5 Hybrid vs. 5 Iron

rwl

14 hours ago, Flat4Boxer said:

Running 4H, 5H, 6H and will get the 7 when they release the G425's. I always struggled with the longer irons but the hybrids are very consistent.

Oh man they are coming out w/ a 7H in the G425?  Instant purchase once released in the US.  Rocking the G410 5 and 6H's right now.  Would love to get a 7H.  Had the 2019 Big Bertha 8H (33*) hybrid, but I found the head was a bit on the light side.  I have my Pings cut down shorter and added a heavier head weight to help with the reduction in swing weight.  They are played like iron replacements and meant to go a distance to fill a gap.  I don't utilize them for pure distance.  I use my 9 wood and 5 wood for that purpose.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jmkorting said:

I love my G410 9 wood.  Favorite club in my bag.  Paired it with a Ventus 7S and a playing length of 40.5 inches w/ a 20g weight in the head to help offset the swing weight reduction.  So easy to hit.

9 woods are the bomb - quite literally at times.

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Been using a 5 hybrid for some time now , think 5 years. Not a bad option. Since my 7 iron is strong lofted, so this year I added new ones,  Epic Flash 3,4,5 hybrids set to 17,20,23 and added a big Bertha 2019 6 hybrid at 26 . So I’m a big fan of hybrids. For me it was getting harder and harder to hit a club stronger than that 27 degree 7 iron with consistency. It helps those like me who aren’t as flexible as well. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I love my 5 iron too much. Could never switch it out for a hybrid. Real advantage to be able to work the ball left and right and to be able to really flight it down. More confidence when playing from a really bad lie or having obstacles in front of you. And I dont see any loss when playing from the fairway like I was seeing with the 4 iron.

That being said, some of these strong lofted GI sets have a 21 degree 5 iron. In which, case, yes, I would ditch that for a hybrid. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

As my swing gets better, I am going backwards - dropped the 6H 3 yrs ago, dropped the 5H this year, seeing if I can swing a 4i and go to a 3H.

Bag starts out Driver, 16.5, 5 wood or 19Hy or both then 5-PW ...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

It’s been a strange few years when it’s come to my bag setup..last year I added a 5 wood for the first time in almost 30 years, it’s become my favorite club!! I’ve been experimenting with different hybrids all year trying to find the right set up for me and my course. Ended up with Titleist 818 H1s but still messing around with the right set up. Right now the 21* & 25* are in the bag...with the 25* replacing my 5 iron, it’s good for 165-175 yds. 
This getting old really sucks!!

Edited by tbccgolfer
  • Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

At the beginning of last season, I thought hard about how many good shots I'd hit the previous season with my 5i. When I couldn't think of one, I replaced my 5i with an i25 26* and haven't looked back. More consistent from all lies leading to more confidence. I discovered I can hit low recovery shots (which was my last reason for keeping a 5i) with my 6i very easily. 

I wish the i25-like hybrids would come back. The only company I know still making 'new' ones is Ben Hogan. For my 5h, I prefer a compact profile compared to a wood or half wood. 

I don't see myself with an iron longer than a 6 ever again.

Edited by Konklifer
  • Like 2
PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

On 10/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, acemandrake said:

The loft & ease of use make the 5H a very versatile club for multiple situations & yardages.

A 5-iron is more of a precision club.

So...ease of use vs. greater control.  Might as well use both.

If you actually read many of the pro 5hy comments they are basically saying they have better control AND ease of use resulting in better shots(which is what we are all trying to do) with the 5hy. Its not a matter of choosing one or the other its getting both from one club, 5yh,  and neither from the other, 5i, so why bother carrying it. It might not be that way for everyone but it certainly seems that way for those posting in this thread.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

My 6i (27degree) carry distance is average 175. My 5h (bend to 27 degree) is 190 average with very high ball flight and very little roll out and much easier to hit than my set 5i. It’s a gap that works for me. You just have to find one that works for you. Don’t just go by what manufacture says at the bottom of the club. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

55 minutes ago, chal0072 said:

My 6i (27degree) carry distance is average 175. My 5h (bend to 27 degree) is 190 average with very high ball flight and very little roll out and much easier to hit than my set 5i. It’s a gap that works for me. You just have to find one that works for you. Don’t just go by what manufacture says at the bottom of the club. 

This. When I retooled out of my 4, 5, 6 irons, I began by setting the loft adjustments in standard increments keeping them even. After some range work and on course experience, I've since adjusted them to fit the gaps and not the loft stamped on the club. 

This has really been interesting to me. I have gotten worse with my long irons over the years, but gotten "better" at hitting hybrids. I have a 3 and 4 hyb that I can stripe on a relatively consistent basis, and I'm thinking, why not do the same for my 5i?

6 iron is short enough where I can put a confident enough hit on it.

Having a 5 hybrid has no curb appeal, but I'm willing to put results over ego, especially if it allows me to shoot low scores.

Edited by titleistforged
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10 Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 5S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 15* UST Mamiya Linq Purple 6F4

Titleist TS3 19 Fujikura Fuel 85HB S

Titleist U500 4i Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 HY 6.0

Titleist 620MB 5-PW AeroTech Steelfiber i95 S

Titleist Vokey Design SM9 52F, 58M True Temper DG S200

Scotty Cameron Teryllium 2 Newport KBS GPS Tour 120 Rainbow
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

On 10/18/2020 at 4:58 AM, jomatty said:

In the early 90’s I could hit a 3 iron no problem.  Those 845’s were great.  While I agree with you some, the modern balls just seem harder to hit with longer irons.  I don’t think that learning to hit a hybrid or fairway wood is bad technique so much as different technique.  I can’t see why anyone who doesn’t have serious club head speed would hit a 4 iron or below.  It just seems unnecessarily  difficult.

100% accurate. Today's balls spin much less in general. I can stop a 4-iron OK with Pro V1x (high flying, high spinning) but that's just about it. 

The only long iron in my bag is the 5i which I hit sufficiently good. After than I have a 3h. I did have an extended 2h but I had problems with consistency because of the longer length and small head size so I am switching it out for a 5 wood. I expect as I get older I'll switch out the 5i too. 

Edited by chipa

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I had never tried a hybrid but wasn't hitting my 3 and 4 iron well, so I got hybrids and have been very happy. I still hit my 5i and it's my longest iron currently.

Right now I go back and forth between a 2h and my 5 wood. 😄

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

18 hours ago, Konklifer said:

I wish the i25-like hybrids would come back. The only company I know still making 'new' ones is Ben Hogan. For my 5h, I prefer a compact profile compared to a wood or half wood.

RIght?!  That's why I just re-shafted an old Hogan CFT 5h.

I was not aware of the i25 hybrids. I will check them out on eBay.

Callaway does have the Apex 19 in 26* 5h, although I wouldn't want to play it at the 39" stock length.

5 minutes ago, MartinKB said:

RIght?!  That's why I just re-shafted an old Hogan CFT 5h.

I was not aware of the i25 hybrids. I will check them out on eBay.

Callaway does have the Apex 19 in 26* 5h, although I wouldn't want to play it at the 39" stock length.

I do like the look of the Apex's. I will say, the upcoming G425's have my interest now that they've ditched the turbulators. I like them on my driver, but glad they're not on the new fw's and hybrids.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

It's been many years since I've carried a 5 iron; haven't ordered one in the last three set of irons I've bought, and no fitter has ever even suggested that I should.  The 5H is just a lot easier to use.  The ONLY time I miss a long iron is for punch shots out of the trees, and that's not really a bag setup problem.

There was a period of time where I carried a 6H instead of a 6i, but I backtracked on that several years ago.  I can still hit the 6i ok, and it's significantly more accurate than the 6h, at least for me.

23 hours ago, Bad9 said:

If you actually read many of the pro 5hy comments they are basically saying they have better control AND ease of use resulting in better shots(which is what we are all trying to do) with the 5hy. Its not a matter of choosing one or the other its getting both from one club, 5yh,  and neither from the other, 5i, so why bother carrying it. It might not be that way for everyone but it certainly seems that way for those posting in this thread.

I was thinking that the 5H is longer & more versatile than a 5i but the 5i is easier to hit different yardages than a 5H.

Ever try to hit a knockdown 5H?

19 minutes ago, acemandrake said:

I was thinking that the 5H is longer & more versatile than a 5i but the 5i is easier to hit different yardages than a 5H.

Yes. Its not really a problem.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, acemandrake said:

I'm 100x more consistent with 50% swing with hybrid over traditional 5i

• Like 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

On 10/19/2020 at 7:28 AM, Argonne69 said:

Bah. Of course you can. My lowest lofted iron is a 7 iron, and I can punch out like the best of them. Simply play the ball back in your stance a bit, and/or forward press, and the ball comes out low.

I respectfully disagree. Of course you can just chip out but I am talking about about keeping it low and hitting  it some distance, like 150-220 yards. If you can do it, more power to you.

8 hours ago, golfandtennisfan said:

I respectfully disagree. Of course you can just chip out but I am talking about about keeping it low and hitting  it some distance, like 150-220 yards. If you can do it, more power to you.

Again its not an issue. Mechanics are the same as trying to do it with an iron.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, golfandtennisfan said:

Do it frequently. Not a problem. I was 150 yds out in the left rough yesterday, and had a big tree in my way. I couldn't make a standard swing with the lower branches in the way, so I had to hit a low hook/draw, and run the ball up the front of the green to the back pin. 'Worked like a charm.

Curious, do you hit a high fade naturally, or a low draw? My natural shot is a (trap) draw, so I generally hit the ball low to start. If I play the ball a few inches back in my stance the ball really comes out low. I started to work on a fade this season, and I can see it being an issue if one gets the ball airborne quickly.

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/17/2020 at 11:32 AM, nitram said:

I know it sounds so "old man" but if you want to make a change in your 5-iron slot and can't seem to get along with a hybrid, give the 9-wood a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. 

This.  All of this.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

On 10/19/2020 at 4:11 PM, Flat4Boxer said:

That's what I'm seeing here.

image.png.3f1abd632fd9bc96331d368f2d82d9ac.png

This is so close to a full hybrid set like the HB Turbos, except my guess is that buying them one at a time will be super expensive. If Ping added the remaining clubs from 8 down and made them a set, I’d definitely be interested.