Doweling your irons...who's done it? (home build project)

So I am jacking around with a set of older but VGC GS Pro Forged blades in 6-PW and a SCOR 55 and 60* head.

I have some Nippon NS Pro 1150GH stiff flex shafts.  I plan on building them as follows:

6-7 [email protected] 37.5" long

8-PW [email protected]" long

55 and 60 @36.5"long\

I am thinking 2* upright for lie angle should be good, but maybe 3, will see how they work when assembled. OH, and I got some snappy ferrules from Boyd Blade and Ferrule.  If you've not looked at their site...oh man, you're missing some cool stuff.

So as I was reading up trying to find some information on my other project...I read about inserting a wooden dowel in the tip of the shaft to make it 'sound' more solid, as well as dampen vibration.  I was intrigued, and went to my ACE Hardware and bought some 3/8" (these are .370 tip shafts) fluted hardwood dowels.  I drilled holes down the middle to allow air to pass through on installation.  I plan on assembling the clubs then coating the dowels with epoxy and tamping them down into the tip prior to installing grips.

I don't have a swing weight scale, but I can pretty much weigh everything and figure it out with charts and what not.  As every club is going to be long, I am a bit concerned that I am building a sledge hammer, but if worse come to worse, I will use some sort of counterweight in the butt end or something...I don't mind heavy, I just want balanced.

Have any of y'all used dowels or had them installed in your irons, or hit irons with dowels? Curious to see what y'all think.  I know Joe Kwok used to do this to irons in his 'blueprint' process.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used dowels in my VR Pro build early this year. I'm not sure if they make much difference? I also use Prosoft inserts, which I also used before the rebuild.   Flush shots felt solid b

I machined my dowels from hickory stock and installed them on a recent build. They added about 2 grams and bumped SW a point.   My 681's have them from the factory. So do my Titleist T's.

When I saw this subject, I was going to tag you in the thread, but I see you beat me to it.   🙂   

Some things you will want to consider.  The swing weight of the 8 iron is going to be approximately 7 swing weight points lighter than the PW if you make them the same length.  You could add a 10 gram tip weight to bring the 8 closer, but then the dowel becomes more difficult.  Personally, I never thought the doweling did much.  I think that putting, the name escapes me, it is something like backer rod, up in the shaft makes more sense.  Lastly, I am not an expert on Nippon at all, but the few sets I assembled were for specific irons and not tip trimmed, even if they are .370 tips.

Good luck with the experiment.

I used dowels in my VR Pro build early this year.

I'm not sure if they make much difference? I also use Prosoft inserts, which I also used before the rebuild.

Flush shots felt solid before, and they feel solid with dowels. Mishits still feel like mishits.

I actually played those irons for 10 years before switching to VR Pros, and found the VR Pro's to be much more forgiving. Still have a Pro Forged 2 iron head laying around. I gave the full set to my nephew, in near mint condition.

• Like 1

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

Cost was like $3... so give it a go next time.I cut 1 and a quarter inch pieces,3 years ago on some Mizunos.1 to 2 grams each.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

It’s a fun project. I installed some years ago in a set of Titleist 690s that I had rechromed. I wanted to replicate the original feel. It was an easy enough process. That said, I ended up reshafting them and didn’t use the dowels. Not sure I could tell any difference between “dowelled” and “un-dowelled.”  Don’t expect anything earth shattering. 

It's a fairly subtle difference for sure, one of those incremental adjustments that you add to an equation to change feel as opposed to a single really noticeable change. 

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

12 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I machined my dowels from hickory stock and installed them on a recent build. They added about 2 grams and bumped SW a point.

My 681's have them from the factory. So do my Titleist T's.

I like the dampening and denser feel, it's not earth shattering but what the heck.

When I saw this subject, I was going to tag you in the thread, but I see you beat me to it.   🙂 

• Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5