2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Main Event: Augusta vs. Bryson “Badaboom” DeChambeau

bscinstnct

Don't let em in at the gate. Sorry you have to quarantine immediately, no test required.  And no cabin just a tent. And we're all out of Pimento sandwiches. And yeah we're a bunch of meanies. 

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

On 10/17/2020 at 9:29 AM, Nels55 said:

Does your butler have a cabin?

I see what you did there. Nice work!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

On 10/17/2020 at 9:29 AM, Nels55 said:

Does your butler have a cabin?

I see what you did there. Nice work!

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Does BDC "have" to win for changes to occur?

What happens if he doesn't win but say have a wedge into every par 5 (maybe not 8 bc its uphill); would that spur anything or are strictly talking a win?

I think it will be interesting ether way with two Masters so close together if they change anything. 

On 10/16/2020 at 7:39 PM, bscinstnct said:

what if anything can be done to discourage a total rocket launch from Bryson, Rory, DJ etc ?

What have all of the "rocket launchers" on tour won at Augusta recently? Bubkes. Your favorite broken down short knocking feline won it last year at age 43. Remember?

ANGC has a way of figuring out it's course set up. Lots of bombers over time have never come close to winning there. See the longs hitters that rinsed it on the 12th hole in the final round last year. The mental part of the game figures greatly at AGNC. At times more than physical ability. BDC hasn't won every event since he changed his body and way of playing. Nor will he or anybody else. When DJ carpet bombed TPC Boston to the tune of 30 under BDC trunk slammed it after the cut. At Olympia Fields that played nearly as difficult as WF BDC was 50th. He finished 25th out of 30 at The Tour Championship. As well as he played at WF short knocking Martin Kaymer won the US Open by more shots than BDC.  Even when BDC won at Detroit this year by bombing it over everything the winner there last year, Nate Lashley, was further under par and won by more shots than Bryson did this year. My god how did that happen by a short hitter?

Recall that relative short hitter YJS would of have had the Masters scoring record in 2015 had he not bogeyed the final hole of the event. 

Edited by grm24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grm24 said:

What have all of the "rocket launchers" on tour won at Augusta recently? Bubkes. Your favorite broken down short knocking feline won it last year at age 43. Remember?

ANGC has a way of figuring out it's course set up. Lots of bombers over time have never come close to winning there. See the longs hitters that rinsed it on the 12th hole in the final round last year. The mental part of the game figures greatly at AGNC. At times more than physical ability. BDC hasn't won every event since he changed his body and way of playing. Nor will he or anybody else. When DJ carpet bombed TPC Boston to the tune of 30 under BDC trunk slammed it after the cut. At Olympia Fields that played nearly as difficult as WF BDC was 50th. He finished 25th out of 30 at The Tour Championship. As well as he played at WF short knocking Martin Kaymer won the US Open by more shots than BDC.  Even when BDC won at Detroit this year by bombing it over everything the winner there last year, Nate Lashley, was further under par and won by more shots than Bryson did this year. My god how did that happen by a short hitter?

Recall that relative short hitter YJS would of have had the Masters scoring record in 2015 had he not bogeyed the final hole of the event. 

JS was well up there in distance when he was winning..

besides..using these ‘short knockers’ as examples that all shapes and sizes win on tour is flawed. They had to be long enough to be on tour in the first place, and that bar is only going one way.

These guys are all, every single one of them, through the bag Long. Even, possibly, longer than the average wrxer.

BD Masters prep!

No tournaments but...

“Week 1 of Masters prep: Working out. And no golf. He wants to go from 235 pounds – he’s put on about 40 in the past year – to 245.   

“I’m going to be working out like crazy,” he said. “This first week back home, I’m not really going to touch a club too much and going to be training pretty hard and getting myself up to hopefully around 245, something like that, in weight. Be the first time I’ve ever done that, so I’m going to be consuming a lot and working out a lot and see what can go from there.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/surprising-way-bryson-dechambeau-prepping-masters/amp/

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, milesgiles said:

These guys are all, every single one of them, through the bag Long. Even, possibly, longer than the average wrxer.

Not possible. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

7 minutes ago, physasst said:

Not possible. 

I’d strongly advise wrxers, if they haven’t already, to watch Kevin Na, Zach Johnson, Langer (now) or anyone else regarded as a ‘short knocker’. My experience is that they are all substantially longer than all but a tiny, tiny handful of club golfers. Probably 1 or 2 at the average club would have a chance of keeping up. 

i hope he hits his ball straight into trees all week. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

BD Masters prep!

No tournaments but...

“Week 1 of Masters prep: Working out. And no golf. He wants to go from 235 pounds – he’s put on about 40 in the past year – to 245.   

“I’m going to be working out like crazy,” he said. “This first week back home, I’m not really going to touch a club too much and going to be training pretty hard and getting myself up to hopefully around 245, something like that, in weight. Be the first time I’ve ever done that, so I’m going to be consuming a lot and working out a lot and see what can go from there.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/news/surprising-way-bryson-dechambeau-prepping-masters/amp/

🤣 10 lbs in 2 weeks.. guys tripping out on whey protein

Titleist....

32 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

🤣 10 lbs in 2 weeks.. guys tripping out on whey protein

I can gain 10 pound is one dinner at Kean’s!

Ive never had it but the mutton chop is a specialty there. Looks like it’s 3lbs on its own 😂

8DCF275B-05CA-42AC-BC4F-59B7325B883B.jpeg

Figure:

Thick bacon

Oysters

Crabcake

Mutton Chop

Spinach

Potatoes

Few bites of friends steaks; )

2 scotches

Bottle of vino

Coffee

Sambuca

Few glasses of water

Stop for a slice or two of pizza after hitting the “jiggly room” after steaks

Thats gotta be like 11.5 pounds at least!

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, milesgiles said:

JS was well up there in distance when he was winning..

besides..using these ‘short knockers’ as examples that all shapes and sizes win on tour is flawed. They had to be long enough to be on tour in the first place, and that bar is only going one way.

In 2015 at the Masters YJS averaged 282 yards off the tee with a long drive of 296 that week. He was 78th in driving average in 2015 at 292 yards. That's not long or "up there" for the PGA Tour. 

4 hours ago, grm24 said:

In 2015 at the Masters YJS averaged 282 yards off the tee with a long drive of 296 that week. He was 78th in driving average in 2015 at 292 yards. That's not long or "up there" for the PGA Tour. 

He was top 10 in total driving when he was first on tour. 

19 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

BD Masters prep!

I think this approach is just silly. 

Very short term he might win a bit, I don’t deny it. He’s not built for that sort of weight and he is going to get injured. His stamina will suffer as well. Hope he doesn’t spew a protein shake over the beautiful grass at Augusta. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

regardless of his length - those couple years he made just about every dang putt he looked at from 3-30'

the driving stats are virtually worthless. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

I think this approach is just silly. 

Very short term he might win a bit, I don’t deny it. He’s not built for that sort of weight and he is going to get injured. His stamina will suffer as well. Hope he doesn’t spew a protein shake over the beautiful grass at Augusta. 

He is a pro athlete.  What do you get for winning a major?  What do you get for winning The Masters?  What do you get for being a multiple major winner?

Who cares if he can't sustain this.  He can catch lightning in a bottle for a year or two, do some damage, win some majors and then get back down to whatever is sustainable and comfortable and play like Webb Simpson.  He will be exempt into every Masters and still probably play well enough to get into every other major and be exempt on Tour.  He will show up and win often enough at the Puerto Rico open that he'll be fine.

To be clear, Bryson should (that's right, SHOULD) win the Masters. He's crazy long and straight, and is currently one of the best putters there is. I see him winning by 4+ shots. The harder and faster they make the greens to make the course even tougher, Bryson's advantage continues to increase. He hits approach shots a mile in the air and he's exceptional on fast, sloping greens. 

The only way for Augusta National to protect the course against Bryson DeChambeau is by limiting driver size significantly, maybe even limiting tee height, getting rid of armlock. In other words, nothing Augusta can do about it, other than beg the USGA to change the rules. The guy just hits it too long and straight and putts too well. 

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

51 minutes ago, PowderedToastMan said:

To be clear, Bryson should (that's right, SHOULD) win the Masters. He's crazy long and straight, and is currently one of the best putters there is. I see him winning by 4+ shots. The harder and faster they make the greens to make the course even tougher, Bryson's advantage continues to increase. He hits approach shots a mile in the air and he's exceptional on fast, sloping greens. 

The only way for Augusta National to protect the course against Bryson DeChambeau is by limiting driver size significantly, maybe even limiting tee height, getting rid of armlock. In other words, nothing Augusta can do about it, other than beg the USGA to change the rules. The guy just hits it too long and straight and putts too well. 

Wedge game is key there. BDs wedge/greenside stats were unusually good (compared to his usual very mediocre wedge game) at the US Open.

But, yes, if he’s playing like he did at the US Open, then he gets a green jacket. Put on him by Tiger to boot!

• Like 1