Are PING G425 Irons the return of the i5?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They ain't gonna be i5 sized...

The i15s were one of my favorite Ping irons...I tried the g30s and was very disappointed...they lasted about 2 months in my bag. Hope the new g425 are a better option, I would love to go back to Ping

If the G425 is a little more compact than the 410 with a bit less offset and a little better feel, it will be a huge seller. A strong second option for those who like the i210 and that series but want

Posted Images

1 hour ago, hd.softail said:

Have seen some initial reviews and comments on the G425 saying that blade length of the G425 is shorter and smaller than the G410. Seems to me these could be getting close to the classic i5 head shape/size.

Can't wait to see these, they are high on my list for new irons in 2021. A JPX 921 HM/HMP Combo being option B.

The i15s were one of my favorite Ping irons...I tried the g30s and was very disappointed...they lasted about 2 months in my bag. Hope the new g425 are a better option, I would love to go back to Ping irons.

Edited by tbccgolfer
  • Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*) Tensei Red R
  • Irons -  Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ES 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R one wrap RH 

If the G425 is a little more compact than the 410 with a bit less offset and a little better feel, it will be a huge seller. A strong second option for those who like the i210 and that series but want a little more help. 

The difference in feel between the i210 (feels as good as forged to me) and g410 (definitely firmer) is substantial so closing that gap in the 425 would be a big selling point. 

• Like 1

I just saw it in person.  Not any smaller than any previous Ping 400 series iron.  Other than a little lipstick, it really isn't visually any different in size or shape.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Bummer I keep seeing in the review how the blade length is so much shorter Thant the G410. I guess it’s one of those 1% shorter marketing hype things...Oh well, I’ll hold out for that elusive i5 replacement.

Doesn’t make sense to me with the G710 in there, seems to me like i5 ish style would be a perfect middle to the i210 and G710 but I guess that’s why I don’t design golf clubs. Kind of how Mizuno put the Hot Metal Pro between Hot Metal and Forged...

4 hours ago, hd.softail said:

Bummer I keep seeing in the review how the blade length is so much shorter Thant the G410. I guess it’s one of those 1% shorter marketing hype things...Oh well, I’ll hold out for that elusive i5 replacement.

Doesn’t make sense to me with the G710 in there, seems to me like i5 ish style would be a perfect middle to the i210 and G710 but I guess that’s why I don’t design golf clubs. Kind of how Mizuno put the Hot Metal Pro between Hot Metal and Forged...

i210 is the i series replacement.  They are not going to make two very similar irons.  

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5*

Callaway Epic Flash 3W, 3/4 hybrids

Mizuno MP20 MMC, 4-PW

Mizuno T20 52*/58* wedges

Ping Karsten 1959 Craz-E

10 hours ago, hd.softail said:

I think I200/210 is a larger head size than was i5.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

Ping advertised the 410 as having smaller blade lengths but upon measuring and comparing against the G25's it was only the tiniest amount shorter and only in the short irons.  I posted photos in the 410 thread showing the difference.  Ping is pretty good about evolving their designs with each new iteration but I wouldn't expect a step function change with the 425's.  If they managed to make them sound and feel a little better that would be a great improvement.  I tend to doubt it though considering the face was thinned out more than before.

Edited by Nessism
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

On 10/17/2020 at 8:41 PM, Fairway14 said:

I think I200/210 is a larger head size than was i5.

I just held an i200 and i5 7iron next to each other yesterday. The i5 appeared to have a thicker top line but a more squat head. Not a bad looking club. My dad has had his since release and it looks brand new. 

F6 baffler
MP54
T7/S18/eye2XG Lob
Classic #3