5 Hybrid vs. 5 Iron

On 10/17/2020 at 11:32 AM, nitram said:

I know it sounds so "old man" but if you want to make a change in your 5-iron slot and can't seem to get along with a hybrid, give the 9-wood a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. 

I love my G410 9 wood.  Favorite club in my bag.  Paired it with a Ventus 7S and a playing length of 40.5 inches w/ a 20g weight in the head to help offset the swing weight reduction.  So easy to hit.

• Like 1
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year I took my 3,4,5,6 irons out of my bag and replaced them with 4,5,6 hybrids. My long iron game has improved tremendously. Way fewer miss hits and my misses are always close to the green. I am

I replaced my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid. I find it far easier to hit than my 5 iron. I also took my 6 iron out of the bag so now my longest iron is a 7. I now carry a 3, 4, and 5 hybrid since they're so

Trouble with a 5h you love, you never hit 6 iron

Posted Images

14 hours ago, Flat4Boxer said:

Running 4H, 5H, 6H and will get the 7 when they release the G425's. I always struggled with the longer irons but the hybrids are very consistent.

Oh man they are coming out w/ a 7H in the G425?  Instant purchase once released in the US.  Rocking the G410 5 and 6H's right now.  Would love to get a 7H.  Had the 2019 Big Bertha 8H (33*) hybrid, but I found the head was a bit on the light side.  I have my Pings cut down shorter and added a heavier head weight to help with the reduction in swing weight.  They are played like iron replacements and meant to go a distance to fill a gap.  I don't utilize them for pure distance.  I use my 9 wood and 5 wood for that purpose.

• Like 2

Been using a 5 hybrid for some time now , think 5 years. Not a bad option. Since my 7 iron is strong lofted, so this year I added new ones,  Epic Flash 3,4,5 hybrids set to 17,20,23 and added a big Bertha 2019 6 hybrid at 26 . So I’m a big fan of hybrids. For me it was getting harder and harder to hit a club stronger than that 27 degree 7 iron with consistency. It helps those like me who aren’t as flexible as well. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I love my 5 iron too much. Could never switch it out for a hybrid. Real advantage to be able to work the ball left and right and to be able to really flight it down. More confidence when playing from a really bad lie or having obstacles in front of you. And I dont see any loss when playing from the fairway like I was seeing with the 4 iron.

That being said, some of these strong lofted GI sets have a 21 degree 5 iron. In which, case, yes, I would ditch that for a hybrid. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

50 Cleveland RTX 4

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

As my swing gets better, I am going backwards - dropped the 6H 3 yrs ago, dropped the 5H this year, seeing if I can swing a 4i and go to a 3H.

Bag starts out Driver, 16.5, 5 wood or 19Hy or both then 5-PW ...

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Red 17 ● TEE EXS 220 3, 5 wd/GD AD F 55 and 65, TEE EXS 220 4HY/GD AD HY 65 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 48, 53, 58 Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 115 ● Swag Savage Too

It’s been a strange few years when it’s come to my bag setup..last year I added a 5 wood for the first time in almost 30 years, it’s become my favorite club!! I’ve been experimenting with different hybrids all year trying to find the right set up for me and my course. Ended up with Titleist 818 H1s but still messing around with the right set up. Right now the 21* & 25* are in the bag...with the 25* replacing my 5 iron, it’s good for 165-175 yds. 
This getting old really sucks!!

Edited by tbccgolfer
  • Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Alta 55 S
  • Woods - Callaway Epic 15* Hzurdus 6.0 /  Callaway Epic 18* (19*) Hzurdus 5.5
  • Hybrids - Titliest 818 H1 21* Tensei Red R / Titliest 818 H1 25*(24*) Tensei Red R
  • Irons -  Callaway Rogue Pro 5-PW UST Recoil ES 460 F3
  • Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT /  Callaway PM Grind 54* KBS HiSpin 115
  • Putter - Odyssey O-Works 7 34.5” ... Golf Pride SNSR Contour Pro
  • Ball - Titliest ProV1x left dash
  • Grips -  Golf Pride Tour Velvet 58R one wrap RH 

At the beginning of last season, I thought hard about how many good shots I'd hit the previous season with my 5i. When I couldn't think of one, I replaced my 5i with an i25 26* and haven't looked back. More consistent from all lies leading to more confidence. I discovered I can hit low recovery shots (which was my last reason for keeping a 5i) with my 6i very easily. 

I wish the i25-like hybrids would come back. The only company I know still making 'new' ones is Ben Hogan. For my 5h, I prefer a compact profile compared to a wood or half wood. 

I don't see myself with an iron longer than a 6 ever again.

Edited by Konklifer
  • Like 2
PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°, 58°
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow
On 10/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, acemandrake said:

The loft & ease of use make the 5H a very versatile club for multiple situations & yardages.

A 5-iron is more of a precision club.

So...ease of use vs. greater control.  Might as well use both.

If you actually read many of the pro 5hy comments they are basically saying they have better control AND ease of use resulting in better shots(which is what we are all trying to do) with the 5hy. Its not a matter of choosing one or the other its getting both from one club, 5yh,  and neither from the other, 5i, so why bother carrying it. It might not be that way for everyone but it certainly seems that way for those posting in this thread.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 Tour 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

My 6i (27degree) carry distance is average 175. My 5h (bend to 27 degree) is 190 average with very high ball flight and very little roll out and much easier to hit than my set 5i. It’s a gap that works for me. You just have to find one that works for you. Don’t just go by what manufacture says at the bottom of the club. 

• Like 1

Cobra F9

Ping G410 5W 17.5 
Cobra F9 21h
Callaway Apex 5h Fourteen TC788 6-PW
Bettinardi 50, Taylormade 54, 58
Toulon San Francisco Putter

55 minutes ago, chal0072 said:

My 6i (27degree) carry distance is average 175. My 5h (bend to 27 degree) is 190 average with very high ball flight and very little roll out and much easier to hit than my set 5i. It’s a gap that works for me. You just have to find one that works for you. Don’t just go by what manufacture says at the bottom of the club. 

This. When I retooled out of my 4, 5, 6 irons, I began by setting the loft adjustments in standard increments keeping them even. After some range work and on course experience, I've since adjusted them to fit the gaps and not the loft stamped on the club. 

This has really been interesting to me. I have gotten worse with my long irons over the years, but gotten "better" at hitting hybrids. I have a 3 and 4 hyb that I can stripe on a relatively consistent basis, and I'm thinking, why not do the same for my 5i?

6 iron is short enough where I can put a confident enough hit on it.

Having a 5 hybrid has no curb appeal, but I'm willing to put results over ego, especially if it allows me to shoot low scores.

Edited by titleistforged
  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max 9 Project X Evenflow T1100 White 65 6.0

Cobra King LTD @ 16.5 Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S

PXG 0317 X Gen 2 19, 22 MCA MMT 80 S

Sub70 639 CB 5-PW Project X Graphite 6.0

TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 50 True Temper Dynamic Gold S200

TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 56, 60

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black

Sun Mountain 2.5+

Bench: SM8 54, 60; Vapor Fly Pro 4i; putters; driver shafts; Titleist Cart 7 bag; Miura CB-2008 8-PW

On 10/18/2020 at 4:58 AM, jomatty said:

In the early 90’s I could hit a 3 iron no problem.  Those 845’s were great.  While I agree with you some, the modern balls just seem harder to hit with longer irons.  I don’t think that learning to hit a hybrid or fairway wood is bad technique so much as different technique.  I can’t see why anyone who doesn’t have serious club head speed would hit a 4 iron or below.  It just seems unnecessarily  difficult.

100% accurate. Today's balls spin much less in general. I can stop a 4-iron OK with Pro V1x (high flying, high spinning) but that's just about it. 

The only long iron in my bag is the 5i which I hit sufficiently good. After than I have a 3h. I did have an extended 2h but I had problems with consistency because of the longer length and small head size so I am switching it out for a 5 wood. I expect as I get older I'll switch out the 5i too. 

Edited by chipa

Macgregor M-38 9.5 88g* - Mondeo 5w 110g - Heater BMT-3 4i 96g  - Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, 95g  - Maltby LW - Bionik 105. * Installed shaft weight, all shafts steel except driver.

18 hours ago, Konklifer said:

I wish the i25-like hybrids would come back. The only company I know still making 'new' ones is Ben Hogan. For my 5h, I prefer a compact profile compared to a wood or half wood.

RIght?!  That's why I just re-shafted an old Hogan CFT 5h.

I was not aware of the i25 hybrids. I will check them out on eBay.

Callaway does have the Apex 19 in 26* 5h, although I wouldn't want to play it at the 39" stock length.

5 minutes ago, MartinKB said:

RIght?!  That's why I just re-shafted an old Hogan CFT 5h.

I was not aware of the i25 hybrids. I will check them out on eBay.

Callaway does have the Apex 19 in 26* 5h, although I wouldn't want to play it at the 39" stock length.

I do like the look of the Apex's. I will say, the upcoming G425's have my interest now that they've ditched the turbulators. I like them on my driver, but glad they're not on the new fw's and hybrids.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°, 58°
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow

It's been many years since I've carried a 5 iron; haven't ordered one in the last three set of irons I've bought, and no fitter has ever even suggested that I should.  The 5H is just a lot easier to use.  The ONLY time I miss a long iron is for punch shots out of the trees, and that's not really a bag setup problem.

There was a period of time where I carried a 6H instead of a 6i, but I backtracked on that several years ago.  I can still hit the 6i ok, and it's significantly more accurate than the 6h, at least for me.

23 hours ago, Bad9 said:

If you actually read many of the pro 5hy comments they are basically saying they have better control AND ease of use resulting in better shots(which is what we are all trying to do) with the 5hy. Its not a matter of choosing one or the other its getting both from one club, 5yh,  and neither from the other, 5i, so why bother carrying it. It might not be that way for everyone but it certainly seems that way for those posting in this thread.

I was thinking that the 5H is longer & more versatile than a 5i but the 5i is easier to hit different yardages than a 5H.

Ever try to hit a knockdown 5H?

19 minutes ago, acemandrake said:

I was thinking that the 5H is longer & more versatile than a 5i but the 5i is easier to hit different yardages than a 5H.

Ever try to hit a knockdown 5H?

Yes. Its not really a problem.

• Like 2

Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 10/19/2020 at 7:28 AM, Argonne69 said:

Bah. Of course you can. My lowest lofted iron is a 7 iron, and I can punch out like the best of them. Simply play the ball back in your stance a bit, and/or forward press, and the ball comes out low.

I respectfully disagree. Of course you can just chip out but I am talking about about keeping it low and hitting  it some distance, like 150-220 yards. If you can do it, more power to you.

8 hours ago, golfandtennisfan said:

I respectfully disagree. Of course you can just chip out but I am talking about about keeping it low and hitting  it some distance, like 150-220 yards. If you can do it, more power to you.

Again its not an issue. Mechanics are the same as trying to do it with an iron.

• Like 1

Mizuno Bettinardi C06

9 hours ago, golfandtennisfan said:

Do it frequently. Not a problem. I was 150 yds out in the left rough yesterday, and had a big tree in my way. I couldn't make a standard swing with the lower branches in the way, so I had to hit a low hook/draw, and run the ball up the front of the green to the back pin. 'Worked like a charm.

Curious, do you hit a high fade naturally, or a low draw? My natural shot is a (trap) draw, so I generally hit the ball low to start. If I play the ball a few inches back in my stance the ball really comes out low. I started to work on a fade this season, and I can see it being an issue if one gets the ball airborne quickly.

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

On 10/17/2020 at 11:32 AM, nitram said:

I know it sounds so "old man" but if you want to make a change in your 5-iron slot and can't seem to get along with a hybrid, give the 9-wood a try. You may be pleasantly surprised. 

This.  All of this.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)