PXG Gunboat vs Blackjack

golfer20

Been playing with a PXG Gunboat Gen 1 putter with good results. Thinking of up grading to Gen 2 putter? Trying to decide  between Gunboat or the new Blackjack putter. Welcome some feed back from anyone who has tried the new putter. Heard the face on the Gen 2 is a upgrade? I need all the help the putter can give me.

I can let you know once I receive the Blackjack, ordered on Monday. I've been playing the Gunboat H since it came out with great results. By far the most balanced putter I have ever used.

Only reason I ordered the Blackjack is basically the looks of it, love it so hopefully it rolls just as good.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Anymore updates on this. I miss my Gunboat. Putted like crap since I sold it like an idiot. 

Get the One and Done. Slightly smaller than my Gunboat H but same shape. Difference is the alignment aids, makes lining up both long/short putts super easy and confidently.

4 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

Get the One and Done. Slightly smaller than my Gunboat H but same shape. Difference is the alignment aids, makes lining up both long/short putts super easy and confidently.

Noooooo. Stop... I did not see this post!!!! Wish PXG didn’t take so long to deliver orders. Can’t be without a putter too long. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Noooooo. Stop... I did not see this post!!!! Wish PXG didn’t take so long to deliver orders. Can’t be without a putter too long. 

What did you order and when??

2 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

I have to echo this take on the One & Done.  Being the club ho that I am, I have the following PXG Putters - Lucky D, BlackJack, Bat Attack, One & Done, Mini GunBoat (2 lengths).  I have a green in my backyard and putt a lot out there.

For me the One & Done is awesome.  When I first saw it, I thought it was hideous.  I would not have bought it if they had not dropped it in price.  Well, I got it and it is solidly in the bag.  For me the alignment aids are awesome.  The bigger thing for me is if it soles correctly on the green.  I can not handle when you set the putter down and it rotates way or another.  Yes that means length and lie need to be right.  I like everything about this putter.  The Lankin Sink Fit grip has really grown on me as well - really shown me that I can not putt with a small grip - has to be more midsize.  The One & Done is super stable on slight mishits.

All the PXG putters are very solid and the differences are slight, The One & Done is at the top for me right now.

The Bat Attack is the only double bend PXG hosel I have.  It is pretty stable as well.  I like the alignment aids on this one a lot and it has a different sound than the other putters - I believe it is the fangs vibrating instead of the more one piece shapes of the other putters.  The BA is a great putter - the fangs make it stable through impact.

The BJ has a slightly thinner face - like by 1/16" but I can sense it - I think I have an issue with an up and down mis on my putting strike and this shows up with the BJ. The head seems to really provide a solid hit when stuck in the center of the face.  If you miss it high or low you can feel it.  Not a bad thing unless you have a wider up/down strike pattern.  I think if you use just that putter this becomes a non-issue because you would adjust with the feedback provided.  The ball comes off the face very nicely.  The alignment aid is pretty cool - just a solid white line.  The contrast of the black head and the gray colored tungsten is cool as well.  This is not a loud looking putter

Having said all of this - I think I could putt with any of these putters and be fine.  I keep vowing to thin the herd so my gamers would be fewer and I could rotate more easily.  If you have any specific questions, let me know.

• Like 1

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

22 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

I have to echo this take on the One & Done.  Being the club ho that I am, I have the following PXG Putters - Lucky D, BlackJack, Bat Attack, One & Done, Mini GunBoat (2 lengths).  I have a green in my backyard and putt a lot out there.

For me the One & Done is awesome.  When I first saw it, I thought it was hideous.  I would not have bought it if they had not dropped it in price.  Well, I got it and it is solidly in the bag.  For me the alignment aids are awesome.  The bigger thing for me is if it soles correctly on the green.  I can not handle when you set the putter down and it rotates way or another.  Yes that means length and lie need to be right.  I like everything about this putter.  The Lankin Sink Fit grip has really grown on me as well - really shown me that I can not putt with a small grip - has to be more midsize.  The One & Done is super stable on slight mishits.

All the PXG putters are very solid and the differences are slight, The One & Done is at the top for me right now.

The Bat Attack is the only double bend PXG hosel I have.  It is pretty stable as well.  I like the alignment aids on this one a lot and it has a different sound than the other putters - I believe it is the fangs vibrating instead of the more one piece shapes of the other putters.  The BA is a great putter - the fangs make it stable through impact.

The BJ has a slightly thinner face - like by 1/16" but I can sense it - I think I have an issue with an up and down mis on my putting strike and this shows up with the BJ. The head seems to really provide a solid hit when stuck in the center of the face.  If you miss it high or low you can feel it.  Not a bad thing unless you have a wider up/down strike pattern.  I think if you use just that putter this becomes a non-issue because you would adjust with the feedback provided.  The ball comes off the face very nicely.  The alignment aid is pretty cool - just a solid white line.  The contrast of the black head and the gray colored tungsten is cool as well.  This is not a loud looking putter

Having said all of this - I think I could putt with any of these putters and be fine.  I keep vowing to thin the herd so my gamers would be fewer and I could rotate more easily.  If you have any specific questions, let me know.

How big is your green and how much was it. If both my boys (6.5 and 2.5) take to the game then I'll install one at some point.

48 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

What did you order and when??

Not a putter. Ordered 2 0311 Forged wedges and after 3 weeks of constantly checking tier website for my order and it showing in Final Inspection, I called and they said “Oh, they have been ready for 2 weeks”. I was not happy. 

Getting ready to order a O&D... unless I buy GetitDaily’s Blackjack. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

53 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

The blackjack and one &done are very similar in their stroke tendencies...very similar. One & done has more weight back but the blackjack can have weight added back. Other than weighting, the primary difference is alignment (I know, duh). Really comes down to your own alignment tendencies and needs. I thought the one & done would be "so much that I won't use any of them" but there was just too much going on. I couldn't figure out what line(s) to use. The blackjack was more simple and easy. I putted them side by side Tuesday for about 30 minutes. If, hypothetically, I ended up in a one & done then I would black out the circle and the top line leaving just the two longer flange lines. But the one & done has no toe hang in the pn hosel, so no hypothetical coming true.

• Like 1

For me.. the Gunboat was the best at alignment being all back with the one white line. Like a true GolfWrxer I sold it after a good season and a half with it. 

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

49 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

How big is your green and how much was it. If both my boys (6.5 and 2.5) take to the game then I'll install one at some point.

Its roughly 15 x 30, but it is not rectangular, it was shaped to be like a peanut shaped golf green.  The bit that was done for me was $12,500.  But I added another 450 square feet around the green for chipping and to be able to land shots short and run them up.  So maybe $16k total.  I use the hell out of it.  I also got a 10 x 10 x 10 hitting cage and mat from DW Quail.  I have never practiced as much as I did this past year.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

For me.. the Gunboat was the best at alignment being all back with the one white line. Like a true GolfWrxer I sold it after a good season and a half with it. 

Haha - is that a disease because I have it as well.  I have done that so many times and when I look back I hake my head and wonder what is wrong me 🙂 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

My O&D was at my door in 12 days from order receipt.  

• Thanks 1

PXG BO Tour-1 10.5° - Ventus Blue Velocore -or-

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 11.5°- Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 15° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 18° - Tensei AV Raw White

PXG 0311 BO 22° - Tensei AV Raw White
PXG BLE 0317T - 5-PW - Project X
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 50°

Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack - PX - 54°
LAB DF3 - Accra Black -or-

LAB Link.1 - Accra Black

Well, after looking at funds I am having to go with a regular Gen2 putter instead of the O&D😩. Trying to decide between the Gunboat and Bat Attack. 

I was fit for the Gunboat when the Gen2 first came out and putted great with it for a season and a half. Sold it for some reason. I was then fit for the Spitfire, but never pulled the trigger because I could not get over the look. 

In both fittings I loved the Bat Attack. Can’t decide Gunboat or Bat Attack this go around. I am a SBST guy and love stable mallets. 

Any inputs?

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

20 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Well, after looking at funds I am having to go with a regular Gen2 putter instead of the O&D😩. Trying to decide between the Gunboat and Bat Attack. 

I was fit for the Gunboat when the Gen2 first came out and putted great with it for a season and a half. Sold it for some reason. I was then fit for the Spitfire, but never pulled the trigger because I could not get over the look. 

In both fittings I loved the Bat Attack. Can’t decide Gunboat or Bat Attack this go around. I am a SBST guy and love stable mallets. 

Any inputs?

Man - this gives me an idea - GolfWRX needs to create their own method of putting together a Go Fund a Ho system where we can chip in to fund a Ho purchase 🙂   That would be very cool.

I have the Mini Gunboat and the Bat Attack.  I did not try the Gunboat because it looked like a boat to me - I do not like massive looking putters.  The Bat Attack makes me think of Batman every time I look at it.  I also did not like the look of it, but saw a great deal on eBay and pulled the trigger.

The BA is a very cool putter - super stable and a nice tall face, that is not that wide side-to-side.  The face is about 25 x 75 mm.  It has always struck me as a putter that likes to stay and is hard to rotate offline.  The Mini GB is far more easily rotated offline.

I think that is due to the weight positioning.  The rearward weights in the Mini GB are in the center, while the BAs two weights are towards the back and in the fangs.  I only have 2 10g weights in the BA as well, while the Mini GB has a ton of weights in there - most being 20g.

The piece that connects the fangs is super thin and aids in the feel IMO, and you can scoop balls off the green 🙂  The BA is a cool putter IMO.  I do really like the Mini GB as well - mainly because I putt well with it.

Hope that helps a little

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

Man - this gives me an idea - GolfWRX needs to create their own method of putting together a Go Fund a Ho system where we can chip in to fund a Ho purchase 🙂   That would be very cool.

I have the Mini Gunboat and the Bat Attack.  I did not try the Gunboat because it looked like a boat to me - I do not like massive looking putters.  The Bat Attack makes me think of Batman every time I look at it.  I also did not like the look of it, but saw a great deal on eBay and pulled the trigger.

The BA is a very cool putter - super stable and a nice tall face, that is not that wide side-to-side.  The face is about 25 x 75 mm.  It has always struck me as a putter that likes to stay and is hard to rotate offline.  The Mini GB is far more easily rotated offline.

I think that is due to the weight positioning.  The rearward weights in the Mini GB are in the center, while the BAs two weights are towards the back and in the fangs.  I only have 2 10g weights in the BA as well, while the Mini GB has a ton of weights in there - most being 20g.

The piece that connects the fangs is super thin and aids in the feel IMO, and you can scoop balls off the green 🙂  The BA is a cool putter IMO.  I do really like the Mini GB as well - mainly because I putt well with it.

Hope that helps a little

Haha. You are awesome! Spent way too much at the end of 2020 on PXG clubs. Big PXG fan and will end up with an entire PXG bag.

The info in the BA was really helpful. I always gravitated to it during my fittings. I have played so much golf this past year and really in tune with my putting. I need a stable putter and the BA sounds like the correct one for me. I will be blindly ordering this time. 

Thanks again for the time.... and support. Lol

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

1 hour ago, OspreyCI said:

Haha. You are awesome! Spent way too much at the end of 2020 on PXG clubs. Big PXG fan and will end up with an entire PXG bag.

The info in the BA was really helpful. I always gravitated to it during my fittings. I have played so much golf this past year and really in tune with my putting. I need a stable putter and the BA sounds like the correct one for me. I will be blindly ordering this time. 

Thanks again for the time.... and support. Lol

That bat attack would be a damn cool putter if they'd tame those pontoons on it. 

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

That bat attack would be a damn cool putter if they'd tame those pontoons on it. 

Lol

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I may have saved my blackjack from the unemployment lines...and may have found out why my first run with the wristlock grip wasn't what I hoped it would be. 

Did some playing around with the blackjack where i put my wallet between my left wrist and the grip...to lock my wrist in. That produced a much better path. Sonia decided to put a wristlock on the blackjack.

Shows promise. The wristlock grip gives me that single.piece feeling from.grip to head that I prefer. That also identified that the first putter I put the wristlock on was too light. I had it on a spider tour at 355g. I weighted the blackjack up to 370g and it's pretty solid. More practice to come. Maybe my stubbornness has paid off. That, and no initial takers on the bst listing.

Another thing about the wristlock. The first go-round, I out the wristlock on the spider playing 34". I know why superstroke said the grip can go straight on. I put it on the blackjack at 33" and the bulge now rests perfectly where my wrist and hand meet. Perfect length. I don't think that grip is supposed to have the bulge rest on the upper wrist. It seems that it's supposed to rest on the lower wrist.

We'll see.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I may have saved my blackjack from the unemployment lines...and may have found out why my first run with the wristlock grip wasn't what I hoped it would be. 

Did some playing around with the blackjack where i put my wallet between my left wrist and the grip...to lock my wrist in. That produced a much better path. Sonia decided to put a wristlock on the blackjack.

Shows promise. The wristlock grip gives me that single.piece feeling from.grip to head that I prefer. That also identified that the first putter I put the wristlock on was too light. I had it on a spider tour at 355g. I weighted the blackjack up to 370g and it's pretty solid. More practice to come. Maybe my stubbornness has paid off. That, and no initial takers on the bst listing.

Another thing about the wristlock. The first go-round, I out the wristlock on the spider playing 34". I know why superstroke said the grip can go straight on. I put it on the blackjack at 33" and the bulge now rests perfectly where my wrist and hand meet. Perfect length. I don't think that grip is supposed to have the bulge rest on the upper wrist. It seems that it's supposed to rest on the lower wrist.

We'll see.

As an admitted HO, I know I am going to regret asking questions 🙂

First - the unemployment line comment is hilarious - I have about 45 unemployed putters that I need to move along with a ton of other clubs, but maybe you are opening up a new door to some experimentation

OK - we need some pics of what you are talking about - hard to get this all straight with the wallet at the start and then some of the variations you have tried.  Questions (not an interrogation 🙂 ):

1. How tall are you?
  2. Normal putter length?
  3. I have never seen the wrist lock grip - the SuperStroke website leaves too much to the imagination and I kind of get how it works but I want to see how it works with standard grip as well as my favored left hand low.
  4. How do you know how long the putter should be before installing the grip - I would have to think that it would be close to a swap for your regular grip or you are wasting a shaft each time you put one of these on.

Sorry for the questioning but this sounds pretty cool!  Thanks

32 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

First - the unemployment line comment is hilarious - I have about 45 unemployed putters that I need to move along with a ton of other clubs, but maybe you are opening up a new door to some experimentation

OK - we need some pics of what you are talking about - hard to get this all straight with the wallet at the start and then some of the variations you have tried.  Questions (not an interrogation 🙂 ):

1. How tall are you?
  2. Normal putter length?
  3. I have never seen the wrist lock grip - the SuperStroke website leaves too much to the imagination and I kind of get how it works but I want to see how it works with standard grip as well as my favored left hand low.
  4. How do you know how long the putter should be before installing the grip - I would have to think that it would be close to a swap for your regular grip or you are wasting a shaft each time you put one of these on.

I'm on it...hold tight.

39 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

1. How tall are you?
  2. Normal putter length?

I am 5'8 and always use a 33" putter. 

My wallet measures 3/4" thick. It was thicker, but I bought a pxg club...

20210109_113940.jpg.465fa8255904f5d2a3b87f921005a926.jpg

I rest the wallet on the grip and brace my lead wrist against it like this...

20210109_114006.jpg.3b56e28a5b63bf1035ae4f703edc5946.jpg

That gives great feel for locking in the wrist. That also gives a sense of where the bulge in the wristlock should go. Before putting the wristlock on, line up where you want to grip a regular grip with your left hand...mark that spot on a regular grip. Then grab an uninstalled wristlock and put the bulge where it feels right. Mark that spot on the wristlock grip. Line up the two grips to see if the putter length needs to be changed or not.

20210109_114040.jpg.36615d7343f8948c9bd324cf5749a833.jpg

As you can see, the putters are basically the same length.

20210109_114632.jpg.95aca8ae95cb5bf678f589303359af67.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, ajlacombe said:

1. How tall are you?
  2. Normal putter length?

1 minute ago, OspreyCI said:

Want to know more about the wrist lock grip. Thank. 

Fyi - the wristlock does require forward press. I always did that anyway so it was a natural feel. If you don't forward press now then it will be odd for you. The higher up you want the bulge to rest on your lead wrist, the more forward press needed.

• Thanks 1