2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Driver options

Vater

Which drivers from the past five years to current day would you suggest I try given these data points:

1. My current driver is a 2016 M2 9.5* that I play at 8*

2. Thinking back, one of the best drivers for me was the Jetspeed (anyone remember that one?)

3. Doesn't have to be TaylorMade

I love the M2 and wouldn't get rid of it even if I pick up a new driver. But you know how it is, gotta keep scratching those itches...

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

I'm pretty familiar with the Sim and handled one in the past few months. But I haven't checked out the G410. What's so good about it? The only Pings I've ever swung were my buddy's old Eye2s..............

57 minutes ago, Vater said:

I'm pretty familiar with the Sim and handled one in the past few months. But I haven't checked out the G410. What's so good about it? The only Pings I've ever swung were my buddy's old Eye2s..............

Its probably the most forgiving driver out there on mishits. Could be a little shorter than the SIM especially if you are a higher speed player, mainly because it will spin a bit more. Both are very good anti hook drivers. If you strike it all around the face- get the ping. If not, and you need to bring spin down-SIM.

What is your driver swing speed, average distance, and any fade/draw tendencies? I've become a huge fan of the Callaway Rogue this year - regular shaft 9 degrees lofted down to 8 degrees as well.

• Thanks 1

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

3 minutes ago, wcdixon said:

What is your driver swing speed, average distance, and any fade/draw tendencies? I've become a huge fan of the Callaway Rogue this year - regular shaft 9 degrees lofted down to 8 degrees as well.

Thank you. 👍

Maybe this won't become just another "Name Your Favorite Driver" thread after all. :classic_laugh:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

5 hours ago, Vater said:

Which drivers from the past five years to current day would you suggest I try given these data points:

1. My current driver is a 2016 M2 9.5* that I play at 8*

2. Thinking back, one of the best drivers for me was the Jetspeed (anyone remember that one?)

3. Doesn't have to be TaylorMade

I love the M2 and wouldn't get rid of it even if I pick up a new driver. But you know how it is, gotta keep scratching those itches...

I tested just about everything out there a few months ago at Club Champion.  This is n=1 sample size and different for everyone, but my results:

1. Sim.  Easily the best off the face, most consistent, far and away best for me on mis hits, best dispersion.

2. Maverick.  I hated the sound/feel off the face, but ball speed was good.  Less consistent on mis hits than Sim

3. Ping 410LST.  I thought I would end up with this after hitting my brother in laws a few times.  Felt great, but numbers were just not comparable to Sim.  15-20 yards shorter.  My BIL and I would be next to each other consistently when playing and I am now anywhere from 10-30 or more yards up on him regularly.

4. Titliest (TSi, cant remember which).  Similar results to Ping, but too spinny

5. Cobra.  Hated the feel, hated the results.  I hit like 5 pure shots with it and never hit it again.

If you're in a TM already, I'd say go with the SIM if you aren't getting fitted.  I found a nearly new head in the classifieds here for around $350 and built my own up.  Otherwise if no rush, another month and there might be some great deals for black friday/cyber monday

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 9* Kai'li White 60 S

3 Wood:  TaylorMade SIM2 15* Mayazaki Kusala Tour 72 S

5 Wood: TaylorMade Stealth2 18* Ventus Red TR 6 S

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade SIM 22* Tensei Orange Pro 80HY S

5 Iron-PW: TaylorMade P770 KBS TGI 100

Gap Wedge: Titliest Vokey SM0 50* KBS TGI 100

Sand Wedge: Titliest Vokey SM9 54* KBS TGI 100

Lob Wedge: Titliest Vokey SM9 60* KBS TGI 100

Taylormade Sim flavors

Titleist TS / TSi flavors

IMO those are the two top drivers on the market.  Each have variations to target different needs / players.  

You may prefer one over another based on feel, looks, sound, forgiveness.  Personally I think the Titleist drivers are best overall and easier to keep in play.

Edited by jons1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

I would recommend SIM or SIM MAX depending if you need the extra spin or want adjustable weights.  Both forgiving across the face on mishits and ball speeds were the highest for me of all the 2020 drivers I tested. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Given that your post says the Jetspeed was a great driver for you, I'm going to go out on a limb and say get a Jetspeed.

Oh wait I mean Titleist TS2.  No G410.  No SIM.  No, Cobra Xtreme.  No, wait, get a garbage pan lid shafted with a piece of concrete rebar (<- unreal anti-hook driver).

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

In my testing recently I found G410LST and Mavrik Subzero to be quickest in terms of ball speed, I loved the dispersion of the Ping as well. Sim standard was a hair lower (I max out around ~155 ball speed) but still good. Did not test my Sim Max against these, ignore my signature, my build is a bit wonky right now.

Not sure if you're a TXG guy, but they mentioned on their live chat this morning they're doing a best driver of 2020 test this week - including the new Titleist driver line - including 410LST, Sim, Mavrik, maybe more. Yes it'll just be one test and Matt's launch conditions may be wildly different than yours, but could offer some insights as to the tendencies of each driver head to help make a decision. 

Edited by arenapoutine

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

Thanks for your responses thus far, folks.

@wcdixon, @KING246 - I haven't been in front of a machine in forever, so I'm not sure of my swing speed, but I'm certain it's very average, 85-90 maybe? My drives can range from 200-220 +/- 15. I have a frustrating fade that trails off... I believe most people would just call that a slice, haha. And while I can drill the same spot on the face of my irons over and over, I'm all over the face of the driver - if anything, I tend to hit on the heel.

3 hours ago, Vater said:

@wcdixon, @KING246 - I haven't been in front of a machine in forever, so I'm not sure of my swing speed, but I'm certain it's very average, 85-90 maybe? My drives can range from 200-220 +/- 15. I have a frustrating fade that trails off... I believe most people would just call that a slice, haha. And while I can drill the same spot on the face of my irons over and over, I'm all over the face of the driver - if anything, I tend to hit on the heel.

I'm going to agree with Vadersfather and suggest you look into trimming the butt of your driver shaft an inch or so...regardless of what driver you go with. I found new club's shafts on the long side when I upgraded this spring and trimmed 1 1/4 inch off butt of my new Rogue driver and 1 inch off my 3w and 5w and have never hit those clubs as consistently and solidly as I did this summer + got 15+ more yards distance than I got with my old Cobra f6 driver and new Srixon 585 driver I tested/bought then returned/traded after trying the Rogue.

Ping G410 12 degree at 11* Alta CB 55 soft reg

Sim 2 Max 3 HL 16.5* Ventus Blue 5A

Callaway Steelhead XR 7w 21* - Tensei CK Series 55 reg

Stealth 5 hybrid at 25* Ventus Red 5A  

Callaway Mavrik Pro 6i-AW - UST Recoil ES 760 SmacWrap f3

Titleist SM7 52*W, 56*W - Vista Pro reg graphite

White Hot R-Ball 35"

10 hours ago, Vater said:

G400 regular or max is my recommendation. Straightest driver I've ever played. I ended up trading mine and regret it every time I blast my driver out of the fairway lol 

One from a little left field would be to check the last 2 Mizuno Driver releases, I have been a Mizuno iron fan but I tried a ST190 Driver out at a trial day and it has been in the bag since.  Previously I loved the Callaway drivers, I have tried the Callaway recent drivers and there has not been that much of an up step for me to change.

I would also say that it will be personal preference when choosing as some drivers recommended will not either fit your swing characteristics or your eye at address

12 hours ago, Vater said:

When someone's looking for equipment it seems they're not interested in lessons to fix what ails them but instead is looking for the equipment to help.

You also mention "from the last 5 years" so I'm guessing price is an issue and you'd rather buy used (don't blame you one bit).

Given your <cough> fading fade :classic_biggrin: <cough> forget the Ping LST and SIM for a couple of reasons. They are fade biased and they don't spin much. At an 85-90 SS you probably need a bit of spin.

However, the SIM MAX or "D (Draw)" models might work for you.

Same (too low spin) goes for the Maverik, at least the Sub Zero and regular models - very low spin. Not sure about the MAX.

An older model that might work is the Ping 400MAX. About as forgiving as it gets, probably just a touch draw biased to help your "fade". You can probably get one on eBay for $200 or less. Without knowing anything more about your situation that would be the one I'd recommend.

Cally Epic Flash, a 2019 model would probably work as well.

Not a big Cobra fan but their current Extreme is very forgiving. Same goes for Titleist but the 917D2 and the more recent, about to be passed by, TS2, are both forgiving but reviews on those 2 drivers seem to be a few yards shorter than their competitors.

Titleist Pro V1X

@vadersfather, @wcdixon - shortening the shaft makes a lot of sense and I may try that before changing out the driver. My only cause for pause is that the Jetspeed I mentioned in my original post was long shafted - people even wrote articles about it - and it was great for me.

11 hours ago, nsxguy said:

When someone's looking for equipment it seems they're not interested in lessons to fix what ails them but instead is looking for the equipment to help.

You also mention "from the last 5 years" so I'm guessing price is an issue and you'd rather buy used (don't blame you one bit).

Given your <cough> fading fade :classic_biggrin: <cough> forget the Ping LST and SIM for a couple of reasons. They are fade biased and they don't spin much. At an 85-90 SS you probably need a bit of spin.

However, the SIM MAX or "D (Draw)" models might work for you.

Same (too low spin) goes for the Maverik, at least the Sub Zero and regular models - very low spin. Not sure about the MAX.

An older model that might work is the Ping 400MAX. About as forgiving as it gets, probably just a touch draw biased to help your "fade". You can probably get one on eBay for $200 or less. Without knowing anything more about your situation that would be the one I'd recommend.

Cally Epic Flash, a 2019 model would probably work as well.

Not a big Cobra fan but their current Extreme is very forgiving. Same goes for Titleist but the 917D2 and the more recent, about to be passed by, TS2, are both forgiving but reviews on those 2 drivers seem to be a few yards shorter than their competitors.

Thanks for the rundown of options. I agree with your root assessment that maybe I need to work on the swing more than the equipment...

You touch upon the very reason why I wasn't considering draw versions of drivers - I tell myself, well, you'd want to fix that bias before getting something that accommodates that... But I guess if that were really true, folks wouldn't use GI irons, mallet putters, hybrids...........

Vater, don't get me wrong, I'm a yuge fan of long and light driver's, but the truth is, it just doesn't work for everyone. And btw, the jetspeed is the best feeling driver I have ever hit, period. I'm bummed I can't use it in my current build as the head is just to heavy for my 48 inch driver and you really can't remove weight from it. The screw on the bottom is only 3 grams. 

4 hours ago, Vater said:

Thanks for the rundown of options. I agree with your root assessment that maybe I need to work on the swing more than the equipment...

You touch upon the very reason why I wasn't considering draw versions of drivers - I tell myself, well, you'd want to fix that bias before getting something that accommodates that... But I guess if that were really true, folks wouldn't use GI irons, mallet putters, hybrids...........

Well, fix the swing, or change the equipment. Of course that's something you have to decide. We ALL like shiny new toys. :classic_biggrin:

But 95% (<-- I made that up :classic_smile:) of amateurs find their high water mark vis-a-vis their swing and move on from there. Not saying we won't try to tweak something here and there and maybe "find" something that works better, but most eventually resign ourselves at some point. Just one person's opinion.

But as for the last part, let's face it, even TOUR PROS are using all those clubs you mention and few of "us" will ever swing as well as they do - so I wouldn't diminish the value of GI irons, mallet putters, and hybrids.

Titleist Pro V1X

If you don't need the flat setting, the G400 is great.  TS3 is a very good over all driver.  While I like my Sim, I have the wrong lofted head in a 10.5*, performs well, not a huge fan of the sound/feel compared to others.  Picked up a G410+ again, but this time a 9* and going to be happy with it.  Not the longest, but can hit it all over the map and get good results. Might not have the appearance from address that you are used to.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line