2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New driver but lost distance

Jsk0307

I recently decided to replace my old Top Flite Intimidator driver 9°.  Went to get fitted and ended up with a recommendation for the Taylormade Sim 10.5° with Diamana S shaft.  The club feels amazing and I can hit it well.  But on the course or at the range I'm just not getting the distance I expect.   With my club head speed between 105-109 I am carrying about 210 yards or so.  Shot will feel great,  face tape will show a solid strike and the trajectory looks solid.  Just not seeing the distance that i expect.   Unless my rangefinder is inaccurate.  😂

1 hour ago, Jsk0307 said:

Yeah, that's why I am scratching my head.   I play my 5i to 185 and my 4h to 200.  I feel as though I should be able to consistently carry 240-250 with this driver.  I scheduled another session with my instructor/fitter to see what we can learn.   Maybe it's just not the right head for me.

It ain't the head. But there's clearly something wrong here.

105 should carry about 265 +/- 15 or so with any sort of near center strike and within a reasonable combination of reasonable launch and spin numbers.

And if you can carry a 5i 185, 105-109 on the driver is certainly reasonable. Also, I would think you could tell an awful strike with the driver,,,,,, and you haven't mentioned that. You seem to be indicating center strikes.

When you were "fitted" what were (all) the numbers ? (The 10.5 loft on your driver could be a hint)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

11 hours ago, nsxguy said:

It ain't the head. But there's clearly something wrong here.

105 should carry about 265 +/- 15 or so with any sort of near center strike and within a reasonable combination of reasonable launch and spin numbers.

And if you can carry a 5i 185, 105-109 on the driver is certainly reasonable. Also, I would think you could tell an awful strike with the driver,,,,,, and you haven't mentioned that. You seem to be indicating center strikes.

When you were "fitted" what were (all) the numbers ? (The 10.5 loft on your driver could be a hint)

Average:

Club speed: 105.4

Ball speed: 157.7

Smash factor: 1.5

Launch angle: 13.1

Spin rate: 2440

Carry: 250.6

Total: 286.1

Attack angle: 0.8

Face to path: 0.7

Swing direction: 1.0

I have a follow up appointment scheduled after my next lesson on Monday.   Should hopefully have this sorted.

2 hours ago, Jsk0307 said:

Average:

Club speed: 105.4

Ball speed: 157.7

Smash factor: 1.5

Launch angle: 13.1

Spin rate: 2440

Carry: 250.6

Total: 286.1

Attack angle: 0.8

Face to path: 0.7

Swing direction: 1.0

I have a follow up appointment scheduled after my next lesson on Monday.   Should hopefully have this sorted.

On 10/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, Jsk0307 said:

With my club head speed between 105-109 I am carrying about 210 yards or so.  Shot will feel great,  face tape will show a solid strike and the trajectory looks solid.  Just not seeing the distance that i expect.   Unless my rangefinder is inaccurate.  😂

You said in your OP you were carrying it 210.

While flightscope has those numbers going a bit further, 250 carry is certainly in the ballpark. You could get your launch up a degree or 2 and your spin down 2-400 rpms but there's certainly nothing wrong with 250.

Maybe you're shooting the wrong targets with your rangefinder ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by nsxguy

Titleist Pro V1X

9 hours ago, nsxguy said:

You said in your OP you were carrying it 210.

While flightscope has those numbers going a bit further, 250 carry is certainly in the ballpark. You could get your launch up a degree or 2 and your spin down 2-400 rpms but there's certainly nothing wrong with 250.

Maybe you're shooting the wrong targets with your rangefinder ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's possible I suppose.   Those numbers were the average of the shots that I took with the driver during fitting.   My range has a sheet at each station showing distances to each flag with the max being 239. Around 260ish there's a fence with trees.   I've yet to carry that flag at but have had a few get there after the bounce and roll.  

Will see what the video and numbers reveal during my lesson tomorrow.  

I recently decided to replace my old Top Flite Intimidator driver 9°.  Went to get fitted and ended up with a recommendation for the Taylormade Sim 10.5° with Diamana S shaft.  The club feels amazing and I can hit it well.  But on the course or at the range I'm just not getting the distance I expect.   With my club head speed between 105-109 I am carrying about 210 yards or so.  Shot will feel great,  face tape will show a solid strike and the trajectory looks solid.  Just not seeing the distance that i expect.   Unless my rangefinder is inaccurate.  😂

51 minutes ago, Jsk0307 said:

It's possible I suppose.   Those numbers were the average of the shots that I took with the driver during fitting.   My range has a sheet at each station showing distances to each flag with the max being 239. Around 260ish there's a fence with trees.   I've yet to carry that flag at but have had a few get there after the bounce and roll.  

My friend, to get good suggestions around here about these sorts of things you have to try to be more explicit/consistent with your story.

In your OP you suggested a rangefinder indicating real numbers. You even "laughed" about your rangefinder being off and that might be an issue shooting back at the tee - hard to do.

Now you're saying this was the AVERAGE of your drives. What good is your average ? What level of player are you ? Since you said "instructor/fitter" I'll assume the launch monitor was reset but did you hit any ridiculous slices or pull hooks that flew only 160 or so ? If so, who CARES about those ? Those are (mostly) useless in trying to find out if you're getting the "right" driver.

And from an average of 210 in your OP, you NOW post numbers with an average of 250.

As for the driving range, 240 is almost 2 1/2 football fields. I know, if the range isn't sufficiently lower than where I'm hitting from I couldn't tell if the ball lands past that flag, certainly not within 10-15 yards or so. Also, where's the prevailing wind at the range ?

Anyway, hope you have (had) a good day today.

Edited by nsxguy

Titleist Pro V1X

10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

My friend, to get good suggestions around here about these sorts of things you have to try to be more explicit/consistent with your story.

In your OP you suggested a rangefinder indicating real numbers. You even "laughed" about your rangefinder being off and that might be an issue shooting back at the tee - hard to do.

Now you're saying this was the AVERAGE of your drives. What good is your average ? What level of player are you ? Since you said "instructor/fitter" I'll assume the launch monitor was reset but did you hit any ridiculous slices or pull hooks that flew only 160 or so ? If so, who CARES about those ? Those are (mostly) useless in trying to find out if you're getting the "right" driver.

And from an average of 210 in your OP, you NOW post numbers with an average of 250.

As for the driving range, 240 is almost 2 1/2 football fields. I know, if the range isn't sufficiently lower than where I'm hitting from I couldn't tell if the ball lands past that flag, certainly not within 10-15 yards or so. Also, where's the prevailing wind at the range ?

Anyway, hope you have (had) a good day today.

Sorry for any confusion.  The 210y average shots i stated in my OP was at the driving range.  The 250y average was calculated by the simulator during my fitting session. 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 4:03 AM, Jsk0307 said:

Sorry for any confusion.  The 210y average shots i stated in my OP was at the driving range.  The 250y average was calculated by the simulator during my fitting session. 

You driving range is probably using old and/or reduced flight golf balls I bet. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, idontnoh said:

What about the head was the problem? Genuinely curious as I am having a similar issue with a new (used) driver I got. 

We don't know specifically as there's no visible issue or damage with the head.  They let me keep the replacement head and said that they would take care of sending the original back to Taylormade. 

9 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

You driving range is probably using old and/or reduced flight golf balls I bet. 

I know they use old balls for sure but unsure about flight restricted.   I do see an improvement with the replacement head though.   Both at the range and on the course.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2020 at 12:08 PM, Jsk0307 said:

We don't know specifically as there's no visible issue or damage with the head.  They let me keep the replacement head and said that they would take care of sending the original back to Taylormade. 

I know they use old balls for sure but unsure about flight restricted.   I do see an improvement with the replacement head though.   Both at the range and on the course.   

Thanks for response! This was enlightening.

• 5 months later...

I have a theory because I too lost distance going from my Top Flite Intimidator 13° Fairway Driver to various 9° and 10.5° big name drivers.

I think we might not be good at hitting up with "modern" drivers. I believe the Top Flite stock shafts are heavier than what you normally get when you by "big name" drivers. I don't have to change my swing from my long irons to get spectacular results hitting my Intimidator. But the flight is lower with tons of topspin... so in my prime I would carry 240+ yards and the ball would travel another 30-50 yards easily. 

• Like 1

something is off....did you mean 89 MPH swimng speed?  or perhaps 310 carry? dont forget, a lot of big box retialers jack their launch monitors to make sales

Edited by tsecor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2020 at 11:32 PM, Jsk0307 said:

Hmm...fire your fitter and start over!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 10:07 AM, Jsk0307 said:

Crappy range balls could be the culprit. Are you seeing the same poor performance on the course with playing balls?

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Guys, the OP hasn't been around in 6 months. His numbers were all over the place and he had no idea what was going on.

He's in the wind.

• Haha 1

Titleist Pro V1X