New Apex Mb vs. Blueprint (which would you pick?)

Hey guys just putting out feelers. I am putting together my “gamer bag for when I am feeling froggy” I would like your feedback. I know that price wise they are similar and even tech wise probably very close. Thanks for your input!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd personally go with Blueprint, those are some of the best looking irons at address with barely any offset and a tiny topline. 

blueprint over the new apex mb's after demoing both.  slightly better feel on the pings imo.   I still prefer the '18 mb.  Im not liking that screw in the back. 

I'll likely never own either, but I admit the Blueprints hold more appeal to me.   

I'd personally go with Blueprint, those are some of the best looking irons at address with barely any offset and a tiny topline. 

• Like 3

Ping G410 Plus 10.5° - VA Nemesys 6S

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Srixon Z 785 3-6 - PX LZ 6.0

Srixon Z-Forged 7-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX 4 50° Mid, 54° Mid, 60° Low - S400 TI

Ping Anser 2 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

First, I'd check the bounce on ApexMB. ApexMB and Blueprint appear quite similar, except Blueprint has IMO a lot of bounce.  Though they look good, that alone would keep me from buying them.  I like Blueprints limited offset, compared to much more offset of ApexMB. 

Ping might offer more custom options than Callaway, which isn't known for custom work for retail customers.   I'd want less bounce on Blueprint and to know what the bounce is on ApexMB.  As it is blueprint might be the better club due to Ping offering custom adjustments.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i95cw
  • Titleist 620 CB&MB - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5; SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC California Monterey
  • ProV1 or AVX

thats a rock and a hard place question for me.

im a Cally fan boy 100% through & through, but i have seen the Blueprint and like the poster above stated the iron is just beautiful to behold, Ping hit a home-run on that model.

from the pre-release pics the new Apex MB does look stunning also, the 18' was a very nice looking iron also.

both are great looking clubs.

Ping G ∎ Ping G400 2H ∎ Ping G 4H ∎ X-Forged UT ∎ Apex Pro '19 4-AW ∎ PM Grind 2.0 ∎ MD5 Jaws ∎ Scotty Newport 3

Blueprint

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
Titleist U510 1 Iron 16° w/ Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 9X
Titleist U510 2 Iron 18° w/ PX 6.0
Titleist 680 MB 3-PW w/ DG X100
TaylorMade MG2 TW 56°, 60° w/ DGS400
Odyssey White Hot Tour 7H 33"

The 2018 Apex MB is superior to both in overall package IMO. Much better feeling than the ping. Also disagree with the above regarding bounce - the sole is so incredibly thin on the Blueprint that it’s necessary unless you’re playing in the desert. I’ve hit them and they shred the turf. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Aldila Rogue 130MSI 60x

Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Callaway Apex '19 20* Veylix Rome 988 90x

Titleist U500 4i Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist T100 5i-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100  |  Miura CB-57 4i-7i, MB-001 8i-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist JDM Forged 51F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM8 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Toulon Austin 34" | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro V1x or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

I've owned and played both and as much as I like a very small head(6 sets of baby Blades), my vote goes to the Apex MB's. Much better feel and almost too easy to hit. Pings for me left me wanting more. Not that they didn't perform, but they checked only 1 box and that was small. The rest was....meh

Another vote here for Apex MB.  The ‘18 were some the best feeling irons of the release cycle.  Not difficult to hit either, being a blade and all.

I know the screw in the back of the new ones can be off putting for some, but I like what Callaway is doing with swing weight options for retail.  They definitely have my attention.

For the BP, it took me a little while during the demo to really appreciate the feel.  At first it felt firmer, but after about 15 swings it started to feel really good and solid.  Shape is great as well.  These things are so personal.

I say pick the shape you like best at address.  You will adjust to the feel the more you play them.

Titleist TS3 8.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder vc 6.2

Titleist TS3 15* Diamana S+ ltd Blueboard 70s tipped 1"

Titleist U500 2i Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 9.8 hb

Callaway Apex Pro Double Dot 4-pw Accra i steel 125

Vokey Raw SM8 50F, 54S, 58S (custom grind) Nippon Modus 125 wedge

Cushman Custom C&C 1.0 Raw Carbon KBS CT Tour Matte Black, Golf Pride Pro Only Red * or

Mizuno M Craft Type 1 Satin  Stability Tour Shaft, Golf Pride Pro Only Green*

Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 10/17/2020 at 5:23 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

The 2018 Apex MB is superior to both in overall package IMO. Much better feeling than the ping. Also disagree with the above regarding bounce - the sole is so incredibly thin on the Blueprint that it’s necessary unless you’re playing in the desert. I’ve hit them and they shred the turf. 

1. 2018 Apex MB

2 Blueprint

3. New Apex MB

The 2018 MB is sweet and not difficult to hit. 

I'm another one who would go '18 Apex MB over the Ping.  Had S55 and BP sets in the past.  Haven't tried the new version Apex sorry, but I still own the Apex.  Had 4 different shafts in them, all with great sound/feel and results.  Played them this morning actually 😁

SIM 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+, 46"
M5 15*, Graphite Design AD-DI 8X, 43"
PXG Gen 2 22*, Accra TZx M5, 40"

HMB 4i (22*) Modus 125X
MP20 5-P, Modus 130X
T20 50*7, 54*8,60*6 Modus Wedge 125
Toulon San Diego 33.5"
Srixon XV, or Tour BX/S 

Occasionally throw in a DI over the hybrid, 3i HMB (18*) KBS Proto 85X

I'll likely never own either, but I admit the Blueprints hold more appeal to me. 

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

Had the Callaway MB 18's for 2 seasons, they were great irons, clean look, the new weighted version, not feeling it.

Having not tried the Pings,  but now that they have been out, would be worth a test drive, 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

Had the Callaways for a bit and loved them, but I would be picking the Pings myself. 
Callaways were lovely, but I hit the Pings and fell in love! Beautiful head shape, smaller profile to the Callaways for sure.

Having said that, I ended up in the Wilson Staffs! Also, the new Apex MB have just been announced, so don't know what they are like?

Callaway Mavrik Project X HZRDUS Smoke
Ping G410 3 Wood
Taylormade SIM UDI / Titleist TS2 18 
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Taylormade MG2 50, 54, 60
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Stock / Byron Morgan DH89
Jones Utility Trouper
Full bag here

If I'm playing blades it wouldn't be either but if I had to choose between the two it would be the Pings by a mile. At least the Pings only have a small wart (screw) on the toe 

Titleist TS2
Titleist 917 F2 3 wood
Ping Anser 20,
Wilson V6's  3-GW
Ping Glide
58*ES

Bettinardi Queen B 6

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who has played almost every Ping iron set since the i3+. I'd go with the Apex irons. I don't love the screw in the back but I don't mind it. It will be like anything else, you will get used to it and it will be the new normal. The apex feel softer and thus better (to me). I love the look of the BP is phenomenal but the softness of strike in the Apex is so appealing to me. Based on all the previous testing of the 18 Apex irons, I think these are likely to be a touch longer than most blades on the market. They always seemed to have an extra 4-5 yards in them. Obviously, that's not a concern when playing blades, but it's nice to have if all else is equal. I continue to see how Callaway is viewed as the lowest on the totem pole of "the big 4" club makers. Unfortunately, I think a lot of that comes from their marketing team. I've played a lot of Callaway woods over the years and I can say that without a doubt, their customer service is as good, or better, than any other manufacturer out there. Ultimately, buy what you like, not what you think will impress people. 🙂 

Thanks for the replies so far! I think I will like either since I have played both companies. At this moment, I am leaning towards the blueprint solely on the finish and since it’s harder metal the durability may be a touch better. But then I know the apex are probably going to feel softer. But I play a Tour BXS and makes almost any iron feel softer. 

I would like for this thread to keep going and once I decide I will be sure to update and post what I ended up getting. 

8 hours ago, geakins said:

Thanks for the replies so far! I think I will like either since I have played both companies. At this moment, I am leaning towards the blueprint solely on the finish and since it’s harder metal the durability may be a touch better. But then I know the apex are probably going to feel softer. But I play a Tour BXS and makes almost any iron feel softer. 

I would like for this thread to keep going and once I decide I will be sure to update and post what I ended up getting. 

Good call on the durability. I’ve always loved the durability of a Ping iron. You really can’t go wrong with either. I believe the Apex is more satin finished this year as well but will obviously be softer metal and less durable. Good luck and look forward to hearing your thoughts once you get the sticks.  

I ordered some Ping Blueprints yesterday. 4-9 iron. 4-5 weeks wait time. 

I am Scottish Links and Texas golf and the narrow soles were perfect even although they had more bounce than my 919 Tours.

I was shocked how easy the Blueprints were to hit and previous to my G410 driver I was anti Ping guy. 

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 UDI C taper X
  • Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 4-9 C taper X
  • Artisan 46*, 50* C taper X
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217
28 minutes ago, av1084 said:

How are people feeling about the 3-5 irons in Blueprint?  I have MP20 MBs and love them, but the 4 iron is not great for me unless it's off a tee or a flat lie.  5 iron is fine.  3 iron has been converted into a kitchen utensil...

All depends on your individual ball striking abilities. I was playing 2-PW and just had a ton of confidence with them, ball striking never suffered unless it was cold days with restrictive clothing. Wish i hadn't sold my Blueprints, I will have another set soon I hope. 

• Like 1