I have been out of golf for a little over 20 years and recently got the bug to start playing again...  I am using my Ping ISI 2-GW with Rifle 6.5 shafts.  Back when I played on a consistent basis I got down to a 3 HC and had a decent game.  Obviously, my game and my swing are not nearly as strong as they were 20 years ago.  I still hit my irons roughly the same distance as I did but I feel like I am swinging telephone polls and would like to re-shaft my irons with Dynamic Gold S300 or R300...  

What I have noticed is the prices in golf shafts have increased dramatically in the last 20 years.  While shopping around for Dynamic Gold shafts I am seeing prices in the range of $23.99/shaft while finding complete new sets of Dynamic Gold shafts on ebay in the $90 range.  My questions are, are the Dynamic Gold shafts found for such lower prices genuine True Temper shafts?  Is there some difference I am missing between the $23.99/shaft Dynamic Golds and the $90/set Dynamic Golds?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably they are pretty abundant. Just be sure they are what you want. There's several varieties of DG. There's tour issue, 120's, SL's, AMT, XP's....it goes on. Tour issue tend to be the priciest. Basic full weight S300/S400 is probably what you are desiring seeing you have 6.5 Rifle. Possible you may want descending weight but constant is the standard. So in short, no, doubt there is a counterfeit ring involved here.

You can find the same set if that is what you want for like 1/3 of the cost of reshafting with new shafts.  Pulls will always be cheaper, but again, unless you are doing the work yourself, you'll be paying more.    

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

Hey guys...  thanks for the replies...  I will be doing the work myself.  I will have to dig all of my stuff out but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Before the ISI's I played 845's with DG X100's and really liked the ball flight.  I could do more with the ball as far as keeping the trajectory down.  I put the Rifles in my ISI's about a year or so before I got out of playing and never really liked the ball flight.  I also feel the Rifles gave sort of a "muted" feel and had to really work hard to keep the ball down.  As a comparison, I went to the range today and hit my son's Taylor Made 360's with 5.5 "flighted" Rifles.  I was about a club shorter than with the Pings and was hitting moon shots.  No matter what I did I could not keep the ball down...  I am sure a good deal of it has to do with the CG of the different club heads and I am sure my swing and ball striking is not what it used to be...

However, I really like the Rifles in the ISI long irons...  I will use my 2 iron off the tee on shorter par 4's or when the hole may be tight...  maybe I should be looking for a shaft that has a softer flex but will keep the same characteristics as my current shafts in the long irons but produce a lower flight in the short irons/wedges...  do you all have any suggestions?

Most likely what you will find on ebay are the real deal but never know if they are hard stepped or soft stepped or standard straight in...  Be sure to try and gather as much info as possible if you arent sure or maybe put out a WTB here for what you are looking for.  I am a big fan of DG and think that you can find them on the used market for a steal.  I am with you, DG are easier to flight down than any other shaft, but I can still hit them high or work either way.  I can't say that about other iron shafts even though I am a fan of a few others as well.  The DG S300 120 might be worth a look... a tad lighter than the regular s300 and feel a touch softer in flex to me.  

Ping G400 Max 9* PX HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/12 TI S400

Ping Anser Milled 2

10 hours ago, TonyDAnnunzio said:

Hey guys...  thanks for the replies...  I will be doing the work myself.  I will have to dig all of my stuff out but it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Before the ISI's I played 845's with DG X100's and really liked the ball flight.  I could do more with the ball as far as keeping the trajectory down.  I put the Rifles in my ISI's about a year or so before I got out of playing and never really liked the ball flight.  I also feel the Rifles gave sort of a "muted" feel and had to really work hard to keep the ball down.  As a comparison, I went to the range today and hit my son's Taylor Made 360's with 5.5 "flighted" Rifles.  I was about a club shorter than with the Pings and was hitting moon shots.  No matter what I did I could not keep the ball down...  I am sure a good deal of it has to do with the CG of the different club heads and I am sure my swing and ball striking is not what it used to be...

However, I really like the Rifles in the ISI long irons...  I will use my 2 iron off the tee on shorter par 4's or when the hole may be tight...  maybe I should be looking for a shaft that has a softer flex but will keep the same characteristics as my current shafts in the long irons but produce a lower flight in the short irons/wedges...  do you all have any suggestions?

Well Rifle's have  get up faster profile. You may be liking them in long irons for that reason. I like Rifle's too, but they are not low launch. I find Rifle in 5.0 & ones in 7.5 fly exactly the same in terms of launch & peak height. I will get a DG like launch if I play them like a knock down.  Good money spent here is go get a shaft fitting. Might be able to do it for free but there's a lot product out there and probably worth the time & money to explore this.

You can find brand new shafts on Ebay for much less than retail. I got a set of eight DG AMT Tour White (~$38 each) for $120.

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

Guys, thanks again for the replies and advice...

I went to the True Temper site and did their interactive "shaft fitting"...  I know it's not as accurate as going to a club fitter but right now my swing is so inconsistent and the closest club fitter I would trust is over an hour away...  the True Temper site suggested either a R300 or S300 as I hit my 7 iron between 155 and 160 yards not trying to "stand on it".  

I ended up ordering a set of Dynamic Gold S300's and am going to soft step them one step.  

Im 56 years old, hit my 7 iron 160, and play s300.

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 10.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 70S
Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 15° 3W - Attas Coool 6S
Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 2H 18° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 S

Bridgestone Tour B XD-H 3H 21° - KBS Tour Prototype 85 X
Nike VR Pro Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White S300 Onyx

Nike VR Pro 52°-10° Raw Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Nike VR Pro 58° DS Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx
Grips - Number One 50 Pro Series

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Srixon Q Star Tour

18 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

The DG S300 120 might be worth a look... a tad lighter than the regular s300 and feel a touch softer in flex to me.  

I have only played Dynamic Gold shafts since 1998, the s300 for the most part. My last 2 sets, MP20 and JPX 919F I ordered direct from Mizuno with the 120 version. To me the 120 feels slightly firmer/harsher, definitely not softer. Not enough to effect anything. I have heard similar from other Dynamic Gold fans. But everyone's feel is different.

Callaway B21 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Callaway B21 3W - Fuji Speeder 661 IV

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP32 (4-PW) - DG S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2