New Mizuno Drivers: ST-X, ST-Z

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maiden voyage tomorrow 😍

Way too late of a release. Most people have their shiny new Callaway, Tmade, Ping or Titleist driver. Huge marketing fail IMO. It won’t sell just like their other drivers and will be half off by the e

Posted Images

1 minute ago, cz13X4 said:

Funny. I’ve also been eyeing  the mizuno stuff....

Yeah I also really like how it was stock 45 inches so it just felt right. I will definitely be doing more testing because it was outperforming the rad speed I just got. FML lol

COBRA F9 10.5  - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 55

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH TC 15.0  - Tour AD TP 7
COBRA SPEEDZONE  19 - Recoil 

TAYLORMADE P770 '17 - 4-GW - PXI  

VOKEY SM7 Raw Black 54F / 58L- Hi Rev 2.0 / TOULON Chicago 33.5

8 minutes ago, Landy said:

WHAT?!!  Do you have more details?  Thank you

Well so I went in to check the swing weight on the rad speed and and it came in at D2 with the smoke rdx blue. It felt light so was just curious. I see the Mizuno STZ demo and I wanted to check out the crown cause it looked different in pics and its actually pretty cool. The demo bay was open so I was like why not. I hit a few with each and then eventually switching back and forth. Both 10.5 head and yeah I was getting better dispersion and ball speed with the Mizuno ST-Z

Now the only thing I can't say for sure is the shafts were completely different. The Mizuno had an Evenflow riptide CB and the Rad Speed had the smoke RDX blue. That RDX blue is no joke its low launch low spin and the tip is really stiff. It really could just be the shaft is not a good fit for me. I assumed it would be because I am coming from a smoke yellow but to me they feel nothing alike and the RDX Blue is much stiffer. 

I will do more testing cause it could just be a one off but yeah was blown away. I also really want to check out the three wood. I didn't see one in the demo area but also looks incredible in pics.

Edited by mtex22
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mtex22 said:

Well so I went in to check the swing weight on the rad speed and and it came in at D2 with the smoke rdx blue. It felt light so was just curious. I see the Mizuno STZ demo and I wanted to check out the crown cause it looked different in pics and its actually pretty cool. The demo bay was open so I was like why not. I hit a few with each and then eventually switching back and forth. Both 10.5 head and yeah I was getting better dispersion and ball speed with the Mizuno ST-Z

Now the only thing I can't say for sure is the shafts were completely different. The Mizuno had an Evenflow riptide CB and the Rad Speed had the smoke RDX blue. That RDX blue is no joke its low launch low spin and the tip is really stiff. It really could just be the shaft is not a good fit for me. I assumed it would be because I am coming from a smoke yellow but to me they feel nothing alike and the RDX Blue is much stiffer. 

I will do more testing cause it could just be a one off but yeah was blown away. I also really want to check out the three wood. I didn't see one in the demo area but also looks incredible in pics.

Please keep us posted and hit them straight!

The stz feels and sounds extremely good.. way better than expected. I have not seen numbers yet but it was extremely pleasant to hit.

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

What’s the correct lie angle at the std setting? Mizuno website in the spec section say 56.6* - 59.5* but on the sleeve adjustment section it shows 58.5* - 61.5*. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

On 1/30/2021 at 12:05 AM, idontnoh said:

Exciting to hear. Anyone hit the ST X yet? 

Really liked the ST-X over the -Z. I got some nice numbers with it even using a very rusty winter swing. It's not overly draw biased at all and has a great feel and sound. Had my best results at the 8.5° setting and with the Ventus Black shaft. Liked it so much, I ordered one along with the 3-wood.

20 hours ago, hammergolf said:

What’s the correct lie angle at the std setting? Mizuno website in the spec section say 56.6* - 59.5* but on the sleeve adjustment section it shows 58.5* - 61.5*. 

The -X is definitely more upright than the -Z, but the numbers on the site are definitely off compared to the adjustment charts. Will have to contact a friend there to get clarification and report back.

As an FYI, here's a face view of each with the lie angle difference shown.

1683297473_STdriverheadsfaceview.jpg.3f0d91d7847a4e16082f35ec383594ed.jpg

Edited by Hammer22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Just now, Hammer22 said:

Really likes the ST-X over the -Z - got some nice numbers with it even using a very rusty winter swing. It's not overly draw biased at all and has a great feel and sound. Had my best results at the 8.5° setting and with the Ventus Black shaft. Liked it so much, I ordered one along with the 3-wood.

The -X is definitely more upright than the -Z, but the numbers on the site are definitely off compared to the adjustment charts. Will have to contact a friend there to get clarification and report back.

Thanks for the reply.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Aldila Quaranta Reg
Ping G410 3wd @ Flat setting Grafalloy Pro lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 7wd @ Flat setting Graffaloy Pro Lite 3.5 Reg
Ping G410 22 hybrid @ 21 flat Alta CB Reg
Ping g25 5-PW Steelfiber i95 Reg
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 50* Mid, 54* Full @ 55, 58* Low @ 60 Hi Rev 2.0 Reg
Evnroll TR8 33"

2 hours ago, Hammer22 said:

Really liked the ST-X over the -Z. I got some nice numbers with it even using a very rusty winter swing. It's not overly draw biased at all and has a great feel and sound. Had my best results at the 8.5° setting and with the Ventus Black shaft. Liked it so much, I ordered one along with the 3-wood.

Incredible information and thanks for the picture of the lie angle. Seeing that picture definitely shows me why they’re called -Z and -X. Did not expect the face of the -X to be that deep. 

14 hours ago, idontnoh said:

Incredible information and thanks for the picture of the lie angle. Seeing that picture definitely shows me why they’re called -Z and -X. Did not expect the face of the -X to be that deep. 

Here’s a side view as well that shows the face heights:

C025A382-2735-4884-AAB6-DD3D0EF24D07.jpeg.4cfe3f1fc5b5a82b577d0f37f386ff21.jpeg

And some 3D drawings that show the structures nicely:

005E4BFD-6E2E-41C1-AF2F-962239BAAFB4.jpeg.8b7f7acdb9483d09be5ea7db415c2987.jpeg

Edited by Hammer22
  • Thanks 1

I was tooling around on the Mizuno site.  When I played around with a potential pre-order for a fairway, I didn’t see anywhere to do a custom order (change to another one of the no up-charge shafts).  Anyone else had this issue? Placed a pre-order? Found a work-around? 

Taylormade Original One 12*

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 17.5*

Mizuno CLK 21*

Callaway Apex CF19 5-P

Cleveland CBX2 50* 58*
Bettinardi Queen 🐝 #10
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:19 PM, hammergolf said:

As an update to this, the lie angles on the site under "Specifications" are correct. The graphs showing the sleeves are wrong and should be updated soon. 

ST-X: 59 - 62

ST-Z: 56.5 - 59.5

ST-Z-3: 55.5 - 58.5

ST-Z-5: 56 - 59

Edited by Hammer22
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Jut said:

I was tooling around on the Mizuno site.  When I played around with a potential pre-order for a fairway, I didn’t see anywhere to do a custom order (change to another one of the no up-charge shafts).  Anyone else had this issue? Placed a pre-order? Found a work-around? 

Go through a vendor - that's the normal process.

8 hours ago, Hammer22 said:

As an update to this, the lie angles on the site under "Specifications" are correct. The graphs showing the sleeves are wrong and should be updated soon. 

ST-X: 59 - 62

ST-Z: 56.5 - 59.5

ST-Z-3: 55.5 - 58.5

ST-Z-5: 56 - 59

It's incredible that you have better info than the website...

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, idontnoh said:

It's incredible that you have better info than the website...

What is even funnier is all the demo fitting drivers in San Diego are regular flex in the busiest store in San Diego. And no Fairway woods in sight. Really? @Vosh68

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Hammer22 said:

Go through a vendor - that's the normal process.

I get that I can do that, but it seems weird that the OEM would take stock orders, yet not custom orders.  When I chatted with Mizuno yesterday, they said this is exactly the case.  They can do stock orders on the website, but not anything custom.  So I guess I place the custom order through a distributor (ex. Discount Dans) and they then in turn contact Mizuno to have it built to spec?  Just odd.  If I want to place a custom order say through Cobra, I can do it all right on their website with no middle man involved.  Just a better overall customer service experience in my opinion.    

Taylormade Original One 12*

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 17.5*

Mizuno CLK 21*

Callaway Apex CF19 5-P

Cleveland CBX2 50* 58*
Bettinardi Queen 🐝 #10
Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis 

On 29/01/2021 at 12:00 PM, ASN21 said:

These drivers and fairways are such a good value with the Motore X as the stock shaft. It’s what I play in my driver and 3 wood and has me thinking how good these woods might be as well. Love the clean looks. 

Yes. Pretty sure it's the real deal Motore as well, which is a $275 shaft. They're insanely good value. 

5 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

Yes. Pretty sure it's the real deal Motore as well, which is a $275 shaft. They're insanely good value. 

Yep. Once these have a price drop later this year I will probably snag a driver and 3 wood with the Motore X.  I got an F3 for my driver and 3 wood from Will and it just flat out performs. Looks killer as well. 

9 hours ago, Jut said:

I get that I can do that, but it seems weird that the OEM would take stock orders, yet not custom orders.  When I chatted with Mizuno yesterday, they said this is exactly the case.  They can do stock orders on the website, but not anything custom.  So I guess I place the custom order through a distributor (ex. Discount Dans) and they then in turn contact Mizuno to have it built to spec?  Just odd.  If I want to place a custom order say through Cobra, I can do it all right on their website with no middle man involved.  Just a better overall customer service experience in my opinion.    

Sign of a good company IMO. 

Supporting the dealers and promoting fitting. I’d argue a fitted product in the hands of a golfer is free marketing. 

People grabbing off the rack ( ie. Stock product) is most likely not going to fit the golfer. In turn they won’t utilize its potential in front of spectators. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

Does anyone know if Mizuno offers shaft tippping on custom orders?

Mizuno can do anything you want. Go to this site and play - shows all options that you can input and there is even a Comments box where you can specify anything additional such as SW: https://www.golfusamanhattan.com/

On 2/3/2021 at 8:58 AM, Jut said:

That's just the way it is with Mizuno. Their Optimizer is an important part of the fitting process and it will also recommend woods, so they place an emphasis on fitters/vendors for all the custom orders. It's not a difficult process at all. If you want custom and just feel like using the web to input your specifics, the site I listed above is another excellent source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1