Jump to content

2020 LPGA Drive On Championship - Reynolds Lake Oconee


18majors
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yealimi Noh is paired with Christina Kim and Lydia Ko for Round 3.  Lydia's record needs no introduction, but Christina Kim is also a three times tour winner.

 

I can't be sure, but this may be the first time Yealimi is paired with Lydia.  She can learn a lot because nobody, men or women, has won more as a teenager.

 

Yealimi has made 2 eagles and 8 birdies in 2 rounds; which is equivalent to leader Ally McDonald, who's made 12 birdies.  But Yealimi has made 6 bogeys and a triple, compared to Ally's 2 bogeys.

 

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mallrat said:

Is something going on with Lexi? Just seems like she hasn’t been relevant this year. Now that doesn’t mean she has taken over Michelle Wie’s airtime but her play just seems off and not just her putting. 
 

Speaking of, any word on if Wie is ever gonna come back?

 

 

Michelle Wie has signed up to play 2020 US Women's Open in Houston scheduled for December 10-13.  We'll see if she shows up.

 

Lexi hasn't played like a world beater, but she finished fourth at ANA; that's an consolation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mallrat said:

Is something going on with Lexi? Just seems like she hasn’t been relevant this year. Now that doesn’t mean she has taken over Michelle Wie’s airtime but her play just seems off and not just her putting. 
 

Speaking of, any word on if Wie is ever gonna come back?

Seems like Lexi is more interested in making money off the course than improving her game these days (which is fine/her choice).  She could turn it around but I wouldn't count on it.  Her exceptional distance advantage is gone and it seems like she was never able to improve the weaker parts of her game enough to really take it to the next level (i.e. dust the competition week after week) or now remain a top competitor with her advantage somewhat neutralized.

 

Never a fan but her 7 year win streak is impressive.  Maybe she will get another big win at the ANA one of these years.  Possibly she should already have two...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Lydia Ko ball striking has gone AWOL, hitting 10 fairways and 12 greens; Sean Foley hasn't been a panacea as hoped. 

 

Will be interesting to see where she ends up over the next 12-24 months.  I guess one week she put 71 good holes together.  Outside of that, she's definitely looked better but has struggled to put 4 solid rounds together.  Possibly she doesn't fully trust it yet and/or getting nervous when she thinks about winning (lovely personality but she probably wants to shove a win in everyone's face given the rollercoaster ride the last few years).

 

Her and In Gee are playing better with an improved attitude/mind.  But the days of being top 5 players, even at their best, may have passed.  We will see.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

Will be interesting to see where she ends up over the next 12-24 months.  I guess one week she put 71 good holes together.  Outside of that, she's definitely looked better but has struggled to put 4 solid rounds together.  Possibly she doesn't fully trust it yet and/or getting nervous when she thinks about winning (lovely personality but she probably wants to shove a win in everyone's face given the rollercoaster ride the last few years).

 

Her and In Gee are playing better with an improved attitude/mind.  But the days of being top 5 players, even at their best, may have passed.  We will see.

 

With players like Bianca Pagdanganan and Maria Fassi, who're almost 30 yards longer than average players, LPGA is changing in front of our own eyes.

Maria is 22 and in her second year, Bianca is a rookie who will be 23 next week; they're almost 10 yards longer than the longest drivers of past years.

 

In Gee, Lydia, So Yeon and Minjee may or may not have what it'll take to compete with these young guns.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 18majors said:

 

With players like Bianca Pagdanganan and Maria Fassi, who're almost 30 yards longer than average players, LPGA is changing in front of our own eyes.

Maria is 22 and in her second year, Bianca is a rookie who will be 23 next week; they're almost 10 yards longer than the longest drivers of past years.

 

In Gee, Lydia, So Yeon and Minjee may or may not have what it'll take to compete with these young guns.

Length is one thing, but if those 2 you mentioned keep improving their iron play (for Bianca) and Putting (for Fassi), there's the magic formula... I know both consider one another as rivals ... though tv media touted it always as Kupcho vs Fassi during their amateur days... 

 

The So Yeons and InGees will also face their "stiffer" competition vs the Yealimis, Yui's, Matilda's and Andrea Lee's of future years... Not to mention the Yuka's, Lucy and Attayas... Minjee is still ok, as her age relative to experience is her advantage in the near term... Plus I think she's long enough... Of course JYK, SYK are still a class of their own, never mind the queen bee...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

 

Lydia Ko ball striking has gone AWOL, hitting 10 fairways and 12 greens; Sean Foley hasn't been a panacea as hoped. 

 

 

Work in progress. At least she's now in the mix.

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lot's of good scores out there, so I'm surprised that the cut was at +3. I guess a combination of an unknown course, along with tricky greens, can lead to plenty of bogies. 

 

It's been a while since Ariya has been in the hunt. She has more missed cuts this year than top 10's.

 

Much, much too early to write off Lexi. Her GIRs and putts per GIR are down slightly from last season, but not significantly. Her proximity to the hole seems to be off, though. 'Doesn't seem to be stuffing as many wedges close. As for the money list, only two of 23 players ranked higher than her have played fewer events this season. Fifteen players above her have played two or more events than her. 

 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2020 at 7:39 AM, tbowles411 said:

I've played this course.  It was outstanding.  Just gorgeous!

Yep, it was a fun day. Everything at Reynolds Plantation and TM Kingdom are flrst class.

Edited by br61
  • Like 2

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM2 Max 9* XC-6 stiff

Adams Speedline 9032Ti 18

ancient Adams Idea Pro 20*, 23* & 26*

TM P770 5-PW DG 120 X100 SS

MG3 46, 52HB & 58HB DG 120 X100 SS

Odyssey 2Ball Ten Broomstick 46" putter

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And the Ann van Dam roller coaster continues! With 3 holes to play, she stands at 3 under on her round and proceeds to make bogey, double bogey and triple bogey to shoot 3 over! Sounds like something I would do.       Except for the 3 under part. 

 

With 6 double bogeys and a triple bogey in this tournament, she is still "only" 3 over par.

Edited by North Texas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course I mentioned Ariya and now she's over par for the day. 

 

My pick of Ally is looking good at the moment, but Danielle is in the mix. Can't count her out these days. Bianca is in a good spot to grab her first win early in her career. 

  • Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Of course I mentioned Ariya and now she's over par for the day. 

 

My pick of Ally is looking good at the moment, but Danielle is in the mix. Can't count her out these days. Bianca is in a good spot to grab her first win early in her career. 

 

I think Ally is hungry enough and determined to win ... and I'd put her as my favourite (narrowly) to win tomorrow ... but I would not be surprised in the least to see Bianca go low tomorrow for the win.  They will be in the final grouping so they will be able to keep an eye on each other and Bianca is one heck of a "hungry" and determined player too.  Her iron game has been very solid this week, and so long as she doesn't get overly aggressive and makes the right decisions tomorrow, she will put plenty of pressure on Ally and Danielle.  Danielle could very well be the one stalking the leaders tomorrow and if anyone of Ally or Bianca have a few missteps along the way, Danielle could capitalize.  Kang's iron play is her "weak spot" at the moment ... but her short game and getting up and down has been helping her stay in it.  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Supermilo said:

It's too close to call, anyone from top to even T6 is able to win this tomorrow... Out of my 6 (3 vets: Buhai, Minjee, Tan; 3 rooks: Pagdanganan, Moore, Lee) picks earlier - only one is in contention... I didn't even give a chance to Pagdanganan to win it... 

 

 

This's unfair, Bianca easily teed off 300 yards at her 80-90 % throttle; she's playing a different course than the rest of the field.  The race is still close only because of her kindness of missing several short putts.

 

This's worse than Bryson DeChambeau dumping PGA Tour; at least Matt Wolff or Cameron Champ can keep Bryson honest distance wise.

 

The rest of LPGA need to run for covers; Bianca Pagdanganan has arrived!

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yealimi Noh shot -3 on Par 5 yesterday and -3 for the round.  She shot another -3 today, but she was +2 on Par 5.

 

One thing about Yealimi is that she's resilient, making 11 out 12 cuts this season.  But, her hole to hole and round to round inconsistency befits a 19 years girl; which she's.

 

Yealimi finally will be paired with Hannah Green again, it should bring up that vivid memory of losing her last four holes to lose the 2019 Cambia by one.  Hope both of them play well tomorrow!

 

 

 

 

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, 18majors said:

 

 

This's unfair, Bianca easily teed off 300 yards at her 80-90 % throttle; she's playing a different course than the rest of the field.  The race is still close only because of her kindness of missing several short putts.

 

This's worse than Bryson DeChambeau dumping PGA Tour; at least Matt Wolff or Cameron Champ can keep Bryson honest distance wise.

 

The rest of LPGA need to run for covers; Bianca Pagdanganan has arrived!

 

 

 

Well, there's nerves /trying too hard for a first time rookie on the last flight...  those putts were a sign of it today... we will find out tomorrow if she's a quick learner - either way, she's shown she belongs, no doubt bout it now... The good thing about her is, as those commentators said, her fiery competitiveness.  DK with her on that flight is a better fit (vs say a Ciganda) for tomorrow's last flight, I think...  (had DK missed that last putt on the 18th, Ciganda would be in it - and Argonne would be super ticked with the slow play - Bianca's a fast player in my own recollection LOL).  Bianca already said she wants to play with DK in an interview in recent past - well, she got what she wished for... on two consecutive days, at that!

 

Yealimi ended with a -3 for the day, no diff than the leaders... I think, crudely using results YTD, Yealimi, Andrea, and Yui have already proven themselves as worthy rookies - Bianca's finally gotten her irons dialled in so you're seeing the results lately...  I haven't followed Leona enough on the Symetra tour last year but clearly she's a gamer too...  Patty is, well, being Patty it seems - sometimes, attitude needs improvement too... 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, 18majors said:

 

With players like Bianca Pagdanganan and Maria Fassi, who're almost 30 yards longer than average players, LPGA is changing in front of our own eyes.

Maria is 22 and in her second year, Bianca is a rookie who will be 23 next week; they're almost 10 yards longer than the longest drivers of past years.

 

In Gee, Lydia, So Yeon and Minjee may or may not have what it'll take to compete with these young guns.


Maria needs to work on keeping her drives in the fairway. It doesn’t matter how far she hits it if she’s constantly in the rough.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, fredogolfer said:


Maria needs to work on keeping her drives in the fairway. It doesn’t matter how far she hits it if she’s constantly in the rough.

 

 

Maria will learn soon, like Bianca, she doesn't need to go 100% throttle on every drive.

Maria can outdrive all but two other players if she goes 90% on her driver.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, North Texas said:

And the Ann van Dam roller coaster continues! With 3 holes to play, she stands at 3 under on her round and proceeds to make bogey, double bogey and triple bogey to shoot 3 over! Sounds like something I would do.       Except for the 3 under part. 

 

With 6 double bogeys and a triple bogey in this tournament, she is still "only" 3 over par.


And if the statistics on the LPGA leaderboard are correct, she took 44 whacks with her putter today!🤭  That must have been traumatizing for her playing partners to watch! 😲

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the first good look I've had of Bianca's game since the '18 NCAA Championship. Wow. Color me impressed. If her putter ever warms up she'll be a force. Effortless power, and very good iron play. We'll see how she holds up under the pressure tomorrow.

 

Danielle is a joy to watch on the course, even when she's making mistakes. Her reactions are entertaining as heck. Her mental toughness has become her #1 weapon. Doubles bogies the 16th with an uncharacteristic mistake, but steadies the ship. Even if she doesn't win tomorrow, it's very clear she's become the player many thought she would be.

 

Another excellent day for Ally, but she had to work for it. Only 11 greens today vs 13 yesterday, and 17 on Thursday. Will that bogie on the 17th come back to bite her, though? 

 

Realistically it's probably down to a 5 player race. Ariya, Brittany, and Mina would have to go crazy low, and still need help from the frontrunners. 'Should be a great final round.

 

  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The announcers better practice pronouncing Bianca's last name cuz they'll be saying it a lot pretty soon..

They'll probably give her a catchy moniker soon enough...

...."Bianca P" or just "BP" seems the easiest for now..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jmvargas said:

The announcers better practice pronouncing Bianca's last name cuz they'll be saying it a lot pretty soon..

They'll probably give her a catchy moniker soon enough...

...."Bianca P" or just "BP" seems the easiest for now..

Hmmmmm.... I recall that the board was just debating a few weeks back on B1 or B2 ... Referring to Brooke Henderson on the "1" and Bianca on the "2". There's already B-Nom going around btw (B-Nom, phenom) 

 

There's gold gems in those intl mines - just need to look deep.  I'm sure @18majorsconcurs... We should start learning to pronounce Atthiya T. By 2022 🙂

 

Here's an "observation": Bianca's putting is a strength since Ianello improved it to suit North Am greens... Wedge/Iron play has improved the past few weeks due to practice? Maybe ? You guys decide whether the courses in Aronimink and Oconee help a so-so iron player (but a bomber and solid putter) or not (vs Walmart, Cambia, as comparison 😉 ... Am truly curious if it's the increased focus on the irons or it's that the courses are more suited to her playing style? (Or in my view, she's just gotten the hang of it now and well, she's no rook anymore, at least in terms of competing day in day out...) Hope they continue to give this girl the opportunity to play...

Edited by Supermilo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...