2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Switch from Driver-3W to Driver 5W

Flyers99

Thinking that my current 3W is somewhat useless. I hit my driver more consistent and I find when I need less distance or a whole is tight I usually just choke down on my driver. Off the turf is inconsistent and I am a shorter hitter so rarely am getting looks at par 5’s in 2. I have hit 5W many years ago and wonder if I should go back. I hit them well in the past and decent off the turf.  My 3W is older and 15* so I would think a modern 17.5/18* 5W would not lose much distance. Any thoughts or experiences?

• Like 2

You could also try a HL 3 wood at 16/17º. Knowing the ball will get in the air really frees up your swing.

• Like 1

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5, Odyssey WH Pro 7, Cleveland HB Soft 11.

Royal M Taper 360's

Recently made the switch from Driver-15* 3W to Driver -18* 5W. Added confidence in just seeing the loft makes a world of difference to me at least. Great off the tee and off the deck, and I didn’t lose much (if any) distance thanks to more consistent swings and I’m sure a bit of swing changes as the months have gone on. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6S

Fairway: Titleist TSR2 18* | Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X

Fairway: Titleist TSi2 21* | Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7X

Irons: Mizuno Pro 223 4-P | Project X 6.0

Gap Wedge: Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* | Project X 6.5

Sand Wedge: Titleist SM9 54* | Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+ | LAGP P-Series 135 | Superstroke Pistol GT Tour

Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X

Modern 3-woods have heads too large and shafts too long to be  suitable for anything but tee boxes and perfect level fairway lies. For that reason 5-woods are the "new 3-woods".

• Thanks 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

G400 five wood or Cally 2016 GBB 5w, both easy peasy and loft adjustable

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

For many years I gamed a 4w (1995-2008).  Honestly best of both worlds.  Easy off the fairway, good distance off the tee.  A modern 5W with an adjustable hosel would be similar.  Solid strategy IMO.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X  /or/  Titleist TSR2 7W 21*, Tensei Black 75X

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Definitely the way to go, I had the 5wood in the bag but for some reason decided I needed to put the 3w back, it's been terrible... So I've gone back to the 5w and all is well in the world.

OG RBZ tour 5w for reference, still goes miles and is so easy off the deck. 

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

Do it.  A 5W will be easier to hit on a better trajectory for the average joe, which means you may get nearly as much distance out of it than you would with a 3W.  Plus it'll be a little easier off the deck and in the end, a well struck 5W will probably get you closer to the green than a poorly struck 3W.

Edited by ThreeBoxers

I'm still carrying driver/3/5 which probably makes me a dinosaur but it works for me. I like having all the options at the top of my bag. 

My Rogue Draw driver is my tee club barring anything unusual (short fairway, tight dogleg, etc).

My Epic Flash three wood is adjusted for higher loft and it is a cannon off a short tee. I am learning to hit it from the ground as well, but that is always going to be lie-dependent. I like to see the ball sitting up and just imagine it's on that short tee and it works pretty well. If the lie it dodgy I'll choose the five wood instead. 

My five wood is an older non-adjustable Callaway Fusion with a Recoil F3 shaft. It's a great club for me from the fairway. I also use it on long par threes (195-210) and feel comfortable choking down or making less-than-full swings with it. It's definitely a comfortable club for me. 

The trade off is playing one less wedge than most people do, but I find that my PW/52/58 setup gives me all the options I need and prevents some analysis paralysis that can come with trying to choose between three wedges that could be used for the same shot. I used to use 52/56/60 and found myself doubting my club selection a lot which can be deadly in the short game. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I benched my M5 3-wood simply because I almost never used it - off the tee I hit slightly more fairways with my driver than my spoon, so hitting spoon just was giving up distance and accuracy. Now I use my 5-wood or driving iron if I have to lay up short off hazards. The only situation where I miss my spoon is on 2nd shots on par-5s into wind where a penetrating ball flight is needed - but it is not that often that happens so 3-wood is no longer in play, just driver then 5-wood (18*).

I did this myself. Cracked my ping 3 wood and sent it to ping. It took them about 7 weeks to return and in that time I picked up a low spin 5 wood ( epic flash subzero 5 wood) and i'll never look back. 5 wood is so much easier to launch off the deck at 18 degrees and more versatile as I can hit hard to get more distance but also hit it easy and due to the loft still get good launch.

I get enough height to land on greens and hold them off the deck and can get the ball out of the rough with no issue. Honestly I am only giving up about 15-20 yards off the tee max but to hit more fairways is HUGE

My 3 wood flew far when hit well, but the low loft made it hard to control sometimes and hit a lot of hot low hooks especially off the deck. Never had that issue with my 5 wood and its really become a confidence club off the tee for me or on long approaches. I feel extremely confident going for par 5s now and almost expect to get home in 2.

I used to chuckle when most pros said amatuer golfers should consider using a 5 wood instead of a 3 wood, but now I am eating those words.

Will never own a 3 wood again. 

Edited by Flip4000

A lot of good info here guys thanks. I am leaning towards the 18 degree 5 wood. I think I will be more confident with it and use it more.   Realistically the distance difference between 15 and 18 will only be a few yards probably but consistency should improve which kinda negates the distance. 

Dumped the 3 wood years ago and have never looked back.  Hit driver straighter and carry my 4/5 wood further than a 3.  I currently game a 19 sim ti turned to 17 and love that it is fade biased as well.  Previously was an 18 degree XR pro.  That thing is a beast as well and you can get them for cheap.  

Oh, and I hate a ton of headcovers in the bag, so this helps that as well...room for more wedges...

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

I think it’s a great idea. I got driver (9.5*) then 5W but adjusted to (16.5*) so essentially a 4W. I get the shorter shaft for more control and the less loft helps with distance. Hitting it as far as my 3W was but more consistent 

definitely give it a go! 

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

I think you've correctly identified the two issues. 

1) What is the longest and strongest lofted club you can hit well off the fairway?

2) Do you need a slightly shorter than driver club, optimized for distance off the tee?

For a lot of us, myself included, this gets pretty simple. I answer #1 first and the answer is something around 18 or 19 degrees of loft no more than 42" or at most 42-1/2" long. That's pretty much a 5-wood nowadays. And my answer to #2 is no.

There are two guys I frequently play with who are much better golfers (around 5hcp) than I am and who rely a lot on the option of 3-wood off the tee. In both cases it's because they feel they hit their driver crooked and play 3-wood for "safety". It's funny reading this thread right now because both of them, on separate occasions, have recently told me they are reconsidering that strategy because they don't actually hit the fairway every time with the 3-wood.

As one of them said the other day, "It's like I'm giving up 20 yards for no reason". And this guy, the one who said that, also carries a 5-wood which he is absolutely dead consistent with. He can hit a GIR with that 5-wood from 200 yards more often than I hit the GIR with a 6-iron. I try not to give "advice" to better players but I was tempted to suggest he do just what you're proposing. Drop the 3-wood and just carry Driver and 5-wood. 

Inspired by this discussion, I put my trusty Mizzy JPX 850 5W in the bag again and set it back to the stock 18* setting. Had it at 16 or 17* lately and it got a little unpredictable. 

I forgot how easy this thing is to hit. Automatic off the tee and confidence-inspiring off fairway lies.

So now I’m going Driver - 2Hy (16*) - 5W (18*) - 3Hy 19* and it works astonishingly well. If I feel the need to add a wedge, I guess the 3Hy is the first healthy scratch candidate. 

Thanks for the inspiration!

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

I found an old Tour Edge Exotics Combo Brazing 18* 5W at a small golf shop recently for $30.  I installed a Nunchuk shaft in it, and I'm really liking it.  It's easy to elevate and pretty long off the tee.  It seems to go the distance that I'm looking for off the deck.  I'm still going to mess around with my 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid for the same spot.  I like the shorter shaft in it, and I can get it to elevate pretty easily, but I'm not a fan of the stock shaft in it.  The XTD Sole is a little more consistent for me off the deck than the Tour Edge, but I still like the combo that I get with the Nunchuk in there.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 10/14/2020 at 3:22 PM, Flyers99 said:

Thinking that my current 3W is somewhat useless. I hit my driver more consistent and I find when I need less distance or a whole is tight I usually just choke down on my driver. Off the turf is inconsistent and I am a shorter hitter so rarely am getting looks at par 5’s in 2. I have hit 5W many years ago and wonder if I should go back. I hit them well in the past and decent off the turf.  My 3W is older and 15* so I would think a modern 17.5/18* 5W would not lose much distance. Any thoughts or experiences?

Switched to a 17* hybrid for 2 reasons. 

1. I do not see a benefit of the 3 wood off the tee. Its just as erratic as the driver. If I need to find a fairway I have more confidence in a choked up smooth swing with a 460cc driver. If I need to hit short of trouble, the 17* hybrid does just fine for distance and has more control with a shaft thats 2 inches shorter. On Arizona fairways with rollout, hardly any distance lost at all.

2. I have no business hitting a 3 wood off the deck. Shots go left, right, high, low. Occasional topper that rolls 50 yards at best. The 17* hybrid is much longer on average. Contact is consistent. Misses are manageable. Great club for hitting into into greens, or simply advancing the ball. 

I'm playing a Adams Super XTD that I plan to be buried with. But right now the Callaway Super Hybrid is a great wood replacement. Srixon H85 in a 16* degree is a beast as well and is probably really cheap right now. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

48 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Switched to a 17* hybrid for 2 reasons. 

1. I do not see a benefit of the 3 wood off the tee. Its just as erratic as the driver. If I need to find a fairway I have more confidence in a choked up smooth swing with a 460cc driver. If I need to hit short of trouble, the 17* hybrid does just fine for distance and has more control with a shaft thats 2 inches shorter. On Arizona fairways with rollout, hardly any distance lost at all.

2. I have no business hitting a 3 wood off the deck. Shots go left, right, high, low. Occasional topper that rolls 50 yards at best. The 17* hybrid is much longer on average. Contact is consistent. Misses are manageable. Great club for hitting into into greens, or simply advancing the ball. 

I'm playing a Adams Super XTD that I plan to be buried with. But right now the Callaway Super Hybrid is a great wood replacement. Srixon H85 in a 16* degree is a beast as well and is probably really cheap right now. 

I also have a 17* Super XTD to go along with my 15* and the 19*.  I just pulled the Rogue Black 80g from my 19* because I wanted to put my old VTS 100g back in my 19*. 

I'm thinking of tossing the Rogue in the 15* or 17* just to see how it goes.  I liked it in the 19*, but prefer the heavier shaft just because of the ball flight and consistency I get from it.  I'm not a fan of the Fubuki AX that's in the 15*.  I found that one for a steal for $20 recently, so it was worth it just for the head knowing I could reshaft it later.   

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Off the turf, I get pretty much the same distance with my 5W that I do with my 3W. It's reserved really just for teeing off on mid-length par 4s as off the tee as I can get about 20 yards more out of it from there. But pretty much never hit it off the deck. 

I could probably replace it with another wedge and not even miss it 99% of the time. 5W though is probably my favorite club in the bag. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

I’m making this switch right now. Rarely use it from the fairway would rather use an iron off the tee if I need a fairway finder. Have a G410 5 wood on the way so the top of my bag will be Driver, 5 wood, 3 iron

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs