Jump to content

New driver but lost distance


Recommended Posts

I recently decided to replace my old Top Flite Intimidator driver 9°.  Went to get fitted and ended up with a recommendation for the Taylormade Sim 10.5° with Diamana S shaft.  The club feels amazing and I can hit it well.  But on the course or at the range I'm just not getting the distance I expect.   With my club head speed between 105-109 I am carrying about 210 yards or so.  Shot will feel great,  face tape will show a solid strike and the trajectory looks solid.  Just not seeing the distance that i expect.   Unless my rangefinder is inaccurate.  😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that's why I am scratching my head.   I play my 5i to 185 and my 4h to 200.  I feel as though I should be able to consistently carry 240-250 with this driver.  I scheduled another session with my instructor/fitter to see what we can learn.   Maybe it's just not the right head for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jsk0307 said:

Yeah, that's why I am scratching my head.   I play my 5i to 185 and my 4h to 200.  I feel as though I should be able to consistently carry 240-250 with this driver.  I scheduled another session with my instructor/fitter to see what we can learn.   Maybe it's just not the right head for me.

 

It ain't the head. But there's clearly something wrong here.

 

105 should carry about 265 +/- 15 or so with any sort of near center strike and within a reasonable combination of reasonable launch and spin numbers.

 

And if you can carry a 5i 185, 105-109 on the driver is certainly reasonable. Also, I would think you could tell an awful strike with the driver,,,,,, and you haven't mentioned that. You seem to be indicating center strikes.

 

When you were "fitted" what were (all) the numbers ? (The 10.5 loft on your driver could be a hint)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Taylormade XFT 64

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nsxguy said:

 

It ain't the head. But there's clearly something wrong here.

 

105 should carry about 265 +/- 15 or so with any sort of near center strike and within a reasonable combination of reasonable launch and spin numbers.

 

And if you can carry a 5i 185, 105-109 on the driver is certainly reasonable. Also, I would think you could tell an awful strike with the driver,,,,,, and you haven't mentioned that. You seem to be indicating center strikes.

 

When you were "fitted" what were (all) the numbers ? (The 10.5 loft on your driver could be a hint)

 

Average:

 

Club speed: 105.4

Ball speed: 157.7

Smash factor: 1.5

Launch angle: 13.1

Spin rate: 2440

Carry: 250.6

Total: 286.1

Attack angle: 0.8

Face to path: 0.7

Swing direction: 1.0

 

I have a follow up appointment scheduled after my next lesson on Monday.   Should hopefully have this sorted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jsk0307 said:

 

Average:

 

Club speed: 105.4

Ball speed: 157.7

Smash factor: 1.5

Launch angle: 13.1

Spin rate: 2440

Carry: 250.6

Total: 286.1

Attack angle: 0.8

Face to path: 0.7

Swing direction: 1.0

 

I have a follow up appointment scheduled after my next lesson on Monday.   Should hopefully have this sorted.

 

On 10/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, Jsk0307 said:

With my club head speed between 105-109 I am carrying about 210 yards or so.  Shot will feel great,  face tape will show a solid strike and the trajectory looks solid.  Just not seeing the distance that i expect.   Unless my rangefinder is inaccurate.  😂

 

You said in your OP you were carrying it 210.

 

While flightscope has those numbers going a bit further, 250 carry is certainly in the ballpark. You could get your launch up a degree or 2 and your spin down 2-400 rpms but there's certainly nothing wrong with 250.

 

Maybe you're shooting the wrong targets with your rangefinder ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Taylormade XFT 64

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nsxguy said:

 

 

You said in your OP you were carrying it 210.

 

While flightscope has those numbers going a bit further, 250 carry is certainly in the ballpark. You could get your launch up a degree or 2 and your spin down 2-400 rpms but there's certainly nothing wrong with 250.

 

Maybe you're shooting the wrong targets with your rangefinder ? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

It's possible I suppose.   Those numbers were the average of the shots that I took with the driver during fitting.   My range has a sheet at each station showing distances to each flag with the max being 239. Around 260ish there's a fence with trees.   I've yet to carry that flag at but have had a few get there after the bounce and roll.  

 

Will see what the video and numbers reveal during my lesson tomorrow.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2020 at 4:32 PM, Jsk0307 said:

I recently decided to replace my old Top Flite Intimidator driver 9°.  Went to get fitted and ended up with a recommendation for the Taylormade Sim 10.5° with Diamana S shaft.  The club feels amazing and I can hit it well.  But on the course or at the range I'm just not getting the distance I expect.   With my club head speed between 105-109 I am carrying about 210 yards or so.  Shot will feel great,  face tape will show a solid strike and the trajectory looks solid.  Just not seeing the distance that i expect.   Unless my rangefinder is inaccurate.  😂

 

51 minutes ago, Jsk0307 said:

 

It's possible I suppose.   Those numbers were the average of the shots that I took with the driver during fitting.   My range has a sheet at each station showing distances to each flag with the max being 239. Around 260ish there's a fence with trees.   I've yet to carry that flag at but have had a few get there after the bounce and roll.  

 

Will see what the video and numbers reveal during my lesson tomorrow.  

 

My friend, to get good suggestions around here about these sorts of things you have to try to be more explicit/consistent with your story.

 

In your OP you suggested a rangefinder indicating real numbers. You even "laughed" about your rangefinder being off and that might be an issue shooting back at the tee - hard to do.

 

Now you're saying this was the AVERAGE of your drives. What good is your average ? What level of player are you ? Since you said "instructor/fitter" I'll assume the launch monitor was reset but did you hit any ridiculous slices or pull hooks that flew only 160 or so ? If so, who CARES about those ? Those are (mostly) useless in trying to find out if you're getting the "right" driver.

 

And from an average of 210 in your OP, you NOW post numbers with an average of 250.

 

As for the driving range, 240 is almost 2 1/2 football fields. I know, if the range isn't sufficiently lower than where I'm hitting from I couldn't tell if the ball lands past that flag, certainly not within 10-15 yards or so. Also, where's the prevailing wind at the range ?

 

Anyway, hope you have (had) a good day today.

 

 

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Taylormade XFT 64

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, nsxguy said:

 

 

My friend, to get good suggestions around here about these sorts of things you have to try to be more explicit/consistent with your story.

 

In your OP you suggested a rangefinder indicating real numbers. You even "laughed" about your rangefinder being off and that might be an issue shooting back at the tee - hard to do.

 

Now you're saying this was the AVERAGE of your drives. What good is your average ? What level of player are you ? Since you said "instructor/fitter" I'll assume the launch monitor was reset but did you hit any ridiculous slices or pull hooks that flew only 160 or so ? If so, who CARES about those ? Those are (mostly) useless in trying to find out if you're getting the "right" driver.

 

And from an average of 210 in your OP, you NOW post numbers with an average of 250.

 

As for the driving range, 240 is almost 2 1/2 football fields. I know, if the range isn't sufficiently lower than where I'm hitting from I couldn't tell if the ball lands past that flag, certainly not within 10-15 yards or so. Also, where's the prevailing wind at the range ?

 

Anyway, hope you have (had) a good day today.

 

 

Sorry for any confusion.  The 210y average shots i stated in my OP was at the driving range.  The 250y average was calculated by the simulator during my fitting session. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So after some testing it turns out that the club head wasn't performing as expected.  It was showing 215 on the Trackman.  Swapping it out for another head made a noticeable difference.  Was carrying 242-253y while testing.   Going to take it to the range tomorrow and see how it goes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...