An ode to strong lofts.

NoTalentLefty

I dont question that your clubs are performing well for you. Sounds like you are very happy with your purchase and your game, and that is a very good thing. But I'm not sure what about your experience is unique to the Mavrik or to GI irons. Your lofts are spaced very similar to mine, just numbered differently. 4 degree gapping is very common. 5 is quite common in short irons. Loft for loft, on a good swing, you'd hit my irons very similarly. 

MAVRIK   Z785  
#7 27° #6 28
#8 31.5° #7 32
#9 36° #8 36
PW 41° #9 41
AW 46° PW 46
Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 2

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Me personally I prefer more conservative lofts found in today's player's CB and blades and  in irons from the 90s and 2000s.  

To each their own..

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 4

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

4 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Me personally I prefer more conservative lofts found in today's player's CB and blades and  in irons from the 90s and 2000s.  

To each their own..

I agree. I like my 7 iron to be 35° and my pw to be 47°. Titleist has it right.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

21 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

True.  If you want to go really traditional try having a set with Tiger's preferred lofts where the 3 iron is 22.5d that is 37" long , and the PW 49d that is 36".

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

8 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

I dont question that your clubs are performing well for you. Sounds like you are very happy with your purchase and your game, and that is a very good thing. But I'm not sure what about your experience is unique to the Mavrik or to GI irons. Your lofts are spaced very similar to mine, just numbered differently. 4 degree gapping is very common. 5 is quite common in short irons. Loft for loft, on a good swing, you'd hit my irons very similarly. 

MAVRIK   Z785  
#7 27° #6 28
#8 31.5° #7 32
#9 36° #8 36
PW 41° #9 41
AW 46° PW 46

That 7i is almost as strong as my 25.5° 4i.

• Haha 1

I too are not a fan of the jacked lofts.  It's OK when the lower loft also keeps a higher spin but typically, that's not the case.  Case in point.  Was playing the G410's which have the jacked lofts but hitting 7 irons 180 yards and rolling off the green is not good.  Went to the i210's which have a more standard loft and now my ball releases 3 feet from it's landing spot.  Same ball height, same trajectory so which would you prefer?  Sure my regular playing partners are all hitting their 7 irons while I hit my 6 iron, but their balls are off the back of the green while mine is in tight.

I don't think I could go back to jacked lofts now unless they can also keep the spin up as well.  It really was an eye opener for me.  

Edited by jbandalo

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

I’m not sure anymore what is wrong and what is right in this discussion. 
Stronger lofts might benefit players with slower swings, but a 43*-45* PW does open a gap to your 54*/56* wedge. So one less club at the top (4i might replace a hybrid or wood), but one more wedge.

What this does is, you now have to hit an iron where you might have used an easier to hit hybrid or wood before. 
Are people just going 5-PW or even 6-PW because of this?

I‘ll buy new irons and most likely will have them bent weak a degree. Standard PW is 45* but I want 46* at the least. Current PW is 47*. 
Do those 5* gaps I see in stronger lofted iron sets work for everyone? Has anyone dialed those gaps in and had them changed after buying?

I don’t see a real benefit, to be honest. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

3 hours ago, jbandalo said:

I too are not a fan of the jacked lofts.  It's OK when the lower loft also keeps a higher spin but typically, that's not the case.  Case in point.  Was playing the G410's which have the jacked lofts but hitting 7 irons 180 yards and rolling off the green is not good.  Went to the i210's which have a more standard loft and now my ball releases 3 feet from it's landing spot.  Same ball height, same trajectory so which would you prefer?  Sure my regular playing partners are all hitting their 7 irons while I het my 6 iron, but their balls are off the back of the green while mine is in tight.

I don't think I could go back to jacked lofts now unless they can also keep the spin up as well.  It really was an eye opener for me.  

I don’t know, my G400 irons stick the greens, just fine. 

• Like 1

Come on guys, let’s be happy for the man. He found a set of clubs that works well for him and re-establishes proper gapping through the bag! That’s hugely important to playing good golf.

I personally prefer playing traditional lofts myself (50* PW), but that’s because it fits my swing and my game right now. Stronger lofted distance irons are an option that works well for some players and helps them play their best. It’s just another option available for everyone to find their best fit, no one is going to come force you to play them if they don’t work for you personally. You might fit better into a Ventus Black 7x, but that doesn’t that a Ventus Red 5r is a poor product; same with distance irons.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

20 hours ago, jbandalo said:

I too are not a fan of the jacked lofts.  It's OK when the lower loft also keeps a higher spin but typically, that's not the case.  Case in point.  Was playing the G410's which have the jacked lofts but hitting 7 irons 180 yards and rolling off the green is not good.  Went to the i210's which have a more standard loft and now my ball releases 3 feet from it's landing spot.  Same ball height, same trajectory so which would you prefer?  Sure my regular playing partners are all hitting their 7 irons while I het my 6 iron, but their balls are off the back of the green while mine is in tight.

My T200s stop just fine.  Think it's about getting a good fitting and making sure the spin numbers and decent angles are reasonable before purchase.  Whatever works best for each person is what matters.  

Edited by larryd3
  • Like 2

Ping G400 max
Ping G410 5 wood
Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

Titleist T350 irons
54* & 58* Sub70 JB Wedges
PXG Operator H w/ BGT stability tour shaft or  SIK FLO C with LAGP shaft

1 hour ago, larryd3 said:

My T200s stop just fine.  Think it's about getting a good fitting and making sure the spin numbers and decent angles are reasonable before purchase.  Whatever works best for each person is what matters.  

I agree that a good fit may help but not in my case.  At my fitting the 7 iron spun 6000 rpm's and for some fitters, that's close enough and nothing could get that spin higher until I went into the i210's.  Same shaft in both as well.  Sometimes, more loft is better and just goes to show how important to get real world results.  Unfortunately in Canada, you can't get fit, take the clubs out for a couple of rounds to make sure they work regardless of what the indoor fitting "shows" and return them if they don't work.  Real world and on course is where it happens.

• Like 2

DRIVER - PING G430 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 5W

HYBRIDS - PING G430 3H

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

20 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

I mean, when your hybrids start at 6...just sayin'.

I got that idea from a Champion tour player , named Dana Quigley .

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0611

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

My post was done in a tongue-in-cheek . My real point was gapping your irons. If you can get gaps in traditional blades do so , if players distance cavity backs get you that go for it, if stronger lofts get you there that fine as well. I have no problem stopping these clubs on greens , I even get a spin back on most of the irons, and when the greens are rock hard can still get the ball to stop within 5 foot. 
 Never apologize for so called cheater lofts. Or dissuade others from trying them. It may be what THEY need.

• Like 3

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

Not everybody swings a 90mph 7iron.

Most of us can use the extra strength in the lofts in the shorter club length.

Same reason all shafts aren't X.

Strong lofts have made the game easier for seniors, juniors, and desk jockeys - and anyone else who can admit to needing a little more distance and offset (the horror).

We don't blink with face designs that redeem mishits on dispersion bc we can all admit to not being perfectly accurate.

But suggest that more distance helps, and it's anathema.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

Folks, some of you are missing the point of the mgs author I posted.

A ball will stop based on decent angle and spin, not JUST spin.  Newer iron designs tend to make the ball go higher because lower lofts tend to create higher ball speeds, and cg tweaks make the launch angle rise. But even if the launch angle is similar, the lower loft still goes higher because the ball left the club with a higher speed from the lower loft.  This is a new generation of irons, they are launching into a different "window" than we are used to as golfers. We used to think ideal 7 irons had 7000rpm of spin. We now understand a ball falling at 50* with 4500 rpm will stop just as fast.  Thank you launch monitors.

It's not wrong because it's different and It won't necessarily work for everyone, so you need to try the newer designs. But for those it does work for, its great, because it results in significant carry distances WITH just as much stopping power because of the decent angles. 

It's defintily time to move on past looking at the static loft spec sheets. We have to Look at ball fight.

Nice post. There are so many factors that go into some of the better GI irons these days, if someone just looks at one number then they are missing the big picture.

Enough already with the loft jacking. I'm just looking forward to the day I can buy a set with a 21° Pitching Wedge and 7 Gap Wedges until I get to the 54-56° sand wedge.  

• Haha 2

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I really don't understand why people get so jacked up (sorry) over the number on the bottom of a iron. IT'S JUST A NUMBER!

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

16 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

I really don't understand why people get so jacked up (sorry) over the number on the bottom of a iron. IT'S JUST A NUMBER!

And a cheaper way to upgrade is just use a sharpie and write 8 over the 7. 🙂

• Like 1

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

On 10/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, lefty1978 said:

Why? Because it fits your game. In the 90s that PW would be considered jacked up. Mine was a 50 degree PW during that time period. And probably was above that in the 50 thru 70s period. As a matter of fact my friend bought a set with a 47 degree loft in the 90s and he was accused of playing jacked up lofts. The 90s was the first time I saw a 45 and 46 degree offerings in wedges . There was no such thing as a gap wedge. And I believe the 60 degree wedge was introduced around this time as well. 
  The game evolves. No one has it right or wrong, it’s all in our minds. The number on the clubs means nothing. 

• Like 1

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

14 minutes ago, NoTalentLefty said:

The number on the clubs means nothing. 

That's exactly it.  Loft determines distance.  Doesn't matter if your 36* iron has a 6, 7, or 8 on the sole, its still going to hit like a 36* iron for each player.

It *is* interesting how few players who say the number doesn't matter actually use something considered weaker, though.  LOL 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

13 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

That's exactly it.  Loft determines distance.  Doesn't matter if your 36* iron has a 6, 7, or 8 on the sole, its still going to hit like a 36* iron for each player.

It *is* interesting how few players who say the number doesn't matter actually use something considered weaker, though.  LOL 

I would also include the loft of the 7 iron at 27 degree has the height of the old seven iron even higher not the height of a 5 iron of old. Thanks to a lover CG in irons.

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
               6-7 Big Bertha 

30 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

No, launch (ball speed, launch angle, backspin, side spin) determines distance and stopping power. Loft is a variable that helps affect launch.

Edited by clinkinfo
  • Like 1