What is your average total driving distance by handicap? ***we will cont to remove "NOT MY HANDICAP" #'s so the graphs look good***

What is your (male) average total driving distance by handicap?  

704 members have voted

1. 1. Handicap less than 6 (chose "NOT MY HANDICAP" if yours is different)

• NOT MY HANDICAP
    • 200 yds or less
    • 200-220 yds
    • 220-240 yds
    • 240-260 yds
    • 260-280 yds
    • 280-300 yds
    • 300+
  2. 2. handicap 6 to 12 (chose "NOT MY HANDICAP" if yours is different)

• NOT MY HANDICAP
    • 200 yds or less
    • 200-220 yds
    • 220-240 yds
    • 240-260 yds
    • 260-280 yds
    • 280-300 yds
    • 300+
  3. 3. handicap 13 to 20 (chose "NOT MY HANDICAP" if yours is different)

• NOT MY HANDICAP
    • 200 yds or less
    • 200-220 yds
    • 220-240 yds
    • 240-260 yds
    • 260-280 yds
    • 280-300 yds
    • 300+
  4. 4. handicap 20+ (chose "NOT MY HANDICAP" if yours is different)

• NOT MY HANDICAP
    • 200 yds or less
    • 200-220 yds
    • 220-240 yds
    • 240-260 yds
    • 260-280 yds
    • 280-300 yds
    • 300+

59yo, 8-9 index. 

Rt hander with a Rt rotator cuff injury since June this year. Index trending  upwards.

Before injury- 225-230 carry, 

After injury - 215-220 carry.

Before injury I'd say I was on par with a lot of guys my age with similar indexes, distance wise. 

I do play with some other big hitters who regularly get it out there 270-280 and in play.

I was surprised by the WRX responses....though everyone here was chasing Bryson and nipping at his heels....

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoooaaaaa no one said we would have to prove any of this   (scrambles to change answer)

Interesting that so far at least, not one person has chosen the 300+ option. I thought everyone here at GolfWRX drove the ball a minimum of 350 yards? 🤣😆

You really should add a "scratch or below" grouping. Bet we'd see some interesting stuff there.

Posted Images

The survey seems seat of the pants accurate. I put myself down on 260-280 but that can mean 250-290 too. 270 is mean expectation. Drove a par 5 last week with a #4i. So yeah it's real. I'm 57, 5'9" & a soft 165 lbs. I average a 150 range balls a week & maybe get out 4X a month.

Hockey is definitely a good primer for a golf swing.

• Like 1

When someone asks "drive" I hear "tee shot" not literal "driver".  For example, holes 8 and 16 at my club.  I don't hit driver because I'm not tight enough with it on those short par 4s, sometimes hitting as high as 5 hybrid.  I count that in my average if someone asks for my average drive because if I was better I wouldn't have to gear down like that.

Wilson Triton 10.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 3.3-60s

Taylormade SIM Max D 16* Aldila Tour Green 75x

Bridgestone j40 3-LW x100

Scotty Cameron Big Sur 2

On 10/15/2020 at 7:48 PM, easyyy said:

We have a front page article that showed data. We want to hear from you. ***WE WILL CONTINUE TO CARVE OUT THE VOTES OF NOT MY HANDICAP SO THE GRAPH LOOKS GOOD***

1590935219_ScreenShot2020-10-16at5_03_21PM.jpg.6b6f659b4e4ac80e7cfed976a8cc51a6.jpg

Data from Hundreds of millions of shots. No lies and,no pre and post back and shoulder injuries, no perfect conditions,no cart paths, no ego.... just ACTUAL AVERAGES across the board. #TheTruthHurts #ArccosKnows

651C0537-5433-430B-9553-191E5E653B6B.jpeg

17 hours ago, callawayjay said:

No one hits it as far as they think. They base it on what has happened once. 

I can't believe nowadays every golfer who plays a few times a month doesn't use a watch, phone or laser to get actual drive distance on a few holes. Obviously it ain't that hard to subtract distance on approach shot from distance read off the tee.

On 10/17/2020 at 9:54 AM, DavePelz4 said:

63 years old...and chose the 220-240 option.  Pulled up the Arccos numbers just to see and maybe I was a bit low.  Think the 314 yard drive was just caught perfect with perfect conditions but that only happens a few times a year.

Smart Distance and Range

223RANGE (LOW) 239SMART DISTANCE 266RANGE (HIGH)314LONGEST SHOT

... 67 yrs old and I just hit a 330 yd drive last week. 🤪 Combination of several things like first round with a SIM Max and R Flex Limited shaft but mostly it was the 35 mph winds with 45+ mph gusts and I caught one dead down wind. I have not sniffed 300 off the tee for quite a few years unless I am playing in Phoenix on a hard fast desert fairway. But here in the Midwest with constantly watered fairways I am in the 240-260 range although much more 240 than 260. When I had my Arccos grip on my Cobra F9 I was pretty consistently in the 240-250 range with a few over 260 but more under 240. 

... I know many like to make fun of golfers that say they average 300+ yds but I played with, of all things an Army recruiter that drove the ball 350-375 every hole. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would be calling BS and imagine some reading this will do just that. 5'10" and 180ish he had a very normal looking swing, not going past parallel and no radically fast hip turn, but his arms were just a blur from the top of his backswing through impact. And swinging that fast it was silly impressive he hit the center virtually every shot. The one thing that really stood out to me was how insanely high he hit his drives. Higher than anyone I have ever played with and it was impossible to follow his ball flight as it literally got lost in the clouds.  The only reason I bring this up is if this young man can hit it 350-375, someone averaging 300 is not so difficult to believe. They may few and far between but they are certainly out there. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

57 yoa, -.2 index. I was in the 300+ club until last year but still sit comfortably north of 280  and in the fairway 4 out of 5 times and rarely a big miss off the tee. 

JBeam Bullet 10*          Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 3WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 372 M5

Exotics CBX119 5WD   Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 7WD         Accra TZ5-85 M5
TaylorMade V-Steel 9WD   Accra TZ5-85 M5
MIURA CB57 6-PW  MCI MMT-125TX (SSx1)
MIURA Tour Milled 52 56 60 MMT-125TX Scoring Wedge

Bettinardi Tour DASS Minovai Flowneck Prototype

When you actually play with a guy who averages 300+ it's a real eye opener.

Played with one of those guys at our club a couple of weeks ago. He hit one on our 9th hole that carried a hill that I have never seen anyone even sniff. It hit in the rough and into an upslope so it had basically no roll.

GPS said that it went 328 so probably 320 in the air. No tail wind. If he had hit the fairway there was a pretty good chance it would have been on the green (365).

Cobra SZ 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra F9 Tour 4W : Tour AD TP 8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Nippon Modus3 105-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon 115-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Well I didn't add to the poll per rules, but thought I would add my numbers to the thread just for grins.  My women's index converted to men's puts me in the less than 6 category.  My average with the driver is 222 per Shotscope with a Pavg of 240.  At my home course how far I hit driver is largely irrelevant to my score so I don't spend a lot of time working on it.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, jomatty said:

I don’t think that is crazy.  Hockey seems an even better training ground for golf than baseball.  When I see GG teach about sitting into a shot and turning it always looks like a slap shot...baseball is a better starting point than nothing but hockey does seem optimal to me.

I think it's cause a hockey stick kind has a face, so have to learn to control the face angle. Baseball being round, doesn't offer that. You have to use the position of your hands and timing to control direction. That last part is problematic in golf until you learn to temper it. 

• Like 1
20 hours ago, jomatty said:

I don’t think that is crazy.  Hockey seems an even better training ground for golf than baseball.  When I see GG teach about sitting into a shot and turning it always looks like a slap shot...baseball is a better starting point than nothing but hockey does seem optimal to me.

I have only hit  few slap shots in my life but have done plenty of split grip work hitting golf balls and was also a high level baseball player and will agree that hitting slap shots does a better job of training the body how to lever a golf ball then the baseball swing does. I think the most important difference is the split grip itself.  Just because the hands are together on the club or baseball bat doesn't mean that they are working together.  Quite the contrary actually and the hands are actually working in opposition to each other and the slap shot easily shows this and this is the key to power.  In the slap shot the top hand is tryin to stop the handle while the bottom hand is trying to accelerate it and that is the key to creating leverage and speed. Trying to accelerate the handle of the club means that part of the speed is never transferred to the club and speed is lost because the sequence is broken.  

9 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I have only hit  few slap shots in my life but have done plenty of split grip work hitting golf balls and was also a high level baseball player and will agree that hitting slap shots does a better job of training the body how to lever a golf ball then the baseball swing does. I think the most important difference is the split grip itself.  Just because the hands are together on the club or baseball bat doesn't mean that they are working together.  Quite the contrary actually and the hands are actually working in opposition to each other and the slap shot easily shows this and this is the key to power.  In the slap shot the top hand is tryin to stop the handle while the bottom hand is trying to accelerate it and that is the key to creating leverage and speed. Trying to accelerate the handle of the club means that part of the speed is never transferred to the club and speed is lost because the sequence is broken.  

This is interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that and it makes sense. 

TS 3 8.5º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

Fun facts: I'm 41 years old. I was 10 MPH faster when I was 20 than I am now (up yours father time) but I'm longer off the tee now than I was then. The tech is a wonderful thing!

In '99, I had an 8º Great Big Bertha with their stock graphite X-stiff shaft and was playing a Titleist Professional 100

Now I have a 7.75º Titleist TS3, LAGP Tour AXS 70X and a ProV1x.  

In 1953, Ben Hogan hit Driver-4wood to the green on the 6th at Carnoustie. In 2013, I hit Driver-7 iron to the same hole from the same tees.

The times they are a-changin'

TS 3 8.5º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

54 minutes ago, The Mad Bomber said:

This is interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that and it makes sense. 

Oh that was my condensed explanation....the rabbit hole is really deep but I would have to start a completely different thread rather than go off on a tangent in someone else's thread !! I play golf right and left handed to a single 5 handicap and I play at 105 mph right handed and 125mph left handed and that taught me a ton as I switched from "Righty to Lefty" as my screen name states !! I don't think that tech is helping you out as much as you have learned how to get yourself in a better position in relation to the ball and lever it the more you play....that is golf in a nutshell.  Equipment has its place for sure but you can create more improvement than a club ever could I assure you. I have made youtube videos and everything that I use with my buddies so that we have a record of our findings.  

Edited by Righty to Lefty
16 hours ago, pktaske said:

I can't believe nowadays every golfer who plays a few times a month doesn't use a watch, phone or laser to get actual drive distance on a few holes. Obviously it ain't that hard to subtract distance on approach shot from distance read off the tee.

I use a gps app. But even still I don’t hit it as far as I think I do. The older I’ve become it’s less and less. I have a buddy who is two clubs less with irons than I am but only 30 yards more than me with the driver am I handicapped is still lower. I think it my very best I might’ve been able to hit it to 60 but it’s really only about 230 as I approach 60 years old

On 10/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

We here lol.

I really want to know if Canadians hit it further on average. Serious question, laugh away if you want. All the boys that grew up playing puck in the winter and golf in the summer seem to be able to really move it. We have 7 WLDC's from our tiny little population and all the numbers on that survey seem low for the guys I play with.

Food for thought. Maybe I'm off my meds.

I'm in Minnesota, see the same thing here.  The hockey players I've played with have almost universally been able to bring it.

Even played once with a 12 year old boy, who was not Andy Reid size, he was hitting it to the 150 stake on a 409 yd par 4.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

Sadly, most wont know their average. Most will want to use the average of their “good” drives. Those weak slices and heel shots really lose distance and most wont include this in their average.

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5”
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s
Callaway Apex CF19  5-A w/KBS $-Taper 120
Cleveland RTX 54*
Cleveland RTX 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Garmin g6/Precision Pro Nx7 Pro slope
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/838786-cwings-witb-2013/
https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 10/17/2020 at 2:14 AM, jomatty said:

Guys in the NHL have crazy strong core and quad strength.  Being a personal trainer, I trained with an NHL forward almost 10 years ago.  Although his upper body strength was modest, his squat, deadlift and weighted crunches strength were off the charts.  He was 6'3, 210 but he was strong as an ox. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4-PW w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+

58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Newport 1

Snell MTB-X

14 hours ago, Cwing said:

Sadly, most wont know their average. Most will want to use the average of their “good” drives. Those weak slices and heel shots really lose distance and most wont include this in their average.

Isn't that really what they are after though, the average of your 'normal straight' shot (for lack of a better term)? My raw drive average is probably like 200 some days if you start adding those crazy pull hooks. No one gives their average 7 iron distance of 110 yards because they include the times they chunk it 30 yards.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, pktaske said:

Isn't that really what they are after though, the average of your 'normal straight' shot (for lack of a better term)? My raw drive average is probably like 200 some days if you start adding those crazy pull hooks. No one gives their average 7 iron distance of 110 yards because they include the times they chunk it 30 yards.

I wonder why folks keep bringing up points like these, that generally relate to the overall golf public that plays half a dozen times per year or less, and try to apply them to the WRX population.

I would have thought it obvious by now that golf forumites are not exactly representative of the general golf public.  We are the lunatic fringe of golf, I don't think we should forget that.

Speaking to the point of the post you responded to....  I used to keep my own average, verified with a combination of laser, GPS, and even Google Earth.  I no longer do it, but since I'm playing the exact same course I've been playing since 2008, I have a fair idea my generalized info is reasonably accurate.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr
cuz I added stuff
  • Like 1

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S

5 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I wonder why folks keep bringing up points like these, that generally relate to the overall golf public that plays half a dozen times per year or less, and try to apply them to the WRX population.

I would have thought it obvious by now that golf forumites are not exactly representative of the general golf public.  We are the lunatic fringe of golf, I don't think we should forget that.

You've confirmed my suspicion that this was always about golfers..

Edited by pktaske
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, pktaske said:

I feel old now.  I've owned that in multiple media formats....

• Like 2

On 10/17/2020 at 12:04 PM, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

Data from Hundreds of millions of shots. No lies and,no pre and post back and shoulder injuries, no perfect conditions,no cart paths, no ego.... just ACTUAL AVERAGES across the board. #TheTruthHurts #ArccosKnows

651C0537-5433-430B-9553-191E5E653B6B.jpeg

Curious, how does Arccos account for penalty shots? On my course, there's a few dog legs that have a water carry. If you try to cut it off too much, you end up in the water and have to take a drop 60 yards in front of the tee box. Or there's other holes where you can lose it 200 yards down the fairway. Does it include all of those in the averages or does it exclude penalty shots? 

On 10/16/2020 at 7:35 PM, cardoustie said:

Where’s all the bombers that fly it 3 hundo?

Passsh not me

(I only have a video of a 293 carry 😞 )

Hummmmmmblebragggggg

Edited by MtlJeff
  • Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic SubZero 13 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

You big hitters need to come to Laramie, Wyoming (U of Wyo), and tee it up at 7,200 feet elevation with 15% humidity in the warm summer months.  Then you can really distort this survey!

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green
Taylormade M2 2017 HL 16.5 w/GD Tour AD DI stiff
TEE e8 22 & 25 hybrids/Recoil 460 F3

Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro's 5-PW/Nippon Modus 105
Snake Eyes 52 gap Rifle 5.0
Corey Paul forged 56 sand Rifle 5.0

TP Mills Sycamore
Spaulding TPM VIII
MannKrafted MA/99

• easyyy unfeatured this topic