5 Hybrid vs. 5 Iron

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last year I took my 3,4,5,6 irons out of my bag and replaced them with 4,5,6 hybrids. My long iron game has improved tremendously. Way fewer miss hits and my misses are always close to the green. I am

I replaced my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid. I find it far easier to hit than my 5 iron. I also took my 6 iron out of the bag so now my longest iron is a 7. I now carry a 3, 4, and 5 hybrid since they're so

5i? That's so last month    6h is where the fun is at

Posted Images

Played a long wet track today and dragged out a 28* 6h Adams tour issue proto a12 that I’ve had for years

dropped a KK 90 shaft in it recently ... so

@Obeewill appreciate this, it was ridiculously solid, and I hit three greens today from 190 out !!!

ps won a KP with my 5h on a 207 yard par 3

i smell the 6i having a high likelihood of dropping next season 

The thing to remember is the current 6i has the loft of an older 4i ... and we play lower spinning balls

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

Not to thread jack, but I have a question about shaft length. I just bought a 27 degree Titleist H1 hybrid from 2nd Swing in an attempt to replace my 5 iron. The club is currently playing 40" long, which makes me think someone just took the shaft from a 21 degree hybrid and stuck it in there. If I was to cut the shaft down to the stock length of 38.5" would I need to add weight to the head to make up for the lost length or not really because the club is designed to play at that 38.5" length? I haven't been able to swingweight it to check to see what it's currently playing at. It just got delivered and I won't get it out to the course until Sunday.

@jcvandamme No worries. When you change length, you change the headweight feel. Whenever you cut down a shaft, the head feels lighter and you need to add headweight.  Good news is that you can experiment with double density lead-tape, then buy the weight you need through a third party vendor like billybobsgolf or ebay.  

After you cut the shaft: Cutting 1" is changes headfeel by 3 swingweights lighter. 2g is one swing weight heavier. So you need to add about 6 grams of headweight to get the swingweight back. Cutting 1 1/2" is 4.5 swingweights lighter or about 8g to 9gs you need to add back into the head to get the same feel. Start with adding 6g, then add 2g increments every 2-3 swings. Find the weight you like, then keep adding weight in two gram increments every 2-3 swings until it gets too heavy. Then go back to your desired weight. This is just double checking that the weight that tested the first time is still correct even after you are warmed up.

-JJ

49 minutes ago, JJgolfwrx said:

@jcvandamme No worries. When you change length, you change the headweight feel. Whenever you cut down a shaft, the head feels lighter and you need to add headweight.  Good news is that you can experiment with double density lead-tape, then buy the weight you need through a third party vendor like billybobsgolf or ebay.  

After you cut the shaft: Cutting 1" is changes headfeel by 3 swingweights lighter. 2g is one swing weight heavier. So you need to add about 6 grams of headweight to get the swingweight back. Cutting 1 1/2" is 4.5 swingweights lighter or about 8g to 9gs you need to add back into the head to get the same feel. Start with adding 6g, then add 2g increments every 2-3 swings. Find the weight you like, then keep adding weight in two gram increments every 2-3 swings until it gets too heavy. Then go back to your desired weight. This is just double checking that the weight that tested the first time is still correct even after you are warmed up.

-JJ

Thanks JJ. I get what you're saying because I did the same thing with my driver since I play it at 44.5" and added a bunch of lead tape to account for the shortened shaft.

I guess what I'm asking is this: if a longer than standard shaft is currently in the club, wouldn't that make it a heavier than normal swingweight since it's currently playing longer than standard? If I cut it down to what the standard length is, shouldn't that bring the swingweight back to what it should be since the shaft length is now back to normal? I assume that Titleist would put a slightly heavier weight in the bottom of the club to account for the shorter length that the 27 degree would be played at. Or am I way off with that thinking?

FWIW the shaft is an Atmos Blue Tour Spec 85 gram.

Went out yesterday w/ a 24* Titleist hybrid set to 25. It was deadly on the range but flew really high on the course which killed me into the wind. Sorry gents, 5h is not for me.

This week`s Starting Line-Up:

Ping G400 LST 10* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Rogue SZ 15* w/ Px Evenflow Blue 75 6.0
Cally 416 19* Hybrid w/ Diamana S+ 82g Stiff
Bridgestone J40 Combo 4-P w/ Steelfiber i95 Stiff
52*, 56*, 60* Vokey SM5's
Ping Ti Anser Wrx

What shaft I must ask

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x : Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 63x
Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard 73x : Callaway Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki 82x

Callaway Apex CF16 5i AD DI 85x  :  6i - PW Recoil Prototype 95 f4
Vokey SM2 50*  Vokey SM2 TVD 54*m & 59*m DG s400 Onyx

Callaway ‘19 PM Grind 64* DG s400 Onyx ~~ Piretti Matera Elite

On 10/22/2020 at 10:38 PM, jcvandamme said:

Not to thread jack, but I have a question about shaft length. I just bought a 27 degree Titleist H1 hybrid from 2nd Swing in an attempt to replace my 5 iron. The club is currently playing 40" long, which makes me think someone just took the shaft from a 21 degree hybrid and stuck it in there. If I was to cut the shaft down to the stock length of 38.5" would I need to add weight to the head to make up for the lost length or not really because the club is designed to play at that 38.5" length? I haven't been able to swingweight it to check to see what it's currently playing at. It just got delivered and I won't get it out to the course until Sunday.

Depends which weight is currently in the head, if its an 818 you'll have the cartridge which will have the weight on it.  I think 816 still have the sole weight, red dot used to be the stock which would swing weight at around D1-D2 at the standard length of 38.5" for the 27*.  Weights available for the 818 were 10, 12, 14, 16, 18g with the 14 being stock.  For the 816 it was 6, 9, 11, 13, 16g, with the 11 being stock.  Your SW is probably close to E0 with a shaft that is 1.5" over standard.  Even if your club has the lightest weight, you should still be at a high C SW if you cut the shaft, easy enough to fix with a bit of lead tape.

Edited by Tommyj

I replaced my 5 iron with a 5 hybrid a couple years ago. I can hit shots with the 5 hybrid that i couldn't dream of hitting with the iron. The hybrid is a much easier club for me to use from all lies.

Cobra F8
Ping G25 3 wood
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i e1 6- uw
Ping Tour Glide 56 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

Rather than talking about replacing the '5 iron' it would make more sense to talk about the loft of the iron you are replacing. I still play a 27° 5 iron and love it. But it would be considered a 6 iron in most modern sets or even a 7 iron in some recent releases. Yesterday I played with an older set of RAC LT irons and hit several sweet, sweet shots with the 27° 5 iron. I still game a 24° 4 iron and I am definitely not as consistent with that club. I have tried replacing it with a 23° hybrid but whilst I love the hybrid it hits further and is just a very different club with different purpose for me. So I get replacing the 21°-24° clubs with hybrids but the 27° club (my 5 iron) is still the optimum long iron for me before I transition to a hybrid/utility iron type replacement. 

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

On 10/16/2020 at 8:53 PM, rwl said:

. Anyone have experience replacing their 5 iron & if so, w/ what? Thanks.

Tried it and did not like it. My distance control and accuracy was not as good with a 5 hybrid as it is with a 5-iron.

That said a regular playing partner of mine is a legitimate scratch handicap, sometimes he shoots in the 60's, and the longest iron he carries is an 8.

He's goy in his bag 7, 6, 5, 4 and 3 hybrids.