually shocked.  I mean, the blades have the best feel of any thing I've ever hit.  And

I own 15 sets of blades.  They're definitely more like Mizuno soft then Titleist.  Just very dense feeling with a deep

thud.  I had my sets of Vega VM 02, Miura 1007 y grinds, MP 14's and the Callaway felt better in every way.  I've never been 

a Callaway guy.  I don't like the logo.  I wish they'd just have a "C" or something.  Not really a good reason to avoid a brand.

Having said that, I'm actually going to order a set of these

tomorrow.  Maybe the best feeling irons i've ever hit and I'm not one who says things like

that very often either.

I'm super glad to hear this because my set is being built right now!!! Clearly you know your blades, so speaking so highly of these is really encouraging. Did you think they were more on the forgiving side for a blade like the Mizuno's MP-20's verses something like the Miura Baby Blades? Was the blade length very long? Please elaborate more if you can.