any tips for cold weather golf?

Roejye

So winter is coming up pretty quick, weather where I am is going to be pretty chilly tomorrow. I have an 8 am tee time and the temperature is supposed to be a balmy 33°. I know I'm going to be losing distance, I bought some winter gloves, I'm going to be using soft compression balls, and I'm going to layer up. Just wondering if there are any other tips to stay warm, what I should do with my equipment, stuff like that. Any bits of wisdom?

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Hand warmer in a pocket to keep golf ball warm. Carry three with you.  Rotate them every three holes

• Like 3

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

59 minutes ago, DennyJones said:

If it's windy with 33°, cancel.   

Oh yeah, if it's too windy I won't play. I didn't play golf yesterday here when it was in the 50's with high winds. 33° and wind bleep that. I love golf, but not that much. 

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

1 hour ago, MikeW2 said:

Ok, this might sound crazy but it works. Pour a little bit of hot pepper into your socks, the big flakes like the ones you find on the table at pizza places. Watching an outdoor hockey game in high school where temp was like 10* a friend’s mother was watching in just a sweater. Asked her how she wasn’t freezing and she told me to use the pepper. I tried it next game and it worked awesome. If I’m going to play when I know it’s going to be cold I still use the trick.

Disclaimer: your feet will stink after the round, although could also just be me.

Yeah, with my feet I'm betting it would be an improvement.

• Haha 1

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

Where an internal thermal of some sort under and layer up. Dont wear anything bulky and restrictive. Like some have said, head packs like hand warmers are good but remember to get them going before the round or else they wont really kick in until 9 holes in. Usually I activate them before I go to the golf course. Thermal leggings are good also. Main thing is be sure you can shed the stuff off.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

13 hours ago, dhacker56 said:

Violates rule  14:3  Not legal to warm balls during a round. 

Inactive season starts Nov 14th (here) -so it's not a kept score for HCP purpose. If it's a tournament during winter put 18 balls in a thermal pouch with hand warmers before your round. Play a freshly warmed ball on each hole 

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

Watch out for frost delays.  We have them here in CO and most courses had a 1.5 hour frost delay yesterday.  Talk about f'ing-up the tee sheets.  The courses then struggle all day to play catch-up and the course is stacked with players waiting on tee boxes.

So the advice is to watch out for early morning tee times when the temps start dropping low overnight.

Edited by Noodler

3 hours ago, Noodler said:

Watch out for frost delays.  We have them here in CO and most courses had a 1.5 hour frost delay yesterday.  Talk about f'ing-up the tee sheets.  The courses then struggle all day to play catch-up and the course is stacked with players waiting on tee boxes.

So the advice is to watch out for early morning tee times when the temps start dropping low overnight.

We did have a frost delay, waiter an hour. Then a mini blizzard hit and I took a raincheck. If I didn't have stuff scheduled for the afternoon I would have waited it out, but I took a raincheck.

IMG_20201016_093455113.jpg

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

Thin fitted layering works well.  I played in a cash scramble yesterday with light rain and temps around 9*C. I wore a long sleeve thin wool undershirt, a short sleeve golf shirt, a quarter zip long sleeve pull over and thermal long underwear.  Aside from that I also wore a light down filled vest, (best addition to fall golf ever), which kept me plenty warm without adding bulk.  In my mind the key is to keep your core, hands and feet warm.  Mittens between shots work well.  In our area there used to be a lot of fall cash scrambles and the weather was often brutal, (sometimes snow, sleet, rain), and often I would wear a thermacare heated back wrap.  https://www.amazon.com/Thermacare-1311850-10c-Lower-Air-Activated-HeatWraps/dp/B07RF98D6S/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=thermal+back+wrap&qid=1603125865&sr=8-3 

• Like 2

The most important thing while playing in the cold is to keep moving. 

It sounds silly but standing still for 5 mins at a time on the tee or green can really get your body to drop it's temp. Between your playing partners shots try to make a swing or two to keep your self moving. 

I play through out the UK winter so it's usually about 0 Celcius and if you stand for too long you soon get stiff. Even with a thermal layer your core temp will drop. This is even more of an issue if you are not carrying since the carrying with increase your body temp.  

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 8:04 PM, dhacker56 said:

Violates rule  14:3  Not legal to warm balls during a round. 

That is the old rules. It is illegal under 4.2a now and the language was changed so that any action to deliberately alter the ball is illegal. So I believe preheating would be considered illegal too.

Edited by 2bGood

On 10/15/2020 at 8:59 PM, Roejye said:

So winter is coming up pretty quick, weather where I am is going to be pretty chilly tomorrow. I have an 8 am tee time and the temperature is supposed to be a balmy 33°. I know I'm going to be losing distance, I bought some winter gloves, I'm going to be using soft compression balls, and I'm going to layer up. Just wondering if there are any other tips to stay warm, what I should do with my equipment, stuff like that. Any bits of wisdom?

One thing I noticed in your post is the soft compression balls. I used to do/think the same thing but I "learned" through some youTube videos that the ball performance of a cold ball actually goes further if you have an average to fast driver Swing Speed (+85 mph).

So i stopped using and actual soft ball and went to a ball that I perceive as soft so it feels soft around the greens.

Just some food for thought.

My strategy

Cold ball - Srixon Z-Star

Warm ball - Pro-v1

On 10/20/2020 at 9:53 AM, kcstock said:

One thing I noticed in your post is the soft compression balls. I used to do/think the same thing but I "learned" through some youTube videos that the ball performance of a cold ball actually goes further if you have an average to fast driver Swing Speed (+85 mph).

So i stopped using and actual soft ball and went to a ball that I perceive as soft so it feels soft around the greens.

Just some food for thought.

My strategy

Cold ball - Srixon Z-Star

Warm ball - Pro-v1

interesting. The one thing I really like about the ball I played (Noodle Easy Straight), is while it is a soft ball it doesn't really feel like a soft ball and I've gotten some of my best drives of the year with them. I also like how it performs off of the putter face, my putter stroke is on the deliberate side, and with pro-v1's in particular I have to stroke it harder than I prefer. Granted that's very easily something I could adapt to, but there's cost/personal beliefs involved.

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

Silk underlayering, and wear cart mitts between shots, always! 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

a merino wool buff is a great addition to cold weather gear. i prefer the balaclava style with a beanie (or toque, for our northern friends!) and a jacket hood cinched down if it gets breezy.

image.png.77583d60e9c8b81c8166d3af7b03da7c.png

a good layering system is critical imho. i like thin merino wool (or merino + poly blend) base layers because they retain body heat if i get sweaty. cotton is a nightmare and should be avoided. my go to for freezing weather is this:

* wool buff + beanie

* wool long johns

* wool tank top plus long sleeve on top (underneath golf polo)

* lightweight waterproof/windproof jacket with pit zips for venting

* lightweight waterproof/windproof pants with side zips for venting. suspenders are wonderful for keeping everything in place and keeping the cold out.

* long wool socks are great, too. "darn tough" are excellent and have a lifetime warranty if i recall correctly. 

* hot thermos of tea or coffee for keeping hands warm and morale high 🙂

i don't have a thin down vest, but after seeing @DShepley's comment i think it makes a lot of sense. same with @b.mattay's comment about cart mitts. i use 2 rain gloves which seems to help but it's not perfect.

if the ground is frozen you're going to need a hammer for your tees or some of those tee "caps" (or whatever they're called) that rest on the ground. 

last but not least, keep your balls warm by keeping your balls close to your balls 😂

Edited by hoselpalooza
suspenders

9 hours ago, hoselpalooza said:

a merino wool buff is a great addition to cold weather gear. i prefer the balaclava style with a beanie (or toque, for our northern friends!) and a jacket hood cinched down if it gets breezy.

image.png.77583d60e9c8b81c8166d3af7b03da7c.png

a good layering system is critical imho. i like thin merino wool (or merino + poly blend) base layers because they retain body heat if i get sweaty. cotton is a nightmare and should be avoided. my go to for freezing weather is this:

* wool buff + beanie

* wool long johns

* wool tank top plus long sleeve on top (underneath golf polo)

* lightweight waterproof/windproof jacket with pit zips for venting

* lightweight waterproof/windproof pants with side zips for venting. suspenders are wonderful for keeping everything in place and keeping the cold out.

* long wool socks are great, too. "darn tough" are excellent and have a lifetime warranty if i recall correctly. 

* hot thermos of tea or coffee for keeping hands warm and morale high 🙂

i don't have a thin down vest, but after seeing @DShepley's comment i think it makes a lot of sense. same with @b.mattay's comment about cart mitts. i use 2 rain gloves which seems to help but it's not perfect.

if the ground is frozen you're going to need a hammer for your tees or some of those tee "caps" (or whatever they're called) that rest on the ground. 

last but not least, keep your balls warm by keeping your balls close to your balls 😂

The down vest is amazing and doesn't add bulk to your arms.  They weigh almost nothing and insulate very well.  I got mine at Costco up here in Canada for about $30.  It's similar to this one on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/32-Degrees-Packable-Khaki-X-Large/dp/B01LI9F51U/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=32+degree+heat+down+vest&qid=1603411213&sprefix=32+degrees+heat+d&sr=8-12m  coffee or tea is a great idea as well, though a flask with a wee tipple of Scotch or Irish Whiskey is never a bad idea either :)!

• Thanks 1

1. Walk, don't ride.

2. Keep your head and your hands warm.

3. Invest in good base layers, a fleece vest, and good water/wind gear.  If you are dressed correctly and you're walking, they'll close the course before you get too cold to play.

4. Don't leave golf balls in the car overnight, and rotate two hole by hole. 

5. Reduce expectations a bit for distance.  I think you can safely ignore the stuff about changing to low compression golf balls in the winter, but no golf ball is going to fly as far in cold, dense air, especially when struck by a guy who has on 4 layers of clothing.

Two words: Golf Simulator 

• Haha 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 10/22/2020 at 10:17 PM, Jersey golfer said:

loose meaning not restrictive

Best cold weather item I have is under armour Compression Cold Gear mock. It does an excellent job of keeping me warm, with no bulk and next to no restriction. I wear it under a golf shirt, if it is windy I need a wind shirt aswell or raining a gor-tex shell. The only downside, is you are pretty much committed to wearing it as it worn under your clothes and can't easily be taken off if you get too warm. 

spacer.png

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Best cold weather item I have is under armour Compression Cold Gear mock. It does an excellent job of keeping me warm, with no bulk and next to no restriction. I wear it under golf shirt, if windy I need a wind short or raining a gortex shell. The only downside, is you are pretty much committed to wearing it as it worn under you clothes and can't easily be taken off if you get too warm. 

spacer.png

You are not wrong there! I will never forget playing behind a guy who had obviously gotten to warm and decided it was best to take of the jumper he had on top of his base layer. Seeing a guy with the physique of Tim Herron sitting in the clubhouse later with still just the base layer on is an image I will never be able to rid from my mind.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023