5 Hybrid vs. 5 Iron

Played yesterday w/ a friend who`s much better than I. Interestingly he's replaced his 5 iron w/ a hybrid. I recently did the same w/ my 4 iron, which got me thinking. Anyone have experience replacing their 5 iron & if so, w/ what? Thanks.

This week`s Starting Line-Up:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56*, 60* Vokey SM5's
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year I took my 3,4,5,6 irons out of my bag and replaced them with 4,5,6 hybrids. My long iron game has improved tremendously. Way fewer miss hits and my misses are always close to the green. I am

I replaced my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid. I find it far easier to hit than my 5 iron. I also took my 6 iron out of the bag so now my longest iron is a 7. I now carry a 3, 4, and 5 hybrid since they're so

5i? That's so last month    6h is where the fun is at

Posted Images

If you have issues elevating your 4 or 5 iron, a hybrid may be the viable option. But remember, most hybrids are longer shafts compared to similar iron number. You should hit a 5h a little longer than your 5i. I tried a 5h for a while, not bad, but not great either. Just started playing a Cleveland Launcher UHX, a hollow body iron. I am able to hit a 5i again with consistency. If you like the look of an iron at address over a hybrid, give them a look. I just put the Launcher HB 4 iron in the bag. The deeper body does help in elevating a 4i for my senior swing speed.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Ping Alta CB R flex or Ping Distanza SR flex, std length

Taylormade V-Steel, 3W, 15°, stock shaft, R flex, std length
Ping G400 5W 17.5° Ping Alta CB, R flex std length

Cleveland Launcher HB 3 hybrid, 19°, Miyasaki C Kua, R flex, std length
Cleveland Launcher HB 4 iron, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length

Cleveland Launcher UHX 5-D Wedge, std loft/lie, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel R flex, std length
Cleveland CBX2, 54°/12 bounce, Dynamic Gold DST 98 steel, R flex, std length

Odyssey 2019 Seven Slant Stroke Lab with stock grip 35"

Yes, I ditched the 5i years ago. It was wonderful when struck well, but the mishits were too common, and very punishing. A couple of seasons later the 6i was replaced by a 6h. Watching Lydia Ko effortlessly hit her 5h was a big reason I swapped. My swing speed is much closer to the professional women, and many of them carry 5 hybrids.

As noted above, keep in mind that stock hybrid shafts tend to be longer, so a proper replacement for a 5i is likely a 6h. 

At the end of the day, or round should I say, the results are what matter. The likelihood of me hitting a solid shot with the hybrid is much higher than with the iron.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

For last 2 seasons I've played with a Cobra F9 5 hybrid. It's 24 degrees & gaps perfectly between Cobra OS 3-4 hybrid at 20.5 degrees & Apex19 6 iron which is 26.5 degrees. The 5 iron was just getting to be to undependable. Misses with the 5 hybrid were more playable than the 5 iron. Use what works best for your game.

Driver: Cobra F9 @ 11.5 Degrees

5 Wood: Cobra F8 @ 18 Degrees

Hybrid: Cobra 3-4 OS @ 20.5 degrees

Hybrid: Cobra F9 @ 24 Degrees

Irons: Callaway Apex 19's 6-SW

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degrees

Putter: PXG Closer

I thought about this but am trying a driving iron first. I'm afraid of side spin with the hybrid and the thought of trying to hit precise distance control kind of scares me. It could all be in my head. I do feel like I would take a more reasonable swing with the driving iron versus woods and hybrids where you try to hit it hard as possible. Come to think of it, I think most of these factors are all in my head. 

When I had my blades in the bag, I played a Titleist 5 hybrid. 
I’m playing Callaway X14 irons now, 5-PW. 
I hit this 5 iron pretty well so far.

I guess it depends on what you are playing and what you are looking for. 

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

I’m kind of in between on if I should go hybrid or 5 iron. 5 iron struck well goes 180, have a hybrid that goes about 185. Distance wise the hybrid is much more consistent as my 5 iron can go 150 on a chunk. Left to right wise the 5 iron is much better with a hook on the hybrid being my miss. Maybe a hybrid that fits me better is my best bet. Anyone else see further right/left dispersion with a hybrid vs and iron?

I dumped the 5 iron a few years ago, when I couldn't hit it the distance I needed consistently.

Now have a Ping G410 26* HYB in it's place. It goes approx 170-175yrds. My 4 HYB goes 180-185yrds.

Much better choice for an older player.

Also picked up a Epic Forged "6" iron which is 24* to mess with on windy days.

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

My set of Cobra F6's are a 3-4H a 4-5H and  6-PW

I have both hybrids set at the lowest setting 4 and 5.  leaves a goof gapping for my 5 wood

I really like the setup the way it is . 

Callaway Rogue/Epic depending on my mood

Callaway Epic 3 wood

Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Cobra F6 hybrids, 3-4 and 4-5

Cobra F6 irons 6i -PW, GW

Harry Taylor 54* and 58* wedges

Odyssey "O" Works 2 ball, Super Stroke mid slim 2.0 grip

4 minutes ago, Abe21599 said:

never a bad idea to have both a 5i and 5h options in the trunk, just gotta watch lofts

That's kinda what I did.....

I also play some kinda jacked lofts w/ the Cobra Forged Tec's. 

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

I play with a 5 hybrid (G30).  Its been an amazing change for me, and I'd recommend it to anyone.  I also own a G30 6 hybrid but that was a bridge too far.

My 26* x100 j40 and my 26* +1" G30 light graphite hybrid gap about 12 yards, so I play both and cut the lob wedge which I find zero use for.  I think this may be true for a lot of players - that their 5 iron and 5 hybrid gap nicely even at the same loft.

• Like 2

Ping G30 driver 3h 4h 5h stock stiff shafts

Bridgestone j40 DPC 6-PW x100

Vokey sm5 50/12F 56/10S x100

Taylormade Spider X

I know it sounds so "old man" but if you want to make a change in your 5-iron slot and can't seem to get along with a hybrid, give the 9-wood a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

JBeam Bullet 10* Ventus Black 6X
Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  
MIURA CB57 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
Miura Tour Milled Wedge 48, 52, 56, 60 Fuji MCI 125 Solid

Bettinardi Innovai Tour DASS Flowneck Prototype

A couple of ways to view this:

If you don't quite get all your 5i, consider getting the shaft softstepped. A little extra flex at the tip can really help launch.

(In my case, I went further and refit my 4i with a hybrid shaft. Now it's a super driving iron, and can deliver a stinger approach into the wind.)

Hybrids can be of two types:

Iron replacement, which is paired pretty close to loft and shaft length with an OEMs iron model(s).

Stand-alone hybrid, with shaft length between a fairway wood and a similar numbered iron. 

Thus, some may find they could benefit from both a 5i and a 5H to maintain decent gapping.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

10 minutes ago, Abe21599 said:

interesting, i dont follow new tech much but i hardly ever see 7w let alone 9w available 

Hardly new tech. The higher lofted woods come and go. In my vintage fairway woods I have accumulated most of the Callaway Hawkeyes (titanium head) from circa 2000. My Hawkeye group includes 3W, 5W, 7W and 9W - plus the Deuce, a 2W (aka brassie).

Look around in Callaway Preowned. Up to 9W is available in some more recent models. Check out new FW web sites... 7W is highest loft most shops carry; 9W often special order.

Note: On PGA Tour, several players carry 7Ws, a number of them from Titleist.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

6 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Hardly new tech. The higher lofted woods come and go. In my vintage fairway woods I have accumulated most of the Callaway Hawkeyes (titanium head) from circa 2000. My Hawkeye group includes 3W, 5W, 7W and 9W - plus the Deuce, a 2W (aka brassie).

Look around in Callaway Preowned. Up to 9W is available in some more recent models. Check out new FW web sites... 7W is highest loft most shops carry; 9W often special order.

Note: On PGA Tour, several players carry 7Ws, a number of them from Titleist.

sorry didnt mean 'new' tech, just less common tech. im also speaking from the left handed market, so some of those are pretty rare haha

10 hours ago, Abe21599 said:

interesting, i dont follow new tech much but i hardly ever see 7w let alone 9w available 

I swapped my 4h for a 9w. The 9w is a 200 yd club (195 if I choke down 1/2"), the 5h 185, and the 6h 175.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

17 hours ago, Milfordlefty said:

If you have issues elevating your 4 or 5 iron, a hybrid may be the viable option. But remember, most hybrids are longer shafts compared to similar iron number. You should hit a 5h a little longer than your 5i. I tried a 5h for a while, not bad, but not great either. Just started playing a Cleveland Launcher UHX, a hollow body iron. I am able to hit a 5i again with consistency. If you like the look of an iron at address over a hybrid, give them a look. I just put the Launcher HB 4 iron in the bag. The deeper body does help in elevating a 4i for my senior swing speed.

I just went with one of these instead of a 4 iron and like it.  Have been toying with the idea of replacing the 5 with one also.  I play a 19 degree hybrid (Set at 18.25)  as well

People can’t hit a 5 iron.  Must be all the game improvement stuff has made them harder to hit.

Reminds me of the days maybe 25 years ago when my boss used Callaway Heavenwood (7) and Divine Nine (9).

At one time I played a Adams Tight Lies with 28 degrees with a shaft that must have been 4 or 5 inches longer than my 5 iron, which at that time was my 150 yards club.   Dropped it as my distances increased. If I still played it I would probably never have learned to hit my irons longer, which would be bad since my irons are much more consistent.

A club that can be hit with poor technique is not in my book a good thing.

And the funny thing is as far as I can tell people still can’t hit their GI irons and hybrids much better than we used to hit say Tommy 

Armour 845’s.  The slice still predominates followed by the grounder.