Any high h.c.'ers playing blades?

On 12/13/2020 at 4:09 PM, Putterboy68 said:

I'm a lower hdcper that plays a cast club. Been playing the X14s since 2000. headcovers keep them nice. Was on a par 3 the other day and hit one that felt really bad. I even turned away. I didn't say anything but I acted like I hated it. I get up to the green and it's 12 feet away on the edge of the fringe. Knocked it right in for a birdie. I want nice clubs but nothing I have hit in the last 10 years has been as good as my X14s. I even have an $1100 credit at Callaway that I would love to spend but the only thing I like are the BB B21 irons. Maybe I'll try the Apex forged when they come out in January. 

Hold on a sec....

iron headcovers. Probably been hashed out a million times but deserves it’s own thread. 

Outside of that, I’ve played GI the last couple years due to illness and accident. So far leading this year’s club race is the Hogan PTx Pro’s. 

With traditional lofting I don’t hit them too far, I prefer a 5I carry of right around 200. These are spot on and everything else is in 10-12 yard increments from 4i-PW. Local courses are only 6600 yards tipped out so I prefer accuracy (and some forgiveness when I’m ill). 

I don’t know where this falls on this places HC chart but I’m currently a -4.7. Outside of catching fire to end last season (last 5 rounds all played close to par!) I’ve played like anywhere from that to a -20 depending on mainly how I’ve felt the past year or two. I didn’t play enough to really move it into the 20 range when I stunk the most, never getting above an official 10 but there was the better part of a year (10 or so rounds that year) when I couldn’t find 90 to save my life. 

New year new lease on life. I’m playing the PTx Pros this year. They gap where I need them. New putting grip (me not equipment) has me making a lot more inside 20ft. 

Me and my almost blades will join this march in 2021! 

I'm planning to play MP4s from 7i-PW this year.  I normally shoot 45-46 for 9 holes.  I've played SGI clubs (G15), player cavity backs (AP2, TE Forged), blades (MP4) and don't find it really makes that much difference once you get to a certain amount of loft.  A 4 iron MP4 is certainly very demanding and it doesn't take much of a miss to see a large distance loss, but once you get to 7 iron and beyond a reasonable strike will go the expected distance.  If my face/path are decent then it will be an ok shot.

I've had these since 2019 and have played them on/off so I know what I'm getting into. I'm transitioning the MP4s into U85 utilities so I'll have more forgiveness and launch help where I need it.

I find the tee game has a huge impact on my scores.  If I'm spraying driver then look out, a high number may be posted.  Likewise if I'm driving in the fairway or finding the first cut (even better than the fairway for my game) then I'll score better.

Here's to a good year! 

48736897463_f1d68db6e9.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BogeyParBogey said:

I'm planning to play MP4s from 7i-PW this year.  I normally shoot 45-46 for 9 holes.  I've played SGI clubs (G15), player cavity backs (AP2, TE Forged), blades (MP4) and don't find it really makes that much difference once you get to a certain amount of loft.  A 4 iron MP4 is certainly very demanding and it doesn't take much of a miss to see a large distance loss, but once you get to 7 iron and beyond a reasonable strike will go the expected distance.  If my face/path are decent then it will be an ok shot.

I've had these since 2019 and have played them on/off so I know what I'm getting into. I'm transitioning the MP4s into U85 utilities so I'll have more forgiveness and launch help where I need it.

I find the tee game has a huge impact on my scores.  If I'm spraying driver then look out, a high number may be posted.  Likewise if I'm driving in the fairway or finding the first cut (even better than the fairway for my game) then I'll score better.

Here's to a good year! 

48736897463_f1d68db6e9.jpg

Dave

Dave,

a great iron. MP4’s are awesome. But why is the back beat the heck up? 

2 minutes ago, BustedBogeyMachine said:

Dave,

a great iron. MP4’s are awesome. But why is the back beat the heck up? 

Beauty marks 🙂

I think the guy who had these before me must have ridden in carts a lot.  Buy average/bargain condition clubs and that's what you get.  

I'm a push cart guy and even soft irons don't get too beat up in push carts.

Dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BogeyParBogey said:

Beauty marks 🙂

I think the guy who had these before me must have ridden in carts a lot.  Buy average/bargain condition clubs and that's what you get.  

I'm a push cart guy and even soft irons don't get too beat up in push carts.

Dave

I can respect, 😂 

i didnt care but man, that was Ugly with the capital being Salt Lake City. 

One thing I think that keeps people from playing blades is the distance disadvantage. However, I don't understand this as the whole point of one's irons is to have the yardages covered until the woods.

Therefore, why does it matter if someone is hitting a 9 iron or 7 iron? I don't see that GI irons are any advantage with the lower irons because they spin less and won't always stop where they land.

I play with people that swing out of their shoes to hit their 9 iron 160 while I take an easy swing and plan for 141 yards. If I want to swing out of my shoes I'll pull out the driver and hit it 280. If I have 220 - 230 I'll pull out the 5 wood.

Edited by chipa
  • Like 2

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

My buddy can barely break 100 on a good day, and played old school mizuno blades for about 10 years. They were hand me downs from our other friend who is a low single digits handicapper who decided to get some muscle backs.  

Everytime he mishits the ball, and that happened a fair amount each round, he would have a pained look on his face and shake his hands.  The lack of forgiveness went beyond poor ball carry, it literally hurt his hands each time.

But he never wanted to change it up from the blades, he was just too stubborn.  I think he finally got some GI taylormades a couple years back.  Game still in the low 100s.  

19 hours ago, zedster said:

My buddy can barely break 100 on a good day, and played old school mizuno blades for about 10 years. They were hand me downs from our other friend who is a low single digits handicapper who decided to get some muscle backs.  

Everytime he mishits the ball, and that happened a fair amount each round, he would have a pained look on his face and shake his hands.  The lack of forgiveness went beyond poor ball carry, it literally hurt his hands each time.

But he never wanted to change it up from the blades, he was just too stubborn.  I think he finally got some GI taylormades a couple years back.  Game still in the low 100s.  

I prefer 304 steel to forged because they rarely hurt on mishits and they are as soft as some blades I have played. Plus while they ding up like blades it's not near as bad. I've been playing 304 steel irons since 2006. They make a really nice sound at impact too. My nephew who plays Titleist cb's commented that frequently when we played together recently.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.