Working on AoA and power from the ground

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lots of good looking stuff there! It definitely looks like you have the legs to create some great power from the ground. The main thing that stands out though is what looks like some weight shifting i

Wow thanks for the quick and thorough reply. Loving the pictures as a comparison. I've got something to work on. I'm gonna give it a go. Since starting this first change (using the left leg as a power

My pleasure! Stacking up on the front leg can definitely have some appeal and for some people it can reduce the number of moving parts which makes things feel more connected, especially with shorter s

Posted Images

Lots of good looking stuff there! It definitely looks like you have the legs to create some great power from the ground. The main thing that stands out though is what looks like some weight shifting issues, similar to the video I replied to the other night. 

From the face on view, it looks like you are resisting letting that weight get to the back leg in the backswing, and it looks like you may even be stacking on the FRONT leg. I imagine this is what created your original steep AoA, as stacking up on the front leg will encourage you to hit down steeply. The problem is that to utilize the ground, your weight has to stack up in that right leg/hip behind the ball, then move forward into your front leg to start the downswing. With your weight stacked up forward, there is nowhere to go to create that power, which is what we see in transition. As you're rotating and clearing your hips (which you do very well!), your weight doesn't have anywhere to go but backwards, as shown in your finishing position which instead of being posted up on the front leg, you're kind of leaning back on the ball of your right foot. Here are some comparison images:

1604760599_ScreenShot2020-10-17at12_40_51PM.png.bc314a5fdba7da204ba238db830154ec.png1645911179_ScreenShot2020-10-17at12_47_15PM.png.a27865708596244ad7cedf3660a7c274.png

Rory with his weight up on that lead leg, you with your weight fallen backwards onto your trail foot. All that is really needed is for you to commit to getting that weight loaded into your right thigh/hip on the way back and start your transition by moving it towards the front leg, everything else should fall into place after that as most of the rest of your mechanics seem pretty sound. 

• Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

15 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

Wow thanks for the quick and thorough reply. Loving the pictures as a comparison. I've got something to work on. I'm gonna give it a go. Since starting this first change (using the left leg as a power source) I gained a lot of consistency and an extra 5 to 10 yards.

My pleasure! Stacking up on the front leg can definitely have some appeal and for some people it can reduce the number of moving parts which makes things feel more connected, especially with shorter shots which are often played that way anyway, but it is really the transition that throws a wrench into the concept. In any other sport; Football, Baseball, Bowling, and just about anything involves using our bodies to generate power to propel an object, weight goes back and then it goes forward. None of those sports have any real "alternate" methods that involve breaking that rule. The advent and adoption of force plates to measure weight distribution and movement in the golf swing has really given us a look at this as well. A quote about the Boditrak Force Plate:

Weight Transfer = Power

The majority of tour pros manage to produce phenomenal power with nothing but the lower body.

The majority of them exert 80% pressure on their backswing leg and 80% on the front leg on impact.

Some pros like Jason Day, measured on BodiTrak, go up to 95% pressure at the top of their backswing.

Some teachers differ in terms of weight distribution at address, but even Sean Foley who has been accused of using "Stack and Tilt" styles of teaching, still advocates for the same thing:

55ad98ccb01eefe207f7b9ab_instruction-2014-07-inar01-sean-foley-weight-shift.jpg

This is for the longer clubs by the way. As the club gets shorter, you should naturally have a less exaggerated shift to the back leg. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid

Been playing with this feeling with swings without a ball in my living room. It was (for me) only a little adjustment to get 95 percent of the weight on my lead leg at the end of the swing. Let's hope I keep a positive AoA with my drive, because it feels like I hit the ball early in my swing arc (because of the weight shift). Will go to the DR soon and try to make a video analysis. 

I think training a feeling and confirming it with video is one of the best forms of training. Ballflight and contact will come later in the training and improve over time when everything settles in naturally.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, berndgeurts said:

Been playing with this feeling with swings without a ball in my living room. It was (for me) only a little adjustment to get 95 percent of the weight on my lead leg at the end of the swing. Let's hope I keep a positive AoA with my drive, because it feels like I hit the ball early in my swing arc (because of the weight shift). Will go to the DR soon and try to make a video analysis. 

I think training a feeling and confirming it with video is one of the best forms of training. Ballflight and contact will come later in the training and improve over time when everything settles in naturally.

Yeah that is the other thing about keeping your weight forward; it is almost impossible to hit up on the ball without falling backwards to some extent.