2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Hand-rolled my own for the first time today.....

Looks pretty nice as far as I can tell.

Color me impressed  🙂 

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Nice job DJ.  Only way to learn how to wrap is to do it.  No expert here, but have done a few.  Was inspired to give it a go by watching an AP video, he was talking to the interviewer and wrapping a strap without looking at the same time.  Ha.  

Had accumulated several Neumann's, that I transferred over to a set of Citation persimmons.  After you get the hang of it, not all that difficult.  Once you get them started correctly, they sorta wrap themselves so to speak.  

What strap did you use?  Was it new with adhesive.  Or a transfer?  Has that classic, old school Mac spiral bead look to it.  Transferred a 50's era vintage Mac strap over to a putter and I surprised myself with how well it came out.  

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

It was some new old stock Macgregor wrap.  I had a leather underlisting but had to track down a collar so I wouldn’t have to just tape it.   

I saw the Arnold Palmer video where he is wrapping during an interview but it looked like he did it with no adhesive which I don’t see how that would last at all.   I think they just skipped that part to make it easier to wrap while being interviewed.

I installed the underlisting then tried putting two sided tape onto it but it didn’t stick well to the rubber.  I then decided to spray some Super 77 spray adhesive unto the underlisting but the Super 77 didn’t stick to the leather well.  Finally I sprayed some Super 77 onto the underlisting and the put the tape onto it and it held great. I wrapped the grip and held the bottom edge in place with more two sided tape before sliding the colloquial in place.

The real test will be in an hour or so when I head to the range with it to see if it holds up.

Yeah, conventional double-sided grip tape doesn't work.  As we've both discovered.  I used rubber cement on the regrips I did and seems to be holding.  However, one is a putter grip, and the others don't get played much.  The putter strap was a bit short, didn't have a grip collar, temporarily held in place with friction tape.  Then finally finished it with ~ .5" of whipping.  Kind of a old school hickory look. 

Thinking AP was using Lamkin leathers, since he rep'd the brand for so long.  Like Neumann's, they had adhesive on the strap.  Peel and stick makes the job easier.  

Someone once posted about using clear, double sided 3M carpet tape.  Wish I had written down the model number.  What I find at the home improvement stores is to thick.  You may already be aware, GW now sells underlistings with a fold down grip "collar".  

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Yeah, conventional double-sided grip tape doesn't work.  As we've both discovered.  I used rubber cement on the regrips I did and seems to be holding.  However, one is a putter grip, and the others don't get played much.  The putter strap was a bit short, didn't have a grip collar, temporarily held in place with friction tape.  Then finally finished it with ~ .5" of whipping.  Kind of a old school hickory look. 

Thinking AP was using Lamkin leathers, since he rep'd the brand for so long.  Like Neumann's, they had adhesive on the strap.  Peel and stick makes the job easier.  

Someone once posted about using clear, double sided 3M carpet tape.  Wish I had written down the model number.  What I find at the home improvement stores is to thick.  You may already be aware, GW now sells underlistings with a fold down grip "collar".  

I used double sided tape on all of the grips that I did and I never noticed any problem.  What sort of issue is there with double sided tape?

Something I have used is the E- 6000 glue in a tube that you can find in the adhesive section at Wal Mart. I have only used this on putter grips though using salvaged wraps from junk pile clubs and using ladies grips for a under listing.

And DJ interesting title you caught me but I was thinking surely he is from California and---- never mind you got me!

FYI back in the day I was a expert in rolling the left handed Marlboros

• Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

15 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Something I have used is the E- 6000 glue in a tube that you can find in the adhesive section at Wal Mart. I have only used this on putter grips though using salvaged wraps from junk pile clubs and using ladies grips for a under listing.

And DJ interesting title you caught me but I was thinking surely he is from California and---- never mind you got me!

FYI back in the day I was a expert in rolling the left handed Marlboros

Oh, I’ve had plenty of practice rolling paper, but never leather. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

When I worked in a club repair shop in the early 80's we used rubber cement on leather grips. Used to just put a slight wipe on the leading edge of the leather wrap.

Nice you found a collar for the grip. They do finish off the grip nicely. They were not that difficult to do once you do a couple.

Looks very nice.

• Like 1

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

7 minutes ago, jaworski said:

When I worked in a club repair shop in the early 80's we used rubber cement on leather grips. Used to just put a slight wipe on the leading edge of the leather wrap.

Nice you found a collar for the grip. They do finish off the grip nicely. They were not that difficult to do once you do a couple.

Looks very nice.

Yeah, I ordered some rubber cement from Amazon as I want to give that a try.   Seems it’s use was standard practice back in the day.

We only used rubber cement to put on all grips in our shop. We had a gallon of rubber cement on the bench and a half golf shaft. Dip the shaft into the rubber cement, jam it into a new grip, and slide the grip into the shaft. I did grips for 10 years like that and had no idea the rest of the world used tape and solvent.

Edited by Stephen8802
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

We only used rubber cement to put on all grips in our shop. We had a gallon of rubber cement on the bench and a half golf shaft. Dip the shaft into the rubber cement, jam it into a new grip, and slide the grip into the shaft. I did grips for 10 years like that and had no idea the rest of the world used tape and solvent.

This intrigues me.  Question, if you don't mind....  any sort of tape on the shaft, or just grip slipped on to bare shaft?

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

One layer of masking tape. We used the skinny kind and did a spiral wrap. It worked really well and was easy to clean up by rubbing off the excess.

If we needed more solvent to clean anything difficult, I'd walk out back to the gas pump for the carts and put a little gasoline into a jar. It was a simpler time than today, we didn't by a special tool or material for every sub task, we just used what we had or could modify.

By the way, I don't use either method now, I use my compressor and blow the grips on(with 5 layers of tape and a grip rib).

Edited by Stephen8802

Compressor is something I've avoided until now, but I'm thinking might be a good idea, if only for leather grip use...

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Well, my work held up and I love the feel of real leather grips so decided the Tour Editions needed some new leather wraps, Neumann this time.

Dang these feel so good to swing.

B853E81D-3A04-41DC-B887-9D592A2D7F02.jpeg

Those are sweet! Where did you find the wrap, or was it stashed away in your box of goodies?

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

9 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

You know those grips look really good to me.  The spacing of the wrap looks very close to perfect to my eye.  LOL I don't know that I got too many wrapped that well back when I used to do those.  

Thanks Nels.   I’m trying to master all the old techniques; refinishing, whipping, leather grip wrapping, etc.   Once my new shop is up and running I hope to tackle making hickory shafts at some point.  

The club on the far right is my Spalding E.V.-A sand club and it’s Neumann grip is from the factory.   The other 8 I did myself over the course of a few days.   It’s easy to see why they aren’t done anymore.  Very labor intensive.  It is a workout to pull them taught while wrapping, too.

As for the spacing of the wrapping, an old Maltby repair book I have states that when wrapping leather grips, more overlap will give a smoother less wrapped feel while spacing the wraps further apart (but obviously still completely covering the underlisting) will give more of a wrap feel.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Thanks Nels.   I’m trying to master all the old techniques; refinishing, whipping, leather grip wrapping, etc.   Once my new shop is up and running I hope to tackle making hickory shafts at some point.  

The club on the far right is my Spalding E.V.-A sand club and it’s Neumann grip is from the factory.   The other 8 I did myself over the course of a few days.   It’s easy to see why they aren’t done anymore.  Very labor intensive.  It is a workout to pull them taught while wrapping, too.

As for the spacing of the wrapping, an old Maltby repair book I have states that when wrapping leather grips, more overlap will give a smoother less wrapped feel while spacing the wraps further apart (but obviously still completely covering the underlisting) will give more of a wrap feel.

I read that book!  I tried wrapping them both ways and I liked the feel of the wraps when I tried spacing them a bit.  I have read that Trevino rewrapped his grips every night during a tournament, I guess to make sure that they were perfect.  I think that he said that most of the guys did the same, don't remember for sure...

• Like 1