2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Notes from Bandon Trip - Oct 7-10

dcmidnight

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I'm not always really great at a timeline type trip report so this is more just some general random ramblings...

My buddy @thechief16 and I went out for 5 nights from Northern Virginia. 

Day 1 - Bandon / Trails

Day 2 - Pac / OM

Day 3 - SR / Pac

Day 4 - Bandon / SR

Flights

Dulles to Seattle. Layover. 45 min flight to Eugene. 2.5 hour drive to Bandon with a stop for dinner at SharkBites Cafe in Coos Bay. A+ tacos.

So everyone we talked to at Bandon that flew into North Bend recommended flying into Eugene or told us that they *used* to fly into NB and now fly into Eugene. First off, there are a ton of flights from Seattle into Eugene if one gets delayed. So you are never worried there. And do you really want to take the risk of the wind shutting down the North Bend airport? Two guys we got paired up with for a couple of rounds, they had their NB flight cancelled because of wind and ended up in San Francisco for the night. Definitely glad we made the choice we did. Even the guy we played with at Sheep Ranch on the last day who lives in OR said oh yeah, definitely fly into Eugene.

Repeat? - Zero regrets, will absolutely do this itinerary again.

Room

14 months ago when I booked, the Lodge was sold out so we got Golf King Singles at the Inn. Rooms at the Inn were great - I think they were even better than staying at the Lodge. Equidistant from the Lodge and the Trails clubhouse/restaurant. Easy walk. Good view of 18th green at Bandon. Really just your basic golf trip room, no complaints. Lily Pond rooms were right across the street from the Inn. The Grove and Chrome Lake are down the road maybe...1/4 mile, no more. But again, shuttles are all over the place and if you drive, there's plenty of parking everywhere.

Repeat? - Absolutely. I liked being within walking distance to Trails and a little removed from the Lodge.

Equipment

Just about every single trip report I read before said the same thing - leave your wedges at home, leave your lob wedge at home, you can putt everything around the greens, blah blah blah. I found that to be - for the most part - complete nonsense. Now the caveat is if you are even moderately confident in your chipping. You are going to have a lot of bunkers and swales to chip over - you cant always just putt everything. But save for a couple of really bad shots, I used the 62* around the greens all week. If there is dew in the morning or the ground is wet its just not always practical to putt from 20 yards off the green just for the sake of putting.

The other thing not to bother with is the waterproof bags. If it rains, it will be raining so hard it doesnt matter - everything is getting wet. Bring the lightest stand bag you can get away with but dont bother wasting money on a waterproof one. Caddie concurred with this.

I lost 7 balls in 8 rounds and I think 6 of those were in the fog in the first couple of rounds and at least two were great drives right on my intended line that just got lost. I got through four rounds with one ball and finally pulled it out of play to save it bc it was too good to be true. On one hole I actually "lost" it in the fog - caddie said he knew right where it was - well on the next hole walking down the fairway, we saw it and had no idea how we missed it the first time. "For the most part" the fairways are VERY wide open. Extremely playable courses all around.

Its pretty easy to make your bag as light as you can for the caddie. Pull all your towels off, rangefinder, extra bag tags and balls. Will be very much appreciated.

Bring clothes for every kind of weather. One round we started in sun, had sprinkles on the 4th hole, absolute monsoon for 4 holes - then bright sun for the back nine.

Repeat? - Would make zero equipment changes.

Shoes

Another thing I read a lot about was wearing shoes like the Trues and how much easier they were to walk in.Truth is, the Trues killed my feet the one afternoon I wore them. The turf/ground at Bandon is extremely hard and the lack of padding did me no favors over those 15,000 steps - it felt like walking barefoot on cement, nothing like golf in the DC area. So I didnt change shoes midday and just wore my FootJoys ProSLs the rest of the time and they were way, way comfier. I changed socks in between rounds but that was it. Had no feet issues other than the general soreness of close to 30k steps between golf and resort walking. For the rain round I had the Adidas Climaproof boots. Rock solid.

Repeat? - Would only bring my FJ shoes and Adidas boots. No need to changes shoes if you dont want.

Service

The service there was A+ from top to bottom. The only thing I found...a little weird based on other resort trips was that they dont take your clubs to your next tee time. I've played at a bunch of places where if you are playing 36 a day - or multiple days - they just throw a tag on your bag and you never worry about your clubs again the rest of the trip. At Bandon you take your clubs with you everywhere. Not a huge deal or even a deal at all - just something I found strange. It seems to be a place that is perfectly setup for something like that but they dont for whatever reason. Seems like a weird thing to make note of but I did.

But a few examples. One on the first night, we were exhausted and really didnt feel like going to Guest Services to retrieve our clubs. No problem, they will deliver them. One morning I bought some more stuff at the gift shop and asked if I could leave it with them rather than have my caddie lug it around - no problem, they just deliver it back to your room. And I asked this morning for a copy of my bill, got it back in five minutes.

They just 100% have their stuff together - as you would expect.

Food

Had some great meals and had some OK meals. We did not do breakfast as we were usually the first tee time out. Dinners at McKees - or takeout from McKees - or Trails. All very good The meatloaf that everyone loses their S over - it was fine. It was meatloaf. I wouldn't go back for it or eat it every night like some people asked. The chicken pot pie was 10x better than the meatloaf. Trails food was very good, really interesting menu, probably would eat a couple more meals there next time. And again its the great thing about being at the Inn, it was an easy walk up the hill. Did lunch at SR one day, excellent hot ham/cheese sandwich.

Courses

Not at all tough for me to rate my favorites.

1 - Sheep

1a - Bandon / Trails / Pac

2 - Old Mac

If I had to play 10 rounds

Sheep - 5

Bandon 2

Trails - 2

Pac - 1

Its like rating 5 star resorts though, something has to be on the bottom of the list but its really not on the "bottom" of any lists. I didn't like Old Mac as much for a couple reasons but again - it was still fun. The one thing that quirked me was the yardages. The green tees were the perfect choice for the week as most of them played 6200-6300 yards. But Old Mac breaks them out at 2800/3500 yards. A 3500 yard 9 back 9 is a really odd choice for a tee box where most people who choose a 6300 yard tee box, they aren't used to playing 3500 yard 9 holes. It was definitely the most grindy 9 holes. Not nearly as much fun as say, every hole at Sheep Ranch.

Sheep Ranch to me was everything that a golf course should be. Fun. Open. Scoreable. Visually intimidating at times. Easy at others. Short holes, long holes, great par 3s. Tough but fair greens - nothing that could be considered quirky like Old Mac. Just top to bottom, 100% everything I love about golf. Its all open so you can see/hear everything going on around the course. You can see or hear or smell the ocean on parts of every hole. GD it was just a fun, fun round(s) of golf. I cant say enough about how much I loved it.

Had no interest in the Punchbowl. Our caddie said guys will spend hours out there. But if I'm taking 12+ hours to travel all the way out there from the East Coast, I'm going to be playing real golf during all daylight hours. Just not for me. I wish we had time to play Preserve but with the daylight, we had time for 36 and that was about it. It looks amazing but I am still glad we did not pass up any of our replays for it.

Merch

Lets be clear, I have a very serious problem when it comes to cool s*** on a trip like this. So I knew this would be an issue bc every clubhouse has different merch with the different logos. The selection varies just enough that you cant stop yourself from buying more of it. OK, thats probably just me. I think my final count was 5 polos, a quarter zip, a short sleeve waterproof, a long sleeve Zero Restriction wind jacket with the SR logo (best purchase), two regular hats, a winter hat, three headcovers and a bunch of smalls.

Shipsticks

Cannot recommend this enough. Sign up for their email list, you will get deals or coupons or specials every few weeks. They will pickup at your house if you want - I dropped them off bc there is a FedEx store right near my office - and my clubs all got back safetly. Bandon is setup to deal with them and actually on the night we arrived, they delivered our clubs to our room. If you are packing a large bag, they do luggage too. Cannot recommend enough.

Repeat? - Absoultely.

What would I do different

Not sure, honestly. I guess if I had a group coming in from Eugene I would strongly consider paying for a shuttle service to take you from the airport to the resort vs renting 2-3 large cars. There are so many shuttles on the resort itself, you definitely dont *need* one on property. I would even consider doing that next time so we could sleep on the ride back to Eugene at 5am.

Maybe I would add a 5th golf day to do another 18 and then the Preserve?

Honestly it was such a perfect trip I really cant think of anything that negative that I would have to change for next time.

Will find my top 10 pics to post too.

Awesome review! Super thorough.  What raingear did you bring? And overall how did you play?

I have a great pair of Galvin Green Gore Tex rain pants. Rain pants IMO are the most important piece of gear as you can also wear them on a cold morning with shorts underneath if its going to warm up later. Short sleeve Sunice rain jacket and a long sleeve Zero Restriction. Taylormade gore tex rain hat and rain gloves.

I played well most of the week. I thought that all of these courses are very playable and if you can keep the ball in play off the tee you can score well out there. 

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Such a great recap, bravo!!

I'm with you 100% on the meatloaf at McKee's; I think I had heard so many good things about it that it didn't live up to the hype. Agreed on Trails End too - my favorite dining out there.

Some incredible pictures you posted, too!

My one regret was not playing Sheep in the afternoon, the sunset pictures you posted are incredible. How was the wind that round in the PM?

Edited by Lefty_89

The wind was not that bad our whole trip - I think at SR that afternoon it was maybe 12-15? 

But that was part of our problems with the fog in the morning. No wind = fog stays around longer.

The menu at Trails was the most innovative that we saw. And by innovative I mean other than just your usual bar/restaurant food. For lunch our caddie recommended the potstickers and poke bowl - both A+. Huge portions. Breakfast menu looked great as well but again, we never ate breakfast.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Not much I can add to @dcmidnight's review.  My course rankings are pretty similar.  I'd want another crack at OldMac.  We played it in dense fog for holes 5-17, I don't feel like I can give it a fair rating.  We also had fog for our first runs at BD and PD, but played them again, so we were able to get a better feel.

All the courses are so playable.  I brought my D game for pretty much the entire trip, and almost always had some shot after I hit a bad one.

We got very little wind the entire trip.  Got all the rest of the weather -- sun, clouds, rain and lots of fog.

I, of course, did NOT have my rain pants for the 8 holes we played in the rain.  There was like a 10% chance of light rain for 30 minutes, so I got burned on that decision. That's the Oregon coast for you.  Not too bad, though.  I had on lightweight Nike DriFit pants.  They were almost dry by the time our round was done.  As such, I would say RAIN GLOVES are the most indispensible item. 

• Like 2

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

33 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

The wind was not that bad our whole trip - I think at SR that afternoon it was maybe 12-15? 

But that was part of our problems with the fog in the morning. No wind = fog stays around longer.

The menu at Trails was the most innovative that we saw. And by innovative I mean other than just your usual bar/restaurant food. For lunch our caddie recommended the potstickers and poke bowl - both A+. Huge portions. Breakfast menu looked great as well but again, we never ate breakfast.

Not bad at all - my last round at Sheep the wind really picked up around hole 7 and was gusting probably 25-30 by the time we finished up at Noon.

Yup, we ended up liking Trails End and Pacific Grill the most for dining. Next trip I want to stay at The Inn; nothing wrong with the Lodge by any means, but it would be a nice change of scenery and the plus being closer to Bandon 18 / Trails.

Thanks again for sharing!

Great writeup!  Agree on the comments about switching up your clubs much.  There is definitely more precision required when chipping off those tight lies, but if you have confidence in your wedges, you are probably better off sticking with that than trying to learn a whole new skill (i.e., bump-n-runs with a 8 iron) in the moment.  Excellent point about putting through dew-ey grass, even if it's essentially cut as low as the greens.

Since the jacuzzi/sauna is currently closed due to covid, that eliminates the primary reason why I prefer to stay in the Lodge over the Inn.  Accommodations are arguably better (at least larger) for a single in the Inn as opposed to the Lodge.  And if you are liking the Trails restaurant over McKee's, it makes it a no-brainer.

Glad you enjoyed the trip, and thanks for the report and photos!

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

IMO, the meatloaf has changed over the years. It’s nowhere near what it used to be. About 3 years ago it changed and now looks like a processed slap of meatloaf. It used to look like a fresh homemade mountain. Not sure what happened or what they did to change it or why, cost? But it’s not the same and shouldn’t be raved about anymore. 

• Like 2

Maybe - it's hard to tell, for me.  I eat meatloaf once a year, so it's hard to keep track of how good it is/was. 

I think it is a natural progression of our tastes for restaurants and their menus, once we become accustomed to them, to slide toward "it used to be better."  I can't think of a restaurant that I have been going to for ten years that I don't say that about, even my longtime favorites.  Maybe they changed something, maybe the newness wore off.  Either way, it means I just need to explore some other menu items.

Fortunately, the golf courses never get old, tho....

I too have found the meatloaf to have declined over the years.  What we need is an expert meatloaf maker to chime in!  Personally, I think it's over mixed/handled, making it more bricklike.  I also wonder if they're made each day, or made in larger batches and reheated days later.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

On 10/19/2020 at 1:35 PM, spud3 said:

Great writeup!  Agree on the comments about switching up your clubs much.  There is definitely more precision required when chipping off those tight lies, but if you have confidence in your wedges, you are probably better off sticking with that than trying to learn a whole new skill (i.e., bump-n-runs with a 8 iron) in the moment.  Excellent point about putting through dew-ey grass, even if it's essentially cut as low as the greens.

Since the jacuzzi/sauna is currently closed due to covid, that eliminates the primary reason why I prefer to stay in the Lodge over the Inn.  Accommodations are arguably better (at least larger) for a single in the Inn as opposed to the Lodge.  And if you are liking the Trails restaurant over McKee's, it makes it a no-brainer.

Glad you enjoyed the trip, and thanks for the report and photos!

No doubt.  I was bummed about the sauna, but the Inn King rooms have jacuzzi tubs. It’s nice too as the water get very hot.. Good point ...  I’m liking the Inn as it’s away and 3 minute walk to BT.

Dunno about any of the other rooms but the Golf King rooms in the Inn - the ones with the view of BD18 - had no tub.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Great review and pics!!  Really cool to hear all of the praise for Sheep Ranch, can't wait to get out there again sometime and play it.

I think the wedge thing really depends on ability.  The OP is a 2.7 and probably doesn't mis-hit many chips or pitches.  The US AMs seemed to be playing the course like normal and didn't putt from off the green much, as I recall.  I'm an 8 and would definitely blade or chunk one or two each round on the really tight stuff, and a bladed wedge can turn a par into a triple really quick.  I typically pack an extra hybrid as a 15th club and may or may not switch it out with a wedge before a round depending on how things are going.  Agree that "leave the lob wedge at home" isn't good advice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, toddnt said:

No doubt.  I was bummed about the sauna, but the Inn King rooms have jacuzzi tubs. It’s nice too as the water get very hot.. Good point ...  I’m liking the Inn as it’s away and 3 minute walk to BT.

The King Rooms at the Inn have jacuzzi tubs? Can you or somebody confirm this? This could be a game changer staying at the Inn instead of the Lodge.

The time I stayed in a Golf King in the Inn there was no tub at all, just a shower.

In fact, the only tubs that I know on the whole property (besides the big jacuzzi downstairs in the Lodge) are in the NE and NW rooms, and they're not jacuzzi tubs

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:15 PM, bird206 said:

The King Rooms at the Inn have jacuzzi tubs? Can you or somebody confirm this? This could be a game changer staying at the Inn instead of the Lodge.

Got back yesterday.. Stayed at The Inn and the single King room had a jacuzzi bath tub.... And the water gets to 110,,,,, Way hot!

On 10/21/2020 at 4:15 PM, bird206 said:

I’m guessing there are more showers than tubs. I’ve always had a shower. Whether it was a golf course facing room, or a view of the parking lot.  On my last stay there, the woman next to my room had a tub.

Thank you for taking the time to share your amazing trip.  Great writeup.  I was last in Bandon in 2011 and would love to go back.  It was one my favorite trips.  Amazing photos.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 9.0 Aldila Rogue 130msi 70X

Cobra F7 Diamana Blueboard 80X

Callaway RAZR X Tour 18 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Callaway RAZR X Tour 21 degree GD AD-DI -95 HYB X-Stiff

Mizuno MP-64 4-PW KBS PGI 100

Fourteen 53 and 59 wedges DG S400

Byron Morgan DH89 34 inches/Odyssey Stroke Lab 7S 34 inches

• 5 weeks later...

1)  I think switching shoes after 18 is a godsend for my feet.  

2) I really enjoy Old Mac, and its back 9 has always kicked my rear....Never stopped to think about the yardage differential, that is a very interesting point.

3)  I have been on 3 different trips there and I am scheduled for number 4 in April.  I have been toying with the wedge issue myself.