2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Clever ways to cheat that you should look out for...

2bGood

Every so often you see guys cheating in new and different ways. What are some of the more unexpected things to look out for?

Here are a few that surprised me:

1. Two man best ball - when ever they could if one of them had a putt conceded, Player B would rush to the hole and player A would stand near players B's line and player B would hit the ball back to player A on his putting line. It took good coordinate on their part, and had me watching them like hawks as clearly the had pre-planned ways to cheat.

2. Saw this at a PGA event. Player marks his ball and tosses it to caddy, caddy fumbles ball and rolls back on the line they are about to putt on. The player in question was called out by the other guys in his groups after this occurred twice in the first 5 holes.

3. Side markers. This is a variation on the inchworm (guys that mark in front of the ball then replace the ball in front of the marker to get closer to the hole). The side marking guys try to creep the ball location down a hill to take out break by marking on one side and replacing on the other side. 

Edited by 2bGood

Preferring lies and creative marking on greens always top two issues ... 3rd ... the lateral drop 30 yards too far ahead

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

6 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Oh my, you people seem to have a real problem with cheaters. Around here we do not play with them.

Around here, we don't get to choose who we play against in matches or events. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, cardoustie said:

the lateral drop 30 yards too far ahead

This. And 30 yards may be on the short end of that spectrum. It’s funny when guys who haven’t hit a drive longer than 230 all day think their wayward slice somehow entered the penalty area on the fly 280 yards out.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

52 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

I am really confused how that works? Do you show up at an event at state on the first tee to people you don't know: "I refuse to play with cheaters." 

There must be some confusion here. How could I possibly know if a person is a cheater if I do not know him/her?

If a person I do NOT know to be a cheater starts cheating during the play I take it up and cheating stops right there. No big deal. That's how it works around here. Feel free to use this method, I can tell you it is an effective one.

Edited by Mr. Bean

22 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Every so often you see guys cheating in new and different ways. What are some of the more unexpected things to look out for?

Here are a few that surprised me:

1. Two man best ball - when ever they could if one of them had a putt conceded, Player B would rush to the hole and player A would stand near players B's line and player B would hit the ball back to player A on his putting line. It took good coordinate on their part, and had me watching them like hawks as clearly the had pre-planned ways to cheat.

Excellent idea! This explains why two man scrambles can end up with scores in the 50s haha!

2. Saw this at a PGA event. Player marks his ball and tosses it to caddy, caddy fumbles ball and rolls back on the line they are about to putt on. The player in question was called out by the other guys in his groups after this occurred twice in the first 5 holes.

Oops ... 

3. Side markers. This is a variation on the inchworm (guys that mark in front of the ball then replace the ball in front of the marker to get closer to the hole). The side marking guys try to creep the ball location down a hill to take out break by marking on one side and replacing on the other side. 

These are such great ideas, I don’t know where to begin? Bra hahahahaha. 

Seriously, putting is very much underrated as a skill. Hats off to those who can putt well.

4 minutes ago, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

Excellent idea! This explains why two man scrambles can end up with scores in the 50s haha!

The real explanation of low scores in scramble is that it is not played under the Rules of Golf but under the non-rules of scramble...

In scramble you cannot cheat as scramble IS sort of cheating.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

The real explanation of low scores in scramble is that it is not played under the Rules of Golf but under the non-rules of scramble...

I suppose that’s correct!

The cheaters in my club are well know by all members and are watched like hawks in events.  I hate playing with them, turns a nice day of golf into kindergarten supervision .. all over some gift certificates in the shop

• Like 2

EvnRoll ER9

Members of a large group I no longer play with varied a lot on enforcing rules.

One day, I was in a foursome with Mr. Easy and Mr. Hard. I hit my drive into a hazard, found the ball, picked it up and started to walk back to where it had crossed the hazard line.

"D%$# it, just drop the ball and hit it!" Mr. Easy demanded.

After we putted out, Mr. Hard came up to me and said how I didn't make a proper drop back at the hazard. I then informed Mr. Hard that he had forgotten his wedge beside the green - again.

After the round I brought this up with the so-called moderator of the group. He told me just to be flexible.

Because I was starting to play more individual tournaments,  I quit this group so I didn't get sloppy and get disqualified.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Definitely the most common around here is taking more than 12 inches on preferred lies. We have to play preferred lies a lot just due to weather and course conditions, especially since many tournaments or qualifying events are done early in the year

This year we even got to place the balls in traps due to the no raking rule. 

It's pretty easy to mark your ball and move it even 3-4 feet to get a better angle or if you have overhanging trees etc..if no one is really paying attention. In bunkers an extra 12 inches can put you on an upslope vs a flat lie which to a tight pin is a HUGE difference

Definitely see stuff like this. See far less shenanigans near the greens or on the greens when everyone is close by

Edited by MtlJeff

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

6 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Here's one I think I've heard here before. The guy who is constantly lifting balls in heavy rough or other problem areas to "identify" them and then improving the lie when they're replaced.

Our club had a new member who thought he was being clever in that way. The next morning, the pro met him on the 1st tee and read him Rule 7.3. Problem solved.

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules/rules-2019/rules-of-golf/rules-and-interpretations.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=7&subrulenum=3

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

Definitely the most common around here is taking more than 12 inches on preferred lies. We have to play preferred lies a lot just due to weather and course conditions, especially since many tournaments or qualifying events are done early in the year

This year we even got to place the balls in traps due to the no raking rule. 

It's pretty easy to mark your ball and move it even 3-4 feet to get a better angle or if you have overhanging trees etc..if no one is really paying attention. In bunkers an extra 12 inches can put you on an upslope vs a flat lie which to a tight pin is a HUGE difference

Definitely see stuff like this. See far less shenanigans near the greens or on the greens when everyone is close by

Oh yes, lift clean and cheat. Once you allow people to touch he ball you bring in allot of potential for trouble.

37 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Oh yes, lift clean and cheat. Once you allow people to touch he ball you bring in allot of potential for trouble.

overall i'm still in favor of playing with LCP though, our May and June in the Northeast now can be really sketchy. When we had to do some of our tournaments we still had parts of the fairway not in yet, soggy conditions etc...

Same as this time of year. I probably had significant mud on my ball on like 10 drives this past weekend

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

10 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

There must be some confusion here. How could I possibly know if a person is a cheater if I do not know him/her?

If a person I do NOT know to be a cheater starts cheating during the play I take it up and cheating stops right there. No big deal. That's how it works around here. Feel free to use this method, I can tell you it is an effective one.

You aren’t paying attention to the other player all time are you?  They could have been cheating since the 1st hole. And it could have been something small.  And you would have never known till say, the 6th hole. And you are right. It isn’t a big deal given the situation. But I’m sure If you have money on it. You wouldn’t be saying “no big deal”.  You can control cheating until you see it. But if you aren’t paying attention to every single player, every single time. I’m sure cheating has gone passed you before. So your method only works sometimes. 

9 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

The best scramble cheaters are easy to spot. One of their group hangs around the posted scores and they turn their card in after they've seen the lowest score. The last scramble I played in the winning team shot 45. Cough, cough.

• Sad 1

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

1 minute ago, RSinSG said:

The best scramble cheaters are easy to spot. One of their group hangs around the posted scores and they turn their card in after they've seen the lowest score. The last scramble I played in the winning team shot 45. Cough, cough.

You want to stop being "pencil-whipped" in scrambles?  Give away sleeves of balls to the low score "winners", save the elaborate prizes for door prizes - everyone then has fun and a chance to win them.  The "pencil-whippers" won't show up for those scrambles!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rogolf said:

You want to stop being "pencil-whipped" in scrambles?  Give away sleeves of balls to the low score "winners", save the elaborate prizes for door prizes - everyone then has fun and a chance to win them.  The "pencil-whippers" won't show up for those scrambles!

My buddy who runs the tournament did that last year. Winners got a cheesy trophy and the good stuff - foursomes at private courses, flat screen TV, golf clubs etc were door prizes. Hopefully it will make a difference next year but I doubt it. Some people love to walk up in front of the group as the "winners" even though last year there were a lot of catcalls and "BS" being thrown at them. They probably don't care and didn't think it was odd they beat the next team by 11 strokes. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

1 hour ago, RSinSG said:

My buddy who runs the tournament did that last year. Winners got a cheesy trophy and the good stuff - foursomes at private courses, flat screen TV, golf clubs etc were door prizes. Hopefully it will make a difference next year but I doubt it. Some people love to walk up in front of the group as the "winners" even though last year there were a lot of catcalls and "BS" being thrown at them. They probably don't care and didn't think it was odd they beat the next team by 11 strokes. 

Good for your buddy.  It also adheres more closely to the Rules of Amateur Status.  More scramble organizers should follow suit!

6 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Not anymore. Scramble was added to section 9 (9C) of the ROG as another form of play in the committee procedure section. 

Scramble Format

Description of format leaves a lot of room for various versions of scramble. Are the other balls dropped or placed? Same lie or different lie (rough vs. fairway height)? Same spot or one club-length?

Ask five different persons having played scramble and you get five different answers.

at our club we are joking that next year bunker play will be a challenge again @MtlJeff... but as it looks now, maybe this challenge won't come until 2022

it was weird playing preferred lies in traps all season, especially in club c's.  We were allowed 18" and lift and rake and place (Scorecard) and always having a perched lie and never a plugged lie is HUGE

EvnRoll ER9