Just ordered new MP irons

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First time I’ve ordered new irons (been playing 40 years).    7-PW MP-20 blades 4-6 MP-20 MMC project X LZ 6.0, +1/4”, 1* upright   Pretty excited.  I hadn’t been playing mo

You'll absolutely love the irons. I was coming from the i210s and have been very surprised at how forgiving the MP20 MBs, I've had no problems on the switch. Oddly enough I take smaller divots with th

Thanks for the replies. I thought I had replied earlier via my phone, but I guess I didn't 'submit' perhaps?   I was concerned about going from a 34* 7 iron blade to the 28* 6 iron MMC,

Enjoy them, brother! Exactly the makeup I would have ordered. But I’ve grown to admit I need some more help, and will buy cavity back irons (New Level 902, if you’re curious).

I’m currently playing 33s in 7-PW and those sticks are special. Will never sell them. 

Let us know how you get along with the MBs, several people on here claim they are easy to hit. Also, I’d love to know if you think that the MMCs feel as phenomenal as virtually everybody who hit them is saying. They might be Mizuno‘s latest evergreen...

I have a mixed set of MP-20s as well. 5-6 HMB, 7-8 MMC, 9-P MB. You should be excited. Great set, no doubt you'll be very happy when you have your set. Enjoy!

Cobra F9 9, Fujikura Atmos 6s +1.5 
Cobra F9 3-4 Tour with Project X Hzrdus 6.0 +1.5
Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 5-6, MMC 7-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R
Scratch 1018 KBS 50
Scratch 1018 KBS 56
Nike Engage Toe Sweep 60
Yes! Mollie with Sense R grip

3 hours ago, Karch said:

First time I’ve ordered new irons (been playing 40 years). 

7-PW MP-20 blades

4-6 MP-20 MMC

project X LZ 6.0, +1/4”, 1* upright

Pretty excited.  I hadn’t been playing more than 4x a year from 2012-2018, now playing 2-3 times a week.  

Already have a new driver and 3W, club fitter is also bringing in a 2i MP-20 HMB for me to try.  I figure I can deal with the gap from 4i to 2i if I have to, as it’s not that often I’m in that range and shooting at a green, but I love a strong long iron off the tee. 

These will replace my MP-64 with KBS C-Taper, which replaced my MP-33 x100 (those were amazing, still have them 😀). 

Just wanted to share my excitement. 

Fwiw, I did try T100, P770, i500.  Mizzy’s just felt better.  Actually, I mostly hit the MMC, not the blades, but I just love blades so I figure this will be the best blend, for me, while I’m playing often. 

Nice. I went mp33 to mp63 to jpx900 tours. About to order jpx921tours. Hit them well.

Btw, I have hmb 3i and 4i...

Thanks for the replies.

I thought I had replied earlier via my phone, but I guess I didn't 'submit' perhaps?

I was concerned about going from a 34* 7 iron blade to the 28* 6 iron MMC, so the fitter (very well known and respected) and I discussed ordering one a degree strong and the other a degree weak, or other options.

My question than was, what would Mizuno do to the clubs that you wouldn't do on your Mitchell machine?  To that he said it was the same thing, which I believe to be true.

So, I asked, why don't we order them the stock lofts, and either I hit them on your Trackman when they come in and adjust then, or I play them a couple of times and report back, then adjust?

He liked the idea.

I came to this because I went to a pgasuperstore and tried out the blade and MMC and noticed I'm about 5-6 yards, on average, longer with the MMC, which is about right for the lofts, but since the geometry is a bit different I felt I needed to test to be sure.

I tend to be very consistent with my yardages with irons, though I also tend to miss left and right much more than front and back.

My reasoning to go with the blades in the shorter irons is because I had always played blades (1982 Staff FG17, wore them out for years, then Hogan Apex, MP33 (X100's), then the current MP-64).  I had been playing only 4x a year from 2013-2018, and I came back from a family trip where I played in Scotland on rented clubs, and realized I'm too old (50) and not playing enough to play blades with x100's anymore.

Well, while I adore my MP-64's, I still lust whenever I see someone playing blades.  When I go to a golf store, my eyes always lock on blades.  I was ready to accept the MMC as they felt great, but then I remembered I can do a combo.

I started to think hard about it.  What did I realistically think would be a good break, or split, point?  I thought about the distance I hit them, where I think it's realistic to expect to hit it close, etc.  I tend to play a slight draw but like to shape it either way.

I was going to go for the 8-PW, but felt 7 would be fine.  I was hitting the 7 MMC about 172 on Trackman, with 5 yard roll out.  In truth, most courses I play, if no wind, I get zero roll out.  My ball tends to hit and stop (lucky, but into a wind kills me usually).

Anyway, so that is what I ordered.  The fitter ordered me a 2i HMB as well, no commitment on my part.  He helped me with the trackman a few weeks ago when I was trying out a UDI and saw I hit that well so we decided to give this a try.  He said if I can maintain a 40* landing angle I can hold the green with the 2i, and I was just above that.

I'm an engineer and a gearhead, so this kind of stuff gets me pretty excited.  I'm recently divorced (hence golfing more now) and have a new gf that golfs 5x a week, so it's all good.

I have a new instructor who says I need to work on my putting, I'm losing a lot of strokes on the greens (truth be told, my chipping and putting skills are on par with about 2x my handicap, I still hit the ball tee to green well), so I'm also going to get a couple wedges to help in getting closer to the pin.

Four-five weeks is going to be tough to wait out. 

• Like 1

That's awesome OP! I had a fitting yesterday myself and I went with the same MP combo set but with Modus 125x, +1/2, 1 up. I hit several heads and shafts and the top runners besides the MP set were the Titleist CB, JPX 921 Tour, and the TM P7MC. I've never been a big TaylorMade guy but the P7MC was very nice and a close second (The P7MB was very nice, too). I almost went full MMC for the set, but I too am coming from playing blades and liked the idea of the combo. These blend so well with the MBs with the right loft adjustments. I went 2* weak on the MCC lofts to blend in with the MB stock lofts. Now, I'm kind of considering the HMB for a 3 iron/driving iron. Can't wait to get these in the bag!

Edited by cflo2382
  • Like 1

PING G400 @ 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Black Velo 7X

PING G400 5 Wood @ 16.5* - Aldila RIPx 95TX

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4i-6i / MB 7i-PW - Nippon Modus 125X

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, & 60* - DG TI S400 Onyx

Lajosi Sensor Custom

Lamkin UTX, PRO V1x, Hoofer Tour

That was an interesting way to approach the combo set and gapping. 6* between the 7i and 6i is a lot, but I agree that it's best to hit them first and see how they work before adjusting them.

I played the MP64s for a year or so. They might as well be a blade, but it was thank to them that I moved on to MP4s. Still play MP4s, though not the original set I first bought because this is GolfWRX and I am a ho.

By the way, with that high ball-flight, high-spin shot you have, I imagine Scottish golf must have been pretty tough?

8 hours ago, Karch said:

Thanks for the replies.

I thought I had replied earlier via my phone, but I guess I didn't 'submit' perhaps?

I was concerned about going from a 34* 7 iron blade to the 28* 6 iron MMC, so the fitter (very well known and respected) and I discussed ordering one a degree strong and the other a degree weak, or other options.

My question than was, what would Mizuno do to the clubs that you wouldn't do on your Mitchell machine?  To that he said it was the same thing, which I believe to be true.

So, I asked, why don't we order them the stock lofts, and either I hit them on your Trackman when they come in and adjust then, or I play them a couple of times and report back, then adjust?

He liked the idea.

I came to this because I went to a pgasuperstore and tried out the blade and MMC and noticed I'm about 5-6 yards, on average, longer with the MMC, which is about right for the lofts, but since the geometry is a bit different I felt I needed to test to be sure.

I tend to be very consistent with my yardages with irons, though I also tend to miss left and right much more than front and back.

My reasoning to go with the blades in the shorter irons is because I had always played blades (1982 Staff FG17, wore them out for years, then Hogan Apex, MP33 (X100's), then the current MP-64).  I had been playing only 4x a year from 2013-2018, and I came back from a family trip where I played in Scotland on rented clubs, and realized I'm too old (50) and not playing enough to play blades with x100's anymore.

Well, while I adore my MP-64's, I still lust whenever I see someone playing blades.  When I go to a golf store, my eyes always lock on blades.  I was ready to accept the MMC as they felt great, but then I remembered I can do a combo.

I started to think hard about it.  What did I realistically think would be a good break, or split, point?  I thought about the distance I hit them, where I think it's realistic to expect to hit it close, etc.  I tend to play a slight draw but like to shape it either way.

I was going to go for the 8-PW, but felt 7 would be fine.  I was hitting the 7 MMC about 172 on Trackman, with 5 yard roll out.  In truth, most courses I play, if no wind, I get zero roll out.  My ball tends to hit and stop (lucky, but into a wind kills me usually).

Anyway, so that is what I ordered.  The fitter ordered me a 2i HMB as well, no commitment on my part.  He helped me with the trackman a few weeks ago when I was trying out a UDI and saw I hit that well so we decided to give this a try.  He said if I can maintain a 40* landing angle I can hold the green with the 2i, and I was just above that.

I'm an engineer and a gearhead, so this kind of stuff gets me pretty excited.  I'm recently divorced (hence golfing more now) and have a new gf that golfs 5x a week, so it's all good.

I have a new instructor who says I need to work on my putting, I'm losing a lot of strokes on the greens (truth be told, my chipping and putting skills are on par with about 2x my handicap, I still hit the ball tee to green well), so I'm also going to get a couple wedges to help in getting closer to the pin.

Four-five weeks is going to be tough to wait out. 

You made the right choice.  I can report that bending the mmc 6 iron a few degrees weak doesn’t hurt the turf interaction at all. You’ll be able to gap that perfectly.  And the  mp 20 MB isn’t at all a chore to hit.  

• Like 1

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red 6x 

TM RBZ 14* Addi 8x 

TM Gapr bonded 21* evenflow blue 6.5 

Miura MC-501 4-Pw DG.X7

Miura 51 55 59 s400

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

You'll absolutely love the irons. I was coming from the i210s and have been very surprised at how forgiving the MP20 MBs, I've had no problems on the switch. Oddly enough I take smaller divots with the MBs than the i210s. I haven't tried the 919 Tours, but I thought the 900 Tours were by far the hardest to hit irons I've ever tried, way way way harder than the MBs. 

• Like 2

G400 Max
M6 3W

RBZ Hybrid
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw SM7 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

I have a combo set of MPs coming also. 8-PW in the MB have been delivered, as well as 3-4 HMB. I have the MMCs filling in 5-7. I’m coming from Apex CF16s and these are very playable. I’m getting rid of the HMB 4 iron and likely replacing it with an MMC

Ping G410 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

Tour Issue TaylorMade SIM Ti 18.2* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Titleist TSi2 21* / Fujikura Ventus Red 9x

TaylorMade SIM UDI 18* / Fujikura Ventus Black 10tx

Titleist T100S 4-W / Dynamic Gold X7

Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 54-12x / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 60-8w / True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5 Dual Balance

I am currently trying to decide on a purchase of a set of MP-20's to replace my MP-33's. I feel like the MP-20's may be a bit more consistent for me, they were within a yard every swing at a fitting the other day. They also felt amazing, but that may just be because they were something new. I have very short honeymoon phase of greatness, I should prob just stick with the 33's.

19 hours ago, Sfd732 said:

I am currently trying to decide on a purchase of a set of MP-20's to replace my MP-33's. I feel like the MP-20's may be a bit more consistent for me, they were within a yard every swing at a fitting the other day. They also felt amazing, but that may just be because they were something new. I have very short honeymoon phase of greatness, I should prob just stick with the 33's.

I bought the MP20 set, I also have the MP32 set. I like the MP32 better. The 20's will be longer than your 33's because they are 1° stronger, so probably 3 yards longer. The MP20 is a great set, but can't honestly say they are better than other Mizuno blades.

Callaway B21 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Mizuno ST190 3W - GD AD DI 6

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP54 (4-PW) - DG S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Sounds like a good set for the OP.  Long time Mizuno fan.  20 years with the MP-14, then went MP-15 (short lived), then MP-18 SC.  Sold my MP-18 SC and currently game Titleist T100, but looking at the MP-20 MMC.  There is something about Mizuno irons that keep me coming back.  I game my MP-14 from time to time and fall in love all over again.  Just need something more forgiving on mishits.  Seems like the MMC might be the answer, especially after all the positive feedbacks I've read.

SIM 9.75* - Diamana DF 60x | Cobra Tour 15* - Diamana D+ 70X | Cobra Tour 19* - Diamana D+ 80X | T100 4-PW X100 SS | RTX4 50/54/58 S400 | NP2 Button Back

Thanks.  Pretty excited.  My last two rounds I have been driving the ball great (for me), hit some good iron shots, and my putting is eluding me.  Ugh.  But, every round is on a different course, yesterday they had been punched recently, last week were lightning fast for here in SoCal.

The fitter ordered the same shaft for the 2i HMB, he said he likes that weight for me.  Normally I would have opted for a bit lighter and graphite, but he thinks I'll hit it just as far as a graphite.  Not sure how, but then again, he's quite good at what he does.

My gap between the 4i and 2i will probably be 20 yards.  While it's not ideal, when I think about it, it's not often I am 225 to a green.  If I am, I can choke down, I guess.  If I have a 225 shot to a green twice in a round would surprise me...besides, that's what shotmaking is for, right?  

In my fitting, the $-Taper was a close second, but the Mizuno shaft optimizer also picked the PX LZ 6.0.  The fitter said that he's done this a long time, and it's rare when that optimizer isn't spot on.  

I plan to be fit for wedges when they come in.  This Covid thing is costing me too much...haha.

FWIW, my index just dropped 0.6 points 🙂

13 hours ago, Karch said:

Got a call from the store today, they expect the clubs to be in on 11/18...ugh!

Glad they were proactive in letting me know.  I have a week long baseball tournament next week, so at least I will have some distraction.

Just got a quote for a customer of mine and they are now saying Christmas for MMC. Think yours are in before they ran out again so you should get them.

Titleist TSi3 9.0 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei AV Raw Orange 65 TX
Titleist TSi3 15 w/ Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei AV Raw White 85 TX

Titleist MOTO 915Fd 18 w/ Fujikura Ventus VeloCore Black 9 - X
Titleist CNCPT CP-03 3i, CP-02 4i-9i w/ TT Dynamic Gold TI X100
Vokey BVHG SM8 46.10F, 50.12F, 54.10S, 60.08M w/ TT DG TI
Scotty Cameron Roundback Tour 1.5/Timeless Tourtype SSS
WITB Link

My MP20’s were ordered on 9/7 and took about a month to come in.  I went with:

4 HMP

5-PW in MMC 

KBS $Taper 130 Black - they look and feel amazing  - first round this past weekend I stuffed an 8 iron on 18 to win our match with “Gimmie” Birdie.   

you won’t regret them - I thought I wanted the 921’s but fell in love with the MP20’s!

• Like 1
M3 9.5* - ACCRA TZ5 265 M5      M5 Rocket 14* Matrix Black 8M3    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
TM 2014 TP 4-PW DG TI X100     RTX4  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     Evnroll ER5    Titleist  Players 4
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

Hope they work out for you OP, I've been in Mizunos pretty much since I started playing more seriously. I'm looking at going full MB, 3-PW. Considered the HMB for the 3 but I'm going to see how it goes with the blades. Sounds like I should get them on order soon or it could be a while. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno MP-69 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

2 hours ago, ForTourUseOnly said:

Just got a quote for a customer of mine and they are now saying Christmas for MMC. Think yours are in before they ran out again so you should get them.

I was told the same delay for the MMC in my order. Luckily, since mine are +1/2", I was able to go with the "B weight heads" which apparently don't have the same delay.

• Like 1

PING G400 @ 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Black Velo 7X

PING G400 5 Wood @ 16.5* - Aldila RIPx 95TX

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3i - Mitsubishi MMT 125TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4i-6i / MB 7i-PW - Nippon Modus 125X

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, & 60* - DG TI S400 Onyx

Lajosi Sensor Custom

Lamkin UTX, PRO V1x, Hoofer Tour

OP - Congrats on your new purchase and I hope you get your MP20's soon.  I figured I'd chime in with my MP20 & overall new bag experience this year:

Back in February I decided to treat myself to a whole new bag and go all in on the fitting process etc.  I had three 2-3 hour sessions before the clubs were ordered and another 1+ hour session with the new sticks once they were built to dial in anything etc.  The process was great.  I'm not sure what this all means, but the shafts were spun, pured and MOI matched.  I got Mizuno ST200 driver, ST200 3 & 5 woods, MP20 HMB 3-5 irons, MP20 blade 6-PW and T20 chrome 50, 55 & 60 wedges and then a Taylor Made Sim Max 19* hybrid.  Yes, that's 15 new clubs so when I throw a putter in I have 16 clubs.  I went with that as I like to tinker in the long clubs depending on the course and what's working etc.

The MP20 clubs are awesome and I likely had my best ball striking summer ever, though I now only play 40 rounds per year (we have kids) as opposed to when I was young/single and used to play 100+ rounds per year.  I'm guessing this is due to the shafts being spun, pured & MOI matched (whatever that all means), but I gained about 5-10 yards on each iron compared to my old sets and generally hit them straighter (I often fight a draw/hook).

Back in the day when I played a ton of golf my handicap stayed around scratch.  My handicap crept up to 3-4 the last few years when the kids arrived and I played less golf.  This summer it went back down to 1 even though I only played about 40 rounds.  I tribute this to the consistency of the MP20 irons.

I had the blade 6 iron bent a little strong to flow better with the HMB 5 iron.  These clubs are so pure, especially the blades.  They look & feel so great.  I've had so many people look at, admire and ask about the MP20's, which is kind of fun as I'm an equipment rube.  I wasn't sure I had the game to play blades, but I think I have the game to play these.  Minor negative is that the HMB's are different clubs from the blades.  HMB's are more forgiving, thus harder to "work", they can be too "hot" compared to the blades and every once in a while I catch a flier with the HMB's that goes too far.  I've learned to watch for that depending on the lie I have and try to dial it back a bit when I see a potential flier situation.  Even though I had the blade 6 iron bent a little strong, there is a little too much distance gap between 5 & 6 irons compared to the rest of the set.  If I had to start over, I would have got a blade 5 iron instead of HMB.  For 3 & 4 iron shots the confidence of the HMB is great for me.

One big positive is that the HMB 3 iron is a missile launcher & fairway finder off the tee.  It goes a similar distance to the Max hybrid (230 yards), but I don't have to worry about hooking left like the hybrid does when I make a bad swing.

For the most part I went with driver, 5-wood and then 3 iron down this summer.  I have more confidence in the add'l loft of the 5 wood compared to the 3 wood.  Sure, there are a few rare times when a 3 wood would be nice when 260+ out on a par 5, but I've learned that ripping a 3 wood from that far out generally causes more problems than the potential reward is worth.

I didn't really notice any improvement in the driver, fwy wood and hybrid areas compared to previous clubs I've had.  In fact, my Ping G400 Max driver snuck back in the bag and stayed there for 80% of my rounds.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver

Mizuno ST200 5 wood
Mizuno MP20 HMB 3-5 irons
Mizuno MP20 6-pw

Mizuno T20 50*, 55* and 60* wedges
PXG Gen 2 Bat Attack putter
Titleist Pro V1x ball

Thank you for your posts.  Can't believe how long the wait is, I've never been a patient person.  In fact, I cut back on playing many years ago due to how long it takes to play a round in Los Angeles.  If left to my own, I play in about 3 hours, walking, not even trying to play fast.  

Anyway, hopefully less than 4 weeks to go.😲

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  no update, except to say Mizuno has missed their promise date 3x.  

I work in manufacturing.  We have customer request date and promise date. 

Shame on us for missing promise date. 

Last I heard, as of mid week, is Dec 1 ship date to the golf shop.

I am disappointed.  I understand, but still disappointed. 

8 hours ago, Karch said:

Update:  no update, except to say Mizuno has missed their promise date 3x.  

I work in manufacturing.  We have customer request date and promise date. 

Shame on us for missing promise date. 

Last I heard, as of mid week, is Dec 1 ship date to the golf shop.

I am disappointed.  I understand, but still disappointed. 

You won't be disappointed when you're on the course with your crispy mizunos.  Patience grasshopper. I love my mp18 mmc. Once you have em, you'll have forgotten about a small wait. 

Edited by Therealpatgiles