One day to the next?

I wonder if there's actually a real scientific explanation for this frustrating phenomenon that I'm sure has plagued most golfers. I'm talking about playing to ones normal expectations for the most part, then suddenly going to playing absolutely so terribly bad. 

I'm very realistic in my playing ability. I took a couple of lessons 5 years ago, and since that time have played well for me, all things considering. Mentioning this, as I really don't need to make any changes in my swing. 

To be more specific, have played really well most of this strange golf year. Played about 30 rounds of golf. 2 rounds ago, I hit it absolutely rock solid. Then, played the other day, and hit it so bad i was in shock. I realize over the course of a golf season that you'll have your best and worst rounds, but it's more than that. Is it something that I should just forget about, and just try again another day? Sort of just sleep it off? Just what causes such a collapse? 

Titleist TS3 9.5d. 

Titleist 917f3 13.5d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon U-85 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My three last Saturdays were 78-90-80. 78 I hit wonderful, wedges and putter standard;90 I played awful golf tee to green 18 holes; 80 I hit just ok but putting was strong and I didn’t make big mistak

When I played a lot I would do the same thing. One or two rounds a year that were so bad it felt like I’d never played before. As I’ve gotten older and have looked back it was a mental thing with me.

All valid theories so far. I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly physical. Some days it seems like I'm taking the same swing, but subtle timing and rhythm changes that can happen to an aging bo

Being logical if you’re really inconsistent it’s more likely than not your technique isn’t great, but what’s probably even more important is ‘understanding’ your swing. i.e if you’ve just hit a high block with a driver do you know your swing well enough that you can guarantee you won’t do it on the next tee?

current swing coached by wrxers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

My three last Saturdays were 78-90-80. 78 I hit wonderful, wedges and putter standard;90 I played awful golf tee to green 18 holes; 80 I hit just ok but putting was strong and I didn’t make big mistakes. I have no clue why we are like such a rollercoaster at our level. I think it’s something to do with rhythm, but this is not the whole equation. 

• Like 1

When I played a lot I would do the same thing. One or two rounds a year that were so bad it felt like I’d never played before. As I’ve gotten older and have looked back it was a mental thing with me. Something prior to playing would be off, issues at work or home, sometimes big sometimes small , and I couldn’t clear my mind and relax or concentrate. This would lead to physical tension within myself which really messed up my swing and feel. I would compound rounds that started off this way by allowing my mind and temperament to accelerate. This was a thing I did in other sports that worked for that sport but really isn’t helpful while golfing. This may or may not pertain to you but finding a way to slow my brain and emotions helped in eliminating those types of rounds.

• Like 1

For me, I think it's compensation.  I get flippy and if my timing isn't right, it's game over.  Sometimes I'm on and I'm killing it.  Sometimes there is nothing I can do to even make solid contact.

My dad is a much better golfer than I.  He's a single digit handicap.  Even so, he has ups and downs as well.  Sometimes he'll just get what I can only describe as a mental block and then it's shank city.

For some I think it could be nerves.  Others drinking.  Some health.  There a lots of reasons to run hot and cold.

Edited by bonvivantva

All valid theories so far. I've come to the conclusion that it's mostly physical. Some days it seems like I'm taking the same swing, but subtle timing and rhythm changes that can happen to an aging body from one day to the next will throw things out of whack.

The golf season is winding down quickly here in the Northeast, so I hope I get another opportunity to avenge my last round. Absolutely hate finishing the season on a low note.  

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 9.5d. 

Titleist 917f3 13.5d. 

Titleist 818h2 17d. 

WIlson Staff C300 forged 4-pw

Srixon U-85 20d. 

Scratch 8620 53d. 

Odyssey white hot pro