Switch from Driver-3W to Driver 5W

Flyers99

On the courses I play I rarely have a need for my 5W, let alone a 3W. 

5W typically rolls out to 230m and I never hit it off the tee, so it only comes ever out for long par 5 approach shots.

I've had an M3 in the bag for a few years and it's going nowhere. Love hitting it. Great flight and can shape it beautuflly both ways with ease. 

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

I carry 3-5-7 woods.I guess I am old school. Getting older and need the 3 wood distance.3 wood goes 225 and find out when I hit down with it I have no trouble. Rather than sweep i it hit down on the ball. Works for me. Try it. Might take a bucket of balls to get used to it. Don’t give up on that 3 wood. I play some old fairway woods. Taylor burner 2007 woods. Tried all the new stuff but these for me are golden.

Edited by pup142

I have played a four wood for many years having found that I always used to go to the five wood rather than three wood if I wanted a safety shot off the tee.  I figured there was no point in carrying a club I didn’t use.

Recently I did a Cobra fitting and they gave me a five wood with the three wood shaft and I got great results with the combination of loft and shaft length.  Might be worth the OP trying some options that allow an adjustable shaft so he could get the pro shop to set up something similar to try.

i cannot imagine owning a “traditional” 3 wood again.  I will always stick with the 4 wood or 4 wood.

Titleist TSi1 10 degree driver 

TM Stealth 4 and 7 woods
M6 hybrid
PXG 0211 irons (5 to G)
Vokey 54 D grind 58 D grind
Scotty Newport 2.5 Special Select

TM Tour Response balls

H2NO stand bag

Pulled the trigger on the M6 5W at 18 degrees. Is being shafted so will try it out this weekend. I am getting it at a 4 wood playing length (basically 1/2 longer/shorter) than stock 5W/3W. Looking forward to testing it out. Up here in the Northeast the golf season is winding down so hoping to give it a few runs before the winter. 

I feel like I repeat this whenever this subject comes up.  With apologies for that repetition...

In Ye Olde Days, most carried a 3w on top of their driver.  That 3w was 17*, before being bumped to 16* in the late 80s (or thereabouts).  A 14* club was a 2w, and few people carried one.  Even pros tended not to use them.

Golfers now moving to the driver/4w or even 5w in the modern bag configuration are merely returning to the loft setup that long worked, only with slightly different names.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I’ve moved to driver 2 hybrid 4 hybrid. I can get 260/270 off tee with 2 hybrid down to 16 degrees and can get 240 with my 4 hybrid lofted to 20. Works for me and I feel confident from more lies than with a fairway wood

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

On 10/16/2020 at 7:02 AM, North Butte said:

I think you've correctly identified the two issues. 

1) What is the longest and strongest lofted club you can hit well off the fairway?

2) Do you need a slightly shorter than driver club, optimized for distance off the tee?

For a lot of us, myself included, this gets pretty simple. I answer #1 first and the answer is something around 18 or 19 degrees of loft no more than 42" or at most 42-1/2" long. That's pretty much a 5-wood nowadays. And my answer to #2 is no.

There are two guys I frequently play with who are much better golfers (around 5hcp) than I am and who rely a lot on the option of 3-wood off the tee. In both cases it's because they feel they hit their driver crooked and play 3-wood for "safety". It's funny reading this thread right now because both of them, on separate occasions, have recently told me they are reconsidering that strategy because they don't actually hit the fairway every time with the 3-wood.

As one of them said the other day, "It's like I'm giving up 20 yards for no reason". And this guy, the one who said that, also carries a 5-wood which he is absolutely dead consistent with. He can hit a GIR with that 5-wood from 200 yards more often than I hit the GIR with a 6-iron. I try not to give "advice" to better players but I was tempted to suggest he do just what you're proposing. Drop the 3-wood and just carry Driver and 5-wood. 

For a longer player, sometimes 3w off the tee is safer on doglegs with OB so you don't risk a stroke pushing/pulling it into the deep stuff or trees. There's a couple local courses here where hitting it 290-300 and not curving it properly will have you off the hole, whereas cutting the leg with 3w leaves you only a slightly longer wedge and eliminates the chance of a lost ball.

Edit: for reference, 3w loft has always been 15° for me, not one of those strong 13.5° ones.

Edited by Bubbtubbs

At 72 and with my aches and pains I can't reach most five pars in two with a three wood anyway.  I switched to a 18* Sim Max five wood (almost as long as my previous  Epic three wood) and am much more consistent with it which breeds confidence that I can swing away.  As an old friend who won our State Am five times, All American at NC and someone who had played in three US Opens told me a long time ago "count how many birdies you've made with your wedge vs your three wood". I've lived by that now for years and its born out to me at least to be true. YNNV. 

• Like 1

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

I am considering increasing loft to 17-18 degrees as well. I had good results going to an M2 Tour HL 16 degree a couple years ago and now with the hotter fairways ( SIM in particular) I think its an even easier decision to go for 17-18 degree 4 or 5 woods. They have the same distance, higher ball flight and better descent angles. I've also really struggled with the increased length of stock 3 woods and the resulting dispersion.     

Good idea OP! Myself I have a good experience going driver, 3 wood @ 16°, 5 wood @ 19° and 4 hybrid @ 22° before going into irons. Feels very versatile and safe. For the windy days I switch out the 18 and 22 for irons.

Edited by asKaasa

Driver: Titleist TSr2 8.25

Wood: Titleist TSr2 15

Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 4hy 20

Irons: Titleist T200 UT 4, T150 5, Artisan LS720MB 6-9

Wedges: Artisan LS720 MB 47, 51S, 55SB, 59DS

Putter: Titleist Tei3 Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Bag: Jones Trouper R

Yeah 5 wood is very useful. I find that clubs that can hit high are so versatile because I can learn to also hit them low.  As a relatively long player on mostly short courses, my 5W is mainly a tee club but great off turf when I need.  I only brought back a strong 3W recently really as a 2nd driver that I can shape a draw more easily than driver or hit low bullets.  Could've gone mini driver route for that but I like the smaller size and ability to hit off the turf if needed.  5W off the turf is usually better anyway.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 10/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, ChitownM2 said:

Also thinking of making this switch but took the intermediate step of trying out an adjustable 3w and setting it to 17. 

Depends, you are really just adjusting face angle, so a lofted up 3w is going to play closed while a lofted down 5 wood will play open.  Both fun options to experiment with. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

1 hour ago, dlygrisse said:

Depends, you are really just adjusting face angle, so a lofted up 3w is going to play closed while a lofted down 5 wood will play open.  Both fun options to experiment with. 

Yeah I fight a slice so closing the face was a win-win. If I decide to go with a 5w I would probably go with a SFT from ping or something else with a closed face.