2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SF Bay Area - Bay View aka Summitpointe

Gnucastle

Bay Area Golfers - I never played Summitpointe in MIlpitas and really never heard anything good about the track. Now that it has been "renovated" and "rebranded" as Bay View Golf Club, I am hearing and reading some pretty decent things. Shorter course by todays standards but greens are supposed to be outstanding. It still seems to be one of the few places you can get a same day tee-time these days. Just curious on this groups thoughts on the course. Has anyone played the NEW Bay View? Thoughts?

Is that the former Tularcitos that was rebranded 20+ years ago as Summitpointe?  If it is, and I have the courses correct, then it was not great.  Some courses are built where a golf course doesn't belong, and it was one of them.  Not as bad as The Ranch, or Moraga CC from that standpoint.  But just difficult and not fun to play.

Apologies to Bay View GC if I have its lineage incorrect.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

13 hours ago, carrera said:

Is that the former Tularcitos that was rebranded 20+ years ago as Summitpointe?  If it is, and I have the courses correct, then it was not great.  Some courses are built where a golf course doesn't belong, and it was one of them.  Not as bad as The Ranch, or Moraga CC from that standpoint.  But just difficult and not fun to play.

Apologies to Bay View GC if I have its lineage incorrect.

Yes, this is the former Tularcitos Golf And Country Club. I haven't played Bay View but I've heard that they filled in the lake at #7 and that the greens are in pretty good shape but not the fairways. 

I have not played there post rebuild/brand, nor was I aware of such a project.

I had played there a handful of times previously, and frankly, the course wasn't that bad until they had the water issues. 

Yes it has some quirky holes but made up for it with the greens and views. It only went downhill when their water supply was cut and they couldn't water anything but the greens. At that point in time the course was godawful save for a 2 week period in spring when rain had made the grass green but the course was dry enough to not be a slog.

I thought the bones of the course were good. If they brought the rest of the place up to the same level it would be a fun place to play. 

Just played there today.  They're definitely making improvements to the course.  Tee boxes were good, greens were in excellent shape.  Fairways could use some more TLC, but still playable. 

Although the greens are in great shape, they were a little too fast for some of the pin placements.  Downhill putts are almost impossible to stop by the hole.  Balls that would trickle by the hole would end up off the green.  I was starting to look for the clowns mouth after a few holes.

Overall, a vast improvement over what it used to be.  IMO not worth the rack rate, especially since they jacked up the prices.  If you can find a hot deal on golfnow, definitely give it a try.

I noticed the name change on Golf Now and was wondering what course it was. I have played there several times over the past 5-6 years. I have seen the course completely brown (besides the greens) and in awful shape. It is a tough course with some interesting holes. Some pin positions are pretty much impossible. I might check it out if I get a good price on a hot deal but otherwise I don't feel an urge to go there. Especially when I can play Coyote Tournament or Cinnabar..

I've played there a few times this year and most recently, the week before they changed their name to Bay View. The name change also came with a price increase so I don't think it's worth it for the price right now but as another user mentioned, they are making improvements and it's gotten a lot better throughout this year. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Played it a couple of weeks ago. We agreed that everyone who was playing definitely had Bay View as their 5th or 6th choice that day and was forced to play there due to tee time availability. The greens were sandy, pins in impossible positions, cart path only, overcrowded, balls flying all over the place, fairways not mowed. All for $95 (weekend rate with cart). One positive: their driving range is nice but...  irons only!

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S))

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 17* (stock HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

RTX ZipCore 52* Mid (DG Tour Issue)

SM9 58-10S (DG)

HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
Eleven CS

Any urethane “X” ball

2 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

Played it a couple of weeks ago. We agreed that everyone who was playing definitely had Bay View as their 5th or 6th choice that day and was forced to play there due to tee time availability. The greens were sandy, pins in impossible positions, cart path only, overcrowded, balls flying all over the place, fairways not mowed. All for $95 (weekend rate with cart). One positive: their driving range is nice but...  irons only!

$95? Damn! I wouldn’t pay more than $45 with cart for this course. I played it once about 2 months back and besides the name change and new golf carts it is the same golf course. 

On 11/14/2020 at 12:21 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Update? Did you make it out and how'd it go?

No, JtHF - I couldn't bring myself to book the time for the cost. Although even months later there are STILL often tons  of times  available. Judging by the latest comments, it doesnt seem worth it. 

Edited by Gnucastle

Like everyone else here, I booked out of necessity--late and nothing else available:

1. tee boxes good.

2. greens good but sanded.

3. short and lots of weird uphill holes.

4. EXTREMELY SLOW on Saturday.  Tee times were 12 mins apart, carts on path only most holes, and still had to wait at least one group behind on every single hole.

5. Back 9 is more interesting.

6. Paid $95 with cart for 11 AM tee time.

I will never ever ever go back.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, Gnucastle said:

No, JtHF - I couldn't bring myself to book the time for the cost. Although even months later there are STILL often tons  of times  available. Judging by the latest comments, it doesnt seem worth it. 

I finally played Bay View today for the first time. Maybe it was the weather, but I had a great time! Course was in really good shape for as much play as typical Bay Area courses get these days. Greens rolled well and fast-ish even though tthey still had remnants of being punched (must be slow comeback). $75 Friday rate w/ cart isnt bad for the Bay Area. 

I will say for the longer hitters, there are some really easy par 4's and some tee shots you really have to pay attention to so not to drive it too far on the wrong line. Also, From 9 - 12 it is almost like you are playing dodge ball with other players on different holes. Keep the ball in your fairway and in play and you'll have a great time!

I recommend. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

My experience is that it's a really nice course layout. In the spring conditions are good, and so far this year I thought it played nice.

But usually rounds are very slow, even if you go off early. Last time I played a round there, we went off in the first few groups on an early Saturday, the front 9 took just under 3 hours, and when we got to hole 10 there were multiple groups waiting so we left. They send groups off both the front and back nine, and back 9 groups go off until just about 2 hours after the first tee time. So even if you are the first group off, sometimes you will still need to wait on 10 for the first back nine tee time.

The carts they have seem newish and nice. But it's cart path only which I think adds a bit to the slow play.

Anyway due to high price and slow play, it's usually one of my last options to book in the south bay area even though there are some fun holes.

Driver Callaway Epic Max LS 9º 

3W / 5W / 7W Ping G425 Max

4i-GW Titleist 2019 T100 

SW Kirkland 56º 

Putter Odyssey Ten S

1 minute ago, twentyfour said:

My experience is that it's a really nice course layout. In the spring conditions are good, and so far this year I thought it played nice.

But usually rounds are very slow, even if you go off early. Last time I played a round there, we went off in the first few groups on an early Saturday, the front 9 took just under 3 hours, and when we got to hole 10 there were multiple groups waiting so we left. They send groups off both the front and back nine, and back 9 groups go off until just about 2 hours after the first tee time. So even if you are the first group off, sometimes you will still need to wait on 10 for the first back nine tee time.

The carts they have seem newish and nice. But it's cart path only which I think adds a bit to the slow play.

Anyway due to high price and slow play, it's usually one of my last options to book in the south bay area even though there are some fun holes.

It’s not cart path only. 

20 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

It’s not cart path only. 

Sure, if you bring your own custom cart.

It's been cart path only all spring. This summer they have opened up the non hilly parts, but it's still all geo-fenced to where they think you can drive.

Driver Callaway Epic Max LS 9º 

3W / 5W / 7W Ping G425 Max

4i-GW Titleist 2019 T100 

SW Kirkland 56º 

Putter Odyssey Ten S

13 minutes ago, twentyfour said:

Sure, if you bring your own custom cart.

It's been cart path only all spring. This summer they have opened up the non hilly parts, but it's still all geo-fenced to where they think you can drive.

Interesting. When I played there earlier this year you could drive it pretty much anywhere. Also when they restrict you via geolocation they still let you drive on the fairways so it’s not a true cart path only like Pebble or Spyglass. 

• 2 weeks later...

Summitpoint at one point was one my favorite tracks in late 90s early 2000s.... it was firm and fast! and the hills made it challenging.... too challenging for the occasional golfer (even though it played short) you never wanted to be above the hole or you could putt off the green... (this was a compliant made by a lot of golfers to the course.... which I think they tried to fix by growing it out which ended up ruining the whole course). The best part you could literally play for $25-30 with a cart on the weekday. Yes it was always slow because it got a lot of play

I say from 2010 to when the new owner came and changed to bay view a couple years ago. The conditions of the course were awful. REALLY BAD fairways dying, greens were dying and hairy.

They have recently put a lot money into bringing the conditions back to playable and from what i hear they are doing a great job just not as what it was in the golden days.

What's stopping me from checking it out is they have really raised the rates for that course i think when they opened back up charging $70 during the week? (luckily i have a buddy who still works there). No way in hell I would pay that much for that course!

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

1 hour ago, vietnameeh said:

Summitpoint at one point was one my favorite tracks in late 90s early 2000s.... it was firm and fast! and the hills made it challenging.... too challenging for the occasional golfer (even though it played short) you never wanted to be above the hole or you could putt off the green... (this was a compliant made by a lot of golfers to the course.... which I think they tried to fix by growing it out which ended up ruining the whole course). The best part you could literally play for $25-30 with a cart on the weekday. Yes it was always slow because it got a lot of play

I say from 2010 to when the new owner came and changed to bay view a couple years ago. The conditions of the course were awful. REALLY BAD fairways dying, greens were dying and hairy.

They have recently put a lot money into bringing the conditions back to playable and from what i hear they are doing a great job just not as what it was in the golden days.

What's stopping me from checking it out is they have really raised the rates for that course i think when they opened back up charging $70 during the week? (luckily i have a buddy who still works there). No way in hell I would pay that much for that course!

I only play there when I have a 20 or 30% off code on Teeoff or Golfnow. I will never pay full price there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ASN21 said:

I only play there when I have a 20 or 30% off code on Teeoff or Golfnow. I will never pay full price there.

That course has so much potential, its actually really sad the last time i played, I would never actually go in and complain about golf course conditions....but I had to talk to the GM about it... and he gave me the gist (this was during the transition into the new owner, new owner is not a golfer so she did not understand the need for upkeep it wasnt until recently someone explained some sense into her and she started spending money) I also complained because I had a friend join me and he had to pay full rack rate ( i was part of the american golf players pass at monarch so it was cheap for me)

but back when summit was in great condition, I remember the greens being like coyote creek greens... could you imagine those sloped summit green with the speed of coyote creek!!?!?!  lol

• Like 1

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

9 minutes ago, vietnameeh said:

That course has so much potential, its actually really sad the last time i played, I would never actually go in and complain about golf course conditions....but I had to talk to the GM about it... and he gave me the gist (this was during the transition into the new owner, new owner is not a golfer so she did not understand the need for upkeep it wasnt until recently someone explained some sense into her and she started spending money) I also complained because I had a friend join me and he had to pay full rack rate ( i was part of the american golf players pass at monarch so it was cheap for me)

but back when summit was in great condition, I remember the greens being like coyote creek greens... could you imagine those sloped summit green with the speed of coyote creek!!?!?!  lol

The greens were already crazy tough and with Coyote Creek speed would be near unplayable lol.