2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

T-100s vs HMB

bubbagump

In the quest for a new set, Ive come down to these two.  Have read lots on each here, done some hands on comparing but was hoping for some more specific takes head to head if anybody has experience? 

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

They are kind of different heads, as you know. It seems like HMB should be compared with 770/790 style.  T100 are a bit smaller.  I don’t have much experience with HMB, but I do own T100S and 790, and have hit p770.  I prefer the T100- Better control, feel great-albeit not as soft as some other fully forged clubs- and they look better than the other three at address.  I also find them plenty forgiving. Really like them.  That probably doesn’t help much, but it’s just my opinion.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

2 hours ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

They are kind of different heads, as you know. It seems like HMB should be compared with 770/790 style.  T100 are a bit smaller.  I don’t have much experience with HMB, but I do own T100S and 790, and have hit p770.  I prefer the T100- Better control, feel great-albeit not as soft as some other fully forged clubs- and they look better than the other three at address.  I also find them plenty forgiving. Really like them.  That probably doesn’t help much, but it’s just my opinion.

Thanks man for the reply.  They for sure are a bit different of heads to compare, but they are the last remaining from narrowing down options.  

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Very different heads. Would really come down to your swing and what you are looking for. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

4 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Very different heads. Would really come down to your swing and what you are looking for. 

Understood.  Just was seeing if anybody had given them a go, compared or swapped from one or the other.  

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

I would have to agree with @TigerInTheWoods. I tried the HMB and after a few swings just had to put it down, it didn't feel like any Mizuno I have used in the past and just didn't fit my swing. 

The T100 /T100s on the other hand I think is arguable one of the best irons out on the market right now. I've played the T100 since it came out, and played a few rounds with the T100s, both offer great performance. Looks on either of them is subjective, but I do like the look of the T100 more than I thought I was going to when I first saw pictures. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9° | Ventus Black 6X

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5*  | Ventus Black 7X

Titleist TSR2 18*  | AV Raw Blue 8TX

Titleist  '23 T200 (4) T100 5-9  | PX Rifle 6.5
Titleist  SM9 46 / 50 / 54 / 58  | PX Rifle 6.0

**Putter Unknown**

When I compared my T100s to the 919 Tours (both with the same shaft), it was amazing to see the difference in turf interaction.  For my swing, I find the T100 gets through the turf in a way similar to Srixon's vsole.  The 919 Tour felt like it, 'grabbed' and pulled the divot out. 

I've said it before, but the T100 is the best players iron that Titleist has ever put out.

Edited by lordemsworth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi there, I ordered a set of clubs which included an MMC 8 and 9 iron and HMB 3, 5-7. I spent quite a bit from a custom builder on the set as they were made up of non offered shafts and grips. I truly thought they would be my go to set for 70% of my rounds and all of my tournaments. I was quite wrong. Something is just not right with the 5, 6 and 7 irons. I love the club in the 3 irons, but the look and feel in the shorter irons is just off. I love the MMC clubs and I have a full set of 4 T 20 wedges. The HMB are just wrong. I don’t know how to explain it. I’ve stuck with p760’s as my main set and I’ve taken the Mizunos out for 7-10 rounds, but I just have no confidence over those HMB irons. I’m a 6.5 cap and my iron play is quite strong. The look and feel are just not there. Sorry for the bad news. 

Surprised by the negative opinions on the HMBs. I played 2 rounds and 2 range sessions with them and was overall impressed.

Let’s ignore the fact that they’re absolutely beautiful, but performance and feel was great - they felt much more “solid” than p790 or Apex. It’s hard to explain, but when hit right, they felt soft, but still solid (like, “thump”), whereas p790 or apex felt hollow and clicky. The HMBs aren’t as soft as a t100 type iron, but for me, that was not a problem. They honestly felt great.

For some reason, gapping from 9i to PW was a bit weird and I did not love the feeling of the PW. If I settle on them, would have to tinker with the lofts a bit or get a combo wedge in there. The long irons were stellar and I liked them much better than some of the other clubs out there. 

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

19 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Have hit both. I absolutely did not get along with the HMB. Feel was nothing like a Mizuno, shape was odd, low bounce +wide sole equals dig city. Just not good at all for me. T100 on the other hand is one of the best players cavities ever made IMO. Everything good about AP2 without any of the bad. Looks like a blade plays like a GI iron. It's not even a contest I would buy the T100s every day of the week and twice on sunday. 

How would you rate the forgiveness between the two?  Been reading tons about how for as compact of a package the T100s are, they provide far more forgiveness than one would think.  I found some truth to it in my limited testing, but was only limited.   

My intent is to basically find an iron that I can play all year round, and doesn't add undue complications if Im not entirely on swing wise.  I don't really like the next gen JPXs, which led me to the HMB and Ive oogled the T100s since released.  I got pretty comparable numbers from them both to which it'd be a wash, but don't have the ability to test fully outside, so just trying to scour as much info as possible.  

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Just now, bubbagump said:

How would you rate the forgiveness between the two?  Been reading tons about how for as compact of a package the T100s are, they provide far more forgiveness than one would think.  I found some truth to it in my limited testing, but was only limited.   

My intent is to basically find an iron that I can play all year round, and doesn't add undue complications if Im not entirely on swing wise.  I don't really like the next gen JPXs, which led me to the HMB and Ive oogled the T100s since released.  I got pretty comparable numbers from them both to which it'd be a wash, but don't have the ability to test fully outside, so just trying to scour as much info as possible.  

T100s has higher MOI, more centered sweet spot, lower CG etc all point to it being more forgiving. Bring turf interaction into that conversation and it isn't close. Way more forgiveness in T100.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_TITLEIST.pdf

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

T100s has higher MOI, more centered sweet spot, lower CG etc all point to it being more forgiving. Bring turf interaction into that conversation and it isn't close. Way more forgiveness in T100.

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_MIZUNO.pdf

https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/MPF_TITLEIST.pdf

Very true.  Its just hard to believe that all is packed in that head, but numbers dont lie.  While my 900s are in another country still awaiting being sent home, from what I remember the T100s dont look all that much smaller than them so I think it wouldn't be some large leap.  

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

Played a round with the HMB and sold them immediately after. Dig city as someone mentioned before, literally couldn’t hit most shots with them. The MP grind does not work for my swing. T100-S is my current setup and I have always played AP2’s before, so it was an easy switch. Helps me get some mote distance but peak height and holding greens is no issue. I love how the go through the turf, which contributes to making the different shots I need. Not even close to me, I have been and always will be a Titleist iron guy. For reference I played the P790 for almost a whole season, didn’t hit them much longer than T100-S and had less control over half shots. They were very straight though, almost too straight. 

Wanted to love both of these but did not like the feel of the T100s after getting fit for them.  They just didn’t feel like a forged irons to me. Distances were good tho.  HMB felt great, but I spun them way too much with several graphite options.  I saw no gains over my 0311 irons and passed just because there was nothing to gain there.  Preferred the feel of HMBs. 

• Like 4

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I disagree. Those two heads are closer cousins than they are opposites.  Size is similar to same.  Feel is similar.  Neither is super soft. But neither is hollow feeling.  

as a guy who played i500 for all of a winter and half a spring , the HMB share nothing.  Zero , goose egg with the i500.  Size feel or turf interactions.  None.     

id say hit them both , and probably buy the HMB.  Especially if you prefer less offset in the long irons.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I disagree. Those two heads are closer cousins than they are opposites.  Size is similar to same.  Feel is similar.  Neither is super soft. But neither is hollow feeling.  

as a guy who played i500 for all of a winter and half a spring , the HMB share nothing.  Zero , goose egg with the i500.  Size feel or turf interactions.  None.     

id say hit them both , and probably buy the HMB.  Especially if you prefer less offset in the long irons.  

How would you compare them to i500?

Titleist TSR2 10° Ventus TR Red | Titleist TSI2 3 wood 15° | Callaway UW 19° | Titleist T100 | Taylormade MG3 | Toulon Design Portland

1 hour ago, Seidinho said:

How would you compare them to i500?

Better turf interaction by miles , but I prefer less bounce.  And a better feel on off center hits.  I500 is very clanky if not middled.   Oddly enough I give i500 A+ ratings from 7 iron to U wedge.  It was the 4/5 iron I hated.  For whatever reason they get way longer heel to toe in the long irons and become impossible to hit flush out of the rough or on tight lies.  HMB long irons are s Wes breeze to hit anywhere.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'll throw in my personal opinion - play the full set MP20 MBs, but tried to combo in the HMBs at the top initially (felt the MMC was too close to the MB and didn't offer much) - just felt that the fat sole with an MP grind did not work out at all.  It was much easier to flush a 4 iron MB than the HMB because it just felt clunky at impact and with the turf.  I love Mizuno but I think there's just not a proper identity with the HMB.  The idea, in theory, is fantastic, but it just doesn't seem to work for me (and others).  It's a cool mashup of players, GI, and SGI elements, but I don't feel they combine well.  I have a feeling the next iteration will be a lot more refined.

That being said, for those that it works for, it's almost a unicorn iron set.  However I think those players are relatively far and few between.  Just my opinions though.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:51 PM, TigerInTheWoods said:

Have hit both. I absolutely did not get along with the HMB. Feel was nothing like a Mizuno, shape was odd, low bounce +wide sole equals dig city. Just not good at all for me. T100 on the other hand is one of the best players cavities ever made IMO. Everything good about AP2 without any of the bad. Looks like a blade plays like a GI iron. It's not even a contest I would buy the T100s every day of the week and twice on sunday. 

I need to try the T100's - I have hit them in the simulator, indoors and out on mats, but they look too small to play as GI, and you are not the first person I have seen say that about them.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

7 minutes ago, spring7 said:

I need to try the T100's - I have hit them in the simulator, indoors and out on mats, but they look too small to play as GI, and you are not the first person I have seen say that about them.

T100s are unreal. Been playing them since the day they came out. Amazing forgiveness for the size and the turf interaction is the best out there

• Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 10:57 AM, spring7 said:

I really don’t think the t100 are that small.  Here is a pic of my T100s and p790 7 iron next to each other.  Regardless, I find them plenty forgiving.  I’m loving mine.

AF680263-5E90-4ADA-9077-697F8CFF3F7A.jpeg

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

5 hours ago, Hookasaurus Rex said:

I really don’t think the t100 are that small.  Here is a pic of my T100s and p790 7 iron next to each other.  Regardless, I find them plenty forgiving.  I’m loving mine.

AF680263-5E90-4ADA-9077-697F8CFF3F7A.jpeg

Nice, thanks for the pic, that's kind of crazy, would have thought the 790s would engulf them.  I think the appearance of the T100s comes off small on their own, but when you toss them down next to comparable clubs, and some others they really are not far off shape wise.  T

• Like 1

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

WITB

• 1 year later...
On 10/20/2020 at 10:37 AM, Seidinho said:

Surprised by the negative opinions on the HMBs. I played 2 rounds and 2 range sessions with them and was overall impressed.

Let’s ignore the fact that they’re absolutely beautiful, but performance and feel was great - they felt much more “solid” than p790 or Apex. It’s hard to explain, but when hit right, they felt soft, but still solid (like, “thump”), whereas p790 or apex felt hollow and clicky. The HMBs aren’t as soft as a t100 type iron, but for me, that was not a problem. They honestly felt great.

For some reason, gapping from 9i to PW was a bit weird and I did not love the feeling of the PW. If I settle on them, would have to tinker with the lofts a bit or get a combo wedge in there. The long irons were stellar and I liked them much better than some of the other clubs out there. 

Would you say the 790s are more forgiving than the HMB? 

17 hours ago, CMZ24 said:

Would you say the 790s are more forgiving than the HMB? 

Yes, I think the p790 is the more forgiving club. The HMB is the better feeling and arguably better looking one. Depends on what matters to you in an iron. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve never been able to hit them side by side on the same day. But have been able to hit the HMB vs my ZX7 as well as the T100 vs my ZX7 on the same days. 

I found Srixon and Titleist being a tight 1/2, with Mizuno being a distance 3…

There was 3 things that put Srixon in my bag vs Titleist:

1. Price…they were cheaper per stick

2. Grip choice is much better for free options (to me, Tour Velvet sucks in FL humidity!)

3. Shaft upgrade cost…Titleist wanted $17 per shaft for Modus 120 whereas it was a stock option with Srixon ( best feel/fit for me)

• Like 1

100% 4-AW or even 5-AW.

The lofts are strong in the clubs and I think the 5i is 23.5 degrees. I personally like a 4 hybrid better. 

definitely get the AW. It’s only 50 degrees and you’ll probably need it to transition between actual wedges and irons.